HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bauer Classic/Sherwood 5030 shoulder pads

Old
01-02-2012, 02:12 AM
The Spicy Shrimp

vCash: 500
Bauer Classic/Sherwood 5030 shoulder pads

Anyone have any experience with or opinions on the old style shoulder pads? I'm thinking of going from 8Ks (got em used for 30 bucks when I started out a few years ago) to something lighter. My only hesitance is that I play D and I don't want to sacrifice protection for comfort. Are they really okay for non-contact leagues?

The Spicy Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 02:49 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spicy Shrimp View Post
Anyone have any experience with or opinions on the old style shoulder pads? I'm thinking of going from 8Ks (got em used for 30 bucks when I started out a few years ago) to something lighter. My only hesitance is that I play D and I don't want to sacrifice protection for comfort. Are they really okay for non-contact leagues?
I like the Bauer's. I stopped wearing shoulder pads during the last beer league seasons and noticed no difference in my play other than more freedom. I am also going to be playing D this next season and am looking to go back to shoulder pads and don't want anything too bulky.

The two I have for use aren't bad and I will probably be taking the knife to a certain pair just to give me chest and shoulder protection.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 05:12 AM
vapor11

I use the Bauer classic supremes for pickup..and I love them..I have had some accidental contact from time to time and haven't felt a thing.. the only thing I would be worried about if playing defense is taking shots...I have a big gap on my stomach that is unprotected

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:29 AM
r3cc0s

personally I think that everyone should go back to using 5030's in the league

well... then again, shot blocking is now a value add of the defence and heck anyone on the power play kill, so a bit more in the chest/abs is probably required

they are pretty light, not very bulky and are cheap and give more protection than you need for non-contact hockey

for contact, they are sufficient as long as you aren't a shot blocker, and even if you are... heck I can't even think of a shoulder pad that can truely protect you.

I belive a couple NHLers use thes pads for practice, and some actually in the game w/ a combination of a ball hockey shirt (kinda smart)

I prefer none, but if I do, its the 5030 or my 9950

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:58 PM
MeltingPlastic

I have 5030s and love them.. While games get chippy, they offer the right amount of protection for non-contact leagues... i play defense and block shots and never had an issue. Even my old Bauer shoulder pads that i used in contact leagues growing up didnt offer much more protection asside for huge shoulders and a lower stomach and it still stung to get tagged there

MeltingPlastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:42 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I had the Bauer Classic's and I used them for about 5 months with no issues. Once I started playing in an actual league I moved up to CCM V09s, or whatever they are called. Day 1 with the new shoulder pads I got launched by a guy who did not know how to stop and landed right on my shoulder. If I had my Bauer's I could have been in trouble, but the new CCM's protected me very well. Plus they are light and actual more low profile than the Bauer's or the 5030's. I guess it depends on what kind of league you are in. If it is beginner you might want more protection from guys who can't control themselves, but if it is mid level non-contact you should be fine with the classic pads.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:55 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
personally I think that everyone should go back to using 5030's in the league

well... then again, shot blocking is now a value add of the defence and heck anyone on the power play kill, so a bit more in the chest/abs is probably required

they are pretty light, not very bulky and are cheap and give more protection than you need for non-contact hockey

for contact, they are sufficient as long as you aren't a shot blocker, and even if you are... heck I can't even think of a shoulder pad that can truely protect you.

I belive a couple NHLers use thes pads for practice, and some actually in the game w/ a combination of a ball hockey shirt (kinda smart)

I prefer none, but if I do, its the 5030 or my 9950
Colton Orr wears the Sherwood ones iirc, but that guy's huge

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:28 AM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Colton Orr wears the Sherwood ones iirc, but that guy's huge
all the toughie's wear the vintage HT2 helmet (like mine san's visor), 5030 SPs, and a loose elbow pad on their throwing arm (sometimes just one strap)

but, Jokkenin uses the 5030's in actual games w/ a padded shirt... pretty smart combo I'd say

Old
01-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's a decent shoulder for pickup hockey or no contact leagues. For any league where there's contact, checking, or heavy shots you might have to block I'd step up to a nicer pad.

I personally use and love the Reebok 4k/5k shoulders. Tons of mobility with some padding on the front and back with spine and chest protection. Breathes and moves as easy as my old 5030's did. I also really like the Easton ST models with the floating sternum piece. Other brands I've tried and haven't liked as they ride up and/or feel like a wool sweater.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:53 PM
r3cc0s

if you look @ the locker room these days in the NHL, I think the most predominant pads are still RBKs, and next being the CCM and then Warrior...

I don't seem to see many Bauer's on the shows (i.e. HBo 24/7) or interviews, and definately RBK 7k Pro's for elbows and 11k for shinpads

that being said, there are those individuals who still use old pads that they're comfortable with... i.e. Bauer 2000s, Itech's and stuff dating back to the late 90's

for me... I hate sweating for no reason, and the 5030's do lack ventillation, but just the size/weight benefit make them tolerable. However if I were to go back into a checking league, I think the TotalOne's are the lightest and have the most ventillation I've seen for any of the top line pads... though the CCM's have the nicest shouder caps

Old
01-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Guffaw

I used to wear the 5030's for pickup and no check(far from non contact).

I ditched the 5030's for several reasons:
-biceps protectors are too long and interfered w my elbow pads
-shoulder caps are not rounded and almost like dinner plates.
-virtually no spine, sternum, or clavicle protection.

I went with Bauer One40's and could not be happier. Plastic spine protection, heavy density foam over sternum and clavicle, and they are virtually the same exact weight as 5030's. I think it was like .03lbs difference.

There are 3 lightweight shoulder pads(around 1.5lbs) that I know of. 5030's, Bauer Classics, Bauer ONE40's. The one40's just offer more protection IMHO than the other 2 at the same weight. My game is speed so I try and keep the weight of my equipment to a minimum.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
It's a decent shoulder for pickup hockey or no contact leagues. For any league where there's contact, checking, or heavy shots you might have to block I'd step up to a nicer pad.
Where are these no contact leagues you guys speak of?

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Where are these no contact leagues you guys speak of?
I just played a "no contact" over 35 tournament. On my butt constantly in front of the oppositions net.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote