HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What did the '08 Canadiens have that the '12 Canadiens don't

Old
01-01-2012, 11:03 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
We had a star forward that could score at any time and dominate game. We also had a star defensemen that could control the pace of the game and anchor both a PK and PP.

Its not surprising that year's team was good.

Right now our only star is in goal, and he's overworked.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

vCash: 500
Alex Kovalev.

A guy that could takeover the game when we were trailing. A guy that could gain the offensive zone like stealing candy from a toddler.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:08 AM
MTL-rules

Anyone who wrote luck should get their head examed.

Really, Kovalev was an offensive force, the kind a player we sorely need. PPG big offensive dynamo (sadly, it was only for a year). That first line of Kovalev, Plekanec and AK was dominant in each shift and it had nothing to do with luck.

They had a great offence and solid defensive play. But Carbo couldn't just adjust his game plan and that what cost this team... oh, that and Gainey stupidly trading the veteran goalie for no good reason whatsoever.

The year after, they had a down year and Stupid Bob blew the team up and brought high paid underperformers to replace them... worst 2 days in the last 10 years or so...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Our top-6 scorers were europeans... oh, and Streit as a top 2 line winger

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:13 AM
habscup

a dominant player in alex kovalev, who by the way we never replaced, his seasons of 65 pts in 69 games, 84 in 82 and 66 in 80 were never replaced, our great captain and his buddy gomez nor the arrogant cammaleri have come close to that. but its ok, when kovalev was here he was bashed every night, at least now people realize the grass is not greener on the other side!

habscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:21 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMTL46 View Post
Stable lines clicking (Higgins-Koivu-Ryder, AK-Plekanec-AK), health, number 1 powerplay and just everyone playing to expectations.
higgins koivu ryder ... ?

It really felt like a 4th line. 2 alcoholics and a hook-er.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Gally11

Finish

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:23 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

More K less G

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Help
Help Yourself

vCash: 135
Shooting percentage. That and an absolutely lethal powerplay. I'm probably just a crazy optimist, but I think with Markov's return this team is gonna start pulling out wins left, right, and center.

I still believe in this team

Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:38 AM
MJN79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
Shooting percentage. That and an absolutely lethal powerplay. I'm probably just a crazy optimist, but I think with Markov's return this team is gonna start pulling out wins left, right, and center.

I still believe in this team
You probably are right about Markov, my question is, will he really play this year, the guy hasn't played hockey for more than a year and judging with his amount of hockey played in the last 2-3 seasons, I don't think it would be smart and safe to count on Markov's presence. The guy was good, real good but how long will it take him to find his game back?

MJN79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Natural Habs Fan

Glad to see the Kovalev love. I still wear his jersey with pride. My favourite Hab since Patrick Roy.

Natural Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:54 AM
dm1371

Carbonneau.

dm1371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:08 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 0
they had players meeting and beating expectations
2012 habs have many players no meeting it

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierrynski View Post
Health, Luck, and Confidence
pretty much sums it up

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis

vCash: 50
from what I remember: EVERY player was pushing in the same direction. Everyone was involved.

+Healthy team and Kovalev at his best.

Theres not much difference, Montreal had an injured team in the last 3 seasons

Chris Pronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Captain Saku

A captain!

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:37 PM
sampollock

a team where everyone worked.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Habs

Amazing the importance of team chemistry.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:42 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

A 35 goal 84 pts motivated flying haired Kovalev , Carbonneau , Markov & Streit.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:43 PM
lou4gehrig

Why are you looking at 2008? Was that a successful year? Or did we overachieve and end up with the number one seed in the weak eastern conference?

This is the problem. People are satisfied with 2008 and are always looking to recreate that high standard. To me 1993 is the only measuring stick. Making it to the Cup finals and winning it.

