HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery waived (UPDATE: Clears waivers; assigned to AHL)

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2011, 05:12 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

vCash: 500
Wow. Bit of a ****storm in here.

See? Avery is a cancer anywhere he goes, even the internet!

Khevlan is a ****ing king.

Old
12-31-2011, 05:14 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Its not a reputation, it's a not perception, its not a misunderstanding or a conspiracy. Its reality. Sean Avery is a *****, on and off the ice.

Some malcontent personalities are worth the risk. Sean Avery is not. Kudos to him though, his NHL shelf life was about as long as humanly possible considering what a nuisance he's been his entire career. He even got an absurd payment out of his circus act.
Every person that I've talked to that's met Sean Avery or had a conversation with him has had nothing but nice things to say to him. One poster on here said Avery got them food on the house and I know others who have gone to Warren that have gotten free drinks on him and have hung out with him for the night. He can't be that much of a ***** if he's doing all that for some of his fans now can he?

While I am a big Avery fan, I'm not really devastated by the move (may have said this earlier in the thread). Team is healthy and there really isn't a spot for him though I don't believe that's the reason why he's gone, much more to do with how Torts feels about him. There is no way in hell he gets called up now with those comments yesterday, he's down there for good this time.

12-31-2011, 05:16 PM
haveandare

I'm confused...the writer knows that more happened and asks why more wasn't reported but he doesn't report it himself? What am I missing?

Old
12-31-2011, 05:27 PM
Tom Atkins

This really isn't a shocker. He was already waived once. There just isn't a place for him on this team. Everyone complaining needs to move on. Maybe people are pissed b/c they wasted money on buying his jersey. I had a feeling this was going to happen a while ago with Prust playing a larger factor on this team then Avery.

Old
12-31-2011, 05:47 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
I doubt HBO care, he's hardly been in any of 24/7 and wasn't seen at all in pt3 that I can remember.

In fact you could go as far as saying that, for both 24/7 and this season, Sean Avery has been irrelevant....

I know Rupp has the skill to tell him this

Old
12-31-2011, 05:53 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
I'm confused...the writer knows that more happened and asks why more wasn't reported but he doesn't report it himself? What am I missing?
It's just another media hater trying to create negativity around Sean where nothing exists. This will blow over as well and everyone will see that he did nothing wrong, other than piss in Torts' Wheaties.

Old
12-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Every person that I've talked to that's met Sean Avery or had a conversation with him has had nothing but nice things to say to him. One poster on here said Avery got them food on the house and I know others who have gone to Warren that have gotten free drinks on him and have hung out with him for the night. He can't be that much of a ***** if he's doing all that for some of his fans now can he?

While I am a big Avery fan, I'm not really devastated by the move (may have said this earlier in the thread). Team is healthy and there really isn't a spot for him though I don't believe that's the reason why he's gone, much more to do with how Torts feels about him. There is no way in hell he gets called up now with those comments yesterday, he's down there for good this time.
I'm sure he's an alright person, and a fun guy to have a beer with. I'm talking about his professional life. The guy obviously has an issue with authority being he's pissed off every coach he's had outside of Renney.

Old
12-31-2011, 06:17 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
I'm sure he's an alright person, and a fun guy to have a beer with. I'm talking about his professional life. The guy obviously has an issue with authority being he's pissed off every coach he's had outside of Renney.
But he pissed off Johnny Cakes before they ever had a coach/player relationship. Tortorella plain doesn't like him, and didn't like him before they ever met.

Old
12-31-2011, 06:39 PM
E Nixson
Powered by Intel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
But he pissed off Johnny Cakes before they ever had a coach/player relationship. Tortorella plain doesn't like him, and didn't like him before they ever met.
Probably true, but it doesn't change the fact that he doesn't have a role on this team, and he hasn't for some time now.

Good riddance, and a happy new year.

Old
12-31-2011, 06:40 PM
bmw2004

He was called up most likely against Torts will. The reason for that was team inconsistency at that period of time. Now when team is doing great and all, Torts probably told his GM that he must go down back to the minors. At this point Sather can’t say a word. He can't stand him and doesn't want him close to the team. It is only my opinion.

Last edited by bmw2004: 12-31-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old
12-31-2011, 06:50 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achene View Post
I do not blame you for needing me to explain why Avery has not been claimed, and thus I forgive you before I explain.

The media doesn't like him because the media comprises liberal, emotional, little girls (you must love it) who will call for a full-scale police investigation if someone throws a banana on the ice when a black guy happens to be playing. Avery has done very few things wrong. He accidentally slashed Thomas. He ingeniously screened Brodeur. He pointed out that men love his sloppy seconds.

There's nothing wrong with any of that, but dunderheads will jump on the "feign moral standards in the NHL" bandwagon for no reason other than the media making it popular.
The media is liberal? The media is all over the place--politically speaking. Just choose your source. It can be anything you want it to be. But go on believing otherwise if it makes you feel better.

I don't agree with Brooklyn's remark by the way that Avery could have been picked up for free by 29 other GM's on 3 separate occasions this season. Avery comes with a cap hit which is out of line for a bottom line forward. He's still a legit player. The questions are 1) do you want to take a chance on a guy who might be a problem? and 2) can you afford to pay the cap hit?--this is a conundrum for Avery at least partly of his own making. I suspect though--if he wants to continue his hockey career--that some team will sign him in the off season but it will be for considerably less than what he's making now. If I'm not mistaken a team picking him up now takes on not the only the Rangers portion of his salary but the Dallas Stars portion as well--and together they combine for almost $4 mil per.

Last edited by NYR Sting: 12-31-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old
12-31-2011, 07:04 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Hockey View Post
Probably true, but it doesn't change the fact that he doesn't have a role on this team, and he hasn't for some time now.

Good riddance, and a happy new year.
That's not fact. It's opinion, and one I don't agree with. I won't lose sleep over it. I think this team is fine without him, but I think they're better with him. I think the coach has done some really good things this year, particularly his handling of Del Zotto, but I can only continue to hold the opinion that he has done nothing but make mistakes when it comes to his handling of Avery ever since he got here.

Old
12-31-2011, 07:05 PM
wr50l

I have no axe to grind. Avery wasn't ever given a fair shake by Tortorella; but I honestly doubt the outcome would have been significant if he was.

He was alienated because of a personality clash I am certain of that. With that said, coaches know how to avoid being fired and if Avery still had a contribution to give to the Rangers which couldn't have been provided by any one of several replacements then Torts would have tolerated him.

Old
12-31-2011, 07:26 PM
E Nixson
Powered by Intel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
That's not fact. It's opinion, and one I don't agree with. I won't lose sleep over it. I think this team is fine without him, but I think they're better with him. I think the coach has done some really good things this year, particularly his handling of Del Zotto, but I can only continue to hold the opinion that he has done nothing but make mistakes when it comes to his handling of Avery ever since he got here.
What does Avery do that we don't already have? Does he do those things better than the other bottom 6 players playing over him?

I personally don't think so. I don't think it's a mistake that, of the two 13th forward candidates, Tortorella sends down the one that is redundant, distracting, and not to mention costs twice as much against the cap.

Avery has been a thorn on Tortorella's side for as long as he could tolerate. I don't blame him at all for sending him down, twice. If he was a part of any other organization he would have been in the AHL (or KHL) a long time ago.

But you are right, it isn't a "fact" that Avery doesn't have a role on this team.... But it might as well be.

Last edited by E Nixson: 12-31-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old
12-31-2011, 09:29 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wr50l View Post
I have no axe to grind. Avery wasn't ever given a fair shake by Tortorella; but I honestly doubt the outcome would have been significant if he was.

He was alienated because of a personality clash I am certain of that. With that said, coaches know how to avoid being fired and if Avery still had a contribution to give to the Rangers which couldn't have been provided by any one of several replacements then Torts would have tolerated him.
Avery's role diminished as he took penalty after penalty in Torts first half-season here. You know how I know Avery DID get a fair shake? Because he was on the ice in crucial times to have the opportunity to take game-changing penalties, and he took full advantage in the Washington series.

Whenever a player falls off here, it's always "he didn't get a fair shot from Torts" and I'm calling shenanigans. I don't think I've ever seen a more straight forward coach about the line-up than Torts. You play well, you play, you don't, you sit or get sent down.

There's a reason Hagelin and Mitchell have stuck. It's the same reason Mitchell probably ends up back in the AHL (he's cooled down a lot). There's a reason Stepan, Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, Del Zotto, Sauer, etc. have all found a good spot here. They work hard and they produce.

