HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers recall Hartikainen from OKC; assign Petrell to OKC.

Old
01-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Auguste Escoffier

vCash: 500
Oilers recall Hartikainen from OKC; assign Petrell to OKC.

Good to hear Harski is back; though I am extremely disappointed the Oilers decided to send Petrell down to OKC instead of Lander. I do not understand why this club is reluctant to demote their young players.

Auguste Escoffier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Muscles Glasses

I agree, odd move sending Petrell down as he has been pretty good on the 4th line, and killing penalties.

Muscles Glasses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:21 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyEyezPK View Post
Good to hear Harski is back; though I am extremely disappointed the Oilers decided to send Petrell down to OKC instead of Lander. I do not understand why this club is reluctant to demote their young players.
Yea I dont get it either. To me it makes more sense to send down the young guy who has no strings attached(ie wife and kids). Especially after considering that Petrell brought what we asked of him every night and that Lander can be a liability and would likely benefit more from his time in OKC then Petrell. Just shows the class of the Oilers organization, you wouldn't see this happen in Detroit.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

I have liked Petrell's game and seems to be doing fine on few minutes so this is a little surprising. Happy we get to see Harti though because we need a bit more grit and offense.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Beerfish

Well that outta right the ship. They should have brought up Hartikainen and benched one of the underacheiving vets. The usual oiler motto of benching or press boxing guys who don't really deserve it and giving the favs a free pass.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Extremely disappointed. Petrell brought much more to this team than I think Härski will at the moment. Would have loved to see lander sent down to develop his offense with Hartikainen and Pääjärvi. We need those guys to develop into offensive players in the future.

Not liking this move.

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Peter The Great

Renney loves Lander's powerplay killing abilities, he stays.

In fact, Renney loves everything which has to do with defense.

21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:40 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Well that outta right the ship. They should have brought up Hartikainen and benched one of the underacheiving vets. The usual oiler motto of benching or press boxing guys who don't really deserve it and giving the favs a free pass.
Uhmm, so you really think that Harti is the medicine the Oilers need to fix things? I hope you are right but I think you greatly overestimate his potential impact. He's having a decent season so far but nothing out of the ordinary (which I actually find a bit disappointing since I was expecting him to take big step this year).

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
Uhmm, so you really think that Harti is the medicine the Oilers need to fix things? I hope you are right but I think you greatly overestimate his potential impact. He's having a decent season so far but nothing out of the ordinary (which I actually find a bit disappointing since I was expecting him to take big step this year).
Your sarcasm detector needs some real help but welcome to the internet nonetheless!

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:45 AM
zeus3007*

The only reason that I can think of for this, is that the Oil want more offensive production from the third line, which makes sense considering the second line has been shooting blanks for some time now. I hope Petrell gets brought back up soon, he deserves to be on our 4th line. Eager hasn't worked out so far and I can't see him having no value around the league, maybe we can trade him by the deadline for a pick and get Petrell back up here. I'll cross my fingers for that anyway.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:46 AM
mactforcoach

Nice to see Harti called up, I thought he might be coming to replace Jones who I was expecting to see on the IR list. I don't like seeing Petrell sent down though, he's been everything we expected and more so far.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:47 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
Renney loves Lander's powerplay killing abilities, he stays.

In fact, Renney loves everything which has to do with defense.
Ironic that the Oilers still suck as whole in that department.

If Renney wants to send a message, bench/sit/PB Hemsky and/or [preferably and] Horcoff

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:49 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Yea I dont get it either. To me it makes more sense to send down the young guy who has no strings attached(ie wife and kids). Especially after considering that Petrell brought what we asked of him every night and that Lander can be a liability and would likely benefit more from his time in OKC then Petrell. Just shows the class of the Oilers organization, you wouldn't see this happen in Detroit.
Who cares about Detroit anyway? I keep hearing this over and over again and I just can't help to get annoyed by it. As an organization we are pretty damn far from being Detroit in so many aspects that it just becomes ridiculous to mention them...

