HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Work Stoppage next year.

Old
12-31-2011, 05:01 PM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

vCash: 500
Work Stoppage next year.

Aside from the fact that this would be horrendous, it could also be brilliant for us should we tank this year.The last lockout happened in the year that Sidney Crosby became draft eligible, and lead to a dramatic lottery for the right to draft him. It almost seemed poetic. Could it be that Nathan Mackinnon is destined to share the same fate and become the next one and if so, the standings of this season would be used to decide how many balls per team are put into the machine in which case the bottom 4 would receive 3. We could be one of those teams.

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 05:06 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
He'll 'miraculously' end up in Phoenix.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 05:07 PM
Roulin

I'm hoping they come to an agreement quickly, but also hoping for another buyout window, like last CBA

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 05:09 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

I doubt that there is a full year work stoppage. It would be catastrophic for the NHL to have to missed seasons in 10 years. I think the both the NHL and NHLPA know that, especially with the improved interest in the NHL overall. We wont have a missed season and I'll put money down on that.

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 05:28 PM
Pepin le bref

The league, owners and player association understand very well there can not afford another stoppage of play next year. Already 2 lockout's this past 20 years, the NHL's reputation would take a terrible hit if it was to happen a 3rd time.

The league and owners will give the NHLPA what they can afford to give them.

Pepin le bref is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 05:30 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

The top young players will ALWAYS end up on US teams... or Edmonton

Everyone knows Canadian teams are not permitted to suck to the utter depths of crapiness that US teams are... Fans in Canada don't accept that type of embarrassment.

... except in Edmonton

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 08:47 PM
Ford Prefect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
The top young players will ALWAYS end up on US teams... or Edmonton

Everyone knows Canadian teams are not permitted to suck to the utter depths of crapiness that US teams are... Fans in Canada don't accept that type of embarrassment.

... except in Edmonton

Or they trade those picks for a half-sack. I`m just sayin...

Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:54 PM
mrcontractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
I doubt that there is a full year work stoppage. It would be catastrophic for the NHL to have to missed seasons in 10 years. I think the both the NHL and NHLPA know that, especially with the improved interest in the NHL overall. We wont have a missed season and I'll put money down on that.
Improved interest ? 18 teams are losing money and Mario Tremblay said tonight on RDS that he will name 7 teams next week that he was told would sell their franchise if they could. Half empty arenas are a plenty and even the Habs ratings are way down (and even empty seats at the Bell). If anything, a lot of people are losing interest, so the NHL should really fix their **** and not even consider a stoppage.

mrcontractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:22 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Don't they do the draft lottery live? I don't see how it could be fixed.

Our chances to get the top pick in this scenario are 1/30 just like everyone else. Or if they use a weighted system then we have less/more chances than other teams. It's not a big conspiracy going on here.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:25 AM
Erdinger

Leafs PK unit has already started their work stoppage.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:27 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Don't they do the draft lottery live? I don't see how it could be fixed.

Our chances to get the top pick in this scenario are 1/30 just like everyone else. Or if they use a weighted system then we have less/more chances than other teams. It's not a big conspiracy going on here.
last time it was weighted towards the teams with the worst combined record over the previous 3-4 years i believe.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 07:16 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
Aside from the fact that this would be horrendous, it could also be brilliant for us should we tank this year.The last lockout happened in the year that Sidney Crosby became draft eligible, and lead to a dramatic lottery for the right to draft him. It almost seemed poetic. Could it be that Nathan Mackinnon is destined to share the same fate and become the next one and if so, the standings of this season would be used to decide how many balls per team are put into the machine in which case the bottom 4 would receive 3. We could be one of those teams.
I cant see a whole season next year

the salary floor is a joke where teams dont even generate the floor in revenue

also these ridiculous 10 year type deals, and also the rich teams being able to dump players in the minors and not count against the cap is a problem for the lower ranked teams

what is the point of a CBA if the Rangers have the ability to bury 20 mil in the minors
at some point you have to liable for your stupdity

plus Fehr is one tough SOB , I see a work stappage

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 08:00 AM
TheWhiteIdea

The NHL in America can say bye bye if there is another work stoppage. It won't survive as a whole.

TheWhiteIdea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
last time it was weighted towards the teams with the worst combined record over the previous 3-4 years i believe.
That is what i was gonna say.

