HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

@ Ottawa Game Thread, 12/15

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-15-2005, 08:35 PM
  #26
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 46,864
vCash: 1495
Yes Yes Yes Ye Syes Yes!! Finallyyyyyyyyy!! We Did It!! They Scoreeeeee!!! 2 Goal Leaddddddd!!!!

Stars99Lobo37 is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 08:52 PM
  #27
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 46,864
vCash: 1495
YESSSSS!! This is exactly what we needed! We did everything right and we've shut out the best team in the NHL!! WHOOOOO!!

Your Final Score!

Your Dallas Stars: 2
The Ottawa Senators: 0

Stars99Lobo37 is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 09:02 PM
  #28
Walzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: somewhere in Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,307
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
wooohooo, Turco with a shutout against the Sens
time ti make the banana-dance


Walzy is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 09:24 PM
  #29
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 46,864
vCash: 1495
Dallas is now 64-5-5 in the past three seasons when leading after 1 and 12-0-0 this season.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 10:22 PM
  #30
Dr GLU
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern Hemisphere
Country: Liechtenstein
Posts: 2,551
vCash: 500
I really think this was a lucky win. The refs were awful. Both goals were flukes.

I will grant that the Stars D was very good limiting chance to an explosive team and that Turco was very good tonight, but I wouldn't have like the Stars chances in OT with all the open ice if those goals hadn't gone in.

Dr GLU is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 10:36 PM
  #31
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 46,864
vCash: 1495
Fluke or not, Dallas still has the 2 points to show for it. I rather have a fluke win with two fluke goals than no win at all.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 10:40 PM
  #32
Dr GLU
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern Hemisphere
Country: Liechtenstein
Posts: 2,551
vCash: 500
I know. I would, too, but I don't think they were the better team tonight. Still in team sports, the better team doesn't always win.

Dr GLU is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 10:45 PM
  #33
The Frugal Gourmet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 2,529
vCash: 500
I personally think the Senators seemed both faster and tougher than the Stars, but a little devil's advocate here please.

1) The Senator's offense SUCKED. They couldn't have hit the broad side of the barn. Consider that the Stars actually outshot them tonight... mainly because wide open Senators insisted on rifling the puck wide just about every time. Let's not give them too much credit. They got shutout for a reason. It was well deserved.

2) I don't see how you possibly think giving the Stars power play attempts is helping the Stars. I mean, seriously. The Senators offense at times was better shorthanded. In fact, the Senators best two chances in the entire game probably came off an extremely weak call in THEIR favor. That would've been a major gyp.

3) Fluke goals? You put a bunch of guys in front of their net, and then shoot the puck there. It bounces off someone and you might score. That's just how the game is played, IMO. Happens just about every other game where one of those is important.

4) The Senators beat the Stars in overtime? Who cares? 4 on 4 OT isn't even real hockey. It's just a little contrivation for the fans.

The Stars may not be as good a hockey team as the Senators, but I don't think the Senators were "better" tonight. They were faster. They were bigger. But they weren't better.

The Frugal Gourmet is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 10:54 PM
  #34
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet
Consider that the Stars actually outshot them tonight... mainly because wide open Senators insisted on rifling the puck wide just about every time. Let's not give them too much credit. They got shutout for a reason. It was well deserved.
Part of being outshot no doubt also had to do with Dallas' 9 powerplays to Ottawa's 3, including a 5 on 3 and a 4 minute PP in the 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet
I don't see how you possibly think giving the Stars power play attempts is helping the Stars. I mean, seriously. The Senators offense at times was better shorthanded.
Ottawa has/had scored the most shorthanded goals in the league. That being said, being shorthanded for large portions of the game does tire out your penalty killers, which often includes some of your better players, particularly defencemen.

Considering that Dallas scored 1 PP goal, with the other either a PP goal or shortly after Smolinski's penalty expired, I don't think the Stars minded the opportunities at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet
Fluke goals? You put a bunch of guys in front of their net, and then shoot the puck there. It bounces off someone and you might score. That's just how the game is played, IMO. Happens just about every other game where one of those is important.
What's funny is that Ottawa was doing a lot of that as well, but it didn't work out. Dallas and Ottawa did have some good other chances, but both goalies stood up well, and at times Ottawa was just missing the damned net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet
The Stars may not be as good a hockey team as the Senators, but I don't think the Senators were "better" tonight. They were faster. They were bigger. But they weren't better.
The better team is the one that wins. I knew Dallas would try and tighten things up if they scored first, and they did.

It was, however, an entertaining hockey game despite the score. Too bad we don't play again.

NyQuil is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 10:58 PM
  #35
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 46,864
vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet
2) I don't see how you possibly think giving the Stars power play attempts is helping the Stars. I mean, seriously. The Senators offense at times was better shorthanded. In fact, the Senators best two chances in the entire game probably came off an extremely weak call in THEIR favor. That would've been a major gyp.
Totally agree. Our powerplay has GOT to shape up. I don't care what the other announcers or fans think of our powerplay. Appearently a lot think that we have a good powerplay...Well we don't.

How we scored in 18 straight and 19 of our past 20 games I do not know..but we're lucky enought get that going. Something needs to happen on our powerplay, especially when you go 1 for 10 on the night. Ottawa gave us tons of chances to put this game away but we couldn't capitalize cause of our horrible powerplay.

Dallas won for a reason and we got two points for it. I'll take it no matter what. 20 wins, 8 losses, and 1 overtime loss.

Edit: Once again though, time and time again we complain about our 5 on 3's...Two chances tonight and we got 0 on the 5 on 3's. Granted we did scored on the one of the 5 on 4's, after the 5 on 3 ended, but we still didn't score on the 5 vs 3.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 10:58 PM
  #36
The Frugal Gourmet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 2,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
Part of being outshot no doubt also had to do with Dallas' 9 powerplays to Ottawa's 3, including a 5 on 3 and a 4 minute PP in the 3rd.
I'm not sure Dallas had more than 2 shots during the two instances you're talking about here. Dallas's power play sucks.

But, yeah, I agree about "tiring out" the penalty killers.

The Frugal Gourmet is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 11:21 PM
  #37
swiftwin
#lalala
 
swiftwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Fluke goals? You put a bunch of guys in front of their net, and then shoot the puck there. It bounces off someone and you might score. That's just how the game is played, IMO. Happens just about every other game where one of those is important.
Well, technically, the second goal wasnt a shot on goal.

It was actually a dump-in along the boards that hit a broken stick lying on the ice behind the net, which then hit a player's skate and went it.

swiftwin is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 11:22 PM
  #38
Dr GLU
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern Hemisphere
Country: Liechtenstein
Posts: 2,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet
1) The Senator's offense SUCKED. They couldn't have hit the broad side of the barn. Consider that the Stars actually outshot them tonight... mainly because wide open Senators insisted on rifling the puck wide just about every time. Let's not give them too much credit. They got shutout for a reason. It was well deserved.
The Sens also outchanced the Stars by a large margin in my book. I take chances far more seriously than shots. Yes, the Sens missed the net a lot, but how is that any different than the several games where the Stars were majorly outchancing the opponents but missed 20 someodd shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet
2) I don't see how you possibly think giving the Stars power play attempts is helping the Stars. I mean, seriously. The Senators offense at times was better shorthanded. In fact, the Senators best two chances in the entire game probably came off an extremely weak call in THEIR favor. That would've been a major gyp.
It may not be helping them extend the lead, but they haven't been giving up SHGs either. 1/3 of the game on the PP about equals 1/3 of the game where you keep the Sens best line off the ice and aren't likely to give up a goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet
3) Fluke goals? You put a bunch of guys in front of their net, and then shoot the puck there. It bounces off someone and you might score. That's just how the game is played, IMO. Happens just about every other game where one of those is important.
That still doesn't make them any less of flukes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet
The Stars may not be as good a hockey team as the Senators, but I don't think the Senators were "better" tonight. They were faster. They were bigger. But they weren't better.
I disagree. The Stars were outchanced and spent 1/3 of the game in a situation where they were unlikely to give up (and score) goals. That to me points to the Sens as the better team that lost a tough game.

Dr GLU is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 11:34 PM
  #39
The Frugal Gourmet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 2,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU
I disagree. The Stars were outchanced and spent 1/3 of the game in a situation where they were unlikely to give up (and score) goals. That to me points to the Sens as the better team that lost a tough game.
I say it demonstrates nothing of the sort. It's sort of like the logic that because the Stars got off a ton of shots and chances in the 3rd period last night that the Sabres were lucky to procure the win. The *reason* the Stars got those chances is because the Sabres were backing up playing their "prevent" defense. The ball was in the Stars' court, essentially, and it was the Stars turns to score with it... which they didn't... so the Stars lost the game. There's nothing whatsoever to indicate that the Sabres would not have still won had the Stars tied it, because the entire complexion of the game would've changed at that point.

Same thing tonight. The Stars were playing an extremely passive game. They probably trapped or at least locked for half the 3rd period. Ever notice it's extremely rare are in NHL hockey when a "good" team is trailing another that the trailing "good" team doesn't get way more scoring chances? It always seems to work that way. If the Stars are trailing in this game, I guarantee their number of scoring chances goes up. So, spot the Senators two goals. Do they win? I don't know. But, I think your assertion that the Stars were just lucky is a bit overblown. The Senators had the ball, they couldn't score with it, game over.

No doubt the Stars were lucky. Extremely lucky. But the Senators weren't "better". They didn't actually do anything whatsoever to prove it when it was their turn to do so.

The Frugal Gourmet is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 11:35 PM
  #40
The Frugal Gourmet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 2,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwin
Well, technically, the second goal wasnt a shot on goal.

It was actually a dump-in along the boards that hit a broken stick lying on the ice behind the net, which then hit a player's skate and went it.
Ok, you're right. That was hella-lucky.

The Frugal Gourmet is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 11:43 PM
  #41
Dr GLU
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern Hemisphere
Country: Liechtenstein
Posts: 2,551
vCash: 500
Just give it up with the essays, you know I'm right. You're just arguing to argue.

Dr GLU is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 11:44 PM
  #42
The Frugal Gourmet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 2,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU
Just give it up with the essays, you know I'm right. You're just arguing to argue.
Ok, maybe a little. I just wanted to play devil's advocate a bit.

The Frugal Gourmet is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 11:46 PM
  #43
Dr GLU
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern Hemisphere
Country: Liechtenstein
Posts: 2,551
vCash: 500
Whenever you want to again, just remember who pumped up Jokinen and Miettinen to begin with.

But just forget who pumped up Tereschenko and Chernov.

Dr GLU is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 11:49 PM
  #44
The Frugal Gourmet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 2,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU
Whenever you want to again, just remember who pumped up Jokinen and Miettinen to begin with.

But just forget who pumped up Tereschenko and Chernov.
Got it!

The Frugal Gourmet is offline  
Old
12-16-2005, 06:38 AM
  #45
morrow1005
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Coming to re-claim t
Posts: 517
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to morrow1005 Send a message via Yahoo to morrow1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruutu15
How many times do I have to hear
"(Insert Dallas Player here) passes it to Guerin,
Rolls off his stick/
He Can't Control it/
He doesn't see it"

It's getting a bit old.

SOunding like Modano of '03

morrow1005 is offline  
Old
12-16-2005, 09:59 AM
  #46
The King of Town
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Free Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,342
vCash: 500
Good game guys, I was impressed (or depressed, since I was at the game) with the Stars' team defense. Sometimes it seemed like the refs were letting the Stars get away with stuff that the Sens were called on, but that's not why the Sens lost the game. At least it's not the only reason. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Stars deserved the win.

I was a bit skeptical of a D that has Robidas in its top-4, but they did a great job of keeping the Sens mostly to the perimeter last night.

Turco is great at handling the puck, though I do believe that once he starts hitting the blue line and attempting to stick handle around forechecking Senators he should be fair game...

Quality discussions going on in here too...

The King of Town is offline  
Old
12-16-2005, 10:57 AM
  #47
Ajacied
Remember #9
 
Ajacied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 23,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven
I was a bit skeptical of a D that has Robidas in its top-4, but they did a great job of keeping the Sens mostly to the perimeter last night.
While I agree the Stars defense isn't anything to write home about individually (certainly not without Boucher), it is a very strong and collective group all together. They play diciplined and organised, add the defensively comitted forwards and you have a tight, defensive squad.

It's pretty much the same squad that surrendered the fewest goals in the West in 2003/2004, nor that team had an outstanding defense.

As for Robidas, he's been amazing for us the entire season. He is a quality skater, is not a liability in his own end, works hard and has decent offensive skills, not to mention he's also second on the Stars in hits while being only like 5'10.. A top four defenseman he is not, but he's probably one of the next best options.

Ajacied is offline  
Old
12-16-2005, 11:30 AM
  #48
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,855
vCash: 500
Dallas definitely had one of the most mobile defences we've played against.

Skoula impressed me in particular.

NyQuil is offline  
Old
12-16-2005, 11:34 AM
  #49
SensGod
Registered User
 
SensGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Scotia Bank Place
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,430
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil

Skoula impressed me in particular.
it's the "Puck Poise" dude...the "Puck Poise".

SensGod is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.