HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Doug Wilson doing a good job?

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2003, 08:17 AM
MarleuFan

vCash: 500
Is Doug Wilson doing a good job?

I know he is at least somehwat of a fan favorive, but there are some facts that stand out:

Pros:
1) Signed everyone before camp
2) Was strong enough to keep Graves from coming back
3) Traded Wiseman for Nils Ekman (by the way, do you guys know how Wiseman is doing?)
4) Got Parker for a low draft pick. Which round draft pick was it again?

Cons:
1) Did not get a top six forward
2) Brought in Korky
3) The team started the season with 3 goalies
4) Harvey is a million dollar per year AHLer

Draft:
I know many people were high on the recent draft, but I kind of questioned the tactic of trading two picks to get one because wasn't it supposed to be a draft year full of talent?

Old
11-04-2003, 08:46 AM
SJSharksFan

I think Doug Wilson is doing a great job.

1) You mentioned top 6 forward...and who exactly is he going to trade to get one? Sturm? Marleau? Stuart? You have to give to get and I wouldn't give up on either of them right now. Mike Rathje would probably be moved later on in the season for something though.
2) Bringing in Korky wasn't a bad idea at first, considering how the team lacked Right Wingers after losing Selanne and Nolan.
3) 3 Goalies...nothing wrong with that...there are a few teams out there that carry 3 goalies. Kipper should be traded sooner or later.
4) Harvey is a million dollar AHLer is NOT Wilson's fault. I believe Deano gave him that contract...and seriously, would you play Harvey over Parker, Smith or Ekman right now? Didn't think so.
5) The draft was deep, but Wilson made a move to move up to select a player that they felt was worth it. You can't really tell if it was a wise move or not until they actually make it to the NHL.

Old
11-04-2003, 09:24 AM
majicpixie

Send a message via ICQ to majicpixie Send a message via AIM to majicpixie Send a message via MSN to majicpixie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleuFan
3) Traded Wiseman for Nils Ekman (by the way, do you guys know how Wiseman is doing?)

Chad has been doing quite well so far this season. He's 1st on the team and has been leading the Wolf Pack in goals, points, and tied with 2 other players for leading in assists. He was called up to the Rangers after the Rangers/Ducks game last week, but unfortunately, he was sent back down 2 days later without having a chance to play.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:15 AM
ModestoFan

Send a message via Yahoo to ModestoFan
Wilson as a GM has started rather strong. Anthoer poster stated that Korky might be his first "blunder" but I don't think so. SJ wanted Korky back and he did that. It's korky who is not producing with his opportunities. I said Korky might be a good player, but he isn't that in SJ right now. I could see Korky getting moved to an eastern conference team...Penguins for instance.

As far as three goalies and Harvey, those are inherited problems, and although we'd love to get something for them or see them shine in teal, it may not happen. I don't fault him for these things, But I expect him to make adjustments to lean out the team for draft picks etc in the coming months.

My only concern with Wilson is whether he can pull the trigger on GOOD deals that will benefit SJ in the mid-long term. His drafting was sound, and his faith in younger players is a good thing. They will mature and they will develop, so its a win in my book.

Hopefully, Wilson is working with the coach to get the right players int he line-up and on the roster. If SJ continues to solidify, then we'll all be happy with what we have. If things don't get in another month, or breakdown, then he must pull the trigger to move players to other teams and get a solid return for them.

more on that later.....

Old
11-04-2003, 01:24 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Doug Wilson has yet to do anything really negative. According to reports on the draft table, He didn't get a chance to watch many of the players in the draft. Tim Burke ran the show, and Doug Wilson did a great job of getting the players they wanted. So instead of getting 6th overall and 21st overall, we got the 16th overall pick and took a guy with alot of potential in Bernier. Michalek is going to be a top 6 forward down the road, If all goes well bernier could be are top scorer in 6 years or so. I liked the draft. why did we need 4 3rd rounders? when the guys we wanted were in reach. Hennessy, Carle ect. Draft was not bad by any stretch.; We walked out just as good as anyone. I still love how the Canadiens and the Sens drafted though same with the Coyotes.

I've been impressed with Doug Wilson more then any player on the team or coach so far. Were in good hands with him. Kippersauf and Harvey are inherited problems, At least he's doing somthing to fix it. Doug Wilson is a very smart man. I'm a big big big fan when it comes to draft days. After the 2003 draft I feal alot better having Doug at the table instead of Deano on draft day.

Old
11-04-2003, 02:32 PM
MarleuFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE
Doug Wilson has yet to do anything really negative. According to reports on the draft table, He didn't get a chance to watch many of the players in the draft. Tim Burke ran the show, and Doug Wilson did a great job of getting the players they wanted. So instead of getting 6th overall and 21st overall, we got the 16th overall pick and took a guy with alot of potential in Bernier. Michalek is going to be a top 6 forward down the road, If all goes well bernier could be are top scorer in 6 years or so. I liked the draft. why did we need 4 3rd rounders? when the guys we wanted were in reach. Hennessy, Carle ect. Draft was not bad by any stretch.; We walked out just as good as anyone. I still love how the Canadiens and the Sens drafted though same with the Coyotes.

I've been impressed with Doug Wilson more then any player on the team or coach so far. Were in good hands with him. Kippersauf and Harvey are inherited problems, At least he's doing somthing to fix it. Doug Wilson is a very smart man. I'm a big big big fan when it comes to draft days. After the 2003 draft I feal alot better having Doug at the table instead of Deano on draft day.
I am curious what you think of Marcel Goc. He was one of Deano's picks and he has zero goals so far in Cleveland.

Also, what about the 2 guys from last season - Dan Spang and Mike Morris? Were they good picks? I was wondering why they took so many prospects they were going to college or that were project players during that draft.

Old
11-04-2003, 05:52 PM
X-SHARKIE

Goc is not warrenting a first round pick at the moment, but he could turn things around. He's the kind of player whose going to do just as good in the NHL as he would in the AHL IMO. He's no Marco Sturm but he is a very smooth skater. He's not small, he can definitly handle him self out there physically. His best attributes to him is his defensive know abouts. He is a defensive speacilist up front. He also can dominate in the face off circle. He's going be the third center down the road. If Boyes moves to left wing then Hennessy should be number 2. Although I thought Boyes would stay in the middle and put Hennessy on the wing. But now with Boyes on the wing in Cleveland it may get switched around. I remember on draft day being disapointed about Goc. I thought the Sharks needed one more blue chip defensman. I was very high on Lukas Krajicek and Tim Gleason, But my ultimate Draft day victory has to be when I wanted the Sharks to take Jeff Woywitka. Ever since I've seen what Jeff has become I got a chip on my shoulders on draft day lol. But anywho, Luckily we got Ehrhoff. So I think it's safe to say Goc is the Sharks third line center of the future. No secret there really.

I've seen Dan Spang play 2 times. So I dont have much to go on him. He looks like a future Shark though to say the least. A more physical Scott Hannan with more Offensive mind to him, but lacks some of the defense Hannan brings and you can get him basically.
Mike Morris could be Gocs partner on the third line when he comes out of College! He's going to be a player who is quick on his feet, agressive, a good leader on the ice, He's vocal folks, and just works his tale off. Plus he is pretty talented. He'll be a good one.

I think the 2002 draft we came out good in the first two rounds. I wanted Jim Slater to be in a Sharks uniform on draft day. We passed him up. But I think to much is made of the hole 2002 going for home runs thing. I think we picked two good players from leagues not as hard or known as say the OHL ect. But they dont have huge upside. Morris and Spang should both be in Sharks uniforms for there careers but I think they'll just be solid players.

Old
11-04-2003, 06:30 PM
Hockeycrazed07

Send a message via ICQ to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazed07
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharksFan
I think Doug Wilson is doing a great job.
5) The draft was deep, but Wilson made a move to move up to select a player that they felt was worth it. You can't really tell if it was a wise move or not until they actually make it to the NHL.
Just a small note. Fritsche looks great, despite playing with a couple of guys that literally waste ice in Ling and another Blue Jacket that will remain nameless. If SJ dealt two of those for Bernier, it's a loss in my book. Of course, my opinion of Bernier is known, by now.

The results are starting...

~Crazed.

Old
11-04-2003, 07:09 PM
X-SHARKIE

Ahhh Crazed. If the Sharks wanted another Third Liner on this team we wouldve taken Ryan Kesler. Sharks selected Bernier thinking, basically knowing,that by the time there both 23, Bernier could be a stud and Fritsche well still be on the 4th and third lines. THeres a reason Horton was taken over Michalek. His top end potential. If it was all about the most NHL ready guy, witch Bernier is not. We wouldve seen Overaged players from europeans league getting picked up like hotcakes. Potential ways heavy into drafts. I love are 2003 draft at the moment, I think I will 5 years down the road. But I wont make it a statement on any players saying "He is this!" for years from now.

I Think Michalek is the man, I think in 3 years or so he well be on the same stable as Marleau. I also like Bernier alot, but I accept it's going to take him awhile, Look at Progner, Guy with loads of potential just took his time to get there.

Old
11-04-2003, 07:17 PM
MarleuFan

Quote:
Ahhh Crazed. If the Sharks wanted another Third Liner on this team we wouldve taken Ryan Kesler. Sharks selected Bernier thinking, basically knowing,that by the time there both 23, Bernier could be a stud and Fritsche well still be on the 4th and third lines. THeres a reason Horton was taken over Michalek. His top end potential. If it was all about the most NHL ready guy, witch Bernier is not. We wouldve seen Overaged players from europeans league getting picked up like hotcakes. Potential ways heavy into drafts. I love are 2003 draft at the moment, I think I will 5 years down the road. But I wont make it a statement on any players saying "He is this!" for years from now.

I Think Michalek is the man, I think in 3 years or so he well be on the same stable as Marleau. I also like Bernier alot, but I accept it's going to take him awhile, Look at Progner, Guy with loads of potential just took his time to get there.
What do you guys think of San Jose's 2002 draft? Mike Morris and Dan Spang - how are they doing?

Old
11-04-2003, 07:33 PM
Hockeycrazed07

Send a message via ICQ to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazed07
Max, have you seen Columbus once this year? Fritsche looks amazing out there. It's not his fault that he's on the 4th line, nor is it a bad move for his devlopment. Try watching the game before making yourself look foolish. Where a player is drafted has absolutely nothing to do with how he'll do in the NHL...otherwise, Storr would kick the snot outta Hasek, and that Oates guy wouldn't be among the best passers in the history of the NHL.

Granted, you've jumped aboard the Bernier bandwagon, and that's fine. You can jock him all you want to. Don't you dare tell me that I'm wrong until Bernier has hit the NHL, though. IF he does, I reserve the right to admit that I'm wrong. Until then, though, let me have my opinion, and you can have yours.

(For the record, I see Fritsche as a 2nd line player, so I'm not jocking him at all.)

Patty (your name is spelled wrong), Spang looks like a decent option as a puck-moving D, though he'll need some time in Cleveland to work on his defensive coverage. Could be a top-4 guy. Morris looks to me like a 3rd/4th line guy, though that's not a knock on him, but a style projection on my part. He's a better-than-average passer, which is something SJ desperately needs, but he'll take some time in the A, likely, too.

~Crazed.

Old
11-04-2003, 07:49 PM
X-SHARKIE

I was publicly clear about the guys I liked and disliked before draft time.

I Knew some guys were out of reach, Mid season I wanted Vanek. Late in the year I wanted Michalek.

My top 3 were Michalek,Jessiman,and Parise. Sharks got one of them I didnt think we had a shot at Bernier with the 21st. So I didnt include him, Me and Kevin had discussions about Bernier before the draft.

I watch the BJ's but i'm buisy watching Nash. He's a stud.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:02 PM
Baron Von Shark

Please, you changed your mind every other week and never once mentioned Bernier. If only the boards hadn't crashed, I'd be able to pull those old posts up.

Seriously Max, it's the know-it-all attitude you display--that is totally unwarranted--that makes people want to jump on every comment you make. Maybe if you had even the slightest thread of credibility, we'd actually take you seriously. No one has a problem with your input until you go off running your mouth, Max.

And for those of you running to his defense: don't even think about giving me that lame, "he's only 15," excuse. There are plenty of youngsters on this board who don't run their mouths like idiots.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:09 PM
Hockeycrazed07

[obvious change of subject]
Regarding SJ's 2002 Draft, I thought it was horrible, overall. There's a short kid playing in Detroit that was available when SJ chose in the 1st Round, who SJ said they'd take, and didn't. It's no secret that I detest Burke as a draft "guru," but that was a moronic move on his part. There were a few others, as well. SJ's draft was pathetically tame, and IMO there were a few that slipped through SJ's fingers.

Of course, hindsight, as they say...

~Crazed.

[/obvious change of subject]

Old
11-04-2003, 08:14 PM
Baron Von Shark

What about all of the teams that passed on Hudler? You have admitted to a disdain for the Sharks, and yes, that clouds your judgement. We might be wearing teal-colored shades, but you've got bias on your side as well.

I was not please with that draft, but Mike Morris has turned out to be a rather good NCAA player, and it is way too early to tell how well he will do. IMO, he has displayed 2nd-3rd line potential so far, and that's not bad at all considering the draft position he was taken.

edit: I do like Hudler btw, and I was hoping the Sharks would take him. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. Life goes on.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:21 PM
Hockeycrazed07

I agree completely. There are a lot of teams that messed up horribly. On the whole, SJ did fairly well in the draft, to be perfectly honest. Better-than-average, even.

That said, better-than-average doesn't win Cups. I could care less about SJ getting a Cup, but I'd like at least one Finals series to be played here.

My problem with Burke isn't that he's a horrible drafter, but that he takes INCREDIBLY safe guys with most of his picks. See Hannan, Stuart (though, admittedly, that was a pick that I'd have taken #1 Overall), etc. This year, ironically, he took a major risk by going after Bernier, but I don't like Bernier as a player, so I jump on Burke for doing exactly what I wanted him to do in taking some risks.

Life is full of ironies, isn't it?

~Crazed.

PS. I don't have anti-teal glasses by any means. As a season ticket holder, I find myself sinking money into the org., and as such, I have a vested interest in how they do. I give props where I see them deserved (see my posts about Rathje or Marleau, for example), and knocks where I see them deserved (FRONT OFFICE AND OWNERSHIP!).

EDIT: That said, I admit my bias freely. That, possibly, is the difference between myself and many other posters on this board. I admit that Jimmy Fahey is an incredibly skilled and determined guy, but I don't like him because he is small and gets tossed around like a rag doll, for example. I'd love to see him moved up front, but I can't see that happening realistically. Another topic for another day, I'm afraid.

Old
11-05-2003, 06:42 AM
X-SHARKIE

A. Ask Kevin, We discussed Bernier as possible powerforwards coming to us on draft day.
B. If you checked my profile on AIM My top 5 before draft day of possible Sharks I said.

1.Michalek 2. Jessiman 3. Stewart 4. Tambellini 5. Seabrooke and in the 2nd round I was hoping we would land Lou Erickson.

Those were my guys. Notice we took Michalek, and Bernier fits in fine where Jessiman and Stewart wouldve been, Tambellini = Hennessy in alot of ways. So mabey Michalek was the only guy I really wanted, but I'm still happy as jumpers to get a Top Tier Powerforward with a nasty edge and soft hands, a speed demon who can rack up points in Hennessy, and a All around doozie of a defensman in Carle. I've seen Pavelski play many times , I think he was a steal. I've seen Ehelchner now this year and he impresses me alot as well. Michalek is going to be on are top 2 lines, if not are top line depending who he is paired with Garunteed. Bernier could do the same but he's got to devolope yet. Progner, Bertuzzi come to mind.
Also....I dont know it all folks, but I'm going to voice my opinion, I love drafts, I love to talk about them. Notice I go back to drafts more then anyone else on here. I subscribe to Mckeens website, I purchased the redline draft guide 2 years in a row now, I also get the Hockey news "big woop lol" I also get tapes of North American players.

Go to Bernier and Hennessy update, I saw those two play this year, I love what I saw of Bernier and Hennessy, I only saw Hennessy once last year and Bernier twice. ...Once again. It's quite possible Bernier only fell to us because of his pre draft fitness tests.

2000. I thought Terro Maatta was a steal in the 2nd round, So far i've been wrong
2001. We took Marcel Goc ..I wanted Jeff Woywitka, I wasnt happy with the Sharks then.
2002. I wanted Jim Slater in the first round, We passed him up, in the 2nd round I was sitting at home hoping the Sharks would snatch up Johny Boychuk.

As you can see I have my diffrences with the Sharks. 2003 entry draft was a big time win IMO for the SHarks down the road.
Crazed, Von your so full of ****, if you say you knew about Jiri Hudler, I think it's safe to say he suprised us all abit.

I'm lucky to recieve tapes of CHL games. I got to alot of USHL and NCAA ones. I"m big into drafting. Europe is not my speacialty, It's rare for me to get tapes from there. I only get the World Junior championships and thats usually late. I didnt receive the tape from this past years untill August ! . But after reading Redline I wanted Michalek. So I guess you could say my #1 guy on draft day , I didnt even lay an eye on him. CHL players I do lay my eye on, and Bernier was under my radar before the SHarks took him. Ask Kevin, Berniers name was brung up before draft day.
Side note here: The Oilers wouldve taken Bernier at #17, thats what promted the Sharks to move up, Dont believe me? Look at the guys who the oilers drafted, whats in common? SIZE! Also they moved down the 22nd spot after the SHarks made the move up.

Old
11-05-2003, 06:58 AM
X-SHARKIE

BTW Crazed, Since were on draft talk. Just to state my claim so I dont get this stuff after next years draft.

My top 10 for the 2004 Entry draft is:

1 Alexander Ovechkin F 6-2/200 Moscow

2.Cam Barker D 6-3/210 Winnipeg

3 Rostislav Olesz F 6-2/205 Ostrava

4. Evgeni Malkin F 6-3/205 n/a I agree Crazed he's good, He already has put up multiple games with Multiple points much like Ovechkin, But to say he's the next Cam Neely is just unwarented.

5. Robbie Schremp F 6-0/198

6 Adam Pineault F 6-3/200 Holyoke

7 Wojtek Wolski F 6-3/200 Zabze

8. Devan Dubynk G 6-5/180 Regina

9. Lauri Tukonen F 6-2/195 Hyvinkae

10 Wes O'Neill D 6-3/200 Essex

Steals in the first round: Drew Stafford F 6-2/200 Faribault, Cory Schneider G 6-2/195 Marblehead, Mike Card D 6-1/195 Penticton

My steal of the draft .....Dmitri ****ikov , He's only 5-8 but the skill level is amazing. Could pull a Jiri Hudler.

Old
11-05-2003, 02:09 PM
vilpertti

I grew up in Hyvinkää, and I have had the chance to see Tukonen play some games in the last two seasons. This year he is playing for Espoo in the highest level in Finland, SM-Liiga. To describe the kid.. He was able to play well at the second highest level of hockey in Finland at 16.

Now he has been playing a bit in the first line for Espoo Blues, a struggling franchise deemed for eternal mediocrity. Scored some goals, too.

