HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At what point does Kopitar take responsibility?

Old
12-31-2011, 05:42 PM
sjmay*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
If Kopitar doesn't score more goals this team is going to underachieve by a large amount this season. He simply has to get out of this habit of next to no production for a stretch of 20-25 games during a season. It's ridiculous and completely unacceptable given the money he is getting and the role on the team that he occupies.

Again, disagree.

Kopitar could score zero goals in the next 5 games, and have 10 assists, and you guys would still be pissed, disregarding the fact that he directly contributed to 10 goals, or the fact that having 10 assists meaning there were 10 goals scored while he was on the ice.

I think what you meant to say was, if the TEAM doesn't score more goals, then the TEAM would underachieve...

Unless you guys are happy if Kopitar scores 82 goals in a season, and the Kings go 10-72 because the TEAM didn't do much after him....

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 05:44 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
Last 20 games:

2 goals, 13 assists for 15 points, and a -4. He registered at least one point in just 11 of the 20 games.

He has been a positive player in just 6 of those 20, and in all 6 he contributed at least one point. He was a minus player in 9 of those 20, even though he registered at least a point in 5 of those 9 as well.

Take away the two multiple point nights against Anaheim (20 games ago) and the recent effort against Phoenix, and those numbers are absolutely abysmal for your teams best player - 1 goal, 10 assists and -9 over those 18 games.

He has to be held to a higher standard. He played very well against Phoenix - not over his head, not spectacular - just a solid effort. It is always related to effort with Anze - and his celebrated defensive skill is overrated as well. He is just solid in his zone, nothing special. He's better on some nights than others, which is part of the problem. He earned several of those minuses by simply not hustling.

I don't know why so many give him so much praise for his defensive work - y'all need to stop listening to Fox's pro-Brown and Kopitar PR hype during the broadcasts. Those two sulked thier way to getting their coach fired - add in maybe Doughty, and you have the "core" group who was most responsible for the teams failings this year. You may have seen a lack of producton from others, but their effort was never questionable. Brown and Kopitar just stopped playing with any passion, exactly when this team needed them to step up. They need to be held accountable, not excused.

Anze Kopitar is a very good player capable of being a great one. But he just doesn't want it bad enough to push himself to be the best player he can be. This team isn't gong to take the next step until either he accepts that challenge, or is moved for a more committed #1 centerman. You just need more from the top of the lineup than good defense and the occasional big nights.
Curious, how many ppg player are out there do you think? Because it's looking like that's what you expect him to be, a PPG player who excels defensively as well.

As far as overrating Kopitar's defense, don't think so, he is simply one of the better defensive centers in the game, while being relied upon to provide the primary offense.

Not many of those players around...

Old
12-31-2011, 06:56 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Again, disagree.

Kopitar could score zero goals in the next 5 games, and have 10 assists, and you guys would still be pissed, disregarding the fact that he directly contributed to 10 goals, or the fact that having 10 assists meaning there were 10 goals scored while he was on the ice.

I think what you meant to say was, if the TEAM doesn't score more goals, then the TEAM would underachieve...

Unless you guys are happy if Kopitar scores 82 goals in a season, and the Kings go 10-72 because the TEAM didn't do much after him....
You act like one doesn't have anything to do with the other. They are linked together.

I think everyone wants the Kopiar who had 4 goals and 10 points while the Kings were 5-1-1.

If Kopitar scored 82 goals in a season, the Kings wouldn't be 10-72.

Stoll wouldn't have over 2 minutes of PK time if all he did was win face offs and change, ffs. While shorthanded, Kopitar has been on the ice for 5.7 goals per 60 minutes, Stoll is at 4.66. Kopitar only plays 12 more seconds shorthanded per game.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 07:00 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
You act like one doesn't have anything to do with the other. They are linked together.

I think everyone wants the Kopiar who had 4 goals and 10 points while the Kings were 5-1-1.

If Kopitar scored 82 goals in a season, the Kings wouldn't be 10-72.

Stoll wouldn't have over 2 minutes of PK time if all he did was win face offs and change, ffs. While shorthanded, Kopitar has been on the ice for 5.7 goals per 60 minutes, Stoll is at 4.66. Kopitar only plays 12 more seconds shorthanded per game.
Again, Stat boy, Stoll wouldn't have over 2 minutes of PK time per game if he won every faceoff, guarantee,

Let's see tonight, if I can get a feed that doesn't chop up, watch Stoll on penalty kills, and tell me again he's the one you want out there.

As far as Kopitar goes, they are linked, but they aren't freaking chained like most of you are making it out to be.

Do I want Kopitar to become a 50/50 player, of course, that would be a first for the Kings since the mid 90's.

Do I think it's going to happen, no, probably not.

Do I think he's overpriced and a bum because it's not going to happen, absolutely not, I can see what other skill sets he brings to the table,

Get your eyes off the stat sheet and you will be able to as well...

Old
12-31-2011, 07:01 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
op

Really?

Have you been watching the team play?

It's just that what do you expect from Kopi? He can only do what he can do with the direction he is being given in my opinion.

Who knows?
Yes, I've been watching the team play, every game for the last 25 years. I expect him to not go a month at a time without scoring a goal, for all the reasons that have been detailed here. I'm not saying that he should be a 50 goal scorer, but SEVENTEEN games without a goal? Come on now.

This team needs it's leaders, and Kopitar (allegedly) is one. It's time he starts acting like it. This team will never be a contender for anything except the 8 seed if Kopitar continues to go for long stretches like this without goals.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 07:02 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Do I think he's overpriced and a bum
Who has said that?

Old
12-31-2011, 07:11 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Who has said that?
Read the thread, more than one has mentioned he hasn't been worth 6.8 M which means they think he is overpriced....

Old
12-31-2011, 10:38 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Read the thread, more than one has mentioned he hasn't been worth 6.8 M which means they think he is overpriced....
AND a bum?

I'd just like to point out that Brown was not on the ice when Kopitar just scored that goal.

Old
12-31-2011, 10:41 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Tonight is the answer.

Old
12-31-2011, 10:43 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Tonight is the answer.
If you've been paying attention,

Stoll wins a faceoff, he goes and changes when it gets dumped.

Stoll loses a faceoff, he has to stay until it gets out and then changes....

Old
12-31-2011, 10:58 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
If you've been paying attention,

Stoll wins a faceoff, he goes and changes when it gets dumped.

Stoll loses a faceoff, he has to stay until it gets out and then changes....
Really? 11 minute mark, Stoll wins face off and the puck is cleared. Stays on the ice as the only forward and clears it again.

8:30 mark. Wins face off and puck is cleared. Stays on the ice.

Yes, he is also used to win face offs and changes. But he is also used to kill penalties. You don't get 2+ minutes per game for face offs only.

Old
12-31-2011, 11:59 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Really? 11 minute mark, Stoll wins face off and the puck is cleared. Stays on the ice as the only forward and clears it again.

8:30 mark. Wins face off and puck is cleared. Stays on the ice.

Yes, he is also used to win face offs and changes. But he is also used to kill penalties. You don't get 2+ minutes per game for face offs only.
First one, I believe you are talking about the 4-3 with Richards on the ice and Kopitar just finished a shift, who else are you going to put out there?

Anyways,

He wins face offs and changes, it's that simple, You can easily get 2:20 minutes a night on PK by doing that, If you lose a faceoff, you are easily out there 30-45 seconds most times, sometimes more at least,

Regardless, he isn't one of the strongest PK's we have.

Old
01-01-2012, 12:04 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

I never said he was the strongest. But you put him out of the top 6. He's currently 3rd on the Kings and they are 4th in the NHL. He's not as bad you make him out to be.

I guess Stoll basing is still in vogue around here.

Old
01-01-2012, 12:11 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Right.

The fact that the ENTIRE team is down on scoring from playing a D only system with ZED O style except shoot the puck 1-3-1 float the center up high slot so he can drop back on his D spot leaving the wingers without a center or visa versa means that we should bash everyone who isn't scoring.

Tonight is just one night but we have been playing as a team and a ton better than we did under TM.

How about a little time?

NONE of these guys should be held accountable for at least another dozen games.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:16 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
I never said he was the strongest. But you put him out of the top 6. He's currently 3rd on the Kings and they are 4th in the NHL. He's not as bad you make him out to be.

I guess Stoll basing is still in vogue around here.
Not bashing him, in fact, I was defending him against Herby all the time,

But again, his hockey sense isn't high enough to be effective enough on the power play,

I guarantee you if he couldn't win faceoffs the way he could, he would not see PK time unless you had 6 other bodies in the penalty box and the trainer couldn't skate.

Old
01-01-2012, 05:23 AM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I think you are giving the "kids" too much of a break. At this point in time Kopitar and Brown are vets.
Agreed. On the other hand he is still relatively young, that's why people say he is a kid. But for purpose of his role in the team, he should definitely be recognized as veteran. After all, he has experienced a lot since he has joined the club.

