HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Goalie controversy - Winter Classic edition

View Poll Results: From a fan's perspective, Bryz or Bob for the Winter Classic?
Bryzgalov 29 31.87%
Bobrosky 62 68.13%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-31-2011, 12:40 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

vCash: 500
It should be BOB. But it will be the bum.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 12:40 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
And it completely ignores the fact that certain goalies are best in certain defensive schemes / with certain coaches, etc.
The best thing you have ever said in "the goalie conversation"

THIS is what we have.

Bobrovsky wasn't the difference vs the Pens.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 12:53 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
The best thing you have ever said in "the goalie conversation"

THIS is what we have.

That's actually not what I was trying to say...

What I was trying to say is that certain defensive schemes aren't conducive to certain types of goalies.

Phoenix played a more defensively responsible scheme while Bryz was there and as a result, lateral movement and fighting through screens weren't quite as important and neither was ability to stop breakaways.

In Philadelphia, we have built our team to be the exact opposite. Our defensemen put the pressure on in the offensive zone and regularly attempt to jump into the play / pinch, often giving up odd man rushes. We also seem to give up an inordinate amount of turnovers off passes out of our own zone. As a result of this scheme, Laviolette's scheme, lateral movement, fighting through screens, and ability to stop breakaways are a premium for Flyers goalies.

Bob flat out does a better job of this than Bryz. And on top of all that, his positioning has been much more solid than Bryz's has this year. And he's out and out just wanted it more.

I still think Bryz can be successful here even being the slowest guy moving laterally that I've ever seen, but his positioning needs a lot of work... and that's an area he was supposed to already have down pat.

He needs to take a seat.

And btw, I out and out disagree with you about the Pittsburgh game. If Bryz is in net, I whole heartedly believe we lose that game. Bob had some pretty nifty lateral moves to stop shots that I feel Bryz would've never been capable of making. Bob was also quite good w/ his positioning, making sure some random shots didn't beat him on the short side (other than the Kennedy top-shelf rocket. Bob also adjusted to his mistakes, not going down early on a shot by Malkin after being beaten by Kennedy.

Bob deserves the start, Bryz deserves to ride the pine.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 01:38 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
That's actually not what I was trying to say...

What I was trying to say is that certain defensive schemes aren't conducive to certain types of goalies.

Phoenix played a more defensively responsible scheme while Bryz was there and as a result, lateral movement and fighting through screens weren't quite as important and neither was ability to stop breakaways.

In Philadelphia, we have built our team to be the exact opposite. Our defensemen put the pressure on in the offensive zone and regularly attempt to jump into the play / pinch, often giving up odd man rushes. We also seem to give up an inordinate amount of turnovers off passes out of our own zone. As a result of this scheme, Laviolette's scheme, lateral movement, fighting through screens, and ability to stop breakaways are a premium for Flyers goalies.

Bob flat out does a better job of this than Bryz. And on top of all that, his positioning has been much more solid than Bryz's has this year. And he's out and out just wanted it more.

I still think Bryz can be successful here even being the slowest guy moving laterally that I've ever seen, but his positioning needs a lot of work... and that's an area he was supposed to already have down pat.

He needs to take a seat.

And btw, I out and out disagree with you about the Pittsburgh game. If Bryz is in net, I whole heartedly believe we lose that game. Bob had some pretty nifty lateral moves to stop shots that I feel Bryz would've never been capable of making. Bob was also quite good w/ his positioning, making sure some random shots didn't beat him on the short side (other than the Kennedy top-shelf rocket. Bob also adjusted to his mistakes, not going down early on a shot by Malkin after being beaten by Kennedy.

Bob deserves the start, Bryz deserves to ride the pine.
I didn't see a save that Bob made that I didn't think the current Bryz is capable of making.

I agree with you about the Flyers style of play, Bryz and MOST goalies are going to fail with it. I think BOB will fail with it, when the guys in front of them don't come to play. Because this system is more focused on getting offensive pressure than having 5 men back commited to D.

I have a very short list for goalies that I believe are true difference makers by themselves and complete goaltenders (athletes + mentally there) Flury, Thomas, and probably Ward. IMO EVERY other goalie in this league needs the team in front of them to give some effort.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 01:41 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post

Bob didn't need to be the difference vs. the Pens.

