HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Stars & GBR: Game 36 @ Florida Panthers

View Poll Results: 3 Stars
Carl Hagelin 54 46.96%
Henrik Lundqvist 87 75.65%
Ryan Callahan 14 12.17%
Brad Richards 62 53.91%
Ryan McDonagh 9 7.83%
Brian Boyle 3 2.61%
Brandon Dubinsky 53 46.09%
Michael Del Zotto 42 36.52%
Ruslan Fedotenko 2 1.74%
Dan Girardi 2 1.74%
John Mitchell 1 0.87%
Derek Stepan 1 0.87%
Anton Stralman 4 3.48%
Stu Bickel 2 1.74%
Other 7 6.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-31-2011, 10:47 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
On Rupp--not as talented as Avery but he's still a legit NHL player who can play 10 minutes per game if you need him--knock in a goal now and again and can handle the rough stuff. He's not Prust redux. I love what Prust brings--but he can't really handle the legit heavyweights. Rupp can at least hang with them and last night we got another look at what a Rupp can bring to the team and it's a major reason why I was okay with that signing. Maybe for this team's purposes Rupp is our version of the 94 Stanley Cup winning Rangers Kocur. He's not nearly as feared as Joey was but he provides a comfort zone for the rest of the team to operate in. Skill isn't everything. It takes an assortment of variables to build a winning team. And Rupp is not a complete hack as a player--like Booggard, Brashear.

As for the scrum I can understand what Kopecky did and why--don't think it was right but it is a team bonding moment when Rupp pulls him out of the arms of the striped guys and starts wailing on him. I'd be furious at Kopecky if MDZ was actually hurt but for now I think it's the kind of thing that can make the team even better.

At least for now the three teams in the East setting themselves apart are us, Boston, Philadelphia. The Bruin team looks like a real juggernaut. That's a tough team. To beat them we're going to have to be tough too. So we need guys like Rupp, Prust and Bickel to lead the way in that department. I like Avery. I wish we could slot him in but it ain't happening. That corner's been turned. We've got 4 games to play against Boston in the second half. To win I'm thinking we've got to go through them. It's not going to be easy.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 10:50 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

The problem is, our last two enforcers were just bad hockey players. At least Orr could take a regular shift, and Rupp has been alright.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 10:51 AM
mcsauer2738

Against Boston we must have Bickel in the lineup to match with their toughness, either he'll have to be called back or he'll still be on the team as the 6th/7th. If we go into that game with Rupp, Prust, Bickel I'm confident that we won't be pushed around by Thornton, Lucic, Chara, McQuaid and company

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 10:54 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Please dont mention Boyle in references like this..You watch the games right?
Contrary to popular belief, Boyle does hit people all the time. It's just that people expect him to just murderize the entire opposing team because of his size, and he simply does not possess the killer instinct that would turn him into the animal everyone seems to want in a guy that big.

Last edited by Blueshirt Special: 12-31-2011 at 10:54 AM. Reason: he
Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:08 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
Against Boston we must have Bickel in the lineup to match with their toughness, either he'll have to be called back or he'll still be on the team as the 6th/7th. If we go into that game with Rupp, Prust, Bickel I'm confident that we won't be pushed around by Thornton, Lucic, Chara, McQuaid and company
Rangers and Bruins are built along similar lines. I think we have an edge in goal. I think they have an edge in toughness. I like our defense corps a lot better--especially if we're adding Staal back into the equation. We don't have a Chara though. I think overall we're better as far as youth. These two teams though might be headed back to the days when they were main rivals.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:17 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
you were watching a different game to me.

I'm not convinced by any stretch that a D corps with a 1st pair of Campbell-Garrison is going to be anywhere near the incredible tag.
Campbell played 29 minutes and was everywhere. He is absolutely a 1st pairing defenseman.

Garrison has only just emerged. Regardless of how much more he improves, Kulikov is going to be a 1st pairing defenseman very soon, while Gudbranson (who isn't being developed properly mind you) has potential to be a top pairing guy. Not to mention Weaver is a very good depth defenseman.

It's much less about their top pair and more about their depth. Their defense is already very good, while being young as well.

If you didn't notice, aside from the 1st line that is playing way over of their heads, their defense was dominant. They move and shoot the puck as good as any core in the league.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:25 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Seriously, did like NOBODY see what MDZ did???

I love the kid, but it was only a sucker punch because he turned he looked away from the guy he just cross checked in the head(funny none of the replays emphasize what MDZ did, just the punch)

Again, under circumstances leading to "sucker" punch, I agreed with that shot too.

Sam "Protect yourself at all time"

Will Smith in MIB "Don't start nothing, won't be nothing"

Why the hell should a player get his cheap shots rewarded with an 'honorable'(ROFL) reaction. ******* really.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:26 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post

I love the kid, but it was only a sucker punch because he turned he looked away from the guy he just cross checked in the head(funny none of the replays emphasize what MDZ did, just the punch)

Again, under circumstances leading to "sucker" punch, I agreed with that shot too.

Why the hell should a player get his cheap shots rewarded with an 'honorable'(ROFL) reaction. ******* really.
.....oh, and **** YEAH RUPP!!!