Avery works pretty hard, the production isn't there anymore, and he does more harm than good with his penalties. For every penalty he draws, he takes two, IMO.

Old
01-01-2012, 12:23 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Can this please be the last of Avery? I would think with his remarks about the situation he will never be back up here.

Old
01-01-2012, 01:00 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Its not a reputation, it's a not perception, its not a misunderstanding or a conspiracy. Its reality. Sean Avery is a *****, on and off the ice.

Some malcontent personalities are worth the risk. Sean Avery is not. Kudos to him though, his NHL shelf life was about as long as humanly possible considering what a nuisance he's been his entire career. He even got an absurd payment out of his circus act.
I was being sarcastic.

Obviously, GMs are intelligent enough to look past the media reports on the guy and look past his reputation. These are savvy businessmen, not amateur punks.

Old
01-01-2012, 01:25 AM
XLJ

Dont know if this was posted. But the incident in Buffalo was that Avery had his mother and a family friend in the dressing room. That pissed Torts off. Gross wrote about it.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/pr...nce_again.html

Old
01-01-2012, 01:29 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wr50l View Post

This is a great post. And I'm an "Avery apologist."

I'll always enjoy Sean, but it's over and done with. The writing has been on the wall basically since we acquired him. Time for everyone to move on.

It's just pain.
Old
01-01-2012, 05:57 AM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
I have a feeling that this is not the last we will see of Sean Avery. For good or ill, he will play some part in the future. Whether for us or another team is the question.

Old
01-01-2012, 07:09 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post

Honestly, saying that Avery is a good guy because he bought some people drinks and food is asinine.

I bought like 30 people drinks tonight and i could be the biggest ******* on earth. Yet they're going to wake up tomorrow remembering me being that nice guy who bought them drinks.

And Avery makes 4 million bucks a year. I'm sure a plate of wings and a bud light isn't going to kill him. Trust me, I don't make anywhere near that so it's really not a big deal.

Not saying Avery is a dick, because i don't know him, but just pointing out, that's possibly the lamest reasoning behind him being a good guy. Especially with some of the **** hes "allegedly" said on and off the ice.

Please note, i am an avery fan.

Old
01-01-2012, 08:38 AM
eco's bones

However egregious Avery bringing people into the locker room was his relationship with Tortorella has never been good and he may have given his coach a good excuse to get rid of him. Whatever.

I like Avery and would like to thank him for a lot of entertaining hockey the last several years. Nonetheless a time comes for every player when their services are no longer required. It's the nature of the business.

Two questions and answers from my perspective:

1. Do I think Torts was absolutely fair with Avery in his time here?---No.
2. Is Avery one of our best 12 forwards?--Very debatable but close enough that you can argue that he's not one of our 12 best.

In any event whether marginalized by his coach or not he was no longer a core player on this team. He's been bypassed by younger and better players and there are at least a few more of them coming.
This is not something to get very upset about.

Old
01-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Honestly, saying that Avery is a good guy because he bought some people drinks and food is asinine.

I bought like 30 people drinks tonight and i could be the biggest ******* on earth. Yet they're going to wake up tomorrow remembering me being that nice guy who bought them drinks.

And Avery makes 4 million bucks a year. I'm sure a plate of wings and a bud light isn't going to kill him. Trust me, I don't make anywhere near that so it's really not a big deal.

Not saying Avery is a dick, because i don't know him, but just pointing out, that's possibly the lamest reasoning behind him being a good guy. Especially with some of the **** hes "allegedly" said on and off the ice.

Please note, i am an avery fan.
Hearing stories like that are the closest well get to knowing what he's "really" like. My friends been to his bar several times and hasn't paid for a thing. He even gave him food at Tinys. It's not just a one time "plate of wings and a bud."

Last edited by NYR Sting: 01-01-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old
01-01-2012, 11:22 AM
mullichicken25

The emotion surrounding the avery situation is unreal

The team is playing absolutely lights out, and the fanbase is up in arms about a completely irrelevant player

Avery has had zero effect on this season and there's no reason to think that was going to change

Old
01-01-2012, 11:42 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
The emotion surrounding the avery situation is unreal

The team is playing absolutely lights out, and the fanbase is up in arms about a completely irrelevant player

Avery has had zero effect on this season and there's no reason to think that was going to change
Spot on post.

What's all the commotion?

Closed Thread