HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winter Classic January 2, 2012 (and scheduled events through this week)

Old
01-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Lurch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers845 View Post
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...0&l=552dba0c40

That's the link on my Facebook I'm on my iPad so I cant upload it
Thanks!

Not the same sight lines as WFC, but still looked like you could follow the game well. Nice seats!

Lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Amateur Hour

So, official number of times the NBC crew called Bobrovsky "Bryzgalov": 2. Once by Pang about five minutes in, and then by Emerick later after a big save by Bob.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Suspended4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholm Syndrome View Post
Good game. Shame Bob screwed the pooch on this one. First and second goals were bad. Then the team lost motivation.

Ah well. Still a good game.
I think the Pens and Caps stopped the WC handshake tradition last year. That didn't bother me nearly as much as Rupp getting TWO goals tonight. Isn't he the Rangers' version of Shelley???

Suspended4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspended4Life View Post
I think the Pens and Caps stopped the WC handshake tradition last year. That didn't bother me nearly as much as Rupp getting TWO goals tonight. Isn't he the Rangers' version of Shelley???
yes... thats what burns so bad..

1 goal you can facepalm at. but 2 ??

grrrr...

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Why does the next game have to be so far away ?

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:43 PM
SgtJoseph

I am sure both clubs are probably glad the 24/7 stuff is over with.....Time to get on with it now, and settle in for the 2nd half of the regular season...

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Jtown

I just want to say a few quick points real quick.

1. Ice was bad and going north south was something that favored the Rangers big time.

2.Lundqvist gave up huge rebounds all game but the Rangers D did such a great job of clearing the area in front of him sans Schenn Goal

3. It hurts to lose this especially with it being in our house up 2-0 but it is still just 1 game.

4. Bob played well and one very well placed shot by Rupp was his undoing, Bob is a great Prospect but he is seriously flawed with going down so quickly. The other 2 goals were clearly the fault of the defenders and forwards espcially on the 3rd goal.

5. For such a deep group of Forwards we really relied heavily on the G line to produce chances.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:53 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcanadian23 View Post
1:33.

Such a shame this kid can't get more ice-time. He is so responsible defensively, and could be doing alot more offensively with some quality linemates. And was solid in the faceoff circle tonight - as was Schenn - on a team that is notoriously weak at faceoffs.
I don't understand why Laviolette hates Couturier so much. That's what it has to be because if this is any other team, they're finding ways to get a guy like Couturier into the lineup. I don't buy the protecting Couturier bit either. This is a guy who is already one of the best penalty killers in the game and this is coming from a rookie. Yet, there's Couturier with his 7 minutes of ice time lined up with Harry Z. FFS, if Laviolette is just going to waste Couturier, then I wish they'd send him back to Drummondville.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:11 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I don't understand why Laviolette hates Couturier so much. That's what it has to be because if this is any other team, they're finding ways to get a guy like Couturier into the lineup. I don't buy the protecting Couturier bit either. This is a guy who is already one of the best penalty killers in the game and this is coming from a rookie. Yet, there's Couturier with his 7 minutes of ice time lined up with Harry Z. FFS, if Laviolette is just going to waste Couturier, then I wish they'd send him back to Drummondville.
I really don't understand it either. Lavy supposedly rewards players with ice time if they play well and benches players when they don't play well. Couturier, as you said, was good on face offs tonight and played well offensively especially along the boards. I have noticed that Briere rarely plays less then 15 min a game even though he has struggled offensively recently and as well as defensively. Like it or not players are not treated equally. I was happy to see Schenn get some PP time today.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:15 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspended4Life View Post
Rupp is the Rangers' enforcer, yes, but he's nowhere near as useless as Shelley. You're talking about a guy who registered 36 points over the past two seasons with Pittsburgh. That's more than half of Shelley's career totals over 11 seasons.

Rupp is a very good fourth liner who can play a little hockey in addition to beating people up. Shelley can only do the latter.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Amateur Hour

So, Lavy picking Briere over Giroux to take that penalty shot was idiotic and incomprehensible, I don't care what his gut told him. We all agree on this right? You live or die with your best player, and that's Claude Giroux. He was on the ice at the time of the infraction, already had a goal in the game, and thrives in pressure situations. Seriously, Lavy... what the ****? Just makes no sense to me.

Old
01-02-2012, 10:21 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Did WIP or something say that Giroux was not on the ice so thats why Briere took it. Whoever said it some of my friends on facebook and such are arguing with me saying that he was not. Told them to go to NHL.com and check the video. Giroux makes the pass to Carle who plays it across. And anyway, Giroux would 100% be out there with 16 seconds left.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:24 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Hindsight is 20/20 but I think Laviolette should have gone with Giroux. As soon as I saw it wasn't Giroux I thought of the 2010 shootout where Torterella went with Jokinen instead of Gaborik. When the game is on the line you have to go with your best player. Especially since he had already scored in the game. It should have never came down to that though.

Also as much as I enjoyed 24/7 I'm glad it's over. You could tell they played different with the cameras around. Time for Bryzgalov to focus only on hockey and nothing else. We need him to step up big time.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Rupp is the Rangers' enforcer, yes, but he's nowhere near as useless as Shelley. You're talking about a guy who registered 36 points over the past two seasons with Pittsburgh. That's more than half of Shelley's career totals over 11 seasons.

Rupp is a very good fourth liner who can play a little hockey in addition to beating people up. Shelley can only do the latter.
He can't even do that anymore.

Old
01-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
So, Lavy picking Briere over Giroux to take that penalty shot was idiotic and incomprehensible, I don't care what his gut told him. We all agree on this right? You live or die with your best player, and that's Claude Giroux. He was on the ice at the time of the infraction, already had a goal in the game, and thrives in pressure situations. Seriously, Lavy... what the ****? Just makes no sense to me.

No I don't agree at all. Infact i couldn't disagree more. Briere is the more experienced player when it comes to shootouts, His career percentage is twice as high as Giroux's. Briere also thrives in pressure situations

But since briere missed lavy made a poor decision? The poor decision would have to chosen the player with the worst percentage regardless if he made the shot or not.

Old
01-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
It's mystifying, for sure, and a total waste.

Old
01-02-2012, 10:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Was Giroux on the ice? It wasn't his line, unless he was the extra attacker. Penalty shot has to be taken by someone on the ice.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
No I don't agree at all. Infact i couldn't disagree more. Briere is the more experienced player when it comes to shootouts, His career percentage is twice as high as Giroux's. Briere also thrives in pressure situations

But since briere missed lavy made a poor decision? The poor decision would have to chosen the player with the worst percentage regardless if he made the shot or not.
Agree to disagree. With the game on the line, would you rather have Giroux or Briere taking the shot?

Old
01-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Was Giroux on the ice? It wasn't his line, unless he was the extra attacker. Penalty shot has to be taken by someone on the ice.
Yup, he made the pass to Carle. The NBC crew even said he was on the ice but that Briere was getting the opportunity instead.

Old
01-02-2012, 10:38 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
It's mystifying, for sure, and a total waste.
Sure does seem like Laviolette enjoys playing favorites w/ Danny Briere.

Briere never sees his ice time below 15:00, despite how terrible he might be playing (even in the game where Landeskog scored b/c Danny was too lazy defensively, we saw no reduction in time, and nothing of Laviolette yelling @ Danny on 24/7). And in the dressing room, whenever Lavvy is yelling @ specific guys who need to do better, he always seems to single out guys like Hartnell, Read, Simmonds, but never Briere.

And now Briere (despite missing a few somewhat easy chances late) gets the opportunity for the penalty shot instead of Claude Giroux.

Heck, I would've gone w/ JVR or Voracek even before I chose Briere. That ice was so bad @ the end there, you needed someone who is normally blazing fast to take that penalty shot so they would be going @ a decent speed in on Lundqvist. Briere made no moves, had no speed, no wonder Hank didn't make the 1st move... there was no need to b/c Briere didn't even fake once.

And the Couturier thing is maddening. I can't remember the last time I thought Danny outplayed Couturier for a full game... yet every single time you check the stat sheet, you'll find that Briere likely doubled Cooter's Even Strength ice time.

/sigh

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Agree to disagree. With the game on the line, would you rather have Giroux or Briere taking the shot?
The penalty shot? I would have gone briere, who has one of the best percentages in the shootout in the NHL. Giroux is not very good at the shootout, which is not a big deal but stil its his weakness. Just look at JAGR, he never shoots penalty shots for us, but he is a top 10 goalscorer of all time. But then you have a player like Rob schremp who may be the greatest shootout artist ever and he is not even a NHL player so its such a specialized skill it doesnt translate to who is the best player.

Last edited by Jtown: 01-02-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old
01-02-2012, 10:39 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Oh, well then, I agree. Briere has been cold for a while. I thought this would be a game where he would rise to the occasion.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:45 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Some pictures that I took today:

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Top Cheese Danish

Giroux was on the ice. Lavi said in his post-game conference that he needed to decide between Giroux and Briere, and he ended up choosing Briere.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:00 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

should lavi have gone with giroux? probably. oh well. i'm giving the flyers a pass because the poor ice in the third took away the ability for the flyers to dictate with their speed. we need to win out the rest of the season series against this team, though.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote