HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sean Avery waived (UPDATE: Clears waivers; assigned to AHL)

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2012, 03:21 PM
McIlrathsWrath

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
The emotion surrounding the avery situation is unreal

The team is playing absolutely lights out, and the fanbase is up in arms about a completely irrelevant player

Avery has had zero effect on this season and there's no reason to think that was going to change
I dint think this is true. Some people have favorites. It sucks to see your favorite player go. I'm sure every ranger fan has seen it happen... As much as I love watching Avery play, if winning means getting rid if him, you won't hear me complaining.

On another note... I think I may be a jinx. I bought a drury jersey and an Avery jersey the year they were exiled... This year I got Richards, we'll see what happens lol...

Old
01-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Hearing stories like that are the closest well get to knowing what he's "really" like. My friends been to his bar several times and hasn't paid for a thing. He even gave him food at Tinys. It's not just a one time "plate of wings and a bud."
All i said is it's ridiculous to consider someone a good guy because he buys people drinks or food here and there. Especially when he owns the bar and makes 4 mil plus a year.

Sure it's a very nice gesture and maybe he is a good guy. But I think it's just ridiculous to believe he is based on something so minor.

Last edited by NYR Sting: 01-01-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old
01-01-2012, 06:00 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
All i said is it's ridiculous to consider someone a good guy because he buys people drinks or food here and there. Especially when he owns the bar and makes 4 mil plus a year.

Sure it's a very nice gesture and maybe he is a good guy. But I think it's just ridiculous to believe he is based on something so minor.
Never said he was a good guy either. BRB just said he was a ***** on and off the ice and I just said he can't be that much of one if he does good gestures for some of his fans.

Last edited by NYR Sting: 01-01-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old
01-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Never said he was a good guy either. BRB just said he was a ***** on and off the ice and I just said he can't be that much of one if he does good gestures for some of his fans.
I disagree with that. Bad people can do good gestures. At the end of the day, none of us really have any idea what Sean Avery is like. We don't know if he is ****** or amazing in the lockeroom.

Regardless, if all 30 teams in the NHL don't want him at under a 2 million cap hit, then something is wrong.

And I don't buy for a second the reputation act. If any GM thought Avery could help there team significantly improve they'd take him.

Old
01-01-2012, 08:31 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Wouldn't the cap hit on recallable waivers been in the EC salary range (968K)? 1/2 Dallas and the other half split between NYR and team that picked him up? If that's the case, it's even more telling about what the other 29 clubs think of Avery.

Old
01-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Someone mentioned that Avery made some remarks following his demotion, but I couldn't find anything. Link, please?

Old
01-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Wouldn't the cap hit on recallable waivers been in the EC salary range (968K)? 1/2 Dallas and the other half split between NYR and team that picked him up? If that's the case, it's even more telling about what the other 29 clubs think of Avery.
Yup. He would have cost under a million for a full season.

945K or somewhere around there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner View Post
Someone mentioned that Avery made some remarks following his demotion, but I couldn't find anything. Link, please?
I believe these are the comments he was referring to.

Quote:
Sean Avery, placed on waivers by the Rangers at noon Friday, told The Post he “guarantee[s]” that a club claiming him “won’t ever be sorry.”

“I have a lot to prove, and I have a lot of game left after not being allowed to play my game for the last four years,” Avery told The Post before returning to New York from Florida, where he was given notice of the move Friday morning.

“I guarantee that I’ll play my a-- off and give everything I have for the team that will give me the chance I wasn’t getting [by coach John Tortorella]. That team will be getting a guy who has a lot to prove.

“The GM and coach willing to look past some of the things that are out there about me, I can guarantee that they won’t ever be sorry, and neither would my teammates.

“I’m hungry to prove people wrong.”

“I have a lot left and a lot to prove,” Avery said. “I can be the type of difference-maker I was in New York when I was there the first time and allowed to play my game.

“And that what I’ll be for any team that’s willing to look beyond the rhetoric and see my value on the ice. I’ll give everything I have to help that team win.”

Old
01-01-2012, 09:45 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

You'd have to think that those comments keep Avery on the Whale for the rest of the season - whether you agree with them or not. Can't really say stuff like that and expect your coach to respond positively.

Old
01-01-2012, 09:54 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
You'd have to think that those comments keep Avery on the Whale for the rest of the season - whether you agree with them or not. Can't really say stuff like that and expect your coach to respond positively.
Why not? Avery responded positively to the comments Tortorella made after his first demotion. Tortorella can do the same now. LOL...I laughed just typing that.

Last edited by gluvhand: 01-01-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old
01-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
Why not? Avery responded positively to the comments Tortorella made after his first demotion. Tortorella can do the same now. LOL...I laughed just typing that.
You don't make negative comments about your boss and get away with it. I don't think Avery would have been back up anyway, but that pretty much cemented it.

Old
01-01-2012, 10:21 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Yup. He would have cost under a million for a full season.

945K or somewhere around there.

I believe these are the comments he was referring to.
good man, nothing wrong with what he said there its all true.

Old
01-01-2012, 10:29 PM
nyrleetch

Anybody having an image of Voros and Avery losing it one game and just going after everyone lol.

Old
01-01-2012, 10:31 PM
bmw2004

You can't have disagreement with some people and Tort's is one of them. Sean had a lot of disagreements with Torts and vise versa. It's very unfortunate for Avery that his coach just hates his guts, otherwise he could still be very useful for this team. I hope he could still sign a conrtacts with the NHL team in the Atlantic devision and kill Rangers every time the play against him.

Old
01-01-2012, 10:32 PM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
You can't have disagreement with some people and Tort's is one of them. Sean had a lot of disagreements with Torts and vise versa. It's very unfortunate for Avery that his coach just hates his guts, otherwise he could still be very useful for this team. I hope he could still sign a conrtacts with the NHL team in the Atlantic devision and kill Rangers every time the play against him.
I hope Avery does well if he gets another shot. Just not against us.

Old
01-01-2012, 10:35 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
Anybody having an image of Voros and Avery losing it one game and just going after everyone lol.
Ya really just to see Torts fume on the bench, would make my day. I would think a team like Montreal would be a good fit for him, but hey im not a GM, but those french people would love him and he could do well with Cammelari.

Old
01-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Why? Why on earth would you possibly hope that? That's not the first time I've seen that said and I can't get my head around why people seem to want Avery to succeed more than they want the Rangers to succeed.

Old
01-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

While I'm glad that Avery isn't with the team, I'm glad to see his defiant attitude. He may yet have a future in the NHL, likely on a struggling team looking for a bottom 6 guy. Like he said, he's hungry. Guy like him doesn't take getting sent down once lightly. Twice? I'm ready to hear some story of him killing some kid down in the AHL

It's clear that Torts doesn't want the type of game Sean brings. Which is fine by me, as I agree with him. What's awful is that by passing through waivers 3 times unclaimed, he has precisely zero trade value. He'll go FA this summer, and I'm not sure if he'll get resigned. Hopefully, he picks up a gig out west, where he'll be allowed to run around and piss people off to his hearts content. But he'll never do it in a Rangers jersey again, and for that, I'm glad.

Old
01-02-2012, 12:19 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
So what you are saying is you're not a Ranger fan but an Avery fan.

Good to know.

Old
01-02-2012, 03:39 AM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Ya really just to see Torts fume on the bench, would make my day. I would think a team like Montreal would be a good fit for him, but hey im not a GM, but those french people would love him and he could do well with Cammelari.
I know, this team needs to find a coach that will lead it to become one of the top teams in the league, not one that creates a team identity which doesn't include a player of Sean's caliber. This is about making sure you have the best individuals, damnit! Look at the Devils with Kovalchuk!

Montreal would be an awesome fit for Sean, and I think he would love Calamari! Those crazy French love that ****!

Old
01-02-2012, 04:53 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Avery has reported to the Whale. They have a game today at 1pm

Quote:
Sean Avery traveled with the team to Portland.
https://twitter.com/#!/CTWhale/statu...60277311803392

Old
01-02-2012, 05:26 AM
HookeyPookey*

Torts pretty much hates Avery that's why he's waived...nothing less nothing more.

Old
01-02-2012, 06:01 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billionaire Bot View Post
Why? Why on earth would you possibly hope that? That's not the first time I've seen that said and I can't get my head around why people seem to want Avery to succeed more than they want the Rangers to succeed.
They are Avery fans, not Rangers fans. Why is that difficult to comprehend?

Old
01-02-2012, 06:34 AM
McIlrathsWrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
They are Avery fans, not Rangers fans. Why is that difficult to comprehend?
I think the point he was making was simply... Avery deserved a spot and he hopes this decision bites torts in the ass...

Old
01-02-2012, 06:39 AM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookeyPookey View Post
Torts pretty much hates Avery that's why he's waived...nothing less nothing more.
That and the fact that Avery hasn't been that good last two seasons...6 goals in 80 games just isn't good enough since he has lost his edge under Torts. Its not like he's absolutely worthless, it's just that he doesn't add anything to the team anymore. Rather play Hagelin or Rupp over him since they bring more to the team.

Old
01-02-2012, 07:50 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEANbrAVERY View Post
I think the point he was making was simply... Avery deserved a spot and he hopes this decision bites torts in the ass...
The only way it bites Torts in the ass is if the Rangers fall on their collective faces. Ergo, he prefers Avery to the Rangers no matter how you choose to phrase it.

Closed Thread