HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Stone (Ottawa 178 overall)

Old
12-31-2011, 01:56 PM
Micklebot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
Jared Cowen was another that was said he had to improve his skating big time, and he did. Even last year at the WJC when he was clearly a great skater, these boards were filled with comments about how slow he was and could't compete or turn properly.
Not sure if that's a good example. His skating was considered an asset before the knee injury, it was just a matter of getting back to where he was.

Micklebot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 02:10 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Jared Cowen was another that was said he had to improve his skating big time, and he did. Even last year at the WJC when he was clearly a great skater, these boards were filled with comments about how slow he was and could't compete or turn properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
Not sure if that's a good example. His skating was considered an asset before the knee injury, it was just a matter of getting back to where he was.
It's not a good example.

Cowen's size and skating ability is the main reason he was a highly touted prospect. When 6'5 220 pound 17-18 year olds skate like Cowen did at that age....they become can't miss prospects. If they have a solid level of hockey IQ they have the potential to be more than that.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 03:19 PM
otown

Quote:
Stone is also 5 times bigger then Locke. Spezza used to have skating issues as a Junior and was considered a poor skater, so many do make it and excel.

Stone's skating is made a bigger issue then it is, he has to work on it, but his game is in front of the net, Huberdeau carries the puck into the zone for Stone and Stone goes to the net, it will be the same in Ottawa - Spezza, Zibby or Turris will carry the puck into the zone and Stone will go to the net - his skating will be good for that and chasing into corners for looses pucks.

How many times do we see Greening or even Michalek carry the puck into the zone when they are on the ice? Almost never, it's always Spezza and Karlsson that do it, even though both are great skaters.
Maclean is looking for guys who play a 200 foot game. Not taking anything away from Stone's scoring abilities as I have mentioned but he really labours going back and covering in a defensive role. I have visions of Chechoo when I see him skate and we all know what happened to him.

otown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 03:22 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by otown View Post
Maclean is looking for guys who play a 200 foot game. Not taking anything away from Stone's scoring abilities as I have mentioned but he really labours going back and covering in a defensive role. I have visions of Chechoo when I see him skate and we all know what happened to him.
He scored 50+ goals in a season before a disastrous injury?

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 03:43 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
It's not a good example.

Cowen's size and skating ability is the main reason he was a highly touted prospect. When 6'5 220 pound 17-18 year olds skate like Cowen did at that age....they become can't miss prospects. If they have a solid level of hockey IQ they have the potential to be more than that.
I was at Cowen's first development camp shortly after his knee surgery & I remember being very impressed with his skating. Although he seemed to have a little trouble pivoting it was really his only weakness & he has quickly improved in this area as well. Knee surgery will do that, twisting becomes difficult & painful but he seems to be fully recovered from it now. IMO skating is the least of our worries with Cowen he is turning into a very good two way defenceman who can do a lot of things well, including drop them if he has to.

Quote:
I don't think it has to do so much with his skating as his stamina although we all know he is working on his skating. He is usually the first guy on his line to get off the ice & doesn't seem to last a full shift. It could be because his role is to stand in front of the net so maybe he doesn't get enough skating in but IMO he needs to work on his cardio & lasting longer out there.

I think his first pro season they will work on this & get him into better shape. I would also imagine that once in Ottawa Tony Grego will get a hold of him & also get him into better shape. It could be the reason he starts next season in Bingo along with the fact that Ottawa has about 5 or 6 guys who could be ahead of him on RW, 4 of them on one way contracts.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 03:58 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I can understand if fans of other teams are basing Stone sorely off of his draft position and his play at the WJC but I figured Senators fans would know better than to omit his play in Brandon. Standing in front of the net and bashing in rebounds may be the entirety of his role during this tournament, but his game is much more well rounded.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 04:09 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
I can understand if fans of other teams are basing Stone sorely off of his draft position and his play at the WJC but I figured Senators fans would know better than to omit his play in Brandon. Standing in front of the net and bashing in rebounds may be the entirety of his role during this tournament, but his game is much more well rounded.
Going into this tournament he wasn't actually known for goal scoring. He's more a Mr. Everything in Brandon. When you play for these Team Canada teams they slot you in to very defined and specific roles.

Edit: Just adding to your point here.

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 12-31-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 05:09 PM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Going into this tournament he wasn't actually known for goal scoring. He's more a Mr. Everything in Brandon. When you play for these Team Canada teams they slot you in to very defined and specific roles.
This. Huberdeau is the playmaker on the line. Stone is doing his job putting the puck in the net. Stone has taken on the role of goal scorer. It's nice to see an Ottawa prospect with such great hands around the net.

VikingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 05:25 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Any yet a guy like Holmsrom has managed to keep his role with Detroit for years, a team known for their two way play.

Another guy you can look to and see some similarities is Tomas Vanek, who is a well below average skater in the NHL but has all world skills and smarts.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 06:04 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Ya, what a nightmare it would be if Stone scores 170 goals in 500 games for the Sens.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 06:22 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Any yet a guy like Holmsrom has managed to keep his role with Detroit for years, a team known for their two way play.

Another guy you can look to and see some similarities is Tomas Vanek, who is a well below average skater in the NHL but has all world skills and smarts.
He was a first round pick though, and anyone with half a brain knows only first rounders can ever make up for their short-comings.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 10:26 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

How is stone's overall fitness level? Does he have a lot of room to improve in that area?

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 10:33 PM
PKC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblad the Impaler View Post
How is stone's overall fitness level? Does he have a lot of room to improve in that area?
Is there a 19 year old in the whole world who doesn't?

PKC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:11 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
He was a first round pick though, and anyone with half a brain knows only first rounders can ever make up for their short-comings.
This is proposterous! He is a first round pick! So CLEARLY he has 100x more potential than Mark Stone!

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:38 PM
HSF

Quote:
1. Ryan and Perry were better skaters when they were drafted then Stone was when he was. Stone has made great strides but still has some ways to go we will see

2. Cowen always had speed he just got injured hence why he dropped

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:05 AM
4thliner*

Quote:
Pretty sure Cheechoo wasn't over 6-3 and over 200 lb. What Stone is doing leading that no name Wheat Kings team and raking up the points is amazing. There is a HUGE gap between him and the 2nd leading scorer on that team.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:08 AM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
1. Ryan and Perry were better skaters when they were drafted then Stone was when he was. Stone has made great strides but still has some ways to go we will see

2. Cowen always had speed he just got injured hence why he dropped
Perry was a TERRIBLE and awkward skater. I never EVER though he would be anywhere near as good as he has become when was he was in London. Him and Stone are excellent comparison.

Old
01-01-2012, 12:10 AM
4thliner*

Bobby Ryan was never a 'bad' skater, as in his stride. He was maybe little on the fat or wide side and could have improved his quickness. But his stride and skating mechanics was excellent. Otherwise no way any team would take him 2nd overall.

Old
01-01-2012, 12:32 AM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
1. Ryan and Perry were better skaters when they were drafted then Stone was when he was.
they also went in the first round. Ryan was 2nd overall. So it's kind of pointless to compare them at the time they were drafted.

I'm just excited to see how Stone plays out over the next couple of years. Nothing is guaranteed but it's pretty rare to have a 6th rounders stock rise this much this quickly.

Lenny the Lynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:43 AM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
they also went in the first round. Ryan was 2nd overall. So it's kind of pointless to compare them at the time they were drafted.

I'm just excited to see how Stone plays out over the next couple of years. Nothing is guaranteed but it's pretty rare to have a 6th rounders stock rise this much this quickly.
which is my point with some saying that draft rankings doesnt matter.

My point being that 1st rounders generally don't as bad skating as Stone did when he was drafting.

but hey who knows he can work on it become decent at it. Just look at Lucic

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 02:18 AM
4thliner*

I was just watching the replay again of the games.

Man I though Stone showcased his great play-making skills tonight. He was down right dominant in period 1 scoring, setting up Schwartz, and making a sick sick no look pass from the far corner to Huberduea who was all alone in front of the ney but could not finish.

Reminded me of that pass Heatley made to Havlat in round 1 against Tampa back in 06 playoffs that a redhot Havlat finished.

Who is old enough to remember that around here?

Old
01-01-2012, 02:27 AM
SpartaXVII

About the Stone/Cowen skating issue:

Stone was projected late 1st round to mid 2nd round pick at some point during his draft year but then took an arrow to the knee... Sorry Skyrim joke... But he did have a serious knee injury and GMs just didn't want to waste a pick on him.

Same thing with Cowen. He was ranked 3rd at some point during his draft year but also got a knee injury.

Also, remember Michalek's knee injury 2 years ago and how it impacted his game even last year?

Knee injuries sometimes take more than a year to readjust. Stone will improve.

SpartaXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartaXVII View Post
About the Stone/Cowen skating issue:

Stone was projected late 1st round to mid 2nd round pick at some point during his draft year but then took an arrow to the knee... Sorry Skyrim joke... But he did have a serious knee injury and GMs just didn't want to waste a pick on him.

Same thing with Cowen. He was ranked 3rd at some point during his draft year but also got a knee injury.

Also, remember Michalek's knee injury 2 years ago and how it impacted his game even last year?

Knee injuries sometimes take more than a year to readjust. Stone will improve.
Are you sure it was a knee injury? All I remember/can find anything on was the concussion and thumb injuries in his draft year.

Micklebot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:28 AM
KarlSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
Are you sure it was a knee injury? All I remember/can find anything on was the concussion and thumb injuries in his draft year.
+1

If it was a knee, is there a link or article to provide a bit more info?

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:14 AM
backdoorpass

there is no way perry was a better skater, he had zero ballance and was very slow, he fell over a ton as well, stone skating is fine right now plus it will get better, if your smart skating means a lot less

backdoorpass is offline   Reply With Quote