News flash. In 2008, we were still light years behind Philly (who beat us), Pittsburgh, Detroit, San Jose, Anaheim. We barely beat Boston in round 1.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

A few things :

-A ton of luck. Everyone clicked and had their best possible season with almost no injuries. Things rarely come together like this. Players are human beings who have issues like everyone else.
-A great PP. It meant that even if we weren't that intimidating physically, teams couldn't do what they wanted with us for fear of paying the price with our PP. That's important if you want to ignore physical play altogether that you do have the offensive tools to make the other team pay. Otherwise nothing stops the other team from roughing your team up.
-SOLID goaltending with the Huet/Price tandem. Not that Price is horrible this year, but he's not playing up to his capabilities and is being overworked by a desperate coaching staff who had planned on playing the backup more but are caught in a vicious cycle of trying to make up for the bad streak at the start. Playing him too much is squandering our advantage of having a good goalie since he's not playing well anymore. Back then, we had Huet-Price and that was a great tandem similar to rask/thomas but not as good. But I guess Gainey had to go **** that up and then Price crumbled in the playoffs (understandable since he was 20) and they felt they had no other options but to keep riding Price into the ground.
-We were creative offensively. They weren't forced into doing the same low risk low reward plays until something gave at one end or another.
-Players were treated fairly in terms of opportunities and ice time. If you were good and were playing well you would get to play with good players and get ice time no matter if you were a younger player or not. Young players weren't immediately thrown under the bus at the first mistake and got chances to play big roles if they were capable. And they really helped that year (Plekanec, Higgins, Latendresse, SK, AK, Price, Lapierre, Grabo all aged between 20-24 and having little NHL experience not to mention Streit).
-We weren't tough but we weren't pushovers. Guys stood up for one another.

All I can say is that the 07-08 season was a lot of fun to watch. The only fun I've had watching the habs in the last 15 years of regular season play. Lots of great moments.. the NYR-habs come back... Kovalev incredible season.. the highlight reel goals from AK...That was fun. Even when we lost it was fun to watch. The current habs edition had all of its creativity removed little by little. They're robots with no emotion and it's incredibly boring. The 07-08 season was the only season where one could have a certain hope of the habs going all the way. Against the flyers where we lost, I never felt that we were in over our heads. We had tons of chances and it was just one goalie outplaying another (Biron VS Price).

That's not enough. I want more of that. One year out of 15 years just isn't cutting it for me. Before people bring up the 09-10 playoffs... hope people understand we never had a shot at winning it all that year. We squeaked into the playoffs on the last game with the lowest point total imaginable and rode a hot goalie to a 3rd round we might as well not have made it to since we got embarrassed once there. SOed 3 times in 5 games ? Unable to win if we didn't score first or even compete after that ? It was bad and embarrassing. Crosby put it best when he said (paraphrased) : How do you play against a team whose game plan is to get outshot ? If that was the game plan then that was sad, and our luck had to run its course eventually as soon as we didn't face a goalie/defense in complete meltdown.

This edition of the habs was not built properly. I can't believe people still defend the 09 summer moves. They were horrible moves. The team has been nothing but mediocre.

I want a long term plan. I don't accept the mentality that "once in the playoffs anything can happen". That's just settling for making the playoffs. If you need to fight for 82 games and play 110% all season long just to barely make it you're not in any shape to win it all once you make it. Players need to be able to relax a little and not have to play 110% every game for 82 games. They need a 5-10 games cushion at the end where they don't have to push hardcore where they can let up a little and heal small injuries and still have a hope to win those games.

We need a management with a different perspective. It doesn't have to be a complete rebuild since we do have some building blocks in place, but we have to pull off big signings and/or big trades if we can't get a star forward at the draft table. We can't squander assets at all like we have been doing with no return whatsoever. For that to happen the management has to be replaced. We need the best management, best scouts, etc. Hope Molson is ready to pay to get it if needs be.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:59 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Luck
exactly , one of those years when the moon and the stars lined up for us

health , players like Kovy who overachived , over expectations in the playoffs , etc..

problem folks is this , none of this is momentun or attainable years after

Boston can still win a cup cause thye have a great roster , and gm

where is Halak from his playoff heroics ? playing like he should now

Downie , Bergenhaim , etc... looked like front front liners , and now ?

often when too many things go your way reality stps in a year later

our lack of prospect development , too many players playing well on other teams with little or zilch to show for it , bad deals , poor signings and voila

the HABS OF 2012

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 01:07 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
A few things :

-A ton of luck. Everyone clicked and had their best possible season with almost no injuries. Things rarely come together like this. Players are human beings who have issues like everyone else.
-A great PP. It meant that even if we weren't that intimidating physically, teams couldn't do what they wanted with us for fear of paying the price with our PP. That's important if you want to ignore physical play altogether that you do have the offensive tools to make the other team pay. Otherwise nothing stops the other team from roughing your team up.
-SOLID goaltending with the Huet/Price tandem. Not that Price is horrible this year, but he's not playing up to his capabilities and is being overworked by a desperate coaching staff who had planned on playing the backup more but are caught in a vicious cycle of trying to make up for the bad streak at the start. Playing him too much is squandering our advantage of having a good goalie since he's not playing well anymore. Back then, we had Huet-Price and that was a great tandem similar to rask/thomas but not as good. But I guess Gainey had to go **** that up and then Price crumbled in the playoffs (understandable since he was 20) and they felt they had no other options but to keep riding Price into the ground.
-We were creative offensively. They weren't forced into doing the same low risk low reward plays until something gave at one end or another.
-Players were treated fairly in terms of opportunities and ice time. If you were good and were playing well you would get to play with good players and get ice time no matter if you were a younger player or not. Young players weren't immediately thrown under the bus at the first mistake and got chances to play big roles if they were capable. And they really helped that year (Plekanec, Higgins, Latendresse, SK, AK, Price, Lapierre, Grabo all aged between 20-24 and having little NHL experience not to mention Streit).
-We weren't tough but we weren't pushovers. Guys stood up for one another.

All I can say is that the 07-08 season was a lot of fun to watch. The only fun I've had watching the habs in the last 15 years of regular season play. Lots of great moments.. the NYR-habs come back... Kovalev incredible season.. the highlight reel goals from AK...That was fun. Even when we lost it was fun to watch. The current habs edition had all of its creativity removed little by little. They're robots with no emotion and it's incredibly boring. The 07-08 season was the only season where one could have a certain hope of the habs going all the way. Against the flyers where we lost, I never felt that we were in over our heads. We had tons of chances and it was just one goalie outplaying another (Biron VS Price).

That's not enough. I want more of that. One year out of 15 years just isn't cutting it for me. Before people bring up the 09-10 playoffs... hope people understand we never had a shot at winning it all that year. We squeaked into the playoffs on the last game with the lowest point total imaginable and rode a hot goalie to a 3rd round we might as well not have made it to since we got embarrassed once there. SOed 3 times in 5 games ? Unable to win if we didn't score first or even compete after that ? It was bad and embarrassing. Crosby put it best when he said (paraphrased) : How do you play against a team whose game plan is to get outshot ? If that was the game plan then that was sad, and our luck had to run its course eventually as soon as we didn't face a goalie/defense in complete meltdown.

This edition of the habs was not built properly. I can't believe people still defend the 09 summer moves. They were horrible moves. The team has been nothing but mediocre.

I want a long term plan. I don't accept the mentality that "once in the playoffs anything can happen". That's just settling for making the playoffs. If you need to fight for 82 games and play 110% all season long just to barely make it you're not in any shape to win it all once you make it. Players need to be able to relax a little and not have to play 110% every game for 82 games. They need a 5-10 games cushion at the end where they don't have to push hardcore where they can let up a little and heal small injuries and still have a hope to win those games.

We need a management with a different perspective. It doesn't have to be a complete rebuild since we do have some building blocks in place, but we have to pull off big signings and/or big trades if we can't get a star forward at the draft table. We can't squander assets at all like we have been doing with no return whatsoever. For that to happen the management has to be replaced. We need the best management, best scouts, etc. Hope Molson is ready to pay to get it if needs be.
GREAT POST

build it the right way , not the patch way we always do it

bang on bro , Gainey patch it brutally and PG is adding icing on the bad cake with Markov, Cole , etc... regardless of Cole`s 16 goals , wrong player for the wrong team at the wrong time , as usual
team needs an overhaul but it starts first with new management like Ciarelli and Holland who have long term vision

there is no way in hell we are in this state if either or runs this ship

Molson and company stop this BS and accept defeat and start over the right way

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Is this Lapierre making the "OMGWTF" face behind Pleks ?
Missing key is Bégin though. He played with heart.

Zaide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 01:16 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
AK-TP-AK Magic.
That line man, insanity.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote