HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Winter Classic New Start Time 3 pm

Old
01-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
I don't disagree with your logic about protecting the game, but, they moved the Alumni game a couple of days ago for the same reason--why not simply announce the change then instead of waiting until the day before? Many people have very tight schedules and have gone out of their way to spend a lot of money to attend the game. It's not professional to wait until the last minute.
Maybe because the decision wasn't made until now?

The game involves a sheet of ice that has to be maintained to a certain quality on an outdoor rink. Delays to the game are a foreseeable event. Baseball games get rain delayed or canceled, and sometimes while there's already a full stadium!

If I were traveling a long distance to go to the game I would probably want to spend the night tomorrow. Especially since I'd be drinking at the game, I don't want to have to worry about rushing back home after the game.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
Maybe because the decision wasn't made until now?

The game involves a sheet of ice that has to be maintained to a certain quality on an outdoor rink. Delays to the game are a foreseeable event. Baseball games get rain delayed or canceled, and sometimes while there's already a full stadium!

If I were traveling a long distance to go to the game I would probably want to spend the night tomorrow. Especially since I'd be drinking at the game, I don't want to have to worry about rushing back home after the game.
They are switching it for the same reason (they claim) the Alumni game was switched--because the potential for glare from the sun blinding players at 1pm. I guess the powers that be weren't smart enough to realize that the potential for glare on Jan 1st isn't any different than on Dec 31st. It's completely different year after all.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
They are switching it for the same reason (they claim) the Alumni game was switched--because the potential for glare from the sun blinding players at 1pm. I guess the powers that be weren't smart enough to realize that the potential for glare on Jan 1st isn't any different than on Dec 31st. It's completely different year after all.
Oh, ok, well, then that's just the NHL dropping the ball, as usual.

Last year's game didn't start on time either, then the alumni game didn't start on time.. No surprise tomorrow's game is delayed.

But still, for an event like this it's a bad idea to have a tight schedule around it.

Old
01-01-2012, 10:53 PM
UDnyr92

so happy they moved this game back until 3.... moving back into my dorm tmw but it doesn't open until 2, so now I'll be able to settle back in and then watch the game. Can't wait! LGR

UDnyr92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDnyr92 View Post
so happy they moved this game back until 3.... moving back into my dorm tmw but it doesn't open until 2, so now I'll be able to settle back in and then watch the game. Can't wait! LGR
I'm happy about it too. I usually don't wake up until 1 - 2PM (yeah.. I'm really lazy lol), so now I'll get to watch the whole game

Old
01-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
Oh, ok, well, then that's just the NHL dropping the ball, as usual.

Last year's game didn't start on time either, then the alumni game didn't start on time.. No surprise tomorrow's game is delayed.

But still, for an event like this it's a bad idea to have a tight schedule around it.
Ya know what? We live in a tight world, where fans (who "contribute" something like 90% of the revenue hockey receives) have tight schedules. I realize weather is not predictable, but when the league realizes there's a problem, but waits several days before announcing the change, I think it's completely bush league.

Old
01-02-2012, 12:30 AM
Ranger109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Absolutely agree. Its more "magical" for the players too to be out there in the crisp evening air. Only thing is the lights are usually more glaring than the sun. Should really only be an issue in the third period though.

Even more excited for this game now. Also, for the record, I'm very confident about this game. I think we're going to rip bobrovsky a new one. I'm sure Jagr and Giroux will be great, but we've gotta take advantage of philly's defense and goaltending issues.

Also, gotta say the rangers winter classic jerseys have really grown on me. They look great on the players with all their gear on. (just saw some pre-practice pictures)
HOLY HELL I agree with this

Ranger109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:50 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Well, at least it's not gonna be in the mid-40's and rainy like it was forcasted a little over a week ago.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 03:01 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Ya know what? We live in a tight world, where fans (who "contribute" something like 90% of the revenue hockey receives) have tight schedules. I realize weather is not predictable, but when the league realizes there's a problem, but waits several days before announcing the change, I think it's completely bush league.
The NHL is pretty bush league... unfortunately

Old
01-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Think the "powers that be" might have been waiting for a more acurate forecast for today? They probably would be getting reamed right now by the same people, had they moved it to 3pm after the alumni game was moved and it was cloudy.

Bottom line: It's an outdoor game, weather will be a factor, the integrity of the game depends on that ice. The "powers that be" are going to ENSURE that integrity and couldn't care less about the travel plans of some of the fans. End of story.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Think the "powers that be" might have been waiting for a more acurate forecast for today? They probably would be getting reamed right now by the same people, had they moved it to 3pm after the alumni game was moved and it was cloudy.

Bottom line: It's an outdoor game, weather will be a factor, the integrity of the game depends on that ice. The "powers that be" are going to ENSURE that integrity and couldn't care less about the travel plans of some of the fans. End of story.
I haven't looked, but I'm willing to bet that the time the sun rises and sets is nearly identical on Dec 31st and Jan 2nd. Seems like the glare from the sun on the ice at 1pm vs 3pm would be pretty similar both days, don't ya think?

It wasn't the weather that changed the time.