HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

a for fun 06-07 roster fun talk..

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2005, 04:22 PM
GoBoltz56
Mantha's Coming

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
Hmm, that's an interesting idea but I'm not sure if there's going to be a goalie worth going after. Legace might be the best guy on the market, as strange as that is to say.
Nabokov and Turco are UFA's this summer.

Old
12-13-2005, 04:23 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Hmm, that's an interesting idea but I'm not sure if there's going to be a goalie worth going after. Legace might be the best guy on the market, as strange as that is to say.
I highly doubt they'll go after a goalie, but Turco and Nabokov would be out there on the market if they don't re-up.

Old
12-13-2005, 04:25 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
I highly doubt they'll go after a goalie, but Turco and Nabokov would be out there on the market if they don't re-up.
Turco would be the target of choice then, but everyone who needs a goalie is going to want him.

Old
12-13-2005, 05:17 PM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Turco would be the target of choice then, but everyone who needs a goalie is going to want him.
I think that you are right. I be wouldn’t surprised to see Dallas resigning him for a long term deal, same go’s for Nabokov

Old
12-13-2005, 09:09 PM
KM

Even if Fischer comes back, they still need Lidstrom plus another top-4 defenseman, bare minimum.

Some more accurate numbers:

Signed
Datsyuk (3.9)
Lang (3.8)
Zetterberg (2.65)
Draper (2.128)
Maltby (1.44)
Holmstrom (1.368)

Schneider (3.3)
Kronwall (1)

= 19.586 million

To sign
Lidstrom (5)
Shanahan (3)
Williams (900k)
Samuelsson (850k)
Grigorenko (850k)
Hudler (700k)
Franzen (650k)
Cleary (550k)

Legace (1.2)
Howard (700k)

= 14.4 million

Which would put them at 13 F, 3 D, 2 G and just a hair under 34 million. So they should have 5-7 million to add a top-4 defenseman and a couple of solid bottom pairing guys. The situation looks better if Fischer can come back, as they could look for a quality d-man for around 1m as well as a top-4 guy for 2.5-3+.

How much they have to spend on a top-4 defenseman will ultimately be a function of what it costs to retain Lidstrom, Shanahan, Samuelsson and Williams.

The question is: who will be available in the range that they will have to spend?

Old
12-13-2005, 09:27 PM
KM

No point in discussing Redden/Chara/McCabe IMO. Chara will probably end up somewhere near the max and the other two at 5 per or more. The Wings need a guy who could play well in the role as a #2 on other teams and whose calling card is physical play/defense rather than puck movement/positional non-physical play.

Mattias Norstrom
Pavel Kubina
Keith Carney
----
Brendan Witt
Karlis Skrastins
Jay McKee

Also available will be Kim Johnsson and Philippe Boucher.

If the cap goes up and Lidstrom is reasonable, they could be in pretty good shape!

Lidstrom-Norstrom/Kubina
Schneider-Fischer/Witt
Kronwall-Witt/punishing defensive D

What's Kubina worth? He's making 2.66 this year, I believe. Same question for Norstrom, who is getting the same. Who are some physical/tough guys who are better than a no. 6/7?

Last edited by KM: 12-13-2005 at 10:53 PM.
Old
12-14-2005, 06:42 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
I really hope the Wings don't throw money at a "stud" goaltender. If they sign someone to a 4 or 5 year deal it pretty much kills Jim Howard's career in Detroit, and that would be awful. This kid is going to be special, and I'm willing to bet he'll be a beast in the playoffs.

Old
12-14-2005, 04:29 PM
Coffey77

Wouldn't mind Detroit either going with Howard or trying for a guy like Turco or Nabokov. Kolzig i think is a UFA too. I'd look at him as well. Goaltending is the first position Detroit has to figure out. Is Howard ready for number one duties next year? If not, try hard for one of those 3 veterans.

Then adding a power forward or at least some size up front to complement the potential youngsters in Grigorenko (really hope he comes up to Detroit next year), Filppula and Hudler. My guess is that Hudler and/or Williams may get moved. I wonder what UFA forwards are available.

Defense may need a good defensive d-man, preferably one that is a decent skater.
I'd like Chara but he is going to be too expensive. I figure Lidstrom will be back along with Schneider, Kronwall and Lebda. Who knows about Fischer. Chelios could come back and I wouldn't mind that and Quincey will probably need another year in Grand Rapids.

Old
12-14-2005, 05:29 PM
GoBoltz56
Mantha's Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffey77
Is Howard ready for number one duties next year? If not, try hard for one of those 3 veterans.
Howard isn't even capable of being a starter in the AHL at the moment, let alone the Redwings starter next year..let the kid develop for a couple years.

Old
12-14-2005, 10:34 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I don't think I've done this yet...

Holmstrom-Lang-Hudler
Grigorenko-Datsyuk-Williams
Samuelsson-Zetterberg-Shanny
Cleary-Franzen-Kopecky

Lidstrom-Kronwall
Kaberle-Schneider
Lebda-Chelios
Jason Marshall

Osgood
MacDonald

If Maltby and Draper continue to not produce this season, I can definitely see the wings working to get them off the team before next seasons begins. They just make too much cash for strictly defensive players, but that's also going to make dealing them that much more difficult. With Kaberle, he just seems like a guy Holland would gun for, and Marshall sounds cheap. The 13th forward will be some vet player who is looking for a contract, a league minimum sort of guy.

Old
12-14-2005, 11:04 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
I really hope the Wings don't throw money at a "stud" goaltender. If they sign someone to a 4 or 5 year deal it pretty much kills Jim Howard's career in Detroit, and that would be awful. This kid is going to be special, and I'm willing to bet he'll be a beast in the playoffs.
I have to say Sarcastro...you are by far the most optimistic person when it comes to the Wings minor leaguers. You already have Kronwall's Hall of Fame ticket punched. You think Lebda, Quincey and Meech will be mainstays on the Wings blueline for years to come, and now you say Howards career is going to be "special".

I love your enthusiasm for these guys. But again...not 1 of them has proven anything yet.

Old
12-15-2005, 12:02 AM
jacK

Quote:
was Turco's career killed with Belfour in front of him? watching Turk for a couple years would be very beneficial for Jim, rather than throwing him out there expecting him to be a stud himself.
a sure way to kill his career would be to play him 65 games in his second season, and have a bunch of games like we saw last night. i'll bet he'll be a beast, but not in the next couple of years.
sign a stud, let Jim gain experience in the AHL, then work him into the #1 roll steadily. throwing him into the fire will do nothing but hurt his development.

Old
12-15-2005, 06:21 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
I have to say Sarcastro...you are by far the most optimistic person when it comes to the Wings minor leaguers. You already have Kronwall's Hall of Fame ticket punched. You think Lebda, Quincey and Meech will be mainstays on the Wings blueline for years to come, and now you say Howards career is going to be "special".

I love your enthusiasm for these guys. But again...not 1 of them has proven anything yet.
I'm not as optimistic on Meech because he hasn't played any games for the Wings and he's not tearing up the AHL at all. He does have good speed and puck skills, which bode well for his future in hockey.

I am very optimistic about Quincey, because he is essentially the number one defenseman for GR despite the fact that he's only been a pro for 25 games or so and he's only 21 years old. That says a lot about the type of player he is.

I'm also optimistic about Lebda because IMO he's played enough games with the Wings for us to get a good read on his NHL prospects. He is very fast and is good with the puck, which again are keys to success in the post-lockout NHL. He plays his man effectively and throws the occasional hit and I haven't noticed any glaring giveaways or repeated defensive errors on his part - again, good signs.

No one can say that these guys are absolutely sure things, but I would say we know what we have in Lebda, we should have a pretty good idea of what we have in Quincey, and Meech is still something of a mystery but does have potential.

As to the Turco/Howard issue, I don't blame Howard for the loss to the Thrashers. The team's defense was atrocious all night and I'd say only one of the three was his fault. My point about the guys like Turco is that they will want a 4 or 5 year deal for big money, wherever they go. And teams like Colorado and Atlanta will give it to them because they're desperate for goaltending. Signing a big UFA goalie to a 4 or 5 year deal would be terrible for Howard's future with the Wings. Assuming he goes back to GR and gets another 30 starts, he could be ready to be the Wings' backup next season, and possibly more going forward. If they let him rot in GR for the next 4 years it won't do him any good, and they will have wasted their best goaltending prospect in the last 15 years. I guess I just like the kid and I want to see a homegrown Wings goalie for once. Not to mention the money they'd save for 8 or 10 years, not having to outbid anyone for him.

Old
12-15-2005, 01:07 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
As to the Turco/Howard issue, I don't blame Howard for the loss to the Thrashers. The team's defense was atrocious all night and I'd say only one of the three was his fault. My point about the guys like Turco is that they will want a 4 or 5 year deal for big money, wherever they go. And teams like Colorado and Atlanta will give it to them because they're desperate for goaltending. Signing a big UFA goalie to a 4 or 5 year deal would be terrible for Howard's future with the Wings. Assuming he goes back to GR and gets another 30 starts, he could be ready to be the Wings' backup next season, and possibly more going forward. If they let him rot in GR for the next 4 years it won't do him any good, and they will have wasted their best goaltending prospect in the last 15 years. I guess I just like the kid and I want to see a homegrown Wings goalie for once. Not to mention the money they'd save for 8 or 10 years, not having to outbid anyone for him.
\

I half agree with you on this. If the Wings can lockup a Turco type of goalie for 3-4 years at a reasonable salary, I think they should do it. The Wings have produced 1 homegrown goalie in the past 10-15 years that has ammounted to anything and that is Chris Osgood, everybodys whipping boy.

Howard, Liv, McDonald. All good prospects, but no guarantees.

Idealy, I wish they would go out and get an Olaf Kolzig type for a 2 year deal and let Howard play 60 games a year in Grand Rapids the next 2 seasons. But I have heard that Kolzig has no desire to ever leave Washington. Has something to do with his sons illness.

Closed Thread