HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs at WJC Part II (Gallagher, Bournival & Beaulieu CAN, Tinordi USA, Pribyl CZE)

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Protest the Hero

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Apparently people here don't believe 6'7 dmen take time to develop, and every prospect should be a Crosby or they are a bust.
Trade him for Marc Andre Bergeron!

Old
01-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

If we play Russia then Vasilevski will give us a run for our money.

Old
01-01-2012, 01:23 PM
TinordiandSubban

Beaulieu always seems to have some late game drama. Like his style though, stud defenseman is a cliche that fits.

Gallagher has no real exceptional talent except an insane desire to win and incredible stamina and fitness. Chases the puck with such intensity it is scary.

Tinordi at his peak will be a man-mountain. Bournival is such a smart, hard-working player.

Great prospects coming through for the Habs.

Old
01-01-2012, 01:24 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle West View Post
Beaulieu always seems to have some late game drama. Like his style though, stud defenseman is a cliche that fits.

Gallagher has no real exceptional talent except an insane desire to win and incredible stamina and fitness. Chases the puck with such intensity it is scary.

Tinordi at his peak will be a man-mountain. Bournival is such a smart, hard-working player.

Great prospects coming through for the Habs.
These young guys are the brightest spots among the mediocre team/org we have right now.

Old
01-01-2012, 01:33 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Things to do to make the NHL:
Gallagher:
*First step must be a lot faster for a small guy.
*Not everything is a shot at the net. He needs to learn how to pass more often.

Tinordi:
*Simply physical stuff. Get heavier and bulkier. Boxing lessons from dad wouldn't hurt either... actually they would hurt, but it would be good for him.

Beaulieu:
*He has everything, but holy **** does he make weird decisions... Not sure if this is fixable but he has Subban syndrome.

Bournival:
*Not much tbh. Smart defensively. Somewhat elusive offensively. Just needs lower body strength like DD last season.

Old
01-01-2012, 01:35 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Agreed Gallagher needs to pass more. Too much of a Gionta clone in that respect. I get you miss 100% of the shots you don't take, but your line mates miss 100% of the open nets you don't pass the puck to them for.

Old
01-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Things to do to make the NHL:
Gallagher:
*First step must be a lot faster for a small guy.
*Not everything is a shot at the net. He needs to learn how to pass more often.

Tinordi:
*Simply physical stuff. Get heavier and bulkier. Boxing lessons from dad wouldn't hurt either... actually they would hurt, but it would be good for him.

Beaulieu:
*He has everything, but holy **** does he make weird decisions... Not sure if this is fixable but he has Subban syndrome.

Bournival:
*Not much tbh. Smart defensively. Somewhat elusive offensively. Just needs lower body strength like DD last season.
You forgot Pribyl...

Hopefully once Beaulieu makes the NHL we will still have Roy as head coach!

Old
01-01-2012, 02:20 PM
kojiro

Honestly from what I've seen of Gallagher in the pre-season and in this tournament I really don't see his mobility ever being a big issue once he turns pro. Whatever skating deficiencies that Gallagher may have at this point in his development has to be put in contrast with his offensive production. If he can post three straight 40+ goals seasons in the WHL while being considered ''slow'' than imagine how much better he will be when he gets all that strength and conditioning and power skating training when he gets to the NHL! I might be overly enthusiastic here but he just never really seamed THAT slow to me...

Old
01-01-2012, 04:40 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

I for one am incredibly excited for Tinordi. Kid is exactly what our defence needs. give him another couple years to fill out and he'll be a monster. He's like a defensively oriented Myers with a mean streak.

Old
01-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Top Corner2

amazing what a year will do with prospects......last year people had nothing good to say about Tinordi and hated the pick....

What do you expect i guess....might happen again if he struggles in the AHL early next year

Old
01-01-2012, 06:36 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Gallagher's lack of finish in NHL preseason and now in this tournament is worrisome to me.

Old
01-01-2012, 06:52 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
You forgot Pribyl...

Hopefully once Beaulieu makes the NHL we will still have Roy as head coach!
I didn't forget him. It's hard to measure how much he's improved from camp because of his injury.

Old
01-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

AS FAR AS THIS TOURNAMENT IS CONCERNED (Disclaimer: This is not a critic as far as their future with us...), it's pretty sad to see that we have 5 prospects in a tournament and nobody is actually shining. Everybody does their job. But not at the level of a Kuznetsov or Stone.

But at least, for me, nobody dissapointed. I expected Beaulieu to either not make it or be #7. So I can't be disspointed. He could have just surprised me. And what's great is that I beleive he just added a few ounce of humility.

Old
01-01-2012, 08:10 PM
TroyM

Hmm, shining maybe a bit much but from what I've seen and opinions from other people who I trust I think Tinordi and Gallagher have had great WJC showings so far. Maybe only a couple players per tournament truly shine though, but I think these guys stood out as very good to this point among their peers.

Old
01-01-2012, 08:53 PM
NotProkofievian

Gallagher's going to be just fine. Jesus, he's just snake-bit. He'll probably have over 50 goals this season in the WHL.

I remember in the GDT there were fans of all sorts ranting about how terrible Gallagher was while he was creating something literally EVERY SHIFT. Out battling people who had close to 50 pounds on him, it says something that you can even GET 3 or so odd man rushes. He just over-thought it.

It'll be fine. What is positive is that he definitely elevates his play to the occaision. He's going to be a hell of a player, and I predict that he'll be a difference maker against teams like Sweden and Russia should we meet them(and it's looking like we will). He'll give them fits.

There's a reason why Connolly, with his impeccable finish, is not on the number one line and Gallagher is: Gallagher won't ever quit...Connolly might.

Old
01-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Gallagher's lack of finish in NHL preseason and now in this tournament is worrisome to me.
I'd be worried if it was the same in the WHL but he is scoring there so I'm not too worried. A year or two in Hamilton will be great for him

Old
01-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
I didn't forget him. It's hard to measure how much he's improved from camp because of his injury.
It's not about how much he improved from camp (since, like Nattinen and Leblanc, he wasn't at camp) but about what Pribyl needs to do to make the NHL.

Old
01-02-2012, 01:36 AM
Mr. Hab

Where can I find a link to STATS...

For Team Canada, Usa, Czcech Republic. (I checked TSN WJC site and found no stats link?).

Thanks in advance.

Old
01-02-2012, 01:46 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Where can I find a link to STATS...

For Team Canada, Usa, Czcech Republic. (I checked TSN WJC site and found no stats link?).

Thanks in advance.
http://www.iihf.com/channels1112/wm20/statistics.html

Habs Prospects website
Old
01-02-2012, 02:09 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsprospects View Post
Ah! Thank-you for the link and Happy New Year to you and all the Hab fans (and non-Hab fans) out there!!

Can't wait to see Gallagher, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Bournival, Pribyl..all in Hab jerseys. 2012-2013? 2013-2014?

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 01-02-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old
01-02-2012, 08:24 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
AS FAR AS THIS TOURNAMENT IS CONCERNED (Disclaimer: This is not a critic as far as their future with us...), it's pretty sad to see that we have 5 prospects in a tournament and nobody is actually shining. Everybody does their job. But not at the level of a Kuznetsov or Stone.

But at least, for me, nobody dissapointed. I expected Beaulieu to either not make it or be #7. So I can't be disspointed. He could have just surprised me. And what's great is that I beleive he just added a few ounce of humility.
I'm sorry, but didn't Kuznetsov get all of his 9 points in one game against Latvia? I wouldn't really call that shining.

As for Stone, he's great, but how much pro potential does he really have? His skating definitely limits him. Maybe he becomes a 2nd liner.

I don't know how to grade him, but Tinordi did shine in my mind. He looked good in NHL preseason and in this tournament. He seems to raise his level of play when the competition is stronger.

I agree about the humility with Beaulieu. The exact same thing Subban went through his first time around. The only difference was that Subban was able to redeem himself the year after.

Old
01-02-2012, 09:57 AM
onice

From what I've seen and with my my pre-tournament expectations, Tinordi has made the biggest impression.

Ferraro mentioned a couple of times he was the US's best player and I agree with him. My gut feeling tells me he's going to be the best of our 5 prospects.

Pribyl hasn't shown much but we can attribute that to his injury. So I have a wait & see attitude with this prospect.

I'm starting to see why Beaulieu dropped to us. It's not the end of the world but there are huge gaps in his game. Hopefully he will eventually close those gaps.

Bournival has settled into a two way player. Something tells me his offensive game won't translate to the NHL.

Gallagher has been the biggest disappointment. I know he's a spark plug & tireless worker with a never quit attitude but his size & average speed worries me when he has trouble finishing. Maybe he is just going through a dry spell. I certainly hope it's just a temporary thing and not an inability to score at a higher level.

Old
01-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Erik Estrada
Nik Scherbak

Tinordi's been my most pleasant surprise because some recent reports on him had given me flashbacks of David Fischer.

Old
01-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I'm sorry, but didn't Kuznetsov get all of his 9 points in one game against Latvia? I wouldn't really call that shining.

As for Stone, he's great, but how much pro potential does he really have? His skating definitely limits him. Maybe he becomes a 2nd liner.

I don't know how to grade him, but Tinordi did shine in my mind. He looked good in NHL preseason and in this tournament. He seems to raise his level of play when the competition is stronger.

I agree about the humility with Beaulieu. The exact same thing Subban went through his first time around. The only difference was that Subban was able to redeem himself the year after.
Again, you're talking about pro potential here. I'm not. Solely about what we saw in the tournament. Reason for the capital letters and the disclaimer.

As far as Kuznetsov is concerned, well no matter the competition, he was at 1 point from being tied with a Peter Forsberg record. And all the best teams once plays against weaker opposition. It doesn't make them look as good as Kuznetsov did. And against tough opposition, while not having points, he was really dangerous out there. But if you don't like my Kuznetsov example, might as well take Friberg.

Again though, it does NOT mean they won't end up being serviceable at the NHL level. Far from it. Just talking about the actual competition.

Old
01-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Tinordi's been my most pleasant surprise because some recent reports on him had given me flashbacks of David Fischer.
Don't see where you got those reports. Totally 2 different types of players. And I think that even in his struggles, it is pretty clear that Tinordi AT WORST, has a NHL spot already guaranteed as a #6. Thing is, as a 1st round pick, this is NOT what you want out of your choice.

It was always about perfecting his art as far as Tinordi is concerned. While Fischer has to TOTALLY take his potential and make it a hockey player. MUCH TOUGHER thing to do for Fischer. And a total waste of pick for the unknown factor that he was. At least not top 30. In 2009, I can tell you that there were at least 3 guys like him with the same pedigree or almost. Guys like Brian Dumoulin in 2009 who went 51. Mike Alt in 2010 who went #53 or even Justin Holl in 2010 who went #54. Or Julian Melchiori who went #87. Big tall guys, tons of filling to do and a style to develop. Yes some years are better than others but there were MUCH interesting players with higher potential to be drafted earlier.

Which is probably the only comparision you could made with Tinordi vs Fischer. There were players that were drafted later with much better potential. But Tinordi is MUCH safer to play in the NHL than Fischer ever dreamed to be.

Closed Thread