We made the playoffs for the past 2 years. Missing the playoff this time around would only bring us to the exact same point as the last lottery having made the playoffs 2 out of 3 times.

Last time we actually got very lucky, as we were the team with the less balls that got a top 5 pick.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:05 AM
MJN79

The NHL also wants to cut down the revenues they share with players from the current 57% to 50% of the pie.
I really cannot imagine there would be a lockout or strike especially with what seems to be a growing popularity of the game in the US. Worst comes to worst, extend the current CBA one year to give you more time to work towards signing the next one.

MJN79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

No way there is a work stoppage. Both sides are relatively happy with the system, maybe a few tweaks, but I can't see any games wiped out.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:41 AM
NewEraGM

Thats actually not the way it worked. The draft order in 2005 was not only based on the standings from the previous season but the 2 before that one as well. I think if a team missed the playoffs in all 3 seasons, they got 4 balls, if the missed the playoffs in 2 seasons out of the 3 they got 3 balls, if they missed the playoffs in 1 season, they got 2 balls (hehe) and if they made the playoffs in all 3, they got 1 ball.

In fact, Montreal was sort of the winner of the lottery so to speak. The fact that we ended top 5 was very very very lucky...

NewEraGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:44 PM
MontrealHDTV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcontractor View Post
Improved interest ? 18 teams are losing money and Mario Tremblay said tonight on RDS that he will name 7 teams next week that he was told would sell their franchise if they could. Half empty arenas are a plenty and even the Habs ratings are way down (and even empty seats at the Bell). If anything, a lot of people are losing interest, so the NHL should really fix their **** and not even consider a stoppage.
Our average attendance is still a sellout this year?

MontrealHDTV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 01:03 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEraGM View Post
Thats actually not the way it worked. The draft order in 2005 was not only based on the standings from the previous season but the 2 before that one as well. I think if a team missed the playoffs in all 3 seasons, they got 4 balls, if the missed the playoffs in 2 seasons out of the 3 they got 3 balls, if they missed the playoffs in 1 season, they got 2 balls (hehe) and if they made the playoffs in all 3, they got 1 ball.

In fact, Montreal was sort of the winner of the lottery so to speak. The fact that we ended top 5 was very very very lucky...
Exactly... it wouldn't be good news since the team made the playoffs the last several years.

Let's just hope that this year it's either we make the playoffs or suck the hell up and finish with a lotery pick.

Knowing this organization, we'll finish somewhere around 20th in the league and draft a Kostitsyn like player (or probably a defenceman).

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 01:20 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
No way there is a work stoppage. Both sides are relatively happy with the system, maybe a few tweaks, but I can't see any games wiped out.
Donald Fehr loves to play hard ball. And the owners will probably like the possibility of fixing a couple of irritating things for them like the garanteed contracts.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Mr. Hab

If there's no NHL next season I'm not going to be happy about that.

None of them would have jobs without us hockey fans and they totally neglect fans.

They should do whatever it takes to make sure NHL has a season next year. Period. Fans pay the salaries of players, managers, owners, NHLPA, etc...

In case of the worst...we still have Gallagher, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Bournival and maybe Pribyl to look forward to. Bulldogs next season for all of them? (I wish Hamilton was closer to Montreal...we will have to rely on our Hamilton Hab fans for info ).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 01-02-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 05:15 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Donald Fehr loves to play hard ball. And the owners will probably like the possibility of fixing a couple of irritating things for them like the guaranteed contracts.
that's not a small thing

and i feel obliged to say: **** donald fehr

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:51 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Donald Fehr loves to play hard ball. And the owners will probably like the possibility of fixing a couple of irritating things for them like the garanteed contracts.
Not an easy fix, the players will likely fight this one tooth and nail and could very well strike over it.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:58 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
honestly, i like things the way they are. does anyone know what some of the major sticking points could be for both the owners and the players?

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:11 AM
BLONG7

The infrastructure is in place, it's now a negotiating game, and I think you will see both sides come to their senses...The PA know the owners drive the bus, so negotiate the best deal you can get, and get outta dodge...If Donald Fehr screws this up, the PA are screwed...ultimately the players lose on a work stoppage, it's been proven.

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote