HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Hockey Wilderness's Shanahan Roundup (UPDATE: Shanahan responds, post #36)

Old
12-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 500
I had kind of even forgotten about the whole "EJ attempts to seperate Cullen's head from his body" incident. Can't believe how ridiculously down-played that was too, just because EJ missed.

At this point, I'm not sure even Gregory Campbell could help our chances with the Department of "Player Safety". It's just depressing.

Engebretson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Okay, how about this.

Per team, you have a suspension limit. If you exceed 20 games, you lose a 5th round pick. 30 games, 4th round. 40 games, 3rd round. Etc.

Combine that with 10+ game penalties and it will go away immediately.

NFL minimum suspension = 1 game, 6.25% of the season
NHL minimum suspension = 1 game, 1.22% of the season

They need a 5 game minimum suspension to have any teeth at all.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:41 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Okay, how about this.

Per team, you have a suspension limit. If you exceed 20 games, you lose a 5th round pick. 30 games, 4th round. 40 games, 3rd round. Etc.

Combine that with 10+ game penalties and it will go away immediately.

NFL minimum suspension = 1 game, 6.25% of the season
NHL minimum suspension = 1 game, 1.22% of the season

They need a 5 game minimum suspension to have any teeth at all.
That's something I could get on board with, but I can see some flaws in it still (not to imply my suggestion is anywhere near flawless).

#1 - Players union probably doesn't like the idea of fewer players being drafted. Forfeiting draft picks is likely a touchy subject.

#2 - Affects the GM directly, but coach indirectly. The coach is likely the person with the most influence over player conduct, but "draft picks" to him don't likely mean anything beyond "something my boss has to worry about."

#3 - I thought I had a #3 but apparently I forgot before getting to it

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
That's something I could get on board with, but I can see some flaws in it still (not to imply my suggestion is anywhere near flawless).

#1 - Players union probably doesn't like the idea of fewer players being drafted. Forfeiting draft picks is likely a touchy subject.

#2 - Affects the GM directly, but coach indirectly. The coach is likely the person with the most influence over player conduct, but "draft picks" to him don't likely mean anything beyond "something my boss has to worry about."

#3 - I thought I had a #3 but apparently I forgot before getting to it
Solution to Problem #1: The forfeited draft picks could go into a lottery, where all other teams who didn't have a suspension that season would have equal odds at getting.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:54 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Solution to Problem #1: The forfeited draft picks could go into a lottery, where all other teams who didn't have a suspension that season would have equal odds at getting.
That or something similar would probably ease the PA's concerns.

Old
12-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Avder
Is only game.

vCash: 50
Lottery for forfeited draft pics sounds like a good idea to me.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:47 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Hell, instead of a lottery, distribute them to the team which "drew" the most suspensions. (i.e., if Ovi is suspended for boarding Crosby, then the Pens move up on the list of teams to receive picks.)

Though, honestly, I think that just issuing lengthy (or, hell, any) suspensions for the blatant violations we've seen all season would do a ton.

I think the problem of teams being able to slot in a replacement fourth liner is very easily solved if you just don't let them fill the roster slot. I bet losing a slot on the roster for a few weeks is enough incentive for teams to think twice about running a key player.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:08 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Hell, instead of a lottery, distribute them to the team which "drew" the most suspensions. (i.e., if Ovi is suspended for boarding Crosby, then the Pens move up on the list of teams to receive picks.)

Though, honestly, I think that just issuing lengthy (or, hell, any) suspensions for the blatant violations we've seen all season would do a ton.

I think the problem of teams being able to slot in a replacement fourth liner is very easily solved if you just don't let them fill the roster slot. I bet losing a slot on the roster for a few weeks is enough incentive for teams to think twice about running a key player.
They already lose a roster spot but it has no effect. Now if you mean they lose a dressed roster spot, that might have a little more effect, but that's the sort of thing the PA would get upset about (fewer games played = lower salary for those players).

Old
12-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Happy Holidays from Brendan Shannahan. I got so pissed when Greenlay mentioned this over the air tonight, so I went back and transcribed it during the first intermission and posted this to the Nashie GDT and Mainboard thread on the McLeod hit:

Tonight during the first period of the Wild's game at Nashville, FS North Color Commentator Mike Greenlay relayed some information that he had received from the Star Tribune's Mike Russo regarding what Brendan Shannahan had to say about the McLeod hit on Spurgeon. Word for word, Mike Greenlay said, on the air:

-------
...but Jared Spurgeon who is currently out was hit the other game by McLeod and according to Brendan Shannahan, he said that Spurgeon stepped in front of McLeod, McLeod had his hand on his back to give him a bit of a warning that he was going to be there, but Spurgeon put on the brakes and was basically a bigger man running into another man and that's why nothing was called on that as well. And that information coming via Mike Russo of the Star Tribune who will write about it tomorrow...
-------

Left out of quote tags to facilitate easier quoting by others. Any mis-spellings are mine.

Old
12-28-2011, 08:19 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
They already lose a roster spot but it has no effect. Now if you mean they lose a dressed roster spot, that might have a little more effect, but that's the sort of thing the PA would get upset about (fewer games played = lower salary for those players).
I do, in fact, mean a dressed roster spot. The PA would probably get upset... but I have to imagine they're also getting upset about their members getting so many concussions.

Old
12-31-2011, 05:19 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Shanahan explains three Wild-related non-suspension decisions

Shanahan on his general process, and the lack of an anti-Wild conspiracy

Still can't say I particularly agree with any of his specific decisions, but I can appreciate the process he describes, and the desire not to make a knee-jerk suspension just because it's a hit against the Wild. Nice to hear the specific reasoning he had behind each non-call, too. I do wish he would've talked about "the Butcher's" suspension and the incongruity between that call and these hits, though.

Old
12-31-2011, 05:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Absolute load of crap. Any other sport this would be unacceptable. NHL discipline is a joke.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 06:32 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

**** Brendan Shanahan. God damn.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 07:39 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Shanny doesnt know ****. Who the hell can react to a hand on the back 300ms before a big hit? What the hell is he smoking, seriously?

Old
12-31-2011, 07:41 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

I just want to know what happened to the "onus on the hitter" mentality from the beginning of the season.

Old
12-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
I just want to know what happened to the "onus on the hitter" mentality from the beginning of the season.
Its pretty much changed into a "blame the hittee" mentality.

Old
01-01-2012, 01:55 AM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Its pretty much changed into a "blame the hittee" mentality.
Exactly. It hasn't taught players to stop the dangerous hits because they don't get punished for them anymore. They injure the opposing player and it's their fault. It has encouraged players to hit like this more often and more aggressively.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Not really Wild or NHL or Shannahan related, but when I read this article about a prep student who was recently paralyzed by a check from behind into the boards it made me think about all these bad hits.

In this case it was accidental. All the hits that we've dealt with that have gone unpenalized have been pretty much 100% intentional.

And if **** like these hits keeps going, stuff like whats happened to this poor kid is whats gonna start happening to NHL players.

Someone should find a way to bring this article to Shannahan's attention.

He needs to get his mind out of this "blame the hittee" funk its in and start punishing the players throwing the bad hits.

Old
01-02-2012, 06:15 AM
Spawnisen
Believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Not really Wild or NHL or Shannahan related, but when I read this article about a prep student who was recently paralyzed by a check from behind into the boards it made me think about all these bad hits.

In this case it was accidental. All the hits that we've dealt with that have gone unpenalized have been pretty much 100% intentional.

And if **** like these hits keeps going, stuff like whats happened to this poor kid is whats gonna start happening to NHL players.

Someone should find a way to bring this article to Shannahan's attention.

He needs to get his mind out of this "blame the hittee" funk its in and start punishing the players throwing the bad hits.
No no no. You've gotten it all wrong, we have to wait until someone gets paralyzed or killed in the NHL; preferably a Wild player for Shanny to change, again. Ffs.

Spawnisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Sing along to the tune, if you want. I will most likely get banned for this, but... yeah. Had to get the steam off somehow.

Original: Lemon Demon - eBaum's World Dot Com

Once upon a time
On the NHL there was a guy
He's very much an insane man
His name was Brendan Shanahan
He hated the Minnesota Wild
And nobody knows why

He called all around
****ed up every single suspension
From PMB to Spurgeon
With his group of minions
Very awful decisions
Brendan Shanahan

It wasn't fair to those of whom were hit
But did he care? No, not one bit
And then he dares to say
That Bouchard's to blame
What a pile of ****
Oh, Brendan!

He's just Gary Bettman's ****
Dirty hits and fights have made him rich
He bribed up the referees
Turned his back on injuries
His so-called safety strategies
Made Wild roster his *****

'Till Mike Yeo came along
Punched him in the face and ate his lunch
And GM Chuck was satisfied
Had Shanny fired in week's time
Well, sadly that's a lie and Shanny is still screwing us

But if we all cross hands and say our prayers
Then our call will reach Boogie
And maybe he comes down
And fights that clown
And we shall have revenge

Ooh, Shanny Boy
Is going down
We're gonna fly up to the New York town
And tell Gary Bettman
A thing or two
'Bout how Shanahan is just not cool
So right now we're making that our mission
And 'cause the ****er just won't listen
We'll get sick of being nice
And bury him under the ice.

Last edited by Puhis: 01-02-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:28 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawnisen View Post
No no no. You've gotten it all wrong, we have to wait until someone gets paralyzed or killed in the NHL; preferably a Wild player for Shanny to change, again. Ffs.
You'd think, say, Latendresse's career being in jeopardy would be close enough. Reading that Russo article about him made me feel awful for the guy, but also really aggravated. If they had actually cracked down on dirty, concussion-prone hits like they said they would, he may well still have ended up with a job with the Wild after the season.