Quote:
Kopitar has been an absolute failure in the offensive zone the last 24 games.
That is simply not true. I think that whoever says that Kopitar has been an absolute failure in offensive zone, is overreacting. Because of his goal count and whole team underachieving I can understand where people could get such opinion, but still it's overreaction.

Quote:
If Kopitar doesn't score more goals this team is going to underachieve by a large amount this season.
Definitely. The team counts on his offensive production, there is nobody that could replace that.

Quote:
He needs to man up and take the puck right to the net where something good can happen like it did in Chicago for the 4th line.
You know what, this is a criticism I could support. I have been thinking the same very often, especially because my own personality is very different. I would probably have 5 fighting majors by now if I was him.

Quote:
He simply has to get out of this habit of next to no production for a stretch of 20-25 games during a season. It's ridiculous and completely unacceptable given the money he is getting and the role on the team that he occupies.
Here is where I don't agree and as I said before, people should stop thinking this is a matter of decision. It is NOT matter of decision or else Kopitar would have done it long time ago. He cares for this team and cares about winning. I don't see how could anyone sane say that he doesn't have the will, the determination. He has been playing hockey since he was born. How much has he sacrificed to become top line center in NHL? His whole life has been about one thing only. NHL players are passionate individuals, passionate when it comes to hockey

And you guys want to tell me that this is some kind of simple decision that he could make, to switch on the beast mode? I am sorry but this is real life. It's not a Hollywood movie. If it was an easy decision, it would have been made.

Quote:
I am watching the Pitt/NJ game right now. Check out what Malkin just did. He refused to go to the boards on the rush. He takes the puck to the middle gets off a shot and draws a penalty. That is the type of play we should all expect from Kopitar. Nine times out of ten Kopitar takes that puck to the boards, circles the net and looks to make a meaningless pass back to the point.
Out of all players out there you chose one of the worst role models for our Kopi. He has been criticized so much in the past, by hockey writers and fans. And the irony is that his occasional vacation has probably much more to do with a simple decision than Kopitar's. Maybe couple of vodka shots too many last night or he just woke up on the wrong side of bed.
You might say that you talked about the play only and not the player, but still in their careers I would say that Malkin has been criticized even more than Kopitar, probably because fans know how good is his top game. My bottom line is that things are not as simple as they might look from an armchair. How many of our own New Year promises are we going to break in 2012? And most of them really are simple decisions.

Quote:
bland is right on the mark with Kopitar.
Let me read that...

At this point I should say that I don't have problems with this thread as some other posters do. I think that Bandit is asking some good questions and raising some valid points. I also agree with many things said in this thread that could have been considered a criticism of Kopitar. But some posts are almost not worth replying to. Like the statement "it's sad to watch Kopitar taking faceoffs... he loses all PP faceoffs..." when he actually wins 54.54% of all PP faceoffs he has taken this season. The following post disappointed me after Kings17 mentioned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
It is always related to effort with Anze
Yeah, wrong, but that is not the part.

Quote:
I don't know why so many give him so much praise for his defensive work
Just because you don't understand why they give him the credit, it doesn't mean that they are wrong. In this case it is you who is wrong.

Quote:
y'all need to stop listening to Fox's pro-Brown and Kopitar PR hype during the broadcasts.
It has nothing to do with that. It is simply watching the games. Kings and the rest of the league. I probably watch almost 700 NHL games per season and I don't need Fox to tell me who is playing good defense and who doesn't. I watch the games, I see every goal scored in the league, I replay anything that I consider interesting enough. In other words, I watch to see and understand, not to be informed about the final score. And it doesn't matter if it's Kings or Panthers. To say that people who think that Kopitar is playing very good defense are simply brainwashed by Fox, is insulting.

Especially because it's pretty much you against everyone else on this one, hockey analysts included. Who are they brainwashed by?

Quote:
You may have seen a lack of producton from others, but their effort was never questionable. Brown and Kopitar just stopped playing with any passion, exactly when this team needed them to step up. They need to be held accountable, not excused.
Brown's problem is lack of effort? Here is where I retire.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 07:42 AM
Monarchist

Quote:
Regardless, he isn't one of the strongest PK's we have.
If our four PK forwards are Kopitar, Mike Richards, a cyborg with Bob Gainey's brain and Jesus Christ on skates and they kill almost every penalty, saying Kopitar is the weakest of the four doesn't mean he shouldn't be killing penalties.

The Kings PK is the very last thing that should be messed with right now.

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:05 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
If our four PK forwards are Kopitar, Mike Richards, a cyborg with Bob Gainey's brain and Jesus Christ on skates and they kill almost every penalty, saying Kopitar is the weakest of the four doesn't mean he shouldn't be killing penalties.

The Kings PK is the very last thing that should be messed with right now.
LOL,

I think you missed the boat on this one,

People were saying that we need to take Kopitar off the PK, so I asked who they would replace him with,

They said Stoll among others.....I cringed and died a little inside when they said that...

Old
01-02-2012, 09:18 PM
TopT

What no more ? Come on guys, Kopi sucks deserves at leat 10 pages.

TopT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopT View Post
What no more ? Come on guys, Kopi sucks deserves at leat 10 pages.
I don't think anyone said that Kopitar sucks, but 17 games without a goal is unacceptable. Hopefully, Kopitar keeps driving to the net and continues to score.

It's the fact that Kopitar is vital to the Kings overall success that fans get frustrated by his annual disappearing act.

Fans just want the October Kopitar for 82 games.

Old
01-02-2012, 09:43 PM
TopT

Quote:

Fans just want the October Kopitar for 82 games.
If you want October Kopitar for 82 games you have to pay him 9M

Its funny cause nobody complained in October that he was making ONLY 6,8M

TopT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:

Huh? He signed for 7 years based on potential, you can't renegotiate an NHL contract. I think AEG would gladly pay him more on his next contract if he scored 100+ points and won a cup.

Old
01-03-2012, 10:41 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
For the record, I haven't been able to watch either of the last 2 games - but it sounds like you are willing to blame everyone BUT DL.

If the players that he signed to serious big money contracts aren't producing, is it really not his fault at all? I thought that player personnel decisions were part of his responsibility - if they aren't producing, doesn't he hold some of the blame for choosing them?
It is partially his fault, I agree, but two people signed that contract, DL and the player. If a player underperforms, it's not all on DL's head. No one here would have thought Penner would produce so little as he has, no even me and I was very, very critical of the trade at the time. That's not all on D's shoulders. The same applies to Kopitar's slump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123slam View Post
http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/12/30...rk/#more-19193

Sutter: "If the top skill guys are really going, you want to give them big minutes, but we also use those guys to kill penalties, Anze and Brownie and Richie, so with Kopitarís minutes, maybe there are times when you want to give him a little (rest)."

I think a rest has more to do with it than anything else. Cut the ice time back a minute or so a game, where it's felt he needs it most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
Whatever the question is, I am sure you have the one and only answer.

Yeah, he will take him off the PP. However if it's really lack of effort, like many claim, Sutter's decision really doesn't make any sense. They are talking about Kopitar not having the WILL to do something in offense and yeah, I know that he is being paid 6.8M, but even most determined player can't WILL goals from the bench. Unless of course Sutter knows something that we don't.
Of course Sutter knows something we don't. The guy works with Kopitar every day, has private meetings with him and manages him as a coach. Sutter knows several things we don't know. There's a reason Sutter does anything. It might not be the best decision all the time, but there's a reason, and that reason is based off of something he knows. Something sometimes we don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I guess I would be the same if I was making million's of dollars and lived in LA. I mean would you care about anything at that point ?

Also the media doesn't really hold anyone accountable in LA. I am surprised LA media talks about the Kings at all.
I'd care if I was Kopitar, and I'm sure Kopitar cares as well.

That said, I do agree with you the media fails in LA sports wise. I don't want LA turning into a circus like Montreal when the GM has to apologize for the language of choice for who he hired, but how hard would it be to find someone who knows hockey? They could hire one of us and improve their reporting in many cases.

Quote:
Fair enough,

Who fills the 2:36 then a game of SH,

Kopitar is probably our best defensive forward...and a huge reason why our PK is so good...

Who do you replace him with?
Who says you have to replace all of that 2:36? Even cut him back a minute per game of that would help.

Quote:
No, no they aren't.

Stoll is a great faceoff man which you want on the PK, but in zone play, his hockey IQ is absolutely brutal.

Brown, works his ass off and sacrifices his body, which, again, you want on the PK, but again, his hockey IQ is brutal.
Stoll and Brown aren't brutal. No one is saying they are Bob Gainey, but they aren't brutal. And yes, I watch the games.

Quote:
First one, I believe you are talking about the 4-3 with Richards on the ice and Kopitar just finished a shift, who else are you going to put out there?
According to your posts, anyone, even Westgarth.

Quote:

So you are saying if Kopitar was paid more, he'd not have a slump? He takes 10-20 games off because he gets $6.8 mill and not $9 mill a year?

I'll say my faith in Kopitar's morales is greater than yours.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

After reading this thread.....

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote