HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Lindros Earned It

Old
01-01-2012, 09:39 AM
zamboni88

vCash: 500
Eric Lindros Earned It

What a trip down memory lane yesterday. My all time favorite Flyer, #88, returned to the Flyers after such a nasty departure. As I reflect back on all of the BS that surrounded his time with the Flyers, I can only think that he did earn his paycheck. Maybe the Flyers management put to many expectations on one player to deliver a Stanley Cup. I am glad to see him come back and play one more game in the orange and black.

zamboni88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Bort Sampson

Right on. Bringing Lindros back for this even helped me get over a huge problem I've had with this organizations since his departure. I can't wait for some of the Lindros promotions next season or in the future, I'm going to every one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni88 View Post
What a trip down memory lane yesterday. My all time favorite Flyer, #88, returned to the Flyers after such a nasty departure. As I reflect back on all of the BS that surrounded his time with the Flyers, I can only think that he did earn his paycheck. Maybe the Flyers management put to many expectations on one player to deliver a Stanley Cup. I am glad to see him come back and play one more game in the orange and black.
That's exactly it. Look at the Flyers' 97 roster and compare it to not only the team they lost to, but the teams they beat on that run. Lindros showed up. Detroit had the players, coaches, and strategy the Flyers didn't have.

Bort Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

It was nice to see the Big E out on the ice again.

That being said, nothing has changed.

It was like seeing a banished relative at a family reunion. Nice to see'em, can't forget why they have been in the family sin bin.

Flyotes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:56 AM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort Sampson View Post
Right on. Bringing Lindros back for this even helped me get over a huge problem I've had with this organizations since his departure. I can't wait for some of the Lindros promotions next season or in the future, I'm going to every one

That's exactly it. Look at the Flyers' 97 roster and compare it to not only the team they lost to, but the teams they beat on that run. Lindros showed up. Detroit had the players, coaches, and strategy the Flyers didn't have.
More then talent they needed to surround him with better leaders in the lockerroom. They brought back guys like Tocchet and Berube in 99-2000 but those guys were they type he needed to be the leaders early on.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Eric Lindros

In addition to the Flyers staff coming around and welcoming him back, I hope we start to see some more fans realize all that he meant to this franchise and what a special player he was.

If you're objective about it, the good that he brought to this organization far outweighs any negatives.

Still my favorite Flyer.

Eric Lindros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:54 AM
JonnyGaloshes

Can we sign him to a one year deal?

He looked great out there.

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 02:07 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGaloshes View Post

lol, i literally had a dream that he signed a one yr deal next season and while he started as a 3rd line center he ended up playing w/ Jagr and JVR and they tore up opposing teams.

Definitely my all time favorite Flyer and I think with whats been happening now with concussions and how post concussion syndrome has ended Keith Primeau's career some fans are starting to really understand what was happening all those years ago. I hope in years to come he'll be inducted into the Flyers hall of fame. Here are the top 10 in scoring in Flyers franchise history.

Player Pos GP G A Pts P/G
Bobby Clarke C 1,144 358 852 1,210 1.05
Bill Barber LW 903 420 463 883 0.97
Brian Propp LW 790 369 480 849 1.07
Rick MacLeish C 741 328 369 697 0.94
Eric Lindros C 486 290 369 659 1.35
Tim Kerr RW 601 363 287 650 1.08
John LeClair LW 649 333 310 643 0.99
Mark Recchi RW 602 232 395 627 1.04
Rod Brind'Amour C 633 235 366 601 0.95
Simon Gagne LW 664 259 265 524 0.79

Everyone in top six besides Eric is already in the Flyers hall of fame. With some of those numbers and what he did for this team during his time here I really think he deserves it.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 02:37 PM
fauxflex

fauxflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 02:44 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:

Haha did you see that empty net attempt?!?!? He still needs some work hahaha.

Hands are definitely still there, though. Soft passes all day.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 02:58 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:

Pretty sure he would be able to make a comeback and to play at least 1 year at a high level. But he won't do it, he's probably not in shape enough for a 82 games season, and he won't risk getting concussed again.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Snipsnap12

When he was introduced and I saw him walking with the flyers jersey on I had goosebumps. I grew up watching lindros and he was the reason I became a flyer fan at a young age. His physical stature combined with his skill made him one of if not the most physically gifted hockey player ever... and without the concussions and dead puck era, lindros would have rivaled some of the great numbers.

Was great to see one last skate in the Orange and Black for #88.....which should be hanging in the rafters of the WFC

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 03:31 PM
BWAVgal
If we burn, you burn

vCash: 50
Made this from a pic I found yesterday, if someone wants to use it as an avatar.

This too with the limited options photobucket has...I can't afford Photoshop.

Last edited by BWAVgal: 01-01-2012 at 03:36 PM.
BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:08 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Really, really, really wish that Holmgren would try to entice the big E to make a comeback attempt. He could easily be in prime shape by training camp if he gets to work by March.

Oh, and if Pronger is indeed done for his career, than captain problem would be solved... at least in the short-term.

Is it irrational? Yeah it is a bit, since we don't need a center.

Is it unrealistic? Obviously... he's been out of the game for 4 years, it's very unlikely he'd want to return.

But would it be the coolest thing ever to see him don the orange and black for real again and take the ice again in Philadelphia? You bet it would

Oh, and just for fun:

Giroux-Lindros-Jagr
Hartnell-Briere-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Schenn
Simmonds-Talbot-Sestito/Rinaldo

Growing up as a kid, I dreamed of (and played video games w/) a line combination of Lindros and Jagr. Adding Giroux (the current best player in the NHL) to that NHL 98 fantasy is just gravy lol.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:33 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I gotta say, I don't understand the Lindros 180. I know he was a great talent. Don't think anyone would argue that. But remember all the turmoil and baggage that came with him? The trouble that surrounded him and his family? The stink he caused when he was drafted by Quebec? Again, the dude was obviously a great player, but I don't understand how a city goes from hating him to loving him when absolutely nothing happened in between. I booed him at the game yesterday and I heard a couple other boos. I just don't understand the 180. Flame away, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I gotta say, I don't understand the Lindros 180. I know he was a great talent. Don't think anyone would argue that. But remember all the turmoil and baggage that came with him? The trouble that surrounded him and his family? The stink he caused when he was drafted by Quebec? Again, the dude was obviously a great player, but I don't understand how a city goes from hating him to loving him when absolutely nothing happened in between. I booed him at the game yesterday and I heard a couple other boos. I just don't understand the 180. Flame away, but it just doesn't make sense to me.
Because it was time to move on.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Tommy D

At his worst he was a distraction of diva proportions. At his best he was a disappointment to an organization that gave so much for him.

Tommy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:07 PM
The Flin Flon Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
At his worst he was a distraction of diva proportions. At his best he was a disappointment to an organization that gave so much for him.
What exactly did the organization give him? (Aside from money)
I seem to recall them nearly killing him through incompetence.

Edit: Misread your post

Last edited by The Flin Flon Bomber: 01-01-2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: I just notice you said "for" him and not "to" him. Makes my response a bit of a non-sequiter.
The Flin Flon Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:14 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Because it was time to move on.
Moving on is fine. But I would consider moving just kind of putting it on the back burner, not forgetting all the bad and acting like he was something that he wasn't. He was hated in Philly. Public Enemy #1. Now all of the sudden he is a Philly legend that everyone loves? Why? Are you going to get a Troy Aikman jersey too?

Old
01-01-2012, 06:20 PM
phlocky

Talent based alone, he was by far the best player to ever put on the flyers jersey.

Eric played during the transition in hockey from when players played for the logo on the front to the name on the back. We were the last of the 4 major sports to fall victum to it but it still happened to us. Clarke failed to recognize the change in the mindset of players today and HE made it personal. both sides were a little bit wrong and both sides were a little in the right. It was Clarke who made it the entire Flyers organization vs Eric Lindros so Lindros was battling pretty much all of Philly. THAT is why fans turned sour on him.

I go back all the way to our cup years as a die-hard fan and I can tell you without a doubt that Lindros DID give a **** about this city and he DID bleed O&B. He gave his heart and soul to this city and he felt betrayed and personally attacked (and he WAS). It became a petty battle between the 2 sides and it never should have gotten that far.

Lindros was a freaking freight train wrecking semi-trucks on the ice. He played old-school flyers hockey back in the mold that Clarke played (right on the edge of flat out just being a dirty player). He was born to be a Flyer and while every other fan was throwing him under the bus when all this **** went down I stood by him. I wasn't happy with what he did but I also wasn't happy with what Clarke did. I was sad to see just how bad things deteriated but I'm glad that all sides seemed to have put this all behind then as water under the bridge. It WAS time to leave the past in the past and to move on. Lindros will always be one of my all time favorite Flyers.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
At his worst, he was involved in a lot of distractions, agreed. Injuries were often at the center of it, and he never had a single season that was entirely free of some injury-related saga about when he'd play again.

At his best, he had the 3rd highest point-per-game average in NHL history (behind only Gretzky and Lemieux), won a Hart Trophy, was a finalist the next year (Mario won) and was well on his way to his third strong run at a Hart when his season ended abruptly. If you look at his playoff production rate in Philly, it's also elite. That's not even mentioning his physical game and dominance in the faceoff circle. If that's a "disappointment", the expectations were unfair to begin with.

He was not a perfect player, even when healthy. He was adequate defensively but never great without the puck, but it often didn't matter when the rest of his game was going.

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:23 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Moving on is fine. But I would consider moving just kind of putting it on the back burner, not forgetting all the bad and acting like he was something that he wasn't. He was hated in Philly. Public Enemy #1. Now all of the sudden he is a Philly legend that everyone loves? Why? Are you going to get a Troy Aikman jersey too?
Aikman never literally put his life on the line for this city, Lindros did. If it wasn't for Keith Jones then our wonderful medical staff would have let Lindros get on a pressurized plane with a collapsed lung which would have been life threatening. If your doctors are so terrible as to miss something HUGE like this then I certainly hope that you'd question them and seek a 2nd opinion. THAT is what Lindros did. CLARKE attacked Lindros as being a baby for questioning the same doctors that may have killed him if it weren't for Jones.

Old
01-01-2012, 06:32 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Aikman never literally put his life on the line for this city, Lindros did. If it wasn't for Keith Jones then our wonderful medical staff would have let Lindros get on a pressurized plane with a collapsed lung which would have been life threatening. If your doctors are so terrible as to miss something HUGE like this then I certainly hope that you'd question them and seek a 2nd opinion. THAT is what Lindros did. CLARKE attacked Lindros as being a baby for questioning the same doctors that may have killed him if it weren't for Jones.
So because he played hurt the rest of the crap is ok?

Old
01-01-2012, 06:38 PM
phlocky

Quote:
So because he played hurt the rest of the crap is ok?
Only an idiot would question his dedication to this team while he was here. It wasn't until Clarke made it personal that thinkgs turned sour. Where is your accountability for Clarke, Snider and themedical staff???

Old
01-01-2012, 06:51 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Only an idiot would question his dedication to this team while he was here. It wasn't until Clarke made it personal that thinkgs turned sour. Where is your accountability for Clarke, Snider and themedical staff???
I'm not questioning his dedication or even his injuries. He (and his family) was a distraction and caused problems. The injuries added to the criticism, I'm sure, but that wasn't the only issue. I haven't read it in a while, but if I recall in Jonesey's book there is a chapter about Lindros where talks about how he was a good player, but not a good teammate or captain or something like that. Then there were issues with his parents. And from the beginning his refusal to play in Quebec (I hate when players do that no matter which team they are screwing over). Parents getting involved with his playing time. And I'm sure you could find a laundry list of other things looking at old sports sections in the Inquirer.

The bottom line is, what I see is a fanbase that hated him a decade ago for the reasons I listed above and more but has done a complete 180 without him doing anything. That is really my issue here. I'm not even really griping about Lindros. That ship sailed long ago and we can back and forth all day long like people have done in Philly since the 90s. I just don't understand the 180.

Old
01-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
I don't think people have forgotten about that.

The question, however, was based around Lindros.

Flyotes is online now   Reply With Quote