HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

CGY/Detroit Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2005, 02:49 PM
Darth Milbury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty
I don't understand how Leopold has lost value so quickly. Oh wait, ya I do, it's hockeysfuture. Guys are stars one day and nothing the next. Leopold IS a 1st pairing dman regardless of what people seem to think. I for one don't want to see him moved.
And, what exactly makes him a first pairing dman? Does he generate first pairing offensive numbers? He had a decent year last season, but is not really putting up numbers at the present time. Is he especially strong defensively? Nope. I'd say he is average in that domain. Is he a bruising hitter? No again.

So, exactly what does Leopold do that should make him so highly regarded? He doens't dominate in any end of the ice and is not much above average in most domains.

I'd say he is definitely a top four dman, but nowhere near as good as you are suggesting.

And, as to the question of how he "lost value" - perhaps he never had the kind of value that some Calgary fans ascribed to him.

Old
12-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Z-berg plays 20-22 minutes per game, more than ANY other Wings forward. He is on the PP, the PK and EV and as some have mentioned he's a natural center (his preference) but he has been playing as winger most of the time here- that just changed about a week ago.

I go back and forth most days on whether I like him or Dats more, and at the moment he is at least a $1 million cheaper than Dats with a longer contract! He isn't leaving Detroit unless we get something to build a franchise around in return, IMO.

Old
12-15-2005, 03:01 PM
Olias of Sunhillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
And, what exactly makes him a first pairing dman? Does he generate first pairing offensive numbers? He had a decent year last season, but is not really putting up numbers at the present time. Is he especially strong defensively? Nope. I'd say he is average in that domain. Is he a bruising hitter? No again.

So, exactly what does Leopold do that should make him so highly regarded? He doens't dominate in any end of the ice and is not much above average in most domains.

I'd say he is definitely a top four dman, but nowhere near as good as you are suggesting.

And, as to the question of how he "lost value" - perhaps he never had the kind of value that some Calgary fans ascribed to him.
IMO his offensive game has always been somewhat overrated, but his defensive game has always been seriously underrated. He's very sound positionally, can play in all situations, makes a good first pass. His offensive numbers are down but he logs serious important minutes.

Just a very, very solid D-man, #2 on some teams, #3 on a championship calibre team maybe.

Old
12-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Flash Walken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
And, what exactly makes him a first pairing dman? Does he generate first pairing offensive numbers? He had a decent year last season, but is not really putting up numbers at the present time. Is he especially strong defensively? Nope. I'd say he is average in that domain.
What?
Average defensively?
He's the most positionally sound defensemen on Calgary's blueline, if that means anything to you.
Last year he was counted on to produce offensively, this season he has been removed completely from the #1 PP line, behind Hammer and Phaneuf. Hell, Ference has been getting more PP time than leo lately.

He isn't the most physical defensemen on Calgary's D, but then again, look at the defense. He certainly doesn't shy away from contact, and I've seen him lay out a few players, including a cycling-demon like H.Sedin against the boards.

Quote:
Value enough to be a #3 defensemen on team USA during the world cup.

Old
12-15-2005, 03:32 PM
Darth Milbury

I don't see how being #3 on the Canada Cup team impacts on his current trade value. The USA squad was not especially deep on defense, with players like Miller and Housley playing prominent roles. There were several players on that team who do not currently have high trade value. Anyway, trade value has nothing to do with the Canada Cup so it is sort of an irrelevant issue.

The point here is that he does have good value, but he was never elite like some of you make him out to be.

I agree that Leopold is sound positionally. But, it is not like he dominates in his own end of the ice. And, at this point, I still don't see him as being much above average defensively.

I think his eventual role will be as a #3 dman, who uses his skills primarily in a defensive role. He is sort of a young Keith Carney, with a bit more offensive upside and bit less defensive upside. he is a young player any team would like to have, but not at the level that would return a Zetterberg.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 12-15-2005 at 03:50 PM.
Closed Thread