HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Rundblad talk

Old
12-23-2011, 03:19 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
BTW, Rundbad has a standard ELC. The guy before who said he has some type of out-clause if sent to the AHL is certainly confused.
The NHL/SEL transfer agreement permits players under the age of 22 to return to their Swedish teams if they don't make the NHL roster. However that clause only applies to players that weren't drafted in the 1st round.

Possible source of confusion.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:05 PM
Cat Herder
Formerly BigSensFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
The NHL/SEL transfer agreement permits players under the age of 22 to return to their Swedish teams if they don't make the NHL roster. However that clause only applies to players that weren't drafted in the 1st round.

Possible source of confusion.
Both Rundblad and Murray (Ottawa GM) acknowledged that Rundblad had the choice in his contract whether to play this year in AHL or SEL

Cat Herder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Cat Herder
Formerly BigSensFan

http://www.silversevensens.com/2011/...turn-to-sweden

That Blog mentions the out clause for DR

this one too

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pb...ItemsPerPage=5

Cat Herder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:11 AM
Rediscoveryx

I don't think it matters whether he's got a SEL-clause or not as the chances of him chosing to play in the SEL over the AHL are roughly 0,05%. His mind is set on breaking into the NHL and he's got absolutely nothing left to prove in the SEL. The only reason for chosing SEL over AHL would be in a situation where he believes that the NHL-dream is over - which is atleast a full year in the AHL away...

Rediscoveryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 07:39 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rediscoveryx View Post
I don't think it matters whether he's got a SEL-clause or not as the chances of him chosing to play in the SEL over the AHL are roughly 0,05%. His mind is set on breaking into the NHL and he's got absolutely nothing left to prove in the SEL. The only reason for chosing SEL over AHL would be in a situation where he believes that the NHL-dream is over - which is atleast a full year in the AHL away...
This.

The discussion of the techniqalities of his contract don't really matter at this point. They may matter if he stays down all season and half of next one without even seeing NHL time. But even then I don't think it is that simple. Look at Markstrom in Florida who has only played a handful of games (due to injuries of 1st/2nd keeper) since he came over last season. He will stay because he knows, as do everyone else, that Florida does see him as their future no 1. If the management here see Rundblad as a lock for the roster within a year or two, and communicate this to him together with what he needs to work on, then I think that he would be fine with staying down longer.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 07:42 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Happy holidays Yotes fans!

Sens fan here. Hope you are all enjoying the holidays, and you and yours are happy and healthy.

Just wondering, though its been only a few games since the Turris - Rundblad trade, if Rundblad is playing for you guys, and if so, how is he playing and who is he being paired with? As for Turris, he has played pretty well, scoring one assist in each of his 3 games with us, centering the second line, playing much of the time with Foligno on his wing, and getting time on the PP and ES.

Cheers Yotes fans!

P.S. Haven't had time to read the whole thread, so apologies for not having the info contained within it (busy time of year LOL).

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 08:10 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
Happy holidays Yotes fans!

Sens fan here. Hope you are all enjoying the holidays, and you and yours are happy and healthy.

Just wondering, though its been only a few games since the Turris - Rundblad trade, if Rundblad is playing for you guys, and if so, how is he playing and who is he being paired with? As for Turris, he has played pretty well, scoring one assist in each of his 3 games with us, centering the second line, playing much of the time with Foligno on his wing, and getting time on the PP and ES.

Cheers Yotes fans!

P.S. Haven't had time to read the whole thread, so apologies for not having the info contained within it (busy time of year LOL).
He's played 1 of a possible 3 games with the team as they are working him in slowly while the organization gets a chance to assess his current abilities and give their defense coach Jim Playfair an opportunity to work with him. He was paired with OEL and this is likely a permanent pairing for possible the better part of the next decade.

I would say that all Coyote fans were impressed with the offensive instincts of Rundblad. He tried a spinorama move in particular that brought a number of us out of our seats. He shows a great first pass and garnered an assist on a great shot by COR. He was a -1 on the night though which is why the need to utilize the same sort of strategy that Phoenix used to bring along OEL and Yandle. Phoenix is very deep right now on the blueline as well which makes our corps a bit crowded at this point in time. I see a trade or two prior to the trade deadline.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 08:39 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
He's played 1 of a possible 3 games with the team as they are working him in slowly while the organization gets a chance to assess his current abilities and give their defense coach Jim Playfair an opportunity to work with him. He was paired with OEL and this is likely a permanent pairing for possible the better part of the next decade.

I would say that all Coyote fans were impressed with the offensive instincts of Rundblad. He tried a spinorama move in particular that brought a number of us out of our seats. He shows a great first pass and garnered an assist on a great shot by COR. He was a -1 on the night though which is why the need to utilize the same sort of strategy that Phoenix used to bring along OEL and Yandle. Phoenix is very deep right now on the blueline as well which makes our corps a bit crowded at this point in time. I see a trade or two prior to the trade deadline.
Thanks for the quick reply. That pretty much sounds exactly like what we saw of him in Ottawa. I think part of the reason he was deemed expendable was for the exact reason that you touched on, i.e. that we would have had way too much money on our defense in a few years had we kept him. Also, he never would have been higher than 3rd on our depth chart either, being that he would be behind Karlsson and Cowen at least. With OEL, Yandle, Gormley, and now Rundblad, I think you guys are facing that issue now. If one is traded, which one do you see ultimately going? I would think, as good as he is, maybe Yandle, to bring in some forward help?

Old
12-24-2011, 08:56 PM
hbk

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. That pretty much sounds exactly like what we saw of him in Ottawa. I think part of the reason he was deemed expendable was for the exact reason that you touched on, i.e. that we would have had way too much money on our defense in a few years had we kept him. Also, he never would have been higher than 3rd on our depth chart either, being that he would be behind Karlsson and Cowen at least. With OEL, Yandle, Gormley, and now Rundblad, I think you guys are facing that issue now. If one is traded, which one do you see ultimately going? I would think, as good as he is, maybe Yandle, to bring in some forward help?
Well there is a salary cap and to be honest Phoenix is going to have a hard time meeting the floor without Yandle's contract.

Also, Yandle is the one guy who is an impact player right now. He won't be dealt IMO. Maybe in 4-5 years but not anytime soon.

Maloney compared Rundblad to Zubov and was very specific about how his being a right shot fits in with this franchise. If the right deal comes around for a young impact Center comes along then maybe they look at moving either Rundblad or Gormely. Neither would come cheaply. I have Gormely ahead of Rundblad but the one game from Rundblad gave me pause for consideration. There is an offensive presence with Rundblad. I can understand why Maloney now compared him to Zubov. Again though... only 1 game. Hopefully many more to come.

Old
12-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

I'm completely fine with all 4 of Yandle, OEL, Rundblad and Gormley being on this team for the next 5 or more years.

Summers, Goncharov, Murphy, Stone, the d-man Maloney will likely take in the first round of the next draft, etc. can all be used to deal for forward or goaltending help.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 09:23 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Quote:
Well there is a salary cap and to be honest Phoenix is going to have a hard time meeting the floor without Yandle's contract.

Also, Yandle is the one guy who is an impact player right now. He won't be dealt IMO. Maybe in 4-5 years but not anytime soon.

Maloney compared Rundblad to Zubov and was very specific about how his being a right shot fits in with this franchise. If the right deal comes around for a young impact Center comes along then maybe they look at moving either Rundblad or Gormely. Neither would come cheaply. I have Gormely ahead of Rundblad but the one game from Rundblad gave me pause for consideration. There is an offensive presence with Rundblad. I can understand why Maloney now compared him to Zubov. Again though... only 1 game. Hopefully many more to come.
I can confirm that what you saw in that 1 game is what we saw for 20 or so (I think) games in Ottawa. Rundblad has unquestionable vision and offensive flair, the question with him is how he will adjust to the smaller ice, and how his defensive game will come around. But I'm a big believer that you can teach defense, but not vision, so I think you'll be happy with him for years to come.

Old
12-24-2011, 09:31 PM
hbk

Quote:
I can confirm that what you saw in that 1 game is what we saw for 20 or so (I think) games in Ottawa. Rundblad has unquestionable vision and offensive flair, the question with him is how he will adjust to the smaller ice, and how his defensive game will come around. But I'm a big believer that you can teach defense, but not vision, so I think you'll be happy with him for years to come.
I don't think he'll have an issue adjusting to the smaller ice. Just takes time.

If he is the next Zubov then Phoenix will be happy. Just as Sens fans will be doing high fives if Turris manages to be the next Joe Sakic.

Old
12-25-2011, 07:48 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Quote:
I don't think he'll have an issue adjusting to the smaller ice. Just takes time.

If he is the next Zubov then Phoenix will be happy. Just as Sens fans will be doing high fives if Turris manages to be the next Joe Sakic.
Seconded. Here's hoping this is a trade that pays huge dividends for both teams.

And Merry Christmas and happy holidays, Coyote fans!

Old
12-31-2011, 11:18 AM
PTmbp13

Quote:
Nobody has worn 7 since Tkachuk left. It is slated for retirement at some point.
Thchuk' s jersey to rafter? Wow! Was he that long i Phx?

Hope they trade Rundblad to a good team

PTmbp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:27 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeskog Rocks View Post

I have to say the comment about the good team is rather insulting. I know Rundblad is not playing right now while they give Playfair a chance to work with him to improve his defensive zone coverage. He will play again and he'll be a more effective player in the long run.

As for Tkachuk, he played 10 years with the franchise. If memory serves me correct, Team management was absolutely ripped apart by the local media for taking a US high school player with their first round pick. A player who was basically an unknown and nobody really had on their radar screen as a possible selection by Winnipeg.

Last edited by hbk: 12-31-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old
12-31-2011, 12:09 PM
doaner

Quote:

Stay classy!

doaner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Magnifique

Quote:

I wish Rundblad was good enough to make it into our roster. I wish that your spelling didn't hurt my brain. We all wish for things.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 02:39 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:

And where did Landeskog's team finish the last 3 seasons? Oh that's right. Below us. Poor guy, if only he was on a good team.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 04:12 PM
zerekstar

Quote:
I have to say the comment about the good team is rather insulting. I know Rundblad is not playing right now while they give Playfair a chance to work with him to improve his defensive zone coverage. He will play again and he'll be a more effective player in the long run.

As for Tkachuk, he played 10 years with the franchise. If memory serves me correct, Team management was absolutely ripped apart by the local media for taking a US high school player with their first round pick. A player who was basically an unknown and nobody really had on their radar screen as a possible selection by Winnipeg.
Yea I remember being disappointed myself when they picked the unknown pick for the first round but he quickly proved they were right. Man I wished we had the scouting team of those years. I can't believe how much high-end talent they landed in just a couple years!

zerekstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Harks

Why isn't David in Portland tearing shiitz up?
Can't understand why they still have him up when he's not playing. Let him play in the A
's year out and when injuries accure call him up. Sat a month in Ottawa doing squat and can't be good for him not playing.

Harks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:42 PM
zz

I'm starting to think Rundblad is pulling a Tikhonov and told Maloney he wouldn't report in Portland and would go back to Sweden if demoted.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:51 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harks View Post
Why isn't David in Portland tearing shiitz up?
Can't understand why they still have him up when he's not playing. Let him play in the A
's year out and when injuries accure call him up. Sat a month in Ottawa doing squat and can't be good for him not playing.
Patience.

The past two weeks has allowed some significant time to be spent with Rundblad and our defense coach Playfair. Playfair will help with Rundblad's defensive zone coverage and make him a more effective player in his own end. One that the franchise is comfortable playing on a daily basis in all situations.

Old
01-02-2012, 12:59 PM
SweYote

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
I'm starting to think Rundblad is pulling a Tikhonov and told Maloney he wouldn't report in Portland and would go back to Sweden if demoted.
He has to know there's no point in that. He would probably be the best player in the league in Sweden but what he needs to learn is the NA game so a move like that would be a very bad one for his career. He needs to go to the AHL now.

SweYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 01:27 PM
RafaNadal

Quote:
That is not true and have never been. The guy is not stupid.

According to Maloney, http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=609346

- "“With the puck, David is a real talent while his play without the puck must improve,” Maloney told me. “We hope to get him some regular ice time soon. If not, we will send him to the American Hockey League for some seasoning.”

RafaNadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 02:13 PM
PTmbp13

Quote:
Cant blame a player like Rundblad for escaping AHL fate. I would.

Hopefully he will...

PTmbp13 is offline   Reply With Quote