Bryzgalov didn't need to be the difference vs. all the opponents he's gotten destroyed by. Unfortunately he's been so bad that he's made himself the difference.

We don't need a goalie that makes spectacular saves, but we certainly need a goalie that doesn't put us down by 2 before we even start the game.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 06:36 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Bob made some good saves which saved the momentum, something that Bryz hasn't done.

StandingCow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 06:56 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

People forget so quickly that it took Bob a full year to play within the system that we have in Philly. Patience isn't something philly fans have.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 09:42 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
People forget so quickly that it took Bob a full year to play within the system that we have in Philly. Patience isn't something philly fans have.
I know Bryz still maybe has to get used to our system, but you are comparing a rookie to someone that is supposed to be a franchise goalie.

Old
12-31-2011, 09:55 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
What StandingCow said.

But honestly, for the sake of our franchise, I hope you're right. This better just be Bryzgalov warming up.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 10:06 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Voted for Bryz. They gave him the contract and he should play.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 10:38 AM
JoeFlyer

On the bright side Bryz can't get worse...

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:02 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
What StandingCow said.

But honestly, for the sake of our franchise, I hope you're right. This better just be Bryzgalov warming up.
Bob actually got off to a spectacular start last season. He played a ton of games early and then managed to exhaust himself. Also, other teams figured him out after the first half.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:20 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Bobo has made large strides from last year.

He challenges the shooter more and has immensely improved his puck playing abilities. He still needs to stand up a bit more, but he is still young and has tons of potential to improve.

Now Bobo has his wife with him, so he wont be depressed. And hopefully he is accustomed to a longer season and 60+ starts. He must have been depleted at the end of last year.

Bobo deserves to play the WC and may give the team the best possibility to win now, but I still think we need to have some patience with Bryz.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:48 AM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFlyer View Post
On the bright side Bryz can't get worse...
Bryzgalov has been very inconsistent. When he's been on, he has been very good. He's also had bad nights and also had night's where the D hasn't been good in front of him, Tampa in particular. He does need to keep his game at a higher level consistently and can't be as up and down. The way some fans and the media are going on, it's all his fault and he's been bad all year. That's simply not accurate.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 01:16 PM
StandingCow

Yea, but even if the D plays badly in front of him, he should be able to steal some games, that is why he got a big contract.

Old
12-31-2011, 02:05 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

I say bryz just so we dont have to deal with the goalie controversy on national television again..

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 02:39 PM
WeekendAtBernies

The controversy was just settled.

Sign Bernie to a 1 day veteran minimum contract... he's better than Bryzgalov.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 02:39 PM
Icedog2735

After those saves I'll take LaForest to start on Monday!

Icedog2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 04:57 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog2735 View Post
After those saves I'll take LaForest to start on Monday!

or little..

in fact all 3 of the goalies that played for us today, were excellent..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 06:24 PM
sobrien
Oshie Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
or little..

in fact all 3 of the goalies that played for us today, were excellent..

I couldn't believe the game ended 3-1 I was expecting something like a 21-16 barn-burner. All the goalies played great. Blackburn and Little were fresh off their careers, so at least they went head to head

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 09:35 PM
Xegiie

i was also expecting more goals something like 8-7 at least, but there was more nice saves than goals hehe

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 09:57 PM
Flyerfan4life

yea it really was a goalie showcase..

/tiphat to the goalies for both sides.. excellent display of talent esp. given the age/fitness level of those guys.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 10:15 PM
MsWoof

It was nice to not worry about the goalie! It was so great to see Bernie in net again.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:37 AM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

Wyshynski, Dave Isaac, and Anthony San Flipo(sp?) all tweeting Bob will start the winter classic. Bryz responded with "we have a chance of winning now."

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:42 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL44 View Post
Wyshynski, Dave Isaac, and Anthony San Flipo(sp?) all tweeting Bob will start the winter classic. Bryz responded with "we have a chance of winning now."
Good move by Lavy, but to Bryz. Send this man to a shrink; he's ****ed in the head.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote