HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Management thread 3.0 (All GM/Coaching discussion here)

Old
01-01-2012, 11:20 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
OK. I can play your game as well.

Do you know Claude Loiselle personally? What about Gauthier? Get a Christmas card from him?

What is Loiselle doing tomorrow? Do you have his schedule? What are he and Burke talking about with regard to the trade deadline?

You know just as much as I do and if you want to know more, you read and learn.

I could have simply recited everything that I know about Loiselle from watching him play the game. I really cant tell you much about his day to day activities with the Leafs since they wont let me in their offices. He hasnt told me what his plans are either, whether its about his career or his scouts or his team or anything else.

So, I read about him and yes, I knew that he was not afraid to drop the gloves and he is helping to rebuild the Leafs into a more competitive team than what the Habs have to look forward to in the near future.

And finally, he is the exact opposite of Pierre Gauthier. That's good enough for me since the Habs arent doing so well now.

Thanks for your reply as well.

PS. If you have Loiselle's phone number and can get me into the Leafs office, let me know via PM. I want to talk with him.
considering all the quotes you pasted were related to his playing days, it would have been more or less the same...

reality is, the ONLY thing you know about Loiselle is that he's in the Leafs org... nothing more.

same when you say he's the opposite of PG, the ONLY reason you say that is because of the kind of PLAYER he was...

then by your logic, Brashear sure was a tough player... so...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:29 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
considering all the quotes you pasted were related to his playing days, it would have been more or less the same...

reality is, the ONLY thing you know about Loiselle is that he's in the Leafs org... nothing more.

same when you say he's the opposite of PG, the ONLY reason you say that is because of the kind of PLAYER he was...

then by your logic, Brashear sure was a tough player... so...

Thanks for your reply.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:23 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.
no problem, showing you know nothing about the guy was actually easy.

Old
01-02-2012, 12:33 AM
Avim86

Quote:
OK. I can play your game as well.

Do you know Claude Loiselle personally? What about Gauthier? Get a Christmas card from him?

What is Loiselle doing tomorrow? Do you have his schedule? What are he and Burke talking about with regard to the trade deadline?

You know just as much as I do and if you want to know more, you read and learn.

I could have simply recited everything that I know about Loiselle from watching him play the game. I really cant tell you much about his day to day activities with the Leafs since they wont let me in their offices. He hasnt told me what his plans are either, whether its about his career or his scouts or his team or anything else.

So, I read about him and yes, I knew that he was not afraid to drop the gloves and he is helping to rebuild the Leafs into a more competitive team than what the Habs have to look forward to in the near future.

And finally, he is the exact opposite of Pierre Gauthier. That's good enough for me since the Habs arent doing so well now.

Thanks for your reply as well.

PS. If you have Loiselle's phone number and can get me into the Leafs office, let me know via PM. I want to talk with him.
I'm not playing a game , what is there not to understand appointing a player who had a marginal NHL career and has little management experience as our next GM would be insane , we need someone with a proven track record , yes those are hard to find especially with the Habs extra criteria (French) as most teams tend to hang on to winners.
However even elite players that have a proven track records in hockey management still hit crazy road bumps (see Tampa). Why do you think Florida is doing well all of a sudden after a drastic management change that brought in someone with experience and a proven track record. Explain why Winnipeg took over abismal garbage that was the Atlanta thrashers and made them a borderline playoff team less then 1 year later.
It's nice to have Queens/Knights/Bishops at your disposal but a real chess master knows that instant sucess is never a given and that anything that is good requires consistency and a practical approach to winning.

I'm done discussing this , there is no debate , all we have here is a discussion amongst candidates that are more or less not qualified and are only in the mix due to being french and possibly the polar opposite of Gauthier/Gainey.

In my opinion there are only a handful of candidates I would consider : Julien Brisebois/Patrick Roy are my favourites amongst the speculations and only as they seem as the up and comers in the NHL management game and I'm tired of getting players/staff that are on the decline.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 01:30 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK46Awesome View Post
I'm not playing a game , what is there not to understand appointing a player who had a marginal NHL career and has little management experience as our next GM would be insane , we need someone with a proven track record , yes those are hard to find especially with the Habs extra criteria (French) as most teams tend to hang on to winners.
However even elite players that have a proven track records in hockey management still hit crazy road bumps (see Tampa). Why do you think Florida is doing well all of a sudden after a drastic management change that brought in someone with experience and a proven track record. Explain why Winnipeg took over abismal garbage that was the Atlanta thrashers and made them a borderline playoff team less then 1 year later.
NHL standings at the end of play on Saturday, January 1, 2011

Eastern Conference
Teams ranked by points over .500 GP WOT LOT GF GA P
Pittsburgh Penguins +13 40 25 5 15 3 127 94 53
Philadelphia Flyers +13 38 23 2 15 5 128 102 51
Tampa Bay Lightning +12 39 23 7 16 5 121 122 51
Washington Capitals +11 40 23 6 17 5 120 106 51
Boston Bruins +9 37 20 2 17 6 108 84 46
New York Rangers +8 39 22 4 17 3 119 100 47
Atlanta Thrashers +5 41 20 7 21 6 127 122 46
Montreal Canadiens +5 39 21 2 18 2 97 92 44
Carolina Hurricanes +3 37 18 5 19 4 108 111 40
Florida Panthers -1 35 16 3 19 2 95 92 34
Buffalo Sabres -2 38 16 6 22 4 105 114 36
Ottawa Senators -3 40 16 0 24 5 90 121 37
Toronto Maple Leafs -5 37 14 3 23 4 89 111 32
New York Islanders -8 36 11 5 25 6 84 118 28
New Jersey Devils -16 38 10 4 28 2 68 122 22

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 02:02 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
What a joke. Have you seen Stevie Y's face? A road map of scars. They guy was ****ing tough, and one of the best players ever.
Nevermind what he did in the past. Stevie Y is the most soft-spoken guy you will ever meet.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 02:04 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions999 View Post
Savard was a good GM maid some decent moves but he is not aggressive he is in the same nature of Gainey. When we needed something done didn't always go get it done.
He'd be better as an adviser.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:59 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
I agree with what he said , I don't see trolling , I strongly believe 99% of the people here check stats and talk up there A** as if they know anything more then the average joe. Hfboards is known for low iq sheep that like to repeat popular opinion or find a way to justify a terrible hockey decision with irrelevant statistics , how about you actually rebuttal the statement rather then acting "offended".
It does not matter if he's right. There's a way to conduct yourself. You lose credibility when every post is filled with condescending quips. Have some respect.

HFboards is known for low IQ sheep but you still post here

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:52 AM
ClasslessGuy

Wow the press conference is something to watch on RIS right now

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:56 AM
FinnHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post

What?! Details?

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:03 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
It really is. Good stuff.

PyrettaBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:13 PM
hockeyfan2k11

What did he really say though?

Gorges signed
Markov isn't returning before the all star break
Team is not playing as a team.
Randy's status will be evaluated at the end of the year

Did I miss something?

Old
01-02-2012, 12:14 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Has a journalist asked Gauthier if he intends to be a seller at the deadline unless we win like 10 games in a row and start playing at a 0.750 pace? I only catched the end of the PC.

Thats the only thing we need to know basically.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:17 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
It really is. Good stuff.
Really ?
Got any good/new information? because all i heard is the same old mixed in with some "we are sorry"'s.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:20 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Has a journalist asked Gauthier if he intends to be a seller at the deadline unless we win like 10 games in a row and start playing at a 0.750 pace? I only catched the end of the PC.

Thats the only thing we need to know basically.
Well, someone asked what he plans on doing if we keep stinking it up. He basically said something along the lines that we need(ed) reinforcements. i doubt he''s going to be a seller unless Molson tells him he's good for a few years.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Well, someone asked what he plans on doing if we keep stinking it up. He basically said something along the lines that we need(ed) reinforcements. i doubt he''s going to be a seller unless Molson tells him he's good for a few years.
I don't think Gauthier's in a position where he can sell a one-year retool and remain GM. I think it's the best course of action for the team going forward but Gauthier's at a point in his tenure where the result that comes with it won't help him get an extension. The only way the Habs end up a seller is if Molson decides the season is done and the Habs need to lay the groundwork to improve for 2012-13 and if that happens it probably means a new GM in the summer.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 01:18 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
It's nice to have Queens/Knights/Bishops at your disposal but a real chess master knows that instant sucess is never a given and that anything that is good requires consistency and a practical approach to winning.

I'm done discussing this , there is no debate , all we have here is a discussion amongst candidates that are more or less not qualified and are only in the mix due to being french and possibly the polar opposite of Gauthier/Gainey.

In my opinion there are only a handful of candidates I would consider : Julien Brisebois/Patrick Roy are my favourites amongst the speculations and only as they seem as the up and comers in the NHL management game and I'm tired of getting players/staff that are on the decline.
Would you hire this guy?

This was his career regarding playing hockey...........

____________played for Harvard University between 1983 and 1987, serving as the captain of the team. He later played for the British Hockey League Nottingham Panthers.

Prior to becoming an NHL executive, ________ was a player agent.. He was also an attorney in private practice. _______ served as an assistant general manager for two years.

When asked about building a hockey team, he responded like this....

"Being successful involves a team blending youth with experience, speed with physical play and character on and off of the ice."

Sucked as a player. Not a long glamourous track record in management prior to becoming a GM. And made a hell of a statement regarding his ideals when it came to building a hockey team.

Would you hire him?

Based on your response, probably not since you mentioned you would like to have BriseBois (mentored by Gainey) as our GM.

I really am curious to see your response.

__________________________________________________ _

Edit. Here are some quotes from Claude Loiselle......

"I preach to our coaches here every day that we have to battle and compete. Battle and compete. And you know what? The fans here, if they saw a team that battled and competed every shift, say, on a power play and not just on the shift that created that power play, they'd be cheering and saying `They're giving it their all.''

Now, last night we had a couple of fights. That's outstanding. We don't need to just fight but you need to play with the intensity that leads to that and then you answer the bell."

Old
01-02-2012, 02:36 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Would you hire this guy?

____________played for Harvard University between 1983 and 1987, serving as the captain of the team. He later played for the British Hockey League Nottingham Panthers.

Prior to becoming an NHL executive, ________ was a player agent.. He was also an attorney in private practice. _______ served as an assistant general manager for two years.

"Being successful involves a team blending youth with experience, speed with physical play and character on and off of the ice."

Sucked as a player. Not a long glamourous track record in management prior to becoming a GM. And made a hell of a statement regarding his ideals when it came to building a hockey team.

Would you hire him?

Based on your response, probably not since you mentioned you would like to have BriseBois (mentored by Gainey) as our GM.

"I preach to our coaches here every day that we have to battle and compete. Battle and compete. And you know what? The fans here, if they saw a team that battled and competed every shift, say, on a power play and not just on the shift that created that power play, they'd be cheering and saying `They're giving it their all.''

Now, last night we had a couple of fights. That's outstanding. We don't need to just fight but you need to play with the intensity that leads to that and then you answer the bell."
could have only posted this, it's already pretty clear it's the only reason you somewhat like the guy.

Old
01-02-2012, 03:22 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
How do you measure Prime vs Prime?
Stevie Y's best year is the same year Sakic entered the NHL, in 88-89, when the NHL leading scorer was 1 point short of 200pts, when a Defenseman scored 113pts, when there was 9 players scoring above 100pts.
I also think Sakic was a better PO performer. The man was a beast in the POs.

I think it's debatable, wouldn't go as far as it not even being close.
Peak vs peak it isn't close, I was comparing their respective primes not ones prime vs the others rookie season. 155 points by Stevie Y, better goal scorer and the only player during the 80/90's who was in the conversation with Lemieux/Gretzky, his game deteriorated quicker than Sakics, but at both of their bests I think Yzerman comes out on top quite easily. If I was ranking them in an all time sense, I would have to give the edge to Sakic, based on Peak, Prime, Playoffs, Longevity, Career, Internationals ect, but at absolute peak Sakic is a step behind imo. It's too bad Stevie had the injuries he had to deal with. Was clearly the better goal scorer too imo.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 03:41 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
could have only posted this, it's already pretty clear it's the only reason you somewhat like the guy.
Would you hire the guy that I listed in my post that you replied to?

Hint--Its not Claude Loiselle.

Edit to add. Unlike you, I am tired of the pussification of this team by Gainey and Gauthier. So yes, undeniably, the new GM has to be an advocate of tough hockey that *gasp* includes fighting.

Old
01-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Would you hire this guy?

Would you hire him?

Oh great! Sounds a lot like his narcissistic mentor....the eternally over-rated Brian Burke. No thanks to Loiselle!

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Would you hire the guy that I listed in my post that you replied to?

Hint--Its not Claude Loiselle.

Edit to add. Unlike you, I am tired of the pussification of this team by Gainey and Gauthier. So yes, undeniably, the new GM has to be an advocate of tough hockey that *gasp* includes fighting.
You're the most ignorant poster to join this board in a long time. Bob Gainey and "pussification" (a Mike Milbury term) do not belong in the same sentence. You should cheer for the Bruins....their WWE antics are a perfect match for you.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 03:57 PM
SnapVirus

Chiarelli made a good job. If I'd take him? Yes. But only if we had someone like his President behind me, to constantly push him.

I'd take Holmgren too.

SnapVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 03:59 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
You're the most ignorant poster to join this board in a long time. Bob Gainey and "pussification" (a Mike Milbury term) do not belong in the same sentence. You should cheer for the Bruins....their WWE antics are a perfect match for you.
Gainey DID assemble one of the softest teams I think I've ever seen. And enough with this Bruins crap. Having some size and toughness does not equate to being the Bruins. You enjoy watching our players get physically dominated? You enjoy watching our players having to defend themselves with no help?

No one wants this team to be like the Bruins. What we want is a return to the years where the Habs had a bunch of guys who could defend themselves and set the tone.

Old
01-02-2012, 04:05 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

@Southern, I don't disagree with your idea of how to build a team, but what's wrong with Loiselle's quote? That's exactly what coaches are supposed to do. Put the players they already have in good positions to be their best.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote