HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Stone (Ottawa 178 overall)

Old
12-29-2011, 09:29 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

vCash: 1000
Roman Wick did pretty sick in the 2010 Olympics. What ever happened to him?

But seriously, Stone is something special. Hopefully he can keep this going into summer, do awesome at training camp, and BOOM, Calder for Stone.

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 09:35 PM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Stone would have 10 goals playing for Russia right now. That team is a dominant net presence away from a huge offensive outburst.

Too cute. Fun to watch though.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Icelevel
Never Go Full Eugene

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
5 for Stone now

edit: he gets an assist on the 4th goal
game winner again

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Micklebot
I bee-beard'lieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensHero View Post
He was ranked in side the top 50 NA skaters at one point.
And once you add 20-25 Europeans, and a couple goalies, you get inside the top 70-80. Not to mention, rankings often stray from actual draft position, especially after the 1st round.

Not saying he wasn't a well thought of prospect, just that he was far from a guaranteed top 2 rounds pick, injuries or not.

Anyhow, that's just my opinion, and I'm far from an expert, so I'll leave it at that.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 01:04 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post
Per http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect/Roman_wick he's playing in Kloten and is under contract for another 3 years (started in July).

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 02:21 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
Huck Farper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Stone would have 10 goals playing for Russia right now. That team is a dominant net presence away from a huge offensive outburst.

Too cute. Fun to watch though.
Russia don't do net pressence.

As for Stone, its all head and hands. His skating will hold him back from being a star type player but he'll be a top 6 guy. If players like Matt Moulson can do it, Stone definitely can. There are just so few guys who understand where to go in the offensive zone when they're playing with playmakers. That plus his release makes him a sexy prospect. I also like the way he can be a net pressence on the PP and creep into the high slot for one timers ala Heatley. Few guys do that these days.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Russia don't do net pressence.

As for Stone, its all head and hands. His skating will hold him back from being a star type player but he'll be a top 6 guy. If players like Matt Moulson can do it, Stone definitely can. There are just so few guys who understand where to go in the offensive zone when they're playing with playmakers. That plus his release makes him a sexy prospect. I also like the way he can be a net pressence on the PP and creep into the high slot for one timers ala Heatley. Few guys do that these days.
He's been a stud with the puck in the corners and he always seems to find the right man. Fits the type of big forward prospect we've been looking for with picks like Noesen and Silfverberg that go to the net and don't strive to make it look pretty.

Just watching the replay of that goal he scored at the rookie tournament gives you a good look at how even with a month of specific skating work, it takes a while for it to gradually show. His skating right now is much farther along and cleaner than it was in August.

Old
12-30-2011, 03:03 PM
MoreGore

Stone is pretty good defensively, or so it appears to me. The other thing I find somewhat amusing, is that he is off the ice first, almost all the time. Watch for him and his line.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 03:27 PM
Manny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post

But seriously, Stone is something special. Hopefully he can keep this going into summer, do awesome at training camp, and BOOM, Calder for Stone.
Silfverberg is getting the Calder next year. No doubt in my mind.

You mad, Granlund?

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 03:53 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreGore View Post
Stone is pretty good defensively, or so it appears to me. The other thing I find somewhat amusing, is that he is off the ice first, almost all the time. Watch for him and his line.
Which is why I think he could have a stamina issue, being a big guy maybe he tires easily. It's something I have noticed & saw him struggle to the bench a couple of times which looked like he was winded. It's something I think the Sens will work on with him which could be another reason he starts next season in Bingo & to adjust to the speed of the pro game.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Tuna99

Stone's gonna have a tough time tomorrow night versus the U.S., Denmark and Czech had two defensive players in front of him all night and he still scored, but Campbell in net versus the U.S. might be the best goalie Stone's faced in his career.

I hope he breaks the record, but it'll be tough.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Sensfanman

Stone's speed is fine but his stride is terrible. That might be why he's off quickly, he seems to take a lot of strides to get somewhere quickly. But he's still damn good and just imagine how good he can be if his skating improves even more?

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:47 PM
BondraTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfanman View Post
Stone's speed is fine but his stride is terrible. That might be why he's off quickly, he seems to take a lot of strides to get somewhere quickly. But he's still damn good and just imagine how good he can be if his skating improves even more?
He reminds me A LOT of Luke Adam. Same size, and same type of player. Both guys had skating concerns, he reminds me of the exact player.

BondraTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 09:17 AM
MoreGore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Which is why I think he could have a stamina issue, being a big guy maybe he tires easily. It's something I have noticed & saw him struggle to the bench a couple of times which looked like he was winded. It's something I think the Sens will work on with him which could be another reason he starts next season in Bingo & to adjust to the speed of the pro game.
That had occurred to me as well. It may be an issue that can be corrected via training, or it may be a physical issue. Beats me. As mentioned it could be a inefficiency in his stride as well. Powers should be able to fix that I would think.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 09:50 AM
koreaboy

i guess our template for his skating has to be spezza. when spezza came up he wasnt as bad a skater as stone is, but he sure wasn't quick. slow feet and not much of a top gear at all. you really have to hand it to him though- he worked his a$$ off to the point where he's still not great accelerating, but he actually has a pretty good top gear when he gets up a head of steam and he can beat guys to the outside with his feet now. he was never able to do that his first year or two.

you hope stone takes the same path. someone his size and with his apparently slow feet might never be sakic-esque off the mark, but you hope he becomes at least average with a decent top gear if he works on it.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 10:15 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
i guess our template for his skating has to be spezza. when spezza came up he wasnt as bad a skater as stone is, but he sure wasn't quick. slow feet and not much of a top gear at all. you really have to hand it to him though- he worked his a$$ off to the point where he's still not great accelerating, but he actually has a pretty good top gear when he gets up a head of steam and he can beat guys to the outside with his feet now. he was never able to do that his first year or two.

you hope stone takes the same path. someone his size and with his apparently slow feet might never be sakic-esque off the mark, but you hope he becomes at least average with a decent top gear if he works on it.
It'll probably be enough for Stone to just fill out and get stronger, continue to get into better shape and improve leg strength. On top of that he'll probably just do what he did last year....something few, if any, of our prospects do and that's saddle up in Ottawa and skate with the instructor.

Zack Smith had issues too, hell, his stride still looks worse than Stone's....but Smith gets around real good these days.

If you're willing to put the work in, it can be overcome....it's barely even a question. Stone's already gone above and beyond to prove he's willing to do whatever it takes.

Old
12-31-2011, 11:00 AM
otown

Time and time again it's been proven that top juniors can't make the transition to the next level. He certainly knows his way around the net but lets be realistic, as much as we hope he is a "diamond in the rough" he has lots to work on before the door is opened in the NHL. Skating is the big issue as has been noted.
Corey Locke comes to mind, although Stone is much bigger and more aggressive.

otown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:11 AM
Tuna99

Quote:
Originally Posted by otown View Post
Time and time again it's been proven that top juniors can't make the transition to the next level. He certainly knows his way around the net but lets be realistic, as much as we hope he is a "diamond in the rough" he has lots to work on before the door is opened in the NHL. Skating is the big issue as has been noted.
Corey Locke comes to mind, although Stone is much bigger and more aggressive.
Stone is also 5 times bigger then Locke. Spezza used to have skating issues as a Junior and was considered a poor skater, so many do make it and excel.

Stone's skating is made a bigger issue then it is, he has to work on it, but his game is in front of the net, Huberdeau carries the puck into the zone for Stone and Stone goes to the net, it will be the same in Ottawa - Spezza, Zibby or Turris will carry the puck into the zone and Stone will go to the net - his skating will be good for that and chasing into corners for looses pucks.

How many times do we see Greening or even Michalek carry the puck into the zone when they are on the ice? Almost never, it's always Spezza and Karlsson that do it, even though both are great skaters.

Old
12-31-2011, 11:38 AM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

If Stone was a 1st rounder, but everything else remained exactly the same, no one would care that his skating was sub-par. Fans use draft position as a crutch way too often when evaluating a player.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:46 AM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
If Stone was a 1st rounder, but everything else remained exactly the same, no one would care that his skating was sub-par. Fans use draft position as a crutch way too often when evaluating a player.
cause most 1st rounders don't have skating issues now-a-days since skating is so important.

i think he will make the nhl but his skating improvements will determine where he slots

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
For better or worse.

At some point you have to look to how far his skating has come in a year and consider that when projecting him 2-3 years down the road. Is it just going to randomly stall where it is now at 19? Or is it going to naturally evolve on its own? Or is it going to naturally evolve on its own and go even further perhaps with supplemental skating training?

Usually when guys are developing quickly, they don't just stall all of a sudden at 19. There are limits to how good his skating will get...but there's tons of guys in the NHL, big guys that play in top 6 20-29 goal roles that have skating ability that Mark Stone could reasonably aim at with work ethic.

It's hard for some to believe, but there are tons of guys that have passed over that could have done the same...but they passed over the NHL because they didn't know work ethic. So far Stone's volunteered to do the work. It's a good sign.

Old
12-31-2011, 12:21 PM
Micklebot
I bee-beard'lieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
cause most 1st rounders don't have skating issues now-a-days since skating is so important.

i think he will make the nhl but his skating improvements will determine where he slots
Bobby Ryan did. I know it's just one example (I'm sure there are more), but after taking a couple seasons to work on it, he has become what Anaheim was looking for when they drafted him.

Granted, Stone's skating probably is worse than Ryan's was, but the point remains.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 12:28 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
Bobby Ryan did. I know it's just one example (I'm sure there are more), but after taking a couple seasons to work on it, he has become what Anaheim was looking for when they drafted him.

Granted, Stone's skating probably is worse than Ryan's was, but the point remains.
Corey Perry.

He overcame it because he was competitive as ****.

Old
12-31-2011, 12:36 PM
Philadelphia Collins

Use him solely for offensive zone starts in Ottawa. Boom! problem solved

Philadelphia Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 12:46 PM
Tuna99

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
Jared Cowen was another that was said he had to improve his skating big time, and he did. Even last year at the WJC when he was clearly a great skater, these boards were filled with comments about how slow he was and could't compete or turn properly.