HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Can anyone vouche for non big Brand sticks?

Old
01-01-2012, 05:44 PM
ArrogantOwl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1331 View Post
I kind of feel you are looking for an argument. You told me that yes, and I stopped writing back but I have to here.

Why do you find it so hard to beleive that a big name brand like Easton can't be cloned and sold to smaller brands. Thats exactly what blue ice did they are making cloned S19's in their nano sticks. I already said they are differences but the geometry of them are the same, they run the same patterns and different materials. Essentially the same stick without grip and fancy s19 paint. I bet if I gave you a nano and an S19 painted jet black you wouldn't know the difference.
If they're not using the same materials, then how are they the same? I don't disblieve that it happens, but where is your proof?

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:15 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrogantOwl View Post
If they're not using the same materials, then how are they the same? I don't disblieve that it happens, but where is your proof?
Yeah I admit they aren't exact copies but each brand has patterns, lies, blade types, and dimensions of the stick. Blue ice is using eastons dimensions and patterns from the synergy series.

I'm not sure which brand it was but Bauer was selling their sticks to somewhere(reebok maybe) and reebok was just painting them and using different curves. Theres videos on youtube of a guy grinding the paint of the stick and underneath it is a bauer one90 or something like that(it was a few years ago) and it had serial codes and stuff like that. Now I know your gonna ask this, but no it wasn't painted like a one90 underneath the finish. It was just a warehouse stick with no paint and brand information. Stick was like a matte grey/black and had info about where it was made and who by.

Basically everything ever invented has been sold around to different companies you just have to change certain things, hence why blue ice doesn't use the same materials as Easton does. Kawasaki and Suzuki were using the exact same engines in a few of their dirtbikes for a couple years. They sold eachother engines and then used different plastics colours to get around the tm issues.

On the KLX125 it actually says suzuki on the engine.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 08:51 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
I kind of feel you are looking for an argument. You told me that yes, and I stopped writing back but I have to here.

Why do you find it so hard to beleive that a big name brand like Easton can't be cloned and sold to smaller brands. Thats exactly what blue ice did they are making cloned S19's in their nano sticks. I already said they are differences but the geometry of them are the same, they run the same patterns and different materials. Essentially the same stick without grip and fancy s19 paint. I bet if I gave you a nano and an S19 painted jet black you wouldn't know the difference.
I can tell you that I can also find a S19 for $119 and a EQ50 for $100 at a local hocky shop, so... thats my problem
at this price, why would I buy a non-Easton... and that's really my complaint

if you're going to buy a chinese graphite stick that has copied patents that Easton/Bauer etc.. have designed... they should be cheaper than $100, even if it is as good.

I can tell you that the Mikken I tried felt really nice, but again not know how well the blade will continue to feel and whether the shaft will continue to load the same after a few months, makes it hard to drop $150 for one

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:26 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
I can tell you that I can also find a S19 for $119 and a EQ50 for $100 at a local hocky shop, so... thats my problem
at this price, why would I buy a non-Easton... and that's really my complaint

if you're going to buy a chinese graphite stick that has copied patents that Easton/Bauer etc.. have designed... they should be cheaper than $100, even if it is as good.

I can tell you that the Mikken I tried felt really nice, but again not know how well the blade will continue to feel and whether the shaft will continue to load the same after a few months, makes it hard to drop $150 for one
Thats a very good point, I totally agree with that and I too use Easton. I like the blue ice but I felt more comfortable with a known tested brand. That being said whats your store? I gotta get me an S19 for a $119 up here their still $229+. Do they have a website?

Old
01-02-2012, 10:07 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:

Quote:
Yeah I admit they aren't exact copies but each brand has patterns, lies, blade types, and dimensions of the stick. Blue ice is using eastons dimensions and patterns from the synergy series.

I'm not sure which brand it was but Bauer was selling their sticks to somewhere(reebok maybe) and reebok was just painting them and using different curves. Theres videos on youtube of a guy grinding the paint of the stick and underneath it is a bauer one90 or something like that(it was a few years ago) and it had serial codes and stuff like that. Now I know your gonna ask this, but no it wasn't painted like a one90 underneath the finish. It was just a warehouse stick with no paint and brand information. Stick was like a matte grey/black and had info about where it was made and who by.

Basically everything ever invented has been sold around to different companies you just have to change certain things, hence why blue ice doesn't use the same materials as Easton does. Kawasaki and Suzuki were using the exact same engines in a few of their dirtbikes for a couple years. They sold eachother engines and then used different plastics colours to get around the tm issues.

Your argument fails here, I don't even have to say anything; leave it to you to figure it out.

Willing to bet? You sure? Does the Blue stick have the elliptical taper?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 01:06 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Your argument fails here, I don't even have to say anything; leave it to you to figure it out.

Willing to bet? You sure? Does the Blue stick have the elliptical taper?
So your saying you know each stick off by heart, you know each and every air bubble in the finish? I hold true to my point that you wouldn't know the difference.

Everything that gets cloned has differences to get around tm. Like Coca Cola and an off brand cola. They taste so alike that unless you are an absolute expert on it which you claim to be which is fine, you wouldn't know a difference.

Old
01-02-2012, 04:22 PM
AIREAYE

They do not use the same materials, they do not have the same shaft geometry. That's all anyone needs to know. You have no point, you basically defeated your own argument and now are claiming that I can't tell the difference? Get out of here please.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Blueland89

Did anyone elso notice in the winter Classic today that Lilja was playing with a rebellion stick

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if a Bauer was repainted as a Reebok. In the AHL they are supposed to use Reebok/CCM stuff just about exclusively, so having gear dressed up like another brand wouldn't be a surprise.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:54 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I wouldn't be terribly surprised if a Bauer was repainted as a Reebok. In the AHL they are supposed to use Reebok/CCM stuff just about exclusively, so having gear dressed up like another brand wouldn't be a surprise.
Also, I know for a fact that the generals had a deal with titan(back in the day, my coach played for them and told us as well as my uncles friend) they would only use their sticks. Titan really weren't great sticks near the end theere and alot of the players wanted to use easton so they made eastons look like titans.

Old
01-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Stickmata

Quote:

You're confusing co-manufacturing/supply agreements with product cloning/knock offs. Two very different things. . And 'basically everything ever invented' hasn't been 'sold around to different companies'... Not a patent lawyer are you?

To assume that an Easton knock off is identical to an Easton stick just because it looks the same and feels the same is dopey.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:04 AM
Hockeyfan68

I use Harrow and love them.

http://www.harrowsports.com/icehockey.asp

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Squidriss

Quote:
So your saying you know each stick off by heart, you know each and every air bubble in the finish? I hold true to my point that you wouldn't know the difference.

Everything that gets cloned has differences to get around tm. Like Coca Cola and an off brand cola. They taste so alike that unless you are an absolute expert on it which you claim to be which is fine, you wouldn't know a difference.
and there we go the point is cola and coca cola is NOT the same. I can taste the difference quite easily and while it is SIMILAR its not the same..

Squidriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:22 AM
ArrogantOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidriss View Post
and there we go the point is cola and coca cola is NOT the same. I can taste the difference quite easily and while it is SIMILAR its not the same..
Duh, Coca-Cola had cocaine in it.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:52 PM
ponder

The Blue Ice Nano is absolutely nothing like the S19. No elliptical taper, different materials, different kickpoint, not even offered in the same flexes. If you're going to completely make something up, at least say it's a clone of something it looks more similar to. The only similarity at all between the Nano and the S19 is that they're both high end sticks, and that the Nano is offered in patterns that are rough clones of some Easton patterns, but EVERYONE offers clones of Easton patterns, be it major manufacturers or minor ones. They actually offer LESS clones than most manufacturers, they don't even have a Modano clone, which is a staple of pretty much every stick lineup. I may as well say the Bauer Apx, Rbk 11K or Warrior Widow are S19 clones, they're also high end sticks that you can get with clones of many popular Easton patterns.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote