HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps at Blue Jackets. 7pm. Nationwide Arena. 12.31.2011

Old
01-01-2012, 04:38 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
If the defense is healthy come February, is it completely insane to consider trading Wideman? He almost certainly will be gone in the offseason, Green makes him fairly redundant (again, assuming health), and his return would be significant. He's proven to be a legit top-4 offensive D who is solid in his own end. It's not crazy to think he could net us a 1st round pick. Or a significant forward.
I think it's a bad idea. Green could go down again at any moment, and if you trade Wideman, you're left with Carlson and Orlov as your puck movers. Not an ideal situation. I'd rather have an excess in the puck mover area, rather than another 1st rounder.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 04:42 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
How much better is Alzner at playoff shutdowns over Hammer right now? Does Alzner have to be with Carlson to be shutdown? Is Carlson better than Green at D? Hell make Alzner Green the shutdown pair.

Dont bother with the why would we want to do that with Green. Green did it to himself just last year. Maybe he would embrace it, and maybe he could use the practice.

I wonder how Hammer would do in a temporary shutdown role. He may be better at it than any of our RDs. Regardless, he has been in this system just a month and seems to be trending upwards on O and D. I'd take the almost nil risk to see where Alzner Green goes having Hammer bringing more of a D role.
what about alzner and carlson together being more than the sum of its parts bothers you so much? you seem intent on wanting them broken up. they are a rare thing. you would think watching carlson go weak when removed from alzner would bring it home for you.

can alzner be shutdown without carlson? sure. he is a shutdown defenseman. its what he does. thats not the point. carlson plays better with alzner and his frame of reference is as a shutdown d. green meanwhile is the caps top offensive d. whoever is skating with alzner must concetrate on defense first. is that what you want green doing? skating against gabby and stamkos and so forth with hands of stone at forward taking his breakout passes? that is not the best use of his skills.

hamrlik as a shutdown d? much of this board wanted him kicked to the curb already and you are talking shutdown? i am glad he is playing better, but lets not take it too far.

when green comes back, he needs to get his game going first and foremost. that means getting his offensive explosion back. this means not monkeying around with making him a shutdown d for the hell of it to see if it works.

If carlson gets hurt, it will happen, but not til then. imo

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 04:46 PM
txpd

Quote:
If the defense is healthy come February, is it completely insane to consider trading Wideman? He almost certainly will be gone in the offseason, Green makes him fairly redundant (again, assuming health), and his return would be significant. He's proven to be a legit top-4 offensive D who is solid in his own end. It's not crazy to think he could net us a 1st round pick. Or a significant forward.
yes. insane. what happened to the caps last playoffs? wideman got hurt after the trade deadline and was gone. green got hurt in game one second round and carlson got hurt in game three second round. the team was dead in the water.

Old
01-01-2012, 04:59 PM
DCRedhawk21

I'd only trade Wideman if they are for sure out of the playoff picutre at the TDL... I think he'd fetch a decent return and would open up a slot for Orlov to get some more experience at the NHL level

DCRedhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:09 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

FWIW, Caps are the only team in the Southeast Division with a positive goal differential, mind you it's currently only +2. All the other teams are in the negative, that is more goals have been scored against them then they have scored.

16 games remaining against Southeast Division foes, 8 of them are at home.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:10 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Cap wise I dont think we can carry our 8 healthy D. George spent every penny to compete this year. His roster was set. It may still be. This is that roster. We are winning games.

Monkeying around playing defense Tex you know BB is gone, right? Joking aside, that's what he wanted to do all last year. I dont recall you saying he was monkeying around. We talked about Yzerman being inside his head, but some thought he would be a better player for it.

Green doesnt need to be explosive to help our team or himself as priority one on his return. He needs to find himself, his niche where he doesnt get clobbered and injured, much more than he needs to go full EXPL offense. Lets see where his groin is. Offense starts in the D zone. Lets get him settled there first, the offense will come all by itself. I still want to see him with Alzner this year. There is no excuse not to try.

Alzner Green
Hammer Carlson
Erskine Wideman

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:30 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
yes. insane. what happened to the caps last playoffs? wideman got hurt after the trade deadline and was gone. green got hurt in game one second round and carlson got hurt in game three second round. the team was dead in the water.
Well let me pose this hypothetical. Say Wideman breaks his leg next week and is done for the year. Green comes back at the same time, and we roll towards the TDL in solid playoff contention with 44/52, 27/74, 4/55/81 all healthy and playing as well as the D has been playing under Hunter the past few weeks. In that circumstance, are you on this board advocating that we burn our 1st round pick to acquire another top-4 caliber D just in case someone gets hurt? And that we do so instead of using that same trade asset to upgrade our top-6 forwards?

I kind of doubt it. I'm guessing you're here saying "Let's trade a 3rd rounder to add a solid veteran guy on D and either keep the 1st rounder or use it in to bolster an area of greater need." And that's kind of my point.

But feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:46 PM
txpd

Quote:
Cap wise I dont think we can carry our 8 healthy D. George spent every penny to compete this year. His roster was set. It may still be. This is that roster. We are winning games.

Monkeying around playing defense Tex you know BB is gone, right? Joking aside, that's what he wanted to do all last year. I dont recall you saying he was monkeying around. We talked about Yzerman being inside his head, but some thought he would be a better player for it.

Green doesnt need to be explosive to help our team or himself as priority one on his return. He needs to find himself, his niche where he doesnt get clobbered and injured, much more than he needs to go full EXPL offense. Lets see where his groin is. Offense starts in the D zone. Lets get him settled there first, the offense will come all by itself. I still want to see him with Alzner this year. There is no excuse not to try.
fully not true. my man. we are talking assignments. who is the caps best offensive defenseman? its green. why would you want to make his primary assignment a defensive one by having him check the opposing first line and wasting his offensive skills by icing him with the checking line?

why would you want to do that?

btw....if you think green's job isn't creating offensive and creating transition because its dale now, you are just wrong.

Old
01-01-2012, 05:50 PM
txpd

Quote:
are you on this board advocating that we burn our 1st round pick to acquire another top-4 caliber D just in case someone gets hurt? And that we do so instead of using that same trade asset to upgrade our top-6 forwards?.
well....no. wideman didnt cost a first round pick. replacing wideman very likely would not either.

btw....yes, you build your roster to survive injuries. all three of mcphee's puck movers were injured last playoffs. the odds that one gets hurt this time around is pretty good. you plan for it.

Old
01-01-2012, 06:16 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
fully not true. my man. we are talking assignments. who is the caps best offensive defenseman? its green. why would you want to make his primary assignment a defensive one by having him check the opposing first line and wasting his offensive skills by icing him with the checking line?

why would you want to do that?

btw....if you think green's job isn't creating offensive and creating transition because its dale now, you are just wrong.
You are saying we can't pair Alzner with Green. I call bunk. Like usual we will have to agree to disagree. If you see Dale pair Alzner with Green, can we say you are wrong?

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-01-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old
01-01-2012, 06:54 PM
txpd

Quote:
You are saying we can't pair Alzner with Green. I call bunk. Like usual we will have to agree to disagree. If you see Dale pair Alzner with Green, can we say you are wrong?
sure. unless of course, carlson is out of the lineup. and if they dont?

Old
01-01-2012, 07:19 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
sure. unless of course, carlson is out of the lineup. and if they dont?
Full health. If Alzner never plays with Green, you win.

You still think Green needs to bring an offensive explosion early in his return. I think that should be the last thing he needs to focus on. I feel he needs to learn how to play with a bum groin first. With Wideman Carlson Orlov and Hammer, I feel like this is the first time we havent needed him to be what you say he needs to be out of the gate. I want him slow and steady, a simple game for a few weeks, learn the new system. Let the offense present itself to him, as I trust you it will no matter his role.

Damn polar opposites.

Old
01-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Atlas

You guys are still waiting for tx to show how 2 + 2 = 5, huh? Even a bull gives up when he comes to a stone wall.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Atlas

Quote:

Green doesnt need to be explosive to help our team or himself as priority one on his return. He needs to find himself, his niche where he doesnt get clobbered and injured, much more than he needs to go full EXPL offense.

Mike "He Hate Me" Green

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 08:07 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
You guys are still waiting for tx to show how 2 + 2 = 5, huh? Even a bull gives up when he comes to a stone wall.
short of just throwing bombs, you got something to offer here? you think green and alzner should the be shutdown pair? you think thats the best use of his skill?

Old
01-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Click Here
You know you want to

Quote:
for a good return? in a second. he'll hurt in the playoffs more than he'll help with his constant turnovers, before signing elsewhere in july anyway, and youre saying we can get a significant return for him?

now, for a 2nd or some chump prospect, not worth it. cross your fingers and hope he doesnt play like hes drugged up in his dzone.

Click Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 08:21 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

He hate me = XFL legend

What are the ramifications of the groin. None, Mike Green is completely unaffected by it? I presume it will hurt to skate hard. Something isn't going to be 100%. Maybe he will get the odd day off. I suspect even he doesn't exactly know how its going to play out.

I don't think we move Sarge until we know what's up with Green. I expect Orlov to be in Hershey for Green in the short term.

Old
01-01-2012, 09:57 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post
for a good return? in a second. he'll hurt in the playoffs more than he'll help with his constant turnovers, before signing elsewhere in july anyway, and youre saying we can get a significant return for him?

now, for a 2nd or some chump prospect, not worth it. cross your fingers and hope he doesnt play like hes drugged up in his dzone.
You're serious? He was excellent for Boston in the playoffs.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Funkyalligator

Does anyone have thoughts on how DH is going to react to the constant targeting of Green? I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more retaliation than under BB plus some more fights and stuff. The first time that Green gets boarded or cheap shotted someone on the other team is going down....DH saying screw the reds.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyalligator View Post
Does anyone have thoughts on how DH is going to react to the constant targeting of Green? I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more retaliation than under BB plus some more fights and stuff. The first time that Green gets boarded or cheap shotted someone on the other team is going down....DH saying screw the reds.
Has even one single thing that's happened while he's been the coach led you to believe this?

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Funkyalligator

Nothing in particular although if you don't think the last buffalo game would have played out differently with BB as the coach I'm not sure what to tell you. But DH as a player didn't take s#it from people and I doubt he will let other teams get away with the liberties they take with Green all the time. Plus if he starts having guys go after people the refs will have to start calling stuff finally.

Old
01-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

I know what he was like as a player. Anyway, I'm much more worried about the legal hits that he takes on most of his shifts when he goes back to retrieve pucks than I am about him getting boarded by David Koci again.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Funkyalligator

Half of the injuries that green has had have been due to cheap hits that weren't even called with no response from the team....that's just not going to happen under DH.

Old
01-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Funkyalligator

Indeed Green needs to do a better job protecting himself but the man on man D will help with that plus the cheap hits won't be allowed to go unpunished by DH.

Old
01-01-2012, 10:55 PM
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Green took a lot of extra punishment merely by having Schultz as his D partner.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME is offline   Reply With Quote