HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zetterberg better than Gretzky?

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2005, 12:29 PM
C-J...*

vCash: 500
Zetterberg better than Gretzky?

Well atleast I got your attention

In all seriosity, what do you think of him? Could he be considered a star or even a superstar?

In my mind he´s got the skills of a superstar, and the workethics of a 4:th-liner (thats a good thing), that combo should make him something really special.

Too bad he lacks that crucial speed... but other than that, there´s not many other players like him, is it? Strip Alfredsson of his speed and you´ve got Zetts, and then remember that Zetterberg is a better player today, than Alfie was at this stage in his career.

Old
12-13-2005, 12:38 PM
doublejack

One could argue that Zets is the best player on the team. What he lacks in speed he makes up for in effort and two-way play. And lately he's really come alive, ever since he was moved to center a couple games ago. I think he's a legit star, with superstar potential.

Old
12-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Goldark

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-J...
Well atleast I got your attention

In all seriosity, what do you think of him? Could he be considered a star or even a superstar?

In my mind he´s got the skills of a superstar, and the workethics of a 4:th-liner (thats a good thing), that combo should make him something really special.

Too bad he lacks that crucial speed... but other than that, there´s not many other players like him, is it? Strip Alfredsson of his speed and you´ve got Zetts, and then remember that Zetterberg is a better player today, than Alfie was at this stage in his career.
I think 2 things keep Zetterberg from reaching superstar status, and keep in mind that you can be a superstar and not have either of these; I'm just talking about what Henrik can realistically add to his arsenal in the near future. One, as you mentioned, is explosive breakaway speed. He's not slow by any means, but sometimes has a hard time pulling away. This can be worked on with leg and core strengthening, which will also make him harder to knock off the puck. The other is a wicked release. His shot is decent, but not great. Add some speed and sniping skills, and you have yourself a monster of a player that would be the complete package.

Old
12-13-2005, 12:46 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
One could argue that Zets is the best player on the team. What he lacks in speed he makes up for in effort and two-way play. And lately he's really come alive, ever since he was moved to center a couple games ago. I think he's a legit star, with superstar potential.
I'd say he's definitely the best player on the team. Datsyuk runs hot and cold, and could be the most TALENTED player. Shanahan is the best pure goal scorer. But Zetterberg is the total package. There isn't anything he doesn't do well, except maybe faceoffs.

Some posters didn't believe me when I said he carries the team, and that's a leadership trait. He's carried them for the past 2 weeks now, and he's clearly been the best player on the ice the past 3 games.

Old
12-13-2005, 02:16 PM
vladdy16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldark
I think 2 things keep Zetterberg from reaching superstar status, and keep in mind that you can be a superstar and not have either of these; I'm just talking about what Henrik can realistically add to his arsenal in the near future. One, as you mentioned, is explosive breakaway speed. He's not slow by any means, but sometimes has a hard time pulling away. This can be worked on with leg and core strengthening, which will also make him harder to knock off the puck. The other is a wicked release. His shot is decent, but not great. Add some speed and sniping skills, and you have yourself a monster of a player that would be the complete package.
His shot is far better than decent. He doesn't have a rocket slap shot, but his ability to get the puck on the net regardless of his body position is something special. Watch more carefully and you'll see that there are plenty of times where the average player would have taken a pass and had difficulty controlling it because it's not right out in front of them on their tape. Henrik can take that same pass, and catch it, and then shoot it from the same semi-awkward position and get a scoring chance that an average player would never have gotten.

I've said this for the past 2-3 years, but I think Henrik is one of the more underated players in the game. His vision, passing ability and overall offensive skill is in the elite status, but on top of that his back checking is magnificent(he strips players of the puck so effortlessley) his work ethic is second to none, and he has the ability to not only score the spectacular goal, but the garbage grunt work goals as well.

Old
12-14-2005, 02:41 PM
heywood*

does anyone know if gretzky ever took a -4?

Old
12-14-2005, 02:45 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywood
I'll bet he did in his Rangers years. Would be interesting to look up, if I had the time...

Old
12-14-2005, 02:53 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywood
My money is on yes. His teams never were the most defensively sound, and he was -86 from '92 to his retirement.

Old
12-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Coffee and 7's*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldark
then he whould be even better than fedorov

Old
12-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Fryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakdak
then he whould be even better than fedorov
we all wish...but...not there yet

Old
12-14-2005, 11:21 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryer
we all wish...but...not there yet
Zetterberg will never, ever be as good as Fedorov was in his prime.

I like Z a lot. He looks much better at center.
I was thrilled to see him step up and take the reigns for a few games.

But settle down people.

That -4 he took the other night ought to chill you mofos out.

Old
12-15-2005, 05:06 AM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack

Agreed. Well i am a big fan of his so i am biased somewhat. Still trying to get a wings jersey so i can get Zetterberg stitched on.

Old
12-15-2005, 06:32 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-J...
A very good player. A boarderline "star" status would maybe be appropriate.

Old
12-15-2005, 10:54 AM
Captain

Zetterberg is perhaps the teams best forward, but he still doesn't rate superstar. He does play better at center and I hope the coach leaves him there, even when Lang returns.

Old
12-15-2005, 10:58 AM
Coffee and 7's*

in sweden he is almost as big star as forsberg...

Old
12-15-2005, 11:08 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakdak
in sweden he is almost as big star as forsberg...

True, but the NHL isn't the SEL.

Closed Thread