Anyway, I also don't like Petrell being sent down. I think he's been doing exactly what he should have and what was asked of him but I also don't see why Lander should go down. Lander has been solid on the 4th line and I think that his presence there has actually made that line way more stable and solid than in previous years. If he's the best player we have available for that position he should be playing, no discussion.

Old
01-02-2012, 10:52 AM
frag2

Quote:
Who cares about Detroit anyway? I keep hearing this over and over again and I just can't help to get annoyed by it. As an organization we are pretty damn far from being Detroit in so many aspects that it just becomes ridiculous to mention them...

Anyway, I also don't like Petrell being sent down. I think he's been doing exactly what he should have and what was asked of him but I also don't see why Lander should go down. Lander has been solid on the 4th line and I think that his presence there has actually made that line way more stable and solid than in previous years. If he's the best player we have available for that position he should be playing, no discussion.
There are 2 parts to a game-defense and offense. Lander is just as big of a black hole in the latter as Belanger. Difference is that Lander can be sent down without waiver BS biting the Oilers and actually play some quality minutes.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:54 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Your sarcasm detector needs some real help but welcome to the internet nonetheless!

My head is still not back in shape after New Years eve, that's my excuse and I'll stick with it!!

Old
01-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:

No question Lander has been good on the 4th line. It's just that I think he could amount to much better in the future if given an opportunity to develop his offense in a big role in the OKC.

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:57 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
What a gong show. What did Petrell do to deserve a demotion? Demote a 27yr old and bring up the young guy to the gong show.

That's great thinking.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:03 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
There are 2 parts to a game-defense and offense. Lander is just as big of a black hole in the latter as Belanger. Difference is that Lander can be sent down without waiver BS biting the Oilers and actually play some quality minutes.
I get that but at the same time I don't think that it is necessarily bad for his game to stay here and play on the 4th line. Furthermore I don't see any reason for the Oilers to remove him from the 4th line if he is the best in that position.

Anyway, I went through this argument more specifically a couple of weeks ago in another thread and I won't do it again since there were many pages of back and forth about it. Bottom line is that I just disagree with what I guess are most posters opinion on this matter.

Old
01-02-2012, 11:06 AM
mactforcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
What a gong show. What did Petrell do to deserve a demotion? Demote a 27yr old and bring up the young guy to the gong show.

That's great thinking.
All part of the Master Plan. Their scouts must have seen something they like in the Juniors and need to move a bit higher in the draft.

In truth though we can expect Harti to come up, add some energy, make some big hits, and take a few stupid penalties,
while Petrell goes down and wastes his talents.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:07 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 590
Sighhh .... Classic Oilers management, where one good move deserve a bad one. While I'm glad to see Harski up, demoting Petrell is such a pointless move. A guy who's done everything the coach has asked of him gets demoted? What the hell for? Harski's not a 4th line player. Is he going to suddenly turn Lander into an offensive dynamo? Cuz he sure as hell isn't going to play better defense than Lennu.

This club ...

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:09 AM
MoneyGuy

Bad move.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:13 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Detroit hasn't developed a noteworthy player since Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Kronwall. You're severely over-rating their system.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:20 AM
jadeddog

yeah i don't get this one either.... hartikainen wasn't exactly ripping up the AHL, and has just come back from injury.... petrell has done everything they have asked of him and been one of our more reliable bottom-6 players all season... hartikainen was also playing big minutes down in OKC, which is important for young players.... sending lander down would have made more sense (as many others have mentioned)... lander still doesn't have to go through waivers next year though, so we could still see him in the minors in 2012-13..... that being said, it would have made a LOT more sense to have him in OKC this year, playing big minutes in all situations

very strange move, very strange indeed

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:37 AM
ales83fan

Meh, it was a winger for a winger. Petrell has been good though, so this is a confusing move. Loved Harti though.

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:39 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

This is a confusing decision. I guess that describes a lot of Renney's recent ones, though. I'm glad to see Teemu and everything but Lander should have been sent down.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote