HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Management thread 3.0 (All GM/Coaching discussion here)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-02-2012, 04:06 PM
  #926
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
You're the most ignorant poster to join this board in a long time. Bob Gainey and "pussification" (a Mike Milbury term) do not belong in the same sentence. You should cheer for the Bruins....their WWE antics are a perfect match for you.
You thought that was Burke's resume? Wrong.

And you call me ignorant?

Look at the team that Gainey assembled and Gauthier has maintained. Softest in the League. And when Pleks and PK scrap in practice, people go wild.

I love the supporters of our present management when confronted with disagreement. The default response is to suggest that we cheer for another team. Sorry bud. Been a Canadiens fan all my life and the hate for the Bruins is stronger this year now that they have won a Cup and are one of the best teams in the League.

So, sorry.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 04:09 PM
  #927
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
You thought that was Burke's resume? Wrong.

And you call me ignorant?

Look at the team that Gainey assembled and Gauthier has maintained. Softest in the League. And when Pleks and PK scrap in practice, people go wild.

I love the supporters of our present management when confronted with disagreement. The default response is to suggest that we cheer for another team. Sorry bud. Been a Canadiens fan all my life and the hate for the Bruins is stronger this year now that they have won a Cup and are one of the best teams in the League.

So, sorry.
Nobody panics as long as you say everything is going according to plan.

PK is an agent of chaos.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 04:10 PM
  #928
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
@Southern, I don't disagree with your idea of how to build a team, but what's wrong with Loiselle's quote? That's exactly what coaches are supposed to do. Put the players they already have in good positions to be their best.
I think that you posted this to me instead of someone else. I posted the Loiselle quote. And I agree with him 100%.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 04:10 PM
  #929
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Gainey DID assemble one of the softest teams I think I've ever seen. And enough with this Bruins crap. Having some size and toughness does not equate to being the Bruins. You enjoy watching our players get physically dominated? You enjoy watching our players having to defend themselves with no help?

No one wants this team to be like the Bruins. What we want is a return to the years where the Habs had a bunch of guys who could defend themselves and set the tone.
Two of the first players Gainey acquired for the Habs were Darren Langdon and Steve Begin....neither of them were soft. Gainey then built a team that was in line with post-lockout NHL hockey that at first didn't include clutch and grab. We were closely modelled after the strong Sabres team of the mid-2000's based on speed and skill. Sometime over the last few years, the officials haven't been calling it like they did right after the lockout and they've let a lot of the clutch and grab creep back into the game (obviously mandated from above). This has certainly hurt teams like the Habs who were built around speed and skill. It also hurt the Canucks and helped the Bruins in last year's final when they got beat up and bullied by the Bruins (e.g. Marchand punching Sedin repeatedly with no penalty). The game isn't called like it was immediately after the lockout.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 04:15 PM
  #930
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Two of the first players Gainey acquired for the Habs were Darren Langdon and Steve Begin....neither of them were soft. Gainey then built a team that was in line with post-lockout NHL hockey that at first didn't include clutch and grab. We were closely modelled after the strong Sabres team of the mid-2000's based on speed and skill. Sometime over the last few years, the officials haven't been calling it like they did right after the lockout and they've let a lot of the clutch and grab creep back into the game (obviously mandated from above). This has certainly hurt teams like the Habs who were built around speed and skill. It also hurt the Canucks and helped the Bruins in last year's final when they got beat up and bullied by the Bruins (e.g. Marchand punching Sedin repeatedly with no penalty). The game isn't called like it was immediately after the lockout.
Why do you bring up the past? The past is gone and is irrelevant. WE are talking about the players that Gainey signed on this team and are playing THIS YEAR. And we are talking about the players that Gauthier signed for this team and are playing THIS YEAR.

Incredible that you are still holding onto Langdon and Begin as an example of Gainey's tough players. Both are lonnnnnnggggggggg gone from Montreal.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 04:20 PM
  #931
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Would you hire the guy that I listed in my post that you replied to?

Hint--Its not Claude Loiselle.

Edit to add. Unlike you, I am tired of the pussification of this team by Gainey and Gauthier. So yes, undeniably, the new GM has to be an advocate of tough hockey that *gasp* includes fighting.
that's a great resume... with no substance... and chances are it's not much better or worse than the resumes from MOST GM/coaches in the league... even the bad ones have some interesting stuff to put in theirs, or stuff that looks interesting at the very least.

- was he a good agent ? resume doesnt show
- a good attorney ? resume doesnt show
- a good asst. GM ? resume doesnt show
- does he really believe what he says ? only in interview it will show


so, to awnser your question, only a retard would hire someone based on a resume alone...

at the very best, a great resume gets you an interview, nothing more...




can pretend otherwise, but you're not interested in anything but fights anyway... everything comes down to fight for you.

- we dont score enough goals ? get a fighter
- we dont have a great game plan ? get into fights
- our 1st line C has to be used as a shutdown C ? replace him with a fighter
- our D has huge holes ? missing a goon or two

missed anything ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 04:24 PM
  #932
Hugo Sham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,061
vCash: 500
couldn't help but think a little of Habs and Gauthier reading this

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...out-the-future

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 04:26 PM
  #933
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant
 
VAN-HAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Port Moody BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,958
vCash: 500
as long the duo BG-PG manages this team will never improve.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 04:27 PM
  #934
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,625
vCash: 500
Isn't it obvious this team is built far too much around perimeter players?

It's easy for the opposition to play against us because we don't score many goals in the dirty areas. Aside from Cole, and to a lesser extent Moen. Shut down the center of the ice against these guys and they wont have as much room. Watch other teams PP's and watch ours. The second that Cammalleri/Plekanec/Gionta/DD have the puck, they immediately pressure them and we lose the puck. Aggressive penalty killing? Yeah, it's a strategy that teams apply. Except every team is applying it against us and it's working like a charm because none of our players are a threat to physically out muscle or get around them with reach as they are so small. Contrast that to 07/08 when we had a big strong skill player like Kovalev controlling the play on the half-wall. No one dared approach him, or he'd push his way past you.

It's no surprise that the big bodied guys are having a much easier time gaining the zone and maintaining the play there. We need more Cole, Pacioretty, Eller, AK and Moen types than we do Plekanec, Cammalleri and Gionta types.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 04:30 PM
  #935
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
that's a great resume... with no substance... and chances are it's not much better or worse than the resumes from MOST GM/coaches in the league... even the bad ones have some interesting stuff to put in theirs, or stuff that looks interesting at the very least.

- was he a good agent ? resume doesnt show
- a good attorney ? resume doesnt show
- a good asst. GM ? resume doesnt show
- does he really believe what he says ? only in interview it will show


so, to awnser your question, only a retard would hire someone based on a resume alone...

at the very best, a great resume gets you an interview, nothing more...




can pretend otherwise, but you're not interested in anything but fights anyway... everything comes down to fight for you.

- we dont score enough goals ? get a fighter
- we dont have a great game plan ? get into fights
- our 1st line C has to be used as a shutdown C ? replace him with a fighter
- our D has huge holes ? missing a goon or two

missed anything ?
Glad you posted. Shows all of your other posts aimed at me were nothing more than petty drivel with no substance.

That resume is from a guy who agrees more with me than with you and AK46Awesome.

Peter Chiarelli. Ever hear of him? Loiselle shares the same philosophy as Chiarelli. Toughness matters.

Thanks for the good chuckle you just gave me. Happy New Year BUDDY!!!!!

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 04:34 PM
  #936
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant
 
VAN-HAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Port Moody BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Isn't it obvious this team is built far too much around perimeter players?

It's easy for the opposition to play against us because we don't score many goals in the dirty areas. Aside from Cole, and to a lesser extent Moen. Shut down the center of the ice against these guys and they wont have as much room. Watch other teams PP's and watch ours. The second that Cammalleri/Plekanec/Gionta/DD have the puck, they immediately pressure them and we lose the puck. Aggressive penalty killing? Yeah, it's a strategy that teams apply. Except every team is applying it against us and it's working like a charm because none of our players are a threat to physically out muscle or get around them with reach as they are so small. Contrast that to 07/08 when we had a big strong skill player like Kovalev controlling the play on the half-wall. No one dared approach him, or he'd push his way past you.

It's no surprise that the big bodied guys are having a much easier time gaining the zone and maintaining the play there. We need more Cole, Pacioretty, Eller, AK and Moen types than we do Plekanec, Cammalleri and Gionta types.
that is so true

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 04:37 PM
  #937
Rbk
MontrealCulinary*****
 
Rbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: București
Country: Romania
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Rbk Send a message via Skype™ to Rbk
lets see what will happen

Rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 06:58 PM
  #938
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Glad you posted. Shows all of your other posts aimed at me were nothing more than petty drivel with no substance.

That resume is from a guy who agrees more with me than with you and AK46Awesome.

Peter Chiarelli. Ever hear of him? Loiselle shares the same philosophy as Chiarelli. Toughness matters.

Thanks for the good chuckle you just gave me. Happy New Year BUDDY!!!!!
how about this guy ? he sure would agree with you (and Chiarelli I guess), right ?

- played over a decade in the NHL, known for his agressive style
- as a coach led his team to a President trophy
- as well, led his team to a SCF appearance
- Named executive of the year by the Sporting News
- was also Sr VP in a major "sport related" corporation

based on the resume, the guy got all we need

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:16 PM
  #939
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
how about this guy ? he sure would agree with you (and Chiarelli I guess), right ?

- played over a decade in the NHL, known for his agressive style
- as a coach led his team to a President trophy
- as well, led his team to a SCF appearance
- Named executive of the year by the Sporting News
- was also Sr VP in a major "sport related" corporation

based on the resume, the guy got all we need
You do realize that the entire points have been whooshing over your head. (I am sure that you realize that and are just wasting my time------but what the hell.....)

Your defender, AK46Awe., tried to make a point backing up your petty posts by saying that Loiselle did not have a good resume and or wasnt a very good player or some **** like that. I countered with the resume of Peter Chiarelli which did not look that great. But......he put together a Stanley Cup winning team.

The entire point and you can take it or leave it, is that the pedigree or resume sometimes does not matter all that much. Its more about philosophy when it comes to fielding a team to play in the NHL. Yours is different than Chiarelli's or Loiselle's. And I happen to agree with their philosophy.

Take care BUDDY!!!!!!!

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:33 PM
  #940
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
You do realize that the entire points have been whooshing over your head. (I am sure that you realize that and are just wasting my time------but what the hell.....)

Your defender, AK46Awe., tried to make a point backing up your petty posts by saying that Loiselle did not have a good resume and or wasnt a very good player or some **** like that. I countered with the resume of Peter Chiarelli which did not look that great. But......he put together a Stanley Cup winning team.

The entire point and you can take it or leave it, is that the pedigree or resume sometimes does not matter all that much. Its more about philosophy when it comes to fielding a team to play in the NHL. Yours is different than Chiarelli's or Loiselle's. And I happen to agree with their philosophy.

Take care BUDDY!!!!!!!
what point ? oh! you mean your "I want fights" point ? no problemo we all got it a while ago, we know by now that's all you care about

key word : sometimes.




by the way, speaking of missing the point, what I posted is from a guy who was in the NHL and does agrees with you 100% on the toughness part you care so much about - he does have the same philosophy... but I can pretty much guarantee you do NOT want this guy as our next GM.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:33 PM
  #941
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,749
vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
toughness, fighting, truculence, et cetera
do you HAVE to use ad hominems in every one of your posts?

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:01 AM
  #942
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
do you HAVE to use ad hominems in every one of your posts?
What are you talking about? I have never used the word "truculence" yet you attribute it to me in a quote????????????????

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:08 AM
  #943
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,749
vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
What are you talking about? I have never used the word "truculence" yet you attribute it to me in a quote????????????????
it's not obvious i was summarizing?

also, way to dodge my actual post

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:10 AM
  #944
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Why do you bring up the past? The past is gone and is irrelevant. WE are talking about the players that Gainey signed on this team and are playing THIS YEAR. And we are talking about the players that Gauthier signed for this team and are playing THIS YEAR.

Incredible that you are still holding onto Langdon and Begin as an example of Gainey's tough players. Both are lonnnnnnggggggggg gone from Montreal.
Begin never scared anybody anyway.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:11 AM
  #945
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
You're the most ignorant poster to join this board in a long time. Bob Gainey and "pussification" (a Mike Milbury term) do not belong in the same sentence. You should cheer for the Bruins....their WWE antics are a perfect match for you.
Gainey the player and Gainey the GM are two different things.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:20 PM
  #946
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
it's not obvious i was summarizing?

also, way to dodge my actual post
Start reading post # 893 on this thread and then wonder why I replied like I did....

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:03 PM
  #947
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Gainey DID assemble one of the softest teams I think I've ever seen. And enough with this Bruins crap. Having some size and toughness does not equate to being the Bruins. You enjoy watching our players get physically dominated? You enjoy watching our players having to defend themselves with no help?

No one wants this team to be like the Bruins. What we want is a return to the years where the Habs had a bunch of guys who could defend themselves and set the tone.
The difficulty is that the Habs smaller players are not skilled enough(Girioux, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, St Louis) and they havent drafted or acquired enough gritty players with skill (Lucic, Horton, Chara, Hartnell, Kestler).

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.