HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "Fire Arniel" Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-02-2012, 01:41 PM
  #951
Socks
HeadFake
 
Socks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox2usp View Post
Wow. Seems the coach is still a bit ********.
What a ******. To think I used to like him. I mean is he trying to become more hated than Scotty H?

Socks is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 02:07 PM
  #952
GScott
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 718
vCash: 500
According to Puckrakers Howson is heading to Alberta for the World Juniors. Looks like the lack of accountability continues.

GScott is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 02:17 PM
  #953
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Jaxs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post
According to Puckrakers Howson is heading to Alberta for the World Juniors. Looks like the lack of accountability continues.
He's going to talk to Kevin Lowe to see about an asst. to the asst. job!

Jaxs is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 02:28 PM
  #954
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,936
vCash: 500
Arniel's continued employment might as well be a middle finger from the owners and management.

Let me guess Arniel's excuse at the end of a winless road trip include a loss to the lowly Ducks--"3 games in 4 nights, nothing left in the tank."

Total joke. If ever there was a point in the schedule he could be quietly dismissed with the Buckeyes playing today and several days before the next game, today was the day.

This GM is just dumb enough to sign him to an extension instead.

CapnCornelius is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 03:07 PM
  #955
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
Exactly. Arniel is fragile. We are now seeing it. The players have been a witness to it for a season and a half. No wonder they play like they don't give a damn, and tank on the rare occasion they hold a lead. This is what a team that is quitting on their coach looks like. Howson needs to fire him right ******* now.
I don't necessarily disagree about firing Arniel, but all of this could be read as a coach that has reached the end of his rope with a group of players as well. People will believe what they want and I'm not trying to convince anyone (not even suggesting it's my opinion) but it's possible Arny's been broken by whatever ails this bunch, rather than caused it.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 03:10 PM
  #956
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan
 
mt-svk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post
According to Puckrakers Howson is heading to Alberta for the World Juniors. Looks like the lack of accountability continues.
Trades made thanks to phone

mt-svk is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 03:17 PM
  #957
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I don't necessarily disagree about firing Arniel, but all of this could be read as a coach that has reached the end of his rope with a group of players as well. People will believe what they want and I'm not trying to convince anyone (not even suggesting it's my opinion) but it's possible Arny's been broken by whatever ails this bunch, rather than caused it.
Any coach "broken" by his team in 1 1/2 years has no business in pro sports.

pete goegan is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 03:20 PM
  #958
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Trades made thanks to phone
At this point, nobody wants to see trades made, and especially not by what they hope is a lame-duck administration. We're in French Revolution mode - only heads rolling in the street will quench the blood lust.

pete goegan is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 03:24 PM
  #959
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!
 
ClevelandJacketFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ...Really?
Country: United States
Posts: 3,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post
According to Puckrakers Howson is heading to Alberta for the World Juniors. Looks like the lack of accountability continues.
Like I said, I'll believe Arniel is fired when it actually happens.

And I think he somehow manages to voodoo his way through the whole season.

ClevelandJacketFan is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 03:27 PM
  #960
GScott
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Trades made thanks to phone
He should not be allowed anywhere near the "red" phone. The mere fact that he is flying to Canada to scout tells me ownership and Priest have no intention of making any changes.

GScott is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 03:45 PM
  #961
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Columbus
Country: Colombia
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post
He should not be allowed anywhere near the "red" phone. The mere fact that he is flying to Canada to scout tells me ownership and Priest have no intention of making any changes.
So you'd prefer that the club's GM not attend the biggest scouting event of the year?

__________________
Truth should never get in the way of a good persecution complex.
Samkow is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 03:48 PM
  #962
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
So you'd prefer that the club's GM not attend the biggest scouting event of the year?
Actually, yes.

Send Patrick instead and let Howson be the one faced to answer the press' questioning.

The fact that Howson is going tells me that we're likely to be stuck with this GM after the year is up even if the owners wake up and force him to fire the coach. Pathetic.

CapnCornelius is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 04:10 PM
  #963
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM
 
Columbus Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 708
vCash: 272
My only hope is that Patrick is calling the shots. He knows the season is lost, and getting the #1 pick is really the only positive that can be achieved. Keeping the Scotts helps get that pick. They can be replaced in off season, as doing it now really doesn't accomplish much. Patrick is putting the pieces in place for the next administration.

I can hope this is true, can't I?

Columbus Mike is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 04:22 PM
  #964
Doctor Spin
Registered User
 
Doctor Spin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 148
vCash: 500
For what it's worth, I believe the league has asked that the only NHL news today is the Winter Classic. No major transactions or announcements until the puck is pulled from the ice in PHL. This doesn't means that something is going to happen, only that it won't be announced until later if it does.

Doctor Spin is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 04:34 PM
  #965
CBJ103
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Powell, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
I hope that Arniel lasts until the end of the season. I think he gives the CBJ the best shot at the following :

1) #2 pick in the draft (if you think the CBJ will actually win the #1 pick in the lottery seek professional help immediately)
2) Least chance of a meaningless late season rally which fools the CBJ into thinking "maybe just a little tweaking is all we need." And you know that they are dumb enough to fall for it.

I don't know if it is technically possible for a team to "tank" without actually knowing they are doing it or trying to do it.....but I think that the CBJ may actually be accomplishing this.....running things so poorly that some unintended good eventually results from it.

And I say this as a STH who has to sit thru all this.....

CBJ103 is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 05:25 PM
  #966
GScott
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
So you'd prefer that the club's GM not attend the biggest scouting event of the year?
I would prefer that Howson not be the GM and have Patrick do the scouting. This tells me Priest is still calling the shots and as a result we will be stuck with Howson and his ineptitude. I'm sure at some point Arniel will become the sacrficial lamb and the necessary changes will not be made.

GScott is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 05:26 PM
  #967
Doug19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: Aland Islands
Posts: 6,138
vCash: 50
I trust Howson when it comes to trading, if there is one thing he has been very successful at, it's getting good value in trades.

Doug19 is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 08:34 PM
  #968
gonz
Registered User
 
gonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I am honestly mystified by his continued employment.
Him and the members of Congress.

gonz is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 08:51 PM
  #969
CBJCougar
Registered User
 
CBJCougar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Inside a house
Country: United States
Posts: 5,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I trust Howson when it comes to trading, if there is one thing he has been very successful at, it's getting good value in trades.
My head is going to explode....

CBJCougar is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 09:22 PM
  #970
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
My head is going to explode....
lol, I know you loved that Klesla trade... You go on and on about how much you love it...

rofl (sorry, couldn't resist).

blahblah is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 09:42 PM
  #971
Cyclones Rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus Mike View Post
My only hope is that Patrick is calling the shots. He knows the season is lost, and getting the #1 pick is really the only positive that can be achieved. Keeping the Scotts helps get that pick. They can be replaced in off season, as doing it now really doesn't accomplish much. Patrick is putting the pieces in place for the next administration.

I can hope this is true, can't I?
I agree with you. Not so much as a "tank" for gaining a higher pick, but in that the season is so lost that nothing can be done about it.

Also, Patrick's candidates for the GM and coaching positions may not be available yet. Most capable hockey men are employed at this time of the year The rare exception being a guy like Hitchcock-but of what value could he have been to an organization like the Jackets??

Patrick is more than likely formulating a blueprint for the future of the Blue Jackets right now. I wouldn't at all be surprised if the Jackets pull some major move prior to the trade deadline. Unless the ownership and Priest are completely-and I do mean completely-clueless, then any transaction would have to have Patrick's approval. As such, Howson should only be serving as the front man for Patrick at this point in time. I'd be quite surprised if that's not the case.

The time has passed for a coaching change to have any impact upon this season. The playoffs are lost and all a new coach would effectively be doing is rearranging the chairs on the Titanic. A new GM and coach who are trying to install a new culture in the Blue Jacket organization will need an entire off season just to start the process. It can't be done effectively at this point in the season.

Cyclones Rock is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 09:54 PM
  #972
CBJCougar
Registered User
 
CBJCougar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Inside a house
Country: United States
Posts: 5,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
lol, I know you loved that Klesla trade... You go on and on about how much you love it...

rofl (sorry, couldn't resist).
Oh Honey...you know it!!

Stupid son of a ***** cashed in my trusty Rusty for a damn piece of hair and who was that other idiot? Tostito? Oh yeah. Frigging GENIUS move!! Freed up all that money. Yeah. So he could turn around and give it to Methot!! Sweet Jesus, help me, help me.

And now Doug61, who hates every breath I take, testifies to the strength of Howson's bargaining powers. Oh God....

Let me make one point clear...I believe you could send Scott Howson to a ***** house with a hundred dollars and he'd come back from a date with a lesbian and no money. There isn't an easier man in town to roll than Humpy Howson.

CBJCougar is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 10:09 PM
  #973
Doug19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: Aland Islands
Posts: 6,138
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Oh Honey...you know it!!

Stupid son of a ***** cashed in my trusty Rusty for a damn piece of hair and who was that other idiot? Tostito? Oh yeah. Frigging GENIUS move!! Freed up all that money. Yeah. So he could turn around and give it to Methot!! Sweet Jesus, help me, help me.

And now Doug61, who hates every breath I take, testifies to the strength of Howson's bargaining powers. Oh God....

Let me make one point clear...I believe you could send Scott Howson to a ***** house with a hundred dollars and he'd come back from a date with a lesbian and no money. There isn't an easier man in town to roll than Humpy Howson.
Regardless of your personal feelings for Klesla, Howson has done a pretty decent job when it comes to trades. Getting rid of Klesla's salary was the main draw of that deal, and while he hasn't been injured like usual he has still missed 7 games this season. Klesla wasn't worth what he was paid because he was always out of the lineup, did Howson get good value for Klesla? At the time it looked like he did because he brought in some solid secondary scoring, but obviously that does nothing for us moving forward, but we did gain cap space. He really has gotten pretty decent value at the time for most of the players he's traded, I can't really think of a bad trade he has made other than getting rid of Glencross, but even that wasn't a bad trade because he was going to go to Calgary eventually anyway.

Doug19 is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 10:22 PM
  #974
TaketheCannoli
RIP
 
TaketheCannoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 8,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Regardless of your personal feelings for Klesla, Howson has done a pretty decent job when it comes to trades. Getting rid of Klesla's salary was the main draw of that deal, and while he hasn't been injured like usual he has still missed 7 games this season. Klesla wasn't worth what he was paid because he was always out of the lineup, did Howson get good value for Klesla? At the time it looked like he did because he brought in some solid secondary scoring, but obviously that does nothing for us moving forward, but we did gain cap space. He really has gotten pretty decent value at the time for most of the players he's traded, I can't really think of a bad trade he has made other than getting rid of Glencross, but even that wasn't a bad trade because he was going to go to Calgary eventually anyway.
So the Klesla deal was to get rid of a bad contract.

Who negotiated that contract for the Blue Jackets, and when was it consummated?

TaketheCannoli is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 10:35 PM
  #975
CBJCougar
Registered User
 
CBJCougar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Inside a house
Country: United States
Posts: 5,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Regardless of your personal feelings for Klesla, Howson has done a pretty decent job when it comes to trades. Getting rid of Klesla's salary was the main draw of that deal, and while he hasn't been injured like usual he has still missed 7 games this season. Klesla wasn't worth what he was paid because he was always out of the lineup, did Howson get good value for Klesla? At the time it looked like he did because he brought in some solid secondary scoring, but obviously that does nothing for us moving forward, but we did gain cap space. He really has gotten pretty decent value at the time for most of the players he's traded, I can't really think of a bad trade he has made other than getting rid of Glencross, but even that wasn't a bad trade because he was going to go to Calgary eventually anyway.
Rusty has missed 7 games, none of which involved being suspended. Wiz has missed more than that prior to the broken ankle. How much are we paying James? What's your point again?

Did Howson get good value for Klesla? I said at the time it was a loaner situation and it was. You don't piss away assets for loaners. And you damn sure don't make it a priority to call an AHL player named Sestito while letting the Original Blue Jacket find out he was traded on tv!! Oops.

Howson traded away both Klesla and Hejda, the cornerstones of our "tough to play against" defense. Can you say that about us now? With a straight face?? As a result, did he manage to create an offense that is capable of scoring more than 2 goals per game??

Howson overpays every day. He does it because he puts himself into a position where he has to. He is reactive, not proactive. He is not a good leader. There is not one solid situation where he has been brilliant.

And I will go on record as saying I like Wiz. I do. But the dude needs discipline or he's gonna be another notch on the "I was trying to do good" belt that Howson wears to each and every loss that we have had.

CBJCougar is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.