HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Here's a fact to crunch on...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-02-2012, 05:19 PM
  #51
MontrealHDTV*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
People are so pathetic. I mean no doubt I love my team and will support any team we ice, but for God Sakes wake up. Reality check, our management hasn't been good in years. Neither has our scouting. I mean AK46 over Richards, Carter, Perry, Parise, Getzlaf...really?

MontrealHDTV* is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 05:20 PM
  #52
MontrealHDTV*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHell View Post
Come on people OP has a good valid point after all Gainey was a really bad GM, I mean
he wasn't able to sign Malkin, Or the Sedin's. We all know he should have drafted Stamkos.
and Giroux, after all the whole OHL didn't draft him, and 20 something teams felt he dididn't deserve to be drafted heck the GM forgot his name, but hey Gainey should have drafted him for sure.
He, also, should have traded two top 10 draft picks, for Kessel

he also wasn't able to convince Hossa to sign in Montreal instead of Detroit and Chicago...

it's clear we are a bad team
Missed my point and you're not funny.

MontrealHDTV* is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 05:34 PM
  #53
Rand0mTAG
Rookie User
 
Rand0mTAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHDTV View Post
People are so pathetic. I mean no doubt I love my team and will support any team we ice, but for God Sakes wake up. Reality check, our management hasn't been good in years. Neither has our scouting. I mean AK46 over Richards, Carter, Perry, Parise, Getzlaf...really?
people keep bringing this up and it irritates me. who is to say that if we were to have drafted richards, carter, perry, ..., they would be the players they are today?
what if we had drafted getzlaf over ak46 and ak46 ended up being a 50 goal scorer and getzlaf a 15 goal scorer, than what?

and if i recall correctly, kostitsyn was supposed to be a high draft pick. what allowed montreal to choose him is that other teams had concerns regarding his health.

and lastly, i suggest you go look at where each player was drafted. the canadiens arent the only team to have overlooked most of those players

Rand0mTAG is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 05:41 PM
  #54
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,510
vCash: 500
The only revelation here is that we battered injuries. Amazing

Kriss E is online now  
Old
01-02-2012, 05:49 PM
  #55
Hemlor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHDTV View Post
People are so pathetic. I mean no doubt I love my team and will support any team we ice, but for God Sakes wake up. Reality check, our management hasn't been good in years. Neither has our scouting. I mean AK46 over Richards, Carter, Perry, Parise, Getzlaf...really?
You should probably look back at how highly rated AK was by multiple NHL scouts, not just the Habs. The only reason he was not a top 5-10 was fear of his epilepsy. And overall, amateur scouting has been a bright spot for this management, especially in the later rounds.

Hemlor is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 05:51 PM
  #56
MontrealHDTV*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand0mTAG View Post
people keep bringing this up and it irritates me. who is to say that if we were to have drafted richards, carter, perry, ..., they would be the players they are today?
what if we had drafted getzlaf over ak46 and ak46 ended up being a 50 goal scorer and getzlaf a 15 goal scorer, than what?

and if i recall correctly, kostitsyn was supposed to be a high draft pick. what allowed montreal to choose him is that other teams had concerns regarding his health.

and lastly, i suggest you go look at where each player was drafted. the canadiens arent the only team to have overlooked most of those players
True enough, but when was the last time we drafted a player that actually panned out? It's been a while. I'm hopeful for Leblanc though. He's played pretty sound since coming up.

MontrealHDTV* is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 05:53 PM
  #57
Rand0mTAG
Rookie User
 
Rand0mTAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
i dont think it is the players we draft. i think the problem is that we cant develop anyone.

Rand0mTAG is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 05:55 PM
  #58
MontrealHDTV*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlor View Post
You should probably look back at how highly rated AK was by multiple NHL scouts, not just the Habs. The only reason he was not a top 5-10 was fear of his epilepsy. And overall, amateur scouting has been a bright spot for this management, especially in the later rounds.
I understand that. That happens all the time where players play terrific in the minors and don't pan out in the big leagues. I get that. But can you honestly say our scouts have done a good job drafting?

MontrealHDTV* is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 05:59 PM
  #59
MontrealHDTV*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand0mTAG View Post
i dont think it is the players we draft. i think the problem is that we cant develop anyone.
Could be the case.

MontrealHDTV* is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 06:10 PM
  #60
Tusk
Registered User
 
Tusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 3,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHDTV View Post
But can you honestly say our scouts have done a good job drafting?
Yep, a very good job.

Tusk is online now  
Old
01-02-2012, 06:13 PM
  #61
bentheprop
Registered User
 
bentheprop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St Catharines, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlor View Post
You should probably look back at how highly rated AK was by multiple NHL scouts, not just the Habs. The only reason he was not a top 5-10 was fear of his epilepsy. And overall, amateur scouting has been a bright spot for this management, especially in the later rounds.
Try this write up for AK:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect/Andrei_Kostitsyn

If you're going to bash the drafting of this club there are way better choices than AK.

bentheprop is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 06:19 PM
  #62
MontrealHDTV*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
Yep, a very good job.
Disagree...Price, Subban, Pacioretty. That's pretty much all they've accomplished.

MontrealHDTV* is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 06:24 PM
  #63
ChemiseBleuHonnete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlor View Post
You should probably look back at how highly rated AK was by multiple NHL scouts, not just the Habs. The only reason he was not a top 5-10 was fear of his epilepsy. And overall, amateur scouting has been a bright spot for this management, especially in the later rounds.
This is not really the truth. AK wasn't really high on most lists. A few people had him rated well and there's been a biased article here on hfboards that stated he was the second coming of jesus and that every team had him rated higher but there was that epilepsy thing bla bla bla. The reality is most rankings had him in the second half of the first round regardless of that epilespsy thing.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 06:31 PM
  #64
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHDTV View Post
People are so pathetic. I mean no doubt I love my team and will support any team we ice, but for God Sakes wake up. Reality check, our management hasn't been good in years. Neither has our scouting. I mean AK46 over Richards, Carter, Perry, Parise, Getzlaf...really?
You can find example of that for every NHL team, I guess every NHL scouting staff is incompetant

The Rangers drafted Hugh Jessiman ahead of those guys, makes Ak look like a massive steal.

Point is, unless you draft a Crosby Lemieux or Ovechkin there is a lot of projection in the draft, you draft 17 and 18 year old kids trying to figure out how good they will be in 4-5-6 years. Will they fill out, will their skating cut it at the NHL level, will their grit, intensity or work ethic improve with maturity etc

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 06:35 PM
  #65
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
The only revelation here is that we battered injuries. Amazing
What exactly were you expecting? For him to call out Gomez Cammy Subban and Price by name?

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 06:35 PM
  #66
bentheprop
Registered User
 
bentheprop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St Catharines, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHDTV View Post
Disagree...Price, Subban, Pacioretty. That's pretty much all they've accomplished.
No hope for the 5 players we have at the WJC?

McDonagh? Halak? Lapierre? Latendresse? Grabovski? Streit? D'Agostini? S Kost? Emelin? Weber? Other than the last 2 that looks more like an asset management issue than a drafting one. Unless you're looking for those superstar calibre players that always get drafted in the mid to late first round.

bentheprop is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 06:38 PM
  #67
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
This is not really the truth. AK wasn't really high on most lists. A few people had him rated well and there's been a biased article here on hfboards that stated he was the second coming of jesus and that every team had him rated higher but there was that epilepsy thing bla bla bla. The reality is most rankings had him in the second half of the first round regardless of that epilespsy thing.
Not true, I'm pretty sure if you go back and read the Hockey News that McKenzie had him as a top 5 talent and he has the pulse of the scouting community.

http://proicehockey.about.com/cs/pro..._nhl_draft.htm

The Montreal Canadiens took what might be the most interesting gamble, selecting Andrei Kastsitsyn with the 10th choice. Kastsitsyn reportedly suffers from seizures and anxiety attacks (given the crushing pressure these teenagers are under, it's a wonder more of them don't display such symptoms). At one point he was believed to have epilepsy. So his health is an obvious question mark. On the other hand, many call him the best pure talent of the entire draft.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 06:40 PM
  #68
MontrealHDTV*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
We see glimpses of talent from AK46 every now and then, but it's not consistent.


Last edited by MontrealHDTV*: 01-02-2012 at 06:46 PM.
MontrealHDTV* is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 06:44 PM
  #69
MontrealHDTV*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentheprop View Post
No hope for the 5 players we have at the WJC?

McDonagh? Halak? Lapierre? Latendresse? Grabovski? Streit? D'Agostini? S Kost? Emelin? Weber? Other than the last 2 that looks more like an asset management issue than a drafting one. Unless you're looking for those superstar calibre players that always get drafted in the mid to late first round.
I was talking about players currently on our roster. A lot of the players you mentioned I wouldn't want on my team. As for the players at the WJ, I'm not holding my breath for Gallagher. Another small player. Beaulieu will be a good asset on the powerplay, but that's all he brings IMO. Tinordi will be the only half decent addition from what I can see.

Emelin, Streit, Grabo and McDonagh would be the ones I'd pick as being somewhat successful.


Last edited by MontrealHDTV*: 01-02-2012 at 06:50 PM.
MontrealHDTV* is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 06:54 PM
  #70
MontrealHDTV*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
You can find example of that for every NHL team, I guess every NHL scouting staff is incompetant

The Rangers drafted Hugh Jessiman ahead of those guys, makes Ak look like a massive steal.

Point is, unless you draft a Crosby Lemieux or Ovechkin there is a lot of projection in the draft, you draft 17 and 18 year old kids trying to figure out how good they will be in 4-5-6 years. Will they fill out, will their skating cut it at the NHL level, will their grit, intensity or work ethic improve with maturity etc
Fair enough...like I said, I get that drafting isn't the easiest thing in the world. This is why it would be nice if we just completely tanked so who we draft becomes more clear cut. This team ain't winning us the Cup. Wait out the hefty contracts, bring in young talent, start fresh.

MontrealHDTV* is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 06:54 PM
  #71
bentheprop
Registered User
 
bentheprop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St Catharines, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHDTV View Post
I was talking about players currently on our roster. A lot of the players you mentioned I wouldn't want on my team. As for the players at the WJ, I'm not holding my breath for Gallagher. Another small player. Beaulieu will be a good asset on the powerplay, but that's all he brings IMO. Tinordi will be the only half decent addition from what I can see.

Emelin, Streit, Grabo and McDonagh would be the ones I'd pick as being somewhat successful.
I don't see how can condemn our ability to draft without taking into consideration the number of players that we have drafted that are playing elsewhere in the NHL. Even if they left under negative circumstances they were still decent draft picks to be able to play at this level. Like I said, it looks more like a player management problem than a drafting problem.

bentheprop is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 06:58 PM
  #72
MontrealHDTV*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentheprop View Post
I don't see how can condemn our ability to draft without taking into consideration the number of players that we have drafted that are playing elsewhere in the NHL. Even if they left under negative circumstances they were still decent draft picks to be able to play at this level. Like I said, it looks more like a player management problem than a drafting problem.
I can agree with that. The drafting hasn't been all that bad looking at everything.

Management was my main point on this post and I'm sticking by it. That's not to let those players on those hefty contracts off the hook. The players have to take responsibility for their poor play too. But it all starts with management. These players should never have been on our team. Signing small forward after small forward is not a winning formula. Enough with the players that are past their prime!

MontrealHDTV* is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 07:17 PM
  #73
IceDaddy
24 and Counting
 
IceDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Plekanec makes just as much as Gionta, so they are tied for the 4th spot. Plekanec over Gionta since he makes $5 million for two more years than Gionta.

Pick and choose all you want. Including injured players over guys that have been playing all season is just trying to push your agenda. 3 of our top 4 (or 5) have been injured this season and have missed handfulls of games. One of which has not even played a game.

I think thats kind of the OPs point. That Markov contract is unforgivable. 3 years to a guy who had 2 massive knee surgeries2 years in a row. So far that is money well spent.

PG is the worst GM in the league by far.

IceDaddy is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 07:21 PM
  #74
hockeyjockey
Registered User
 
hockeyjockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHDTV View Post
Marian Hossa, Evgeni Malkin, Steven Stamkos, Daniel Sedin, Phil Kessel, Claude Giroux and Henrik Sedin all have more points than our top 4 highest paid players combined (occupying 24.1M of our cap).

Is this the worst managed team in Montreal Canadiens history?
Looks like 5 of 7 you mention are top 5 picks in their drafts. They all are pretty elite for the eception of one and fail to see the point you are making? 3 of 4 guys you are probably referring to are injured?? Your statement is convenient.

And for this, I'm out.

hockeyjockey is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 07:21 PM
  #75
IceDaddy
24 and Counting
 
IceDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand0mTAG View Post
i dont think it is the players we draft. i think the problem is that we cant develop anyone.

I think its because they are rushed along much to fast.

IceDaddy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.