HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ice skate fitting help

Old
01-01-2012, 04:27 PM
DelZottoLover

vCash: 500
Skate toe box question

When you're on the ice, standing straight are your toes supposed to touch the toe box? I know that when you're picking out a size, your toes have to lightly touch the toe box. But does that apply when you're on ice as well?

I cannot feel the toe box when i'm on the ice. It seems like my foot just stays locked in one position.

DelZottoLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Thepandamancan

Yes, when you are standing up straight (knees not bent) your toes should touch or "feather" the toe box.

When you skate, your knees are bent forward and your foot angles back into the heel of the boot. Your foot slightly slides back so when you're skating, you shouldn't feel the toe box.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:59 PM
beth

Have you tried on skates in the next size down? Your toes should be just barely touching the toe box when you're standing up, but when you get into a proper hockey stance with your knees bent then your toes should pull back away and not touch. But really, all you can do is just try on a whole bunch of skates.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:54 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
If your foot is locked in and they're comfortable, don't worry about it. Guidelines are just that.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:53 AM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepandamancan View Post
Yes, when you are standing up straight (knees not bent) your toes should touch or "feather" the toe box.
I don't agree with this at all. Your feet should barely touch the toe box when your skates are loose. As you tighten them up and lock your heel into place, they should come off the toe box and should stay off them regardless of how you change your body position. If your toes are off the toe box seated and then touching the toe box when you stand straight up, it means your foot is moving in the boot, which means your heel is not locked down. Which is a bad thing.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Badger36

Everything that Ive ever read has said that your toes should feather the front of the toe box when you are standing but should not touch when you bend you knees and are in the ready position.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:41 PM
ArrogantOwl

If your unlucky, like me, your feet can also go spread forwards when you bend your knees.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:17 AM
DelZottoLover

Holder/runner differences in skates for beginners..Tuuk lightspeed 2

Does it make a big difference in the way a person skates by what holders/runners they have? I'm 105 lbs would a Tuuk lightspeed 2 be good for me such as in the Bauer Vapor X40 skates?

Old
01-04-2012, 12:26 AM
DelZottoLover

I'm so confused lol. Is it all just personal preference?

Old
01-04-2012, 12:29 AM
DelZottoLover

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-ho...or-x40-jr.html

Thinking about getting these. But I don't know the difference with the Tuuk lightspeed 2

Old
01-04-2012, 01:42 AM
thedonger

as has been stated time and time again, what matters most is that you are properly fit for your skates. doesn't matter if you have the best/lightest/perfectly sharpened/perfectly profiled blades and holders. if your skates don't fit right, nothing else matters.
particularly being a beginner, the last thing you should be thinking of is the holder/runner on the skates as you won't even notice a difference at your level.
get fit properly and go with the highest quality skate in your budget.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 10:23 AM
AIREAYE

No, a perfect fit is what Hawkey36 described.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 10:24 AM
AIREAYE

^ this. And to OP: would you mind just having ONE thread about your skate concerns instead of...4 or 5?

Old
01-04-2012, 10:40 AM
ArrogantOwl

Just as a heads up, those skates might be too stiff for you.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:23 AM
r3cc0s

omfg yes... you need the latest in stepped steel, at least the latest lightspeed holder, a 3/8 ROH, a 12" radius so you maximize cut and glide with at least the stiffness of an APX, TotalOne boot

Or... you can stop asking silly questions, realize its all preference and see a skate fittter and figure out what works for you as we're all different

there are standards out there, like 9' radius, 1/2 hollows and stiffness for different skillsets... and fitting the boot isn't rocket science

You, being a beginner, will need to understand how to skate before understanding the differences in your skate

I do suggest you buy a quality and comfortable skate... and everything else such as holder, blades, and the different grinds can change later

but again, you need to understand how to skate... as opposed to being a pylon on the ice dressed in fancy gear as I see so damned often here in Calgary

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:23 PM
DelZottoLover

Wow no need to get nasty. I'm in a rural area for one, not many people here are fans of hockey, they think it's stupid. It's not my fault there aren't any quality pro shops here in ****** FL. The closest rink by me is 2 hours and they only sell equipment, the employees there don't know anything about the correct fitting of skates or anything like that.

So basically this is the only website I come to, to ask questions for experienced skaters/players like you people. There's nothing wrong with asking for advice and a little help on a forum FOR that purpose. How will you ever learn anything if you don't ask questions?
I'm not breaking any of the forums rules and I don't act like i'm an expert and brag about how much I can skate and how much of a hot shot player I am like some people on here do. At least i'm being honest about my skills. You should also feel good about yourself if someone asks you questions about skating, because they are coming to you, a supposedly "experienced" skater.

Also all of my questions are on different topics they aren't all the same, maybe similar but NOT the same.

Old
01-04-2012, 01:59 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoLover View Post
Wow no need to get nasty. I'm in a rural area for one, not many people here are fans of hockey, they think it's stupid. It's not my fault there aren't any quality pro shops here in ****** FL. The closest rink by me is 2 hours and they only sell equipment, the employees there don't know anything about the correct fitting of skates or anything like that.

So basically this is the only website I come to, to ask questions for experienced skaters/players like you people. There's nothing wrong with asking for advice and a little help on a forum FOR that purpose. How will you ever learn anything if you don't ask questions?
I'm not breaking any of the forums rules and I don't act like i'm an expert and brag about how much I can skate and how much of a hot shot player I am like some people on here do. At least i'm being honest about my skills. You should also feel good about yourself if someone asks you questions about skating, because they are coming to you, a supposedly "experienced" skater.

Also all of my questions are on different topics they aren't all the same, maybe similar but NOT the same.
the questions can be coupled together, and really you're gaining negative visiblity by starting so many threads regarding a topic: Skates

I can sympathize to your situation and perhaps if the next closet rink is 2 hr's away, it may not be prudent to look into this sport... and I'd go down the roller hockey path, specifically being a sport you can play year around and that you have no Outdoor rinnks anyhow.

my apologies for being crass and dismissive, but these days it seems like its the less competent player who commits more time to learning and worrying about their equipment than the fundamentals of the game.
I've met many newbs who know about the weight and kickpoint of hockey sticks, than even understanding even the rules of the game and don't even understand what it means to skate (i.e. glide, push and recovery, edge control)

Last edited by r3cc0s: 01-04-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old
01-04-2012, 02:11 PM
DelZottoLover

And for you r3cc0s, that's ALL I was asking for. Thanks for answering and detailing it, no one else did. For being oh SUCH a beginner like me, I actually understand what you just said much better now and it makes more sense to me. You sure did underestimate the beginner! After all i'm still looking to find a skate that is a perfect fit.... so in my opinion, ALL of the skate parts matter to me, including the runners/holders.

For the pylon thing, I don't remember saying anything about being in "fancy gear" where did you get that idea from? LOL. Since you're so concerned about what I wear to the rink... i'm in a hoodie and sweatpants. I don't get all dressed up in hockey gear acting like i'm a hot shot player. I don't even wear my NHL jerseys there... i'm not in a game OR going to a game i'm there to practice skating so there's no need for "fancy gear".

Old
01-04-2012, 02:20 PM
DelZottoLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
the questions can be coupled together, and really you're gaining negative visiblity by starting so many threads regarding a topic: Skates

I can sympathize to your situation and perhaps if the next closet rink is 2 hr's away, it may not be prudent to look into this sport... and I'd go down the roller hockey path, specifically being a sport you can play year around and that you have no Outdoor rinnks anyhow.

my apologies for being crass and dismissive, but these days it seems like its the less competent player who commits more time to learning and worrying about their equipment than the fundamentals of the game.
I've met many newbs who know about the weight and kickpoint of hockey sticks, than even understanding even the rules of the game and don't even understand what it means to skate (i.e. glide, push and recovery, edge control)
I got this post late after I just posted the previous one sorry. But it's okay.

Anyway, I've always wanted to play hockey ever since I was little i'm 20 yrs old now. I'm from NY and moved here in FL about 10 years ago. There were much more hockey fans in NY but I never got to play unfortunately because there weren't girls on the team. Also when my parents tried to enroll me in hockey programs years back ago, the coaches said girls weren't allowed to play. So it really sucked. But I went to many NHL games and actually do know the rules and sport.

Now that there are women's teams here in FL i'm trying to learn everything about the skating/equipment stuff before I can go out and play. Already know the game, just not the equipment part lol.

I actually hate roller hockey to be honest. It's not as great and exciting as ice hockey.

I do have the stick part down though so I don't need help with any of that

Old
01-04-2012, 02:29 PM
r3cc0s

the newb these days: latest RBK 11k helmet w/ colored stickers and the biggest visor possible
Bauer One95 full protective getup for non-contact hockey (elbows shoulders to pants)
Skates - sometimes is cheap, really cheap... mostly because most people don't want to commit to spending $300+ on them, but would rather spend $200+ for a pair of NHL replica jersies and edge socks and $300 on a stick
A dark and light jersey of their favorite team or Edge practice jerseys
Edge socks in matching colors to their team jersey
Eagle Talon/RBK 9000/Vapor X:60 gloves
Latest newest sticks with way too little flex (i.e. 100) (like an Easton RS) but just one (they never think to bring a spare) uncut and way too long

oh & of course: The GRIT bag to top it all off of, and all the accessories like visor towel, 3m tape, 3m stick wax, a smart hockey ball, laundry bag, all the UA compression gear, etc...

Old
01-04-2012, 03:38 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoLover View Post
And for you r3cc0s, that's ALL I was asking for. Thanks for answering and detailing it, no one else did. For being oh SUCH a beginner like me, I actually understand what you just said much better now and it makes more sense to me. You sure did underestimate the beginner! After all i'm still looking to find a skate that is a perfect fit.... so in my opinion, ALL of the skate parts matter to me, including the runners/holders.

For the pylon thing, I don't remember saying anything about being in "fancy gear" where did you get that idea from? LOL. Since you're so concerned about what I wear to the rink... i'm in a hoodie and sweatpants. I don't get all dressed up in hockey gear acting like i'm a hot shot player. I don't even wear my NHL jerseys there... i'm not in a game OR going to a game i'm there to practice skating so there's no need for "fancy gear".
Didn't see anything"crass" or negative about my post. Just trying to be honest with you, and help save some aggravation and money. And my statement still stands that the differences in holder/steel (particularly comparable models/levels ie ls2 to epro) will make no difference to a beginner skater.
Worry about the fit of the boot ONLY and if you're still not happy with the holder/steel you can always have it swapped out later.

Skates, IMO, are THE most important piece of equipment with hockey. Not sure how far you are from orlando but I hear there's a quite repectable shop there called RDV that should be able to help you out. Even if you have to drive an extra hour or two, it would still be worth it as that is the piece of equipment you don't want to be buying blind and without help. Pretty much everything else you can order online(though I always recommend going to your local hockey if possible) and get away with it. Skates, not so much.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
No, a perfect fit is what Hawkey36 described.
I agree, BUT as long as my heel is locked in I prefer to err on the side of a bit more room. Why? Getting hit head on with a shot is the main reason.

I wear a 12 Nike. Could wear a 9.5 Graf, but I wear a 10. I'm actually probably a 9.75.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 10:13 PM
AIREAYE

^Yup, that's where personal preference comes in assuming that they know a particular size 'should' be the right size for them.

Old
01-05-2012, 12:35 AM
shawn1331

Yeah I always go alittle extra just in case. Especially if you sit on the bench for a bit, those frozen toes don't take a slapshot so well when their touching the toe box.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I have merged these threads into one. Please use this thread for all skate questions going forward.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote