HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Activate full-force tank mode - FLA win 3-2

Old
01-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Traitor8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
None of those in your list from henrique to Savard are better than pleks.
LOOOL ..ok so you forget about the 30 centers about that list..

none in that "secondary" list is better than Pleks but they could be considered to be at around the same level, more or less.

Traitor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
Yes, throw away my whole list because of a few mistakes I did. I'm sorry I have a life and don't have time to keep up with 30 teams in the league..that said:

30 CENTERS:
-Sedin ...clearly center
-Malkin...clearly center
-Stamkos...clearly center
-Datsyuk...clearly center
-Backstrom...clearly center
-Spezza...clearly center
-Toews...clearly center
-Kopitar...clearly center
-Hopkins...clearly center
-Weiss...clearly center
-Mikko Koivu...clearly center
-Tyler Seguin...clearly center
-John Tavares...clearly center
-Joe Thornton...clearly center
-Ryan Kesler...clearly center
-Brad Richards...clearly center
-Mike Richards...clearly center
-Patrice Bergeron...clearly center
-Getzlaf...clearly center
-Lecavalier...clearly center
-Eric Staal...clearly center
-Jordan Staal...clearly center
-Derek Roy...clearly center
-Jeff Carter...clearly center
-Sidney Crosby...clearly center
-Eberle...clearly center
-Patrick Marleau...clearly center
-Danny Briere...clearly center
-Joe Pavelski...clearly center
-Patrick Sharp...clearly center

Other centers held in the same standard as Plek:
Henrique
Ribeiro
Jokinen
Grabovski
Krejci
Savard
Seguin and Eberle are clearly not centers... They've both been lining up next to other centers on your list all season. Check out the Bruins and Oilers GDTs if you don't believe me.

And if Pavelski and Marleau were clearly centers right now why wouldn't at least one of them be playing that position over Logan Couture on a consistent basis if you don't have him on your list?

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Seguin and Eberle are clearly not centers... They've both been lining up next to other centers on your list all season. Check out the Bruins and Oilers GDTs if you don't believe me.

And if Pavelski and Marleau were clearly centers right now why wouldn't at least one of them be playing that position over Logan Couture on a consistent basis if you don't have him on your list?
Coach preference, personal, etc...

Seguin plays on the wing because they got Bergeron and Krejci already. Between the 3 of them, Seguin can be easily moved to the wing and fits his game better than the other 2.

Seguin, Marleau, Pavelski, Eberle can all play center and are all better than Plekanec.

Traitor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Yes, throw away my whole list because of a few mistakes I did. I'm sorry I have a life and don't have time to keep up with 30 teams in the league..that said:

30 CENTERS:
-Sedin ...clearly center
-Malkin...clearly center
-Stamkos...clearly center
-Datsyuk...clearly center
-Backstrom...clearly center
-Spezza...clearly center
-Toews...clearly center
-Kopitar...clearly center
-Hopkins...clearly center
-Weiss...clearly center
-Mikko Koivu...clearly center
-Tyler Seguin...clearly center
-John Tavares...clearly center
-Joe Thornton...clearly center
-Ryan Kesler...clearly center
-Brad Richards...clearly center
-Mike Richards...clearly center
-Patrice Bergeron...clearly center
-Getzlaf...clearly center
-Lecavalier...clearly center
-Eric Staal...clearly center
-Jordan Staal...clearly center
-Derek Roy...clearly center
-Jeff Carter...clearly center
-Sidney Crosby...clearly center
-Eberle...clearly center
-Patrick Marleau...clearly center
-Danny Briere...clearly center
-Joe Pavelski...clearly center
-Patrick Sharp...clearly center

Other centers held in the same standard as Plek:
Henrique
Ribeiro
Jokinen
Grabovski
Krejci
Savard
Briere, at this point in his career, is about the same as Plek, and is far inferior defensively. There's no way anyone would take Jokinen or Grabovski ahead of Plekanec. Jokinen's having a decent season, but these past few years, he's been horrible. Grabovski is doing good in a run and gun system, and even then, he doesn't produce any more than Tomas. And he's having a very meh season so far.

Krejci has decent offensive numbers, comparable to Plekanec, but again, not on the same level defensively. Henrique... Hum... WAY too early. Same for Hopkins. He has cooled down quite a bit recently, and the guy is completely inept defensively (now don't get me wrong, I'd take him over Plek because he'll get better eventually, but not this year).

A lot of these guys are really tough to compare to Plekanec. Then you have Eric Staal is having a disastrous season, but you know he can be much better than that and odds are, he'll bounce back. Jordan Staal is having a good season, and he's one of the best defensive forward in the game, but even then, his numbers aren't impressive.

Of course, a lot of guys on that list are clearly better. I just think you exaggerated a lot on some of those choices just to make a point. Plek as a first line center isn't the best option, but give him some better wingers, or a different system, and I'm sure you'd get some better numbers. But even while playing under one of the most restrictive coaches in the league, he still managed to rack up some good numbers.

I mean, the Bruins won the cup with two centers comparable to Plek as their 1-2 punch. I don't think he's the problem.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure what the problem is. I look at this roster and it's really not that bad. We have a decent offense. We have a decent defense. We have a good goalie... Yet the offense isn't producing. The defense isn't clicking, Price is starting to let in some weak goals... I have no idea.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Craig71

Habs please win 3 or 4 in a row so we can return to the shades of 93 posts again. It is hockey and not life people, teams win and teams lose it's not the end of the world.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Habs please win 3 or 4 in a row so we can return to the shades of 93 posts again. It is hockey and not life people, teams win and teams lose it's not the end of the world.
Well... actually...

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:22 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
Well... actually...

Mayans were a year late. Luongo already caused that to happen in 2011.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The part I can't figure out is, why the **** do you spend 2+ mil on aback up goalie and not play him. It's obvious that Price is struggling, really didn't have it against TB, and they start him again tonight. That 2nd goal is a back breaker, flutter shot at 12 miles an hour, normally he would have caught that in the logo and not even given a rebound, instead he tries with the gloves and whiffs.
The 2nd goal is a back breaker?

How about us not managing any offense and depending on our goalie AGAIN to win us the game? 2nd goal was weak? Okay, the guy still stopped 32 out of 34 shots. Could he have been better on that goal? Sure. Is the loss his fault? Absolutely not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
no because a lot of us realize now that he's not the next dryden or patti roy
He's not? Let's get rid of him then... Obviously that's the smart thing to do when you have the best young goalie in hockey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
I disagree. He'd played very, very well. I was not alive to see either of those two men in their primes (having been born at the end of 93) but I'm sure they too had bad games. Hell, Roy let in 8 or whatever against Detroit and we chased him out of town.
If Roy and Dryden are the measuring sticks by which we measure success, good luck. Either one of those guys could arguably be named the best goaltender of all-time.

Price won't be as good as those guys. That doesn't mean that we should get rid of him or that we should throw him under the bus the way some posters are doing. Put him on a good team and he'd be doing great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
Carey Price is the best goalie of his age group in the league. Everyone says that except us lol. We're so down on our players it's redicolous. As the old adage goes; you're never as good as you look when you're up and never as bad as you look when you're down. Right now the team is way down, but Price, Subban etc... are not playing nearly as bad as it looks.
Now, everyone go get drunk.
When you compare him side by side by age, he stacks up favourably against the best goalies in the game today.

Welcome to Montreal though, where we eat our young for breakfast...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Thats the problem...many on here weren't alive to see the greats play. So many on here accept mediocrity in the form of the net minder. Price is no where near those that were mentioned. Once again, people want to accept him for what he was perceived as...not about what his actual skill is at. If he doesn't step up soon, you may just see him traded.
There's not a goalie in the league right now that stacks up against those greats... Again, if that's how your going to measure him then you're going to be disappointed no matter who's in net for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I wouldn't go UFA shopping. We're nowhere near needing to do this. The team isn't competitive enough to overpay, and if I were to overpay it wouldn't be on 5'8 midgets.

I would build the team through proper drafting and offset the team with the odd UFA when the time is right, as of right now, more useless spending is exactly what this team should avoid.
Yup.

Folks still don't understand this simple concept though. For some reason, they think that more of the same will achieve different results... It's the definition of insanity.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:43 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Coach preference, personal, etc...

Seguin plays on the wing because they got Bergeron and Krejci already. Between the 3 of them, Seguin can be easily moved to the wing and fits his game better than the other 2.

Seguin, Marleau, Pavelski, Eberle can all play center and are all better than Plekanec.
i don't think there is more straws in the world for you to grasp at

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:50 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Wait...

People are blaming Price for the 2nd goal?

Are you ****ing kidding me? Blame Subban for deflecting the harmless shot. You NEVER NEVER get your stick on an unscreened shot. Let Price see it and save it. A deflection like that is VERY difficult to pick up.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote