HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jeremy Lin forces TWC/MSG to come to an agreement

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-30-2011, 03:00 PM
  #51
nyrmessier011
Registered User
 
nyrmessier011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Charlotte/NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,347
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
I definitely wouldn't switch providers if I were yous.

95% of the time these things get resolved between 12 hours before the deadline and a few days after.

In the meantime, watch a game or two on streamo. I recently moved out of the area and have been doing that until I get everything set up and can buy center ice for a reasonable price. The quality on streamo is great, you can manage a game or two, which I'd imagine you won't even need to since it should get resolved before the first MSG game in 2012.


Last edited by nyrmessier011: 12-30-2011 at 03:08 PM.
nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 07:46 PM
  #52
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
i wish they'd just do something like not include MSG in the basic packages, and charge you $1 / month if you want it.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 07:56 PM
  #53
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
it's a god damn joke, last year it was dish, this year it's TWC, next year verizon's gonna get cut off.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 10:07 AM
  #54
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Not to get OT here, but I've been told that Vulkano products are cheaper and better than slingbox. Worth looking into.
http://www.myvulkano.com/products.html
thanks. going to look into it.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 10:12 AM
  #55
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Is this a new law that just went into effect? As far as I'm aware you have been allowed to have a dish of up to 3M in diameter for the past 10+ years...BUT with the caveat that nobody can restrict you as long as the area you place it is under your exclusive control. Basically if you have a private balcony you can't be prevented. However, you can't place it on your rooftop or on the facade of the building without permission. So for most people who live in NYC a dish is not really a doable option. For everyone who has a private balcony facing the South/Southwest there are likely 9 others who are stuck with cable.
Honestly, not 100% sure. In my building, we had a guy with a dish (directtv) and the co-op board had been after him to take it down. His argument was it was sitting on his airconditioner and not attached to the building, but he lost in the end. I remember reading last year about the city passing a law prohibiting buildings to enter exclusive agreements with providers. They can offer discounts, but can't prohibit residents from choosing a different provider. I'll have to email the lawyer who gave me that info. She is a friend of my wife, and gave me the info over tailgating, so I'll need a more detailed explanation.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 10:17 AM
  #56
blueshirt4lyfe
Registered User
 
blueshirt4lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
Maybe I'm not reading this right, but I thought that this quote meant we wouldn't have to worry till the end of the season.

Quote:
In the carriage renewal fight between Time Warner Cable and MSG, the MSO Sunday put the negotiating ball in the programmer's court.
Time Warner Cable pledged that it would not take MSG and its sister regional sports network, MSG + off its air through the balance of the NBA and NHL seasons, offering to pay a 6.5% increase in monthly subscriber license fees.
The parties' have evidently been negotiating for two years and their contract expires on Dec. 31. On Friday, Time Warner Cable dropped music network Fuse.

"We will not remove MSG/MSG+ from our New York cable systems. That ball is in MSG's court," said Mike Angus, senior vice president, content acquisition for Time Warner Cable, in a statement. "Time Warner Cable and our customers have stood by MSG and its teams through thick and thin. Our customers have paid whether the teams won or lost; they deserve better."
http://www.multichannel.com/article/...n_MSG_RSNs.php

blueshirt4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 10:26 AM
  #57
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,418
vCash: 500
I just called Time Warner and asked for an update. The woman said no agreement yet and I may lose the service today. I told her that if they are not going to carry Knicks and Rangers games, then they might as well stop conducting business in NYC. I also don't understand why they don't have these contracts expire during the off-season.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 10:41 AM
  #58
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
I definitely wouldn't switch providers if I were yous.

95% of the time these things get resolved between 12 hours before the deadline and a few days after.

In the meantime, watch a game or two on streamo. I recently moved out of the area and have been doing that until I get everything set up and can buy center ice for a reasonable price. The quality on streamo is great, you can manage a game or two, which I'd imagine you won't even need to since it should get resolved before the first MSG game in 2012.
just looked up streamo. seems like they have movies, didnt see anything about sports.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:17 AM
  #59
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
I just called Time Warner and asked for an update. The woman said no agreement yet and I may lose the service today. I told her that if they are not going to carry Knicks and Rangers games, then they might as well stop conducting business in NYC. I also don't understand why they don't have these contracts expire during the off-season.
Because that would be intelligent and pro-consumer.

We are going to have this problem until we INSIST our goverment recognizes that THE PEOPLE own the right to the lines under which cables are run, and we should not allow any construct in which Time Warner, Cablevision, this one, that one, the other one, gets off with a cheap deal.

The minimum standard SHOULD BE:
1 People authorizes govt which authorizes cable providers, who must bend, buckle and break to the will of the people, or let the taxpayers lay out to do this once and for all and not get their pockets continually picked.

2 We should have the cables serviced/upgraded and paid for directly by taxpayers, so that providers will not extort consumers with added charges above and beyond cost.

3 We then say that any provider can negotiate any package with any consumer, as a manager on behalf of the government on behalf of the people (consumer taxpayers). However, no consumer should be forced to take largely undesirable packages to subsidize crap and drive up cost of what is desired.

4. That means a minimim of the real news channels for a cheap minimum basic package, and then pay for each additional channel, possibly enhanced by group bundles -- you only want MSG + yes, fine, you want more sports, MSG, Yes, + ESPN, etc = volume discount.

Most importantly, to do all this we need more than complain here, but get after state and federal legislators to legalize the above construct exclusively, so we don't give providers the opportunity to ream us.

To do that, we need to first elect politicians who are consumer friendly and hold them accountable.

IMO, this means no evil greedy conservative republicans, and mods, I qualified that with IMO so it should be not objectionable and good to stay up. (There is no question that while all parties are flawed, one party is more pro business at all costs, screw the middle class and little guy in the process --- and it aint the Democrats.)

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:20 AM
  #60
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 17,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshirt4lyfe View Post
Maybe I'm not reading this right, but I thought that this quote meant we wouldn't have to worry till the end of the season.



http://www.multichannel.com/article/...n_MSG_RSNs.php
Sounds like Dolan can yank MSG, but TWC is saying they're not the ones getting rid of it?

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:30 AM
  #61
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshirt4lyfe View Post
Maybe I'm not reading this right, but I thought that this quote meant we wouldn't have to worry till the end of the season.



http://www.multichannel.com/article/...n_MSG_RSNs.php
Sorry I haven't had chance to read every post if this was already covered.
In light of the above by TWC, do we as consumers have any basis to be able to go into court and launch any kind of a lawsuit, perhaps a class action lawsuit, against our interest as consumers, meaning we can possibly at least force

either
MSG to carry games through end of season/playoffs
or
NHL to force Rangers to have MSG games assigned to 3rd party, possibly Versus, at no extra charge?

I'm not sure we have enough consumer protection to carry the day, but we may be able to get a Temporary Restraining Order and put this off for a couple of months.. Also someone, preferably an attorney, would have to initiate the suit, whiich is comparative bupkus to set up, but possibly $$$$$$$ in attorneys fees if you ultimately lose in federal court.

In NYS State court, it is not certain you won't get with atty fees, although they are usually more lenient there.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 12:48 PM
  #62
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Honestly, not 100% sure. In my building, we had a guy with a dish (directtv) and the co-op board had been after him to take it down. His argument was it was sitting on his airconditioner and not attached to the building, but he lost in the end. I remember reading last year about the city passing a law prohibiting buildings to enter exclusive agreements with providers. They can offer discounts, but can't prohibit residents from choosing a different provider. I'll have to email the lawyer who gave me that info. She is a friend of my wife, and gave me the info over tailgating, so I'll need a more detailed explanation.
Was the AC unit in/above his private balcony? Otherwise you are generally not even permitted to have your AC unit extend beyond the building facade. Or perhaps you live in a landmarked building? I know that historic sites are exempt from this law. Also, if the installation poses a safety hazard the law does not apply either. If it were installed (even in an area one's exclusive control) in such a way that a strong gust of wind could knock it onto property/people below it would also be forbidden.

Yes, new contracts with buildings are non-exclusive. I just installed FiOS in several of my buildings where TWC and even RCN already provide service.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 01:07 PM
  #63
SRTtoZ
Registered User
 
SRTtoZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,801
vCash: 500
My recommendation is if you have an alternative to TWC then switch. TWC is just as crappy as CV. I know a lot of people in here are saying they will hold out until the very last minute, which may be true, but I know last year everyone said the same thing about the Fox/CV dispute. I was without the Giants and Yankees (playoff) games for a month so thats not always true.

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 01:45 PM
  #64
MatthewNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
No Yankees playoff games were affected by the CV dispute last season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTtoZ View Post
My recommendation is if you have an alternative to TWC then switch. TWC is just as crappy as CV. I know a lot of people in here are saying they will hold out until the very last minute, which may be true, but I know last year everyone said the same thing about the Fox/CV dispute. I was without the Giants and Yankees (playoff) games for a month so thats not always true.

MatthewNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 01:55 PM
  #65
SRTtoZ
Registered User
 
SRTtoZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewNYR View Post
No Yankees playoff games were affected by the CV dispute last season.
the season before. sorry time fly's when you have fios

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 03:10 PM
  #66
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron
 
Mr Atoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
That is actually illegal now in NYC. A lawyer also told me that there was an FCC ruling making it illegal for a building to say you cannot have a satellite dish.

Not true. The FCC has no jurisdiction over buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Is this a new law that just went into effect? As far as I'm aware you have been allowed to have a dish of up to 3M in diameter for the past 10+ years...BUT with the caveat that nobody can restrict you as long as the area you place it is under your exclusive control. Basically if you have a private balcony you can't be prevented. However, you can't place it on your rooftop or on the facade of the building without permission. So for most people who live in NYC a dish is not really a doable option. For everyone who has a private balcony facing the South/Southwest there are likely 9 others who are stuck with cable.
This is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Honestly, not 100% sure. In my building, we had a guy with a dish (directtv) and the co-op board had been after him to take it down. His argument was it was sitting on his airconditioner and not attached to the building, but he lost in the end. I remember reading last year about the city passing a law prohibiting buildings to enter exclusive agreements with providers. They can offer discounts, but can't prohibit residents from choosing a different provider. I'll have to email the lawyer who gave me that info. She is a friend of my wife, and gave me the info over tailgating, so I'll need a more detailed explanation.
A coop owner only owns shares in the corporation. The coop board can force you not to alter any structure outside your apartment.

Competition on cable TV is restricted by area. If you can keep a satellite dish on your property you can use it. But if you live in a Time Warner area you can't get Cablevision.


The Dolans are crooks. They jack up the price on MSG and try to force people to drop any service that won't pay it. They really should have their license revoked but they bribe politicians so that won't happen.

Mr Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:15 PM
  #67
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
looks like MSG/TWC pulled the channel.

**** you MSG
**** you Dolans
**** you TWC

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:29 PM
  #68
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,510
vCash: 500
According to TWC, MSG pulled the plug. It's the only leverage that MSG has. I'm not switching--it's a hassle and there's no guarantee that this won't happen to another provider when their contract ends.

Prices only go up, not down. Both parties are to blame--and the system that created the monopolies in the first place.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:33 PM
  #69
AZNDevil
Yay band.
 
AZNDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Morgantown, WV
Country: United States
Posts: 7,628
vCash: 500
So is it a better option to just wait out this situation and hope the sides come to a resolution soon as opposed to switching providers?

AZNDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:45 PM
  #70
trueblue30nyr
Registered User
 
trueblue30nyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZNDevil View Post
So is it a better option to just wait out this situation and hope the sides come to a resolution soon as opposed to switching providers?
That's what I'm doing.

trueblue30nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:13 AM
  #71
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
im going to wait a little while, if it doesn't get resolved i'm switching, because watching the rangers is one of the main reasons i get cable TV.

The other main reason I get cable TV is the yankees games.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:32 AM
  #72
SRTtoZ
Registered User
 
SRTtoZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZNDevil View Post
So is it a better option to just wait out this situation and hope the sides come to a resolution soon as opposed to switching providers?
It depends...

DirectTV and Fios are great options and not only because of this dispute BS but because they are superior products. You can wait it out but like I said you need to weigh how important these things are to you...


Last edited by SRTtoZ: 01-01-2012 at 12:38 AM.
SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:39 AM
  #73
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP
 
poeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,044
vCash: 500
can i get directv in manhattan's apartment building?

I have TWC and these guys wont let me put a satellite outside my house and i cant get fios

This is ****ing pathetic. I hate MSG those ****ing *******s

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:41 AM
  #74
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
if i saw one of the dolans at a bar i would glass him.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:44 AM
  #75
SRTtoZ
Registered User
 
SRTtoZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
can i get directv in manhattan's apartment building?

I have TWC and these guys wont let me put a satellite outside my house and i cant get fios

This is ****ing pathetic. I hate MSG those ****ing *******s
It depends on your apartment but most likely no. Manhattan gets screwed because its all TWC and only a select few are wired with Fios.

How much does it suck that you're a fan of the team thats cutting its feed to you? BS if you ask me...

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.