Old
12-31-2011, 11:29 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Ah so few understand....Great post...What I wouldlove next game is for Rupp to go after Kopecky again and not fight Barch or whoever they dress...Send the message to him again!
agreed, but why stop there... Rupp should get his phone # and leave nasty messages on his answering machine for a month

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:30 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
agreed, but why stop there... Rupp should get his phone # and leave nasty messages on his answering machine for a month
"Ya dead, Kopecky! Ya ****in' dead!"

Old
12-31-2011, 11:31 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

He crosschecked him in the soldiers and gets punched in the face.

And do you think MDZ just randomly crosschecks him?

Old
12-31-2011, 11:36 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
"Ya dead, Kopecky! Ya ****in' dead!"
he'd lose sleep every night and have pre game diarrhea

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:37 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
He crosschecked him in the soldiers and gets punched in the face.

And do you think MDZ just randomly crosschecks him?
Never saw a guy get his helmet knocked clean off his shoulders.

Old
12-31-2011, 11:38 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

..and no, not randomly. He was routinely playing Kopecky in front and got a lil carried away and took his shot in the mouth. Simple as that.

Old
12-31-2011, 11:39 AM
nyrleetch

Good for Rupp sticking up for Del Zotto. Loved watching Koepecky try and escape.

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:39 AM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Campbell played 29 minutes and was everywhere. He is absolutely a 1st pairing defenseman.

Garrison has only just emerged. Regardless of how much more he improves, Kulikov is going to be a 1st pairing defenseman very soon, while Gudbranson (who isn't being developed properly mind you) has potential to be a top pairing guy. Not to mention Weaver is a very good depth defenseman.

It's much less about their top pair and more about their depth. Their defense is already very good, while being young as well.

If you didn't notice, aside from the 1st line that is playing way over of their heads, their defense was dominant. They move and shoot the puck as good as any core in the league.

i completely disagree their D was dominant. They go 4-0 down early and NYR take their collective feet of the gas.

I think the Panthers are another team like the Islanders whose youth are constantly getting overhyped.

just my opinion though. i've been wrong before.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:41 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Never saw a guy get his helmet knocked clean off his shoulders.
You don't think it had to do with him violently lunging forward?

It looks like a shoulder check to me.

Old
12-31-2011, 12:20 PM
cenas*

If sucker punching was a correct way to response every time something happens in a battle in front of the net, we'd have insane amount of concussions

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 12:25 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
You don't think it had to do with him violently lunging forward?

It looks like a shoulder check to me.
It's a cross check to the shoulders. In the same motion, on the follow through, Del Zotto high stick's Kopecky while he's turned around and knocks off his helmet. Looks like Kopecky thought that was intentional.

Kopecky must have assumed Del Zotto was being dirty and hit him in the head with his stick. Clearly the course of action is not sucker punching him, he should have squared off with an aware Del Zotto and not one looking away.

I'm happy Rupp stood up for Del Zotto. So many times in the past few years i've seen other teams taking liberty with ours. It's good to have some reinforcement.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 12:45 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
You've never heard the phrase "the straw that stirs the drink?" He was talking about Weiss and how he's the key player that makes his line go. There's nothing strange about saying that.
Joe **** the phrase up that's what the OP was referring to...he said the straw that keeps the drink together.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 12:52 PM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayhat View Post
If sucker punching was a correct way to response every time something happens in a battle in front of the net, we'd have insane amount of concussions
very good point. that's the problem here. del zotto made a bad hockey play. stupid. cheap. whatever. but kopecky took it up a few notches. apples and oranges. but rupp did sort it.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 01:07 PM
ruckus*

Strong game. Glad to see Richie Rich get going again. Going to need him to stay consistent throughout the course of the season.

I would have LOVED to have seen the reaction if it were Avery instead of Rupp at the end of the game. Guarantee half our fan base would be complaining about what a gutless puke Avery is to jump a guy who isn't a fighter and punch him in the face when he's on the ice.

But Mike Rupp did it so rock on!

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 01:40 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Strong game. Glad to see Richie Rich get going again. Going to need him to stay consistent throughout the course of the season.

I would have LOVED to have seen the reaction if it were Avery instead of Rupp at the end of the game. Guarantee half our fan base would be complaining about what a gutless puke Avery is to jump a guy who isn't a fighter and punch him in the face when he's on the ice.

But Mike Rupp did it so rock on!
Avery wouldn't have done what Rupp did, sorry to tell you.

Old
12-31-2011, 02:02 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Avery wouldn't have done what Rupp did, sorry to tell you.
Yeah I forgot, Avery's never stood up for his teammates before. You're right. Who was the first guy to defend Gaborik after he was cheap shotted like Del Zotto? Oh that's right. The guy who wouldn't do that. Just shut up.

My point is that if that exact same thing played out that way and it was Avery instead of Rupp, people would be talking about how gutless Avery is for pummeling a guy who isn't a fighter and hitting him while he was on the ice.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 02:03 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Yeah I forgot, Avery's never stood up for his teammates before. You're right. Just shut up.

Sorry buddy, it's the truth.