HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ian Cole-3 Game suspension

Old
01-01-2012, 09:05 PM
STLBlueshistory
@STLBlueshistory

vCash: 500
Ian Cole-3 Game suspension

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=146497

STLBlueshistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:13 PM
h22prelude93

Total BS and favoritism on the NHL's part to give Cole three games on this hit...should have been one game tops. I agree with making the NHL safer, but they are taking this one too far. Abelkader was clearly skating with head down and leaned into the check. I didn't see any intention or recklessness on Cole's part. Since there was slight contact with the head I agree that there should have maybe been some discipline(fine or maybe one game), but giving Cole 3 games is excessive, inappropriate, and could end up really costing the Blues.

Last edited by h22prelude93: 01-01-2012 at 09:42 PM.
h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:27 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

These players need to learn that they can't deliver those type of hits anymore.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Bluesnatic27

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
Total BS and favoritism on the NHL's part to give Cole three games on this hit...should have been one game tops. I agree with making the NHL safer, but they are taking this one too far. Abelkader was clearly skating with head down and leaned into the check. I didn't see any intention or recklessness on Cole's part. Like I said, Since there was slight contact with the head I agree that there should have maybe been some discipline(fine or maybe one game), but giving Cole 3 games is excessive, inappropriate, and could end up really costing the Blues.
Although I agree, these are the same excuses for the Thornton hit on Perron, so the league does not take any kind of exception to anyone (hopefully, but there is always Crosby) so I'm glad they made the call even if it happened to a Blue

Bluesnatic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:40 PM
The Note
Overrated

Well now who plays? Fairchild?

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:41 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
Total BS and favoritism on the NHL's part to give Cole three games on this hit...should have been one game tops. I agree with making the NHL safer, but they are taking this one too far. Abelkader was clearly skating with head down and leaned into the check. I didn't see any intention or recklessness on Cole's part. Like I said, Since there was slight contact with the head I agree that there should have maybe been some discipline(fine or maybe one game), but giving Cole 3 games is excessive, inappropriate, and could end up really costing the Blues.
Did you watch the Shanahan video? Abdelkaders head was up and it didn't move at all prior to Cole making contact with his shoulder to Abdelkaders jaw. It also wasn't slight contact it was flush with all the impact to the head.

There wasn't any intent on Cole's part to injure and he didn't use his elbow but he was reckless in that his principal point of contact was to the head.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post
Did you watch the Shanahan video? Abdelkaders head was up and it didn't move at all prior to Cole making contact with his shoulder to Abdelkaders jaw. It also wasn't slight contact it was flush with all the impact to the head.

There wasn't any intent on Cole's part to injure and he didn't use his elbow but he was reckless in that his principal point of contact was to the head.
I don't deny that the hit was reckless and that Cole hit Abdelkater in the head, but with his lack of suspension history and the fact that were was no apparent injury on the play, he should have gotten 1-2 games. 3 is completely ridiculous and only happened because Cole isn't a big name in the league.

Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:47 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
These players need to learn that they can't deliver those type of hits anymore.
Players also need to learn to keep their heads up. Do you honestly think Cole deserved three games!? There was no injury, no intention, and really I don't see how this could be categorized as reckless either.

Old
01-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Spektre

Shanny has gone crazy. He said that "while "they" agree with Cole's assertion that he didn't deliberately target his head, this is a quintessential example of targeting the head"

Shanny I think you took one too many pucks to the head because that's what we like to call a contradiction.

Shanny you're a puss. This doesn't compare to the Perron hit. Perron didn't have his head down. Thornton the puke was coming at Perron from the side not from in front. He clearly went after Perron's head with his arm/elbow.

More bs from the league when it comes to defending the likes of Detroit & their other favorite teams. Abdelkader clearly has his head down.

So we get a 3 game suspension when there should be none. And Thornton got a 2 game suspension for knocking out our most skilled player for a year. Great job NHL.

If this bs had been going on during Scott Steven's career the NHL would have kicked him out of the league.

Spektre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:53 PM
diehardbluesfan

Quote:

His head was down when Cole hit him, something you're taught from the get go is to keep your head up. He also moves slightly right before Cole launches into him, and he his jaw, big difference between that and his head as far as hits go.

Detroit getting a call in their favor, does that surprise anybody? The NHL is up their ass so bad it's not even funny. I guess they didn't see Datsyuk's hit on Jackman the game before when he hit him in the head, but I'm guessing that was a legal hit.

diehardbluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:53 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
I don't deny that the hit was reckless and that Cole hit Abdelkater in the head, but with his lack of suspension history and the fact that were was no apparent injury on the play, he should have gotten 1-2 games. 3 is completely ridiculous and only happened because Cole isn't a big name in the league.
I agree that 3 might be excessive but its not out of line with what the league has handed out all year.

Red Wings Rookie Brendan Smith got 8 games for a similar hit and he also had no intent to injure or a history of suspension.

Old
01-01-2012, 09:57 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:

Yes, I've watched it several times. Why don't you take another look at when they pause it. Abelkader catches the pass from Ericsson(which was a suicide pass btw he should have known better) and he clearly has his head pointed to left and towards the ice. Cole has the body lined up, and Abelkader leans into the hit. Like I said, I agree that since the point of contact was the head that there should have been discipline, but 3 games is excessive for a first time offender with no intention and who really wasn't the one being reckless.

Old
01-01-2012, 09:58 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Players also need to learn to keep their heads up. Do you honestly think Cole deserved three games!? There was no injury, no intention, and really I don't see how this could be categorized as reckless either.
The NHL is finally doing something to stop headshots. Whether or not there was an injury, it was still a dangerous play. If Cole didn't overskate Abdelkader, he would've been able to level him and it would've been clean. Abdelkader's head level was constant through out the entire play, so he didn't duck into it and it was really more of a suicide pass to him. If Cole didn't overskate him, it would've been a clean hit. Was it recklass? Yes and that is why he got the suspension.

Old
01-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

vCash: 380
Wow I really didn't think he'd get suspended for this one. Certainly not 3 games.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:34 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbluesfan View Post
His head was down when Cole hit him, something you're taught from the get go is to keep your head up. He also moves slightly right before Cole launches into him, and he his jaw, big difference between that and his head as far as hits go.

Detroit getting a call in their favor, does that surprise anybody? The NHL is up their ass so bad it's not even funny. I guess they didn't see Datsyuk's hit on Jackman the game before when he hit him in the head, but I'm guessing that was a legal hit.
If someone has their head down it doesn't make it legal to hit them with the principal point of contact being the head. (Last I checked the jaw was part of the head)

A suicide pass doesn't excuse it either, the onus is on the hitter to make sure they hit body first and Cole failed to do so. If Abdelkader had ducked or moved his head into the hit, I'd agree that Cole's hit would be legal but he doesn't, his head is stationary when Cole makes contact.

Datsyuk's hit was borderline I thought he hit body first then head but i'm biased and having missed the game I've only seen the hit on youtube. It wasn't anywhere near as violent as this one as he didn't even knock Jackman off his feet.

There is no conspiracy to help the Wings they had a player suspended for more than double what Cole got for a similar hit.

Old
01-01-2012, 10:50 PM
STLhockey91*

Quote:

There is no conspiracy to help the Wings they had a player suspended for more than double what Cole got for a similar hit.
Yet Shanahan isn't being consistent with his Wings. A couple weeks ago, Kronwall performed the most reckless hit I have ever seen on Ryan Kesler by turning his back and leaving his feet. If what cole did was reckless and what Kronwall did wasn't, then I dont know what is. Kronwall never even got a game suspension for the **** he pulled that game. I hate the NHL for this reason.

STLhockey91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:51 PM
diehardbluesfan

Quote:
If someone has their head down it doesn't make it legal to hit them with the principal point of contact being the head. (Last I checked the jaw was part of the head)

A suicide pass doesn't excuse it either, the onus is on the hitter to make sure they hit body first and Cole failed to do so. If Abdelkader had ducked or moved his head into the hit, I'd agree that Cole's hit would be legal but he doesn't, his head is stationary when Cole makes contact.

Datsyuk's hit was borderline I thought he hit body first then head but i'm biased and having missed the game I've only seen the hit on youtube. It wasn't anywhere near as violent as this one as he didn't even knock Jackman off his feet.

If you get hit in the jaw, you're not going to get a concussion, that's my point.

Yes it does, if his dumbass teammate didn't set him up to get nailed by having his head down, then he wouldn't of hit his head at all. Cole didn't even him that hard either.

Datsyuk's clearly hit Jackman in the head, even Wings fan on HF said that.

If you honestly think that, you are either very delusional or very biased. Datsyuk didn't even get a penalty on that hit, Lidstrom always get bailed out some how on penalties, the penalty on Dags and Arnott in the 1st game last week were just terrible that led to goals IIRC. The NHL & refs let Detroit and especially their super stars get away with a lot more than regular teams. If that was Lidstrom instead of Cole, he wouldn't of even got a fine, probably not even a penalty, and you know that's true.

Old
01-01-2012, 10:55 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman1707 View Post
Yet Shanahan isn't being consistent with his Wings. A couple weeks ago, Kronwall performed the most reckless hit I have ever seen on Ryan Kesler by turning his back and leaving his feet. If what cole did was reckless and what Kronwall did wasn't, then I dont know what is. Kronwall never even got a game suspension for the **** he pulled that game. I hate the NHL for this reason.
Smith got an 8 game suspension, longer than Stewart's and Cole's combined, there is no conspiracy. Shanny and the NHL maybe inconsistent, but there isn't a conspiracy. I mean come on guys that is just ridiculous. Refs have been bad for everyone this season, not just the Blues.

Old
01-01-2012, 10:57 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
If you get hit in the jaw, you're not going to get a concussion, that's my point.
Actually you can.

Old
01-01-2012, 10:59 PM
STLhockey91*

Quote:
Smith got an 8 game suspension, longer than Stewart's and Cole's combined, there is no conspiracy. Shanny and the NHL maybe inconsistent, but there isn't a conspiracy. I mean come on guys that is just ridiculous. Refs have been bad for everyone this season, not just the Blues.
It isn't crazy. Compare these two plays. Shanahan suspends Fistric and not Kronwall. Kronwall leaves his feet too and is even more wreckless, and I hate listening to Shanahan contradict himself over and over. HERPADERP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZdbCO-gqQ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKSoNMIIcWY

Obvious favoritism. CALL IT SHANNY

Old
01-01-2012, 11:04 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman1707 View Post
It isn't crazy. Compare these two plays. Shanahan suspends Fistric and not Kronwall. Kronwall leaves his feet too and is even more wreckless, and I hate listening to Shanahan contradict himself over and over. HERPADERP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZdbCO-gqQ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKSoNMIIcWY

Obvious favoritism. CALL IT SHANNY
They are inconsistent and I said that, but he gave Smith an 8 game suspension, meaning a Detroit player got a significant suspension, meaning no conspiracy, just inconsistency.

Old
01-01-2012, 11:08 PM
STLhockey91*

Quote:
They are inconsistent and I said that, but he gave Smith an 8 game suspension, meaning a Detroit player got a significant suspension, meaning no conspiracy, just inconsistency.
Maybe the Smith hit was a little too obvious NOT to call...Just because he correctly gives Smith 8 games here doesn't mean he hasn't shown a general trend of favoritism towards the wings. 1 Correct call doesn't make up for 6 very BS ones.

Old
01-01-2012, 11:14 PM
The Russian Tank

Quote:
That's what Shanahan wants you to think. But, he knew if he suspended Smith that it wouldn't hurt Detroit's chances since he doesnt even play.

The Russian Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:15 PM
diehardbluesfan

Quote:
When? I don't see a Smith on your roster plus never heard of the guy. Point is, Kronwall has a history of reckless hits and I don't recall a suspension off the top of my head on him or any other top player on Detroit. A reason for that is because they are probably the softest overall team in the league as far as hitting goes.

Old
01-01-2012, 11:22 PM
STLhockey91*

Quote:
When? I don't see a Smith on your roster plus never heard of the guy. Point is, Kronwall has a history of reckless hits and I don't recall a suspension off the top of my head on him or any other top player on Detroit. A reason for that is because they are probably the softest overall team in the league as far as hitting goes.
I agree. Kronwall's hits are ridiculous. He blindly throws his back toward the opposing player, and Shanahan doesn't consider that wreckless? At this point, I think Shanahan is stupid and corrupt. Plus, I can't believe there wasn't even any attention towards datsyuk's hit on Jackman. That deserved at least a fine if not 1 game.