Propably the best pure talent to come from Finland since Saku Koivu. And as a bonus he has a good frame to go with.

Old
11-05-2003, 04:29 PM
Hockeycrazed07

Quote:
4. Evgeni Malkin F 6-3/205 n/a I agree Crazed he's good, He already has put up multiple games with Multiple points much like Ovechkin, But to say he's the next Cam Neely is just unwarented.
Have you ever even seen Malkin, or are you just going on his stats? It appears you're just going on his stats, which is (a) common for Americans, and (b) stupid. Ilya Kovalchuk played in the Upper League, which is a step down from where Malkin is currently playing. Would you have been one to knock his stats based on that? Malkin is playing against possibly the best players outside the NHL (though Finland would put up a fight), in a far more defensively-oriented system than is in place here in the NHL, and still gets ice time. There is ample reason he's #2 by most scouts.

I'm not knocking you putting him below that, mind you, but your method of doing so is horrible, to say the least, assuming that you've seen next-to-nothing of him to make an opinion.

That said, I haven't seen enough of the CHL boys to make a qualified opinion. A game or two of each isn't quite enough, IMO. I might be going on an OHL/QMJHL trip later this year, so maybe then I'll get a more qualified opinion, and I'm planning a WHL trip for February, so by draft time I should have a qualified opinion.

Right now, though, my opinion is centred on Russia, the Czech Republic, and the NCAA's. Speaking of the NCAA's, is the Wes O'Neill you have listed Notre Dame's Wes O'Neill? I've heard he is going to opt out this year and become eligible for the defensively rich '05 Draft.

~Crazed.

Old
11-05-2003, 04:53 PM
The Mannschaft

Send a message via ICQ to The Mannschaft Send a message via AIM to The Mannschaft Send a message via MSN to The Mannschaft
Quote:
Steals in the first round: Drew Stafford F 6-2/200 Faribault, Cory Schneider G 6-2/195 Marblehead, Mike Card D 6-1/195 Penticton
What do you think of Mike Card. I try to follow the Kelowna Rockets, and so far he's been disapointing this year. I think he's supposed to be an offensive guy, but he only has like 4 assists and 0 goals so far.

Old
11-05-2003, 05:28 PM
X-SHARKIE

I got to see him on tape 3 times over the summer. Evgeni Malkin was on the Russian 85 team for the World U18 tournament. Put up great numbers. So true crazed, I've only seen him 3 times and all 3 games were in a tournament. But I still did see him play. I have read about him alot as well. I now have 4 games of Michalek taped, but I had zero of those before the draft, yet Going by Mckeens, Readline, I thought he was the kind of player I want the Sharks to take. He's got all the tools to be an offensive threat in this league.

Mike Card has definitly been dissapointing this season. His draft position is really going to drop hard if it keeps up. I think he's just in a slump though, I remain high on him. He has all the tools to put up some points in the NHL. I dont know what to say about him really. I havent seen him play yet this season, Last year he looked excelent. But following him and his stats. He just isnt doing it for me. What do you think of him this season? whats changed?

Old
11-05-2003, 08:23 PM
The Mannschaft

Send a message via ICQ to The Mannschaft Send a message via AIM to The Mannschaft Send a message via MSN to The Mannschaft
Quote:
Mike Card has definitly been dissapointing this season. His draft position is really going to drop hard if it keeps up. I think he's just in a slump though, I remain high on him. He has all the tools to put up some points in the NHL. I dont know what to say about him really. I havent seen him play yet this season, Last year he looked excelent. But following him and his stats. He just isnt doing it for me. What do you think of him this season? whats changed?
I havent gotten to see the Rockets play yet this season. I listen to them on the radio sometimes, and from what i've heard Card hasn't been getting very much ice time. The whole Rockets team has had trouble scoring, so that could have something to do with his lack of points so far as well. I got to see a few Rockets games last season. I actually saw Card's first WHL game and he got a goal. For some reason he reminded me of Jeff Jillson.

Closed Thread