HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mid-Season Press Conference

Old
01-02-2012, 10:27 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Hilarious...this made me laugh! Good post!

I do think the Montreal environment is totally different than another city like Columbus especially when your owner and GM both reveal to the world that you're likely a lame duck in terms of job security. Players read the papers and even if they want to support their coach, it's human nature to let up a bit when you know your boss likely isn't there for the long-term. If things don't work out in Montreal, Cunneyworth will land on his feet somewhere else. He has a great pedigree and has been a valuable asset/contributor as a coach in more than one organization.
yes, to some extent... Montreal or not, if he keeps the pace he'll have this team win less than 20% of their games... he wont get another HC job in a long while.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:00 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
yes, to some extent... Montreal or not, if he keeps the pace he'll have this team win less than 20% of their games... he wont get another HC job in a long while.
I think you meant to say, he's English. Tell us what your real motives are.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:01 PM
Hugo Sham

http://habsloyalist.blogspot.com/2012/01/classless.html

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
I do think the Montreal environment is totally different than another city like Columbus especially when your owner and GM both reveal to the world that you're likely a lame duck in terms of job security. Players read the papers and even if they want to support their coach, it's human nature to let up a bit when you know your boss likely isn't there for the long-term. If things don't work out in Montreal, Cunneyworth will land on his feet somewhere else. He has a great pedigree and has been a valuable asset/contributor as a coach in more than one organization.
RC is not an idiot. I'm sure he was well aware of the situation, and he was hired as an interim coach. I think fans and the media make a lot more out of this than he probably does (surprise surprise).
I don't think players let up because the coach is likely to change the following year. There isn't one player in the NHL that isn't proud, they want to play well, get their points, make nice plays and win games.
If they're tired of the coach, perhaps, but not a new coach, not even an interim. They might start letting up later, when they don't believe in their PO chances anymore, but not now.

I'm unimpressed by his coaching so far, and it has nothing to do with being in Mtl.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:09 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
surprised you say that since it says Montreal below your avatar...

you should know by now that medias could very well ride such a story all year long.
They easily could, but the way the team handles it will have a big bearing on how the media handles it too. Right now, they've handled it badly.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
RC is not an idiot. I'm sure he was well aware of the situation, and he was hired as an interim coach. I think fans and the media make a lot more out of this than he probably does (surprise surprise).
I don't think players let up because the coach is likely to change the following year. There isn't one player in the NHL that isn't proud, they want to play well, get their points, make nice plays and win games.If they're tired of the coach, perhaps, but not a new coach, not even an interim. They might start letting up later, when they don't believe in their PO chances anymore, but not now.

I'm unimpressed by his coaching so far, and it has nothing to do with being in Mtl.
Agreed for the most part but it could be the difference between giving 100% and 98%. A player can still be busting his butt to make plays at 98% but those few percentage points can be huge in the final result of a game that is so fast and intense. A lot of this is mental preparation which is linked to level of buy in of the coach's message. If players know their coach is a lame duck, it's more difficult to buy in 100% to their message and fully execute it....human nature (even if the players themselves don't realize it). I believe this is part of why McGuire said RC would succeed in places other than Montreal. I'm assuming he's saying this because of the current environment which has been very negative over the last few weeks. Players are aware of the situation and players are human.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Agreed for the most part but it could be the difference between giving 100% and 98%. Those few percentage points can be huge in the final result of a game that is so fast and intense. A lot of this is mental preparation which is linked to level of buy in of the coach's message. If players know their coach is a lame duck, it's more difficult to buy in 100% to their message and execute it....human nature. I believe this is part of why McGuire said RC would succeed in places other than Montreal. I'm assuming he's saying this because of the current environment which has been very negative over the last few weeks.
I disagree. I don't think the players have performed much differently and I don't think any of the guys stopped playing for JM. But I think we'd have held a .500 record with Martin around because of the way he utilized his players.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I disagree. I don't think the players have performed much differently and I don't think any of the guys stopped playing for JM. But I think we'd have held a .500 record with Martin around because of the way he utilized his players.
Firing Martin was indeed a terrible move. I don't know what more he could have done with the hand he was dealt. I do think that Cunneyworth has been put in a terrible situation though and this has been made worse by poor leadership reflected in ill-advised statements by his owner and now by his GM.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Firing Martin was indeed a terrible move. I don't know what more he could have done with the hand he was dealt. I do think that Cunneyworth has been put in a terrible situation though and this has been made worse by poor leadership reflected in ill-advised statements by his owner and now by his GM.
I don't like Martin. But I clearly mentioned that the Habs had to retain Martin for the whole year. We had to go to the end with Martin-Gauthier. And then deal accordingly with them at the end. Made no sense to go with a uniligual coach. And not only that but with a unproven NHL head coach. Gauthier did the ultimate move to save his ass. And fortunately for us, it won't happen.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:42 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I think you meant to say, he's English. Tell us what your real motives are.
nope, I really meant it when I said he win less than 20% of his games.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:45 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
I cannot believe the things he said about Cunnyworth.

I realize there is drama in the media, and frankly, I'm of the opinion the coach should speak french if only to cut the circus this creates...

But he basically just fired Cunnyworth in that press conference. There is a complete lack of respect for the team, the coach and the, frankly, the season in his comments. You cannot throw your coach under the bus like this. He said that being bilingual is a key requirement of the next coach and that Cunnyworth is only temporary.

If that is the case, why the hell is he there? How is he supposed to command any respect from his players when it's clear that anything short of a random Cup run isn't going to keep him behind the bench (and I doubt that would be enough).

The comments may quell some media members for a week or two, but it was a horrible thing to say about an employee who is struggling to turn things around right now. We all kind of knew he was likely a lame duck coach, but I've never seen a team make it official like that. Absurd.
With all this monkey business stuff Gauthier and The Molson are bringing shame to this organization and their fans right now.

My fear with this press conference is that PG seems to be still the man of the Molson Bros. They should can him now and if he's not willing to win right now that means he admits he's not up to the task, he failed at his job.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
By having a monolingual anglophone coach for the rest of the season Gauthier is teaching the French media a lesson. He's obliging them to conduct their interviews with the coach of le Canadien, le Club de Hockey Montréal, in the language they seem to despise but must use. They have to take the time to translate their notes or tapes, thereby delaying their arrival at their homes. In other words, Gauthier is inflicting unpaid overtime on them. May their suppers grow cold!
First I don't think the guy is that smart.

Secondly that wouldn't be a classy way to do things. Why does this always have to be "us vs them" ever since Gainey came in? Why does ths org always threat outsiders as the enemy?

Old
01-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
like I said in previous threads, about the coach not speaking french and all, the WHOLE blame is on the Org on this.

they knew very well when they fired JM that an unilingual coach would create a HUGE storm (unless they're REALLY stupid). They did it anyway, then PG saying language can be learned, then Molson issuing a statement, and now PG talking about a new coach...

all this is a joke... not only did they miss big time thinking there wouldnt much of an issue with an unilingual coach... but the best they can find to calm things down is to throw their employee under the bus...

and all the guy is asking is a chance to prove his worth as a HC. (to other org. obviously, but still)
Cunneyworth should have never been hired by the Habs to begin with. All Gauthier want to hire are former Senators people. If he hires Pascal Vincent in Hamilton and bring him in as ass coach to Martin, we don't have this problem.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:39 AM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Cunneyworth should have never been hired by the Habs to begin with. All Gauthier want to hire are former Senators people. If he hires Pascal Vincent in Hamilton and bring him in as ass coach to Martin, we don't have this problem.
i dont think Cunney was the coach for HAbs organization-
i was surorised when he was hired to coach in Hamilton- but then again thought another senator!!

That PC today was bizzare- whats with habs owners Hiring these odd ball GMs? and enough of Gauthier calling everybody MR!!! its weird !
and make no mistake while Goat isnt the answer for gm- Gainey is the Main culprit here putting this team together- leave if for the rest of thes eason- hopefully the team gets a top pick and then once the last reg game is played - Molsons take there smart pills and gets rid of all the higher ups including Gainey- you would think Molsons would be stupid again and hire from within or bring back Gainey -

Last edited by larek: 01-03-2012 at 01:48 AM.
larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:04 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Yet again, this is totally irrelevant. 'Cause before you win, you have to take decisions. And until you win, you will be blamed and bashed for taking the decisions you take. Unless your name is Carey Price and that on a personal performance alone you can shut up people, you will not be able to shut up a whole mass before you are a winning team. Add the fact that everybody recognizes that before we are a winning team à la Red Wings or today's Bruins, they're plenty of stuff to do. So what do you do before it happens? Much easier to buy time with a french coach. Would also be easier to do with 4, 5, or 6 francophone and useful players. And then you build a team to win. The distraction from now on will be way too much if you close your ears to the crowd and media and just hire anglos all over the place.
I really agree with this.

The team is a mess anyway... why bother creating new controversy here? A coach isn't going to turn hamburger into fillet mignon so why not just go with a bilingual coach for now?

If we build a great team and it happens that you feel a specific coach who happens to be an anglo is the right guy, hire him then. There won't be near the same kind of backlash when this happens.

Also, they hired a no name Anglo to do this and then immediately threw him under the bus. It was bungled very, very badly and it really reminded me back to the days of Houle and Corey. Really stupid stuff.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:19 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
I started not trusting molson after he took over for Pierre Boivin.
I felt more trusted with him ten with molson.
What Pierre Boivin done with the team is pretty good seeing when he took over the team the books were a mess,bell center was dead,the team was a mass,prospects pool was pretty bad he did a lot

LoL We are now so much better on paper, the difference though, those guys look like they have fun togheter, they look united, something we have failed to see from our guys this season..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:32 AM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
LoL We are now so much better on paper, the difference though, those guys look like they have fun togheter, they look united, something we have failed to see from our guys this season..
some of the players from back then had some emotion and guts

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:17 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
That team was god awful. That video also reminded me of the existence of players like Juha Lind, Christian Laflamme, Craig Darby, Karl Dykhuis...

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:23 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Yet again, this is totally irrelevant. 'Cause before you win, you have to take decisions. And until you win, you will be blamed and bashed for taking the decisions you take. Unless your name is Carey Price and that on a personal performance alone you can shut up people, you will not be able to shut up a whole mass before you are a winning team. Add the fact that everybody recognizes that before we are a winning team à la Red Wings or today's Bruins, they're plenty of stuff to do. So what do you do before it happens? Much easier to buy time with a french coach. Would also be easier to do with 4, 5, or 6 francophone and useful players. And then you build a team to win. The distraction from now on will be way too much if you close your ears to the crowd and media and just hire anglos all over the place.

So, yes if you can tell me that with Cunneyworth, we'd win 82 games. I would say to take him.....but in what world is everybody living? You can't promise me that. We don't have the pedigree to do so. We went from a franchise who everybody was looking to, to just your regular average franchise. The language factor is there and will always be there. Deal with it or change teams. Strange that we keep reading in here that if people aren't happy with the composition of the team, they should wait for the Nords to come and change allegeance. Well same applies for the ones who do not agree with that coaching policy. I can tell you right now that the day we have some kind of great management, you will not mind that the coach speaks french.
Great bits of wisdom that everybody should take the time to read.

So many of you have it all figured it out. If I was GM, this team would be this way and that way! Man... I wish it was all that simple.

The Montreal Canadiens are dealing with a VERY unique situation that no other team has to deal with. But it's the way it is and it won't change. So saying absurdities like "The media hates anglophones" or "this gm is insulting us English fans" is irrelevant and plain wrong. If you are going to be a fan of the Montreal Canadiens, stop being so upset about issues like this. Get used to this, because you haven't seen the last of it. And being building an utopia in which the French media is annihilated, in which Jean-Charles Lavoie mysteriously disappears and in which not a single fan cares about local players or encouraging QJMHL coaches is all nice, but it's pointless.

As for those saying that Cunneyworth will land another coaching gig somewhere else easily... He took a team that was doing meh, and so far, he made it worse.

He has plenty of time to turn things around. But he's going to have to find ways to do it soon or his time with the Canadiens will be seen as a huge failure and landing another job in the NHL will be very hard for him. It's not like he didn't have the same players as Martin. Same team, different results and not for the best. Plus, you usually get a spark when there's a coaching change, but not here.

That said, I am absolutely not saying RC is a bad coach. It's an awful situation for him to deal with. The whole controversy crap, coaching a team that seems unmotivated and unwilling to pay the price to win, things just not clicking... I wouldn't want to be him right now. We haven't seen enough of him to really get an idea of how he is as a coach.

He still has a lot to prove before he can be anointed as NHL ready. For our sake, and for his, I hope he can get this team to play together and to play like they can. Because they're all underachieving big time right now.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:30 AM
lynx

The language thing is so funny, if RC had won every game since he took over nobody would give a damn about it, French or English.

Winning cures all, even that.

lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I really agree with this.

The team is a mess anyway... why bother creating new controversy here? A coach isn't going to turn hamburger into fillet mignon so why not just go with a bilingual coach for now?

If we build a great team and it happens that you feel a specific coach who happens to be an anglo is the right guy, hire him then. There won't be near the same kind of backlash when this happens.

Also, they hired a no name Anglo to do this and then immediately threw him under the bus. It was bungled very, very badly and it really reminded me back to the days of Houle and Corey. Really stupid stuff.
This smells of improvisation, that's what it is.

I can't stand looking at this once great organization looking so disorganized.

Old
01-03-2012, 11:01 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Gauthier didn't mention that he himself screwed up by not signing another top 4
d-man in case Markov wasn't ready? And judging by fan reaction this is definitely something he should have known - that Markov wasn't going to be ready.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:21 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Gauthier didn't mention that he himself screwed up by not signing another top 4
d-man in case Markov wasn't ready? And judging by fan reaction this is definitely something he should have known - that Markov wasn't going to be ready.
and fans would know more about the condition of a player than the GM because?

it's preposterous to think that PG knew markov wouldn't be ready (and hell, knew that he would need another minor surgery), but still signed him long term, told everybody he would be ready and opted to not take appropriate contingencies.

and then there's the whole issue whether a top 4 guy would even fit in our cap. these guys cost somewhere between 3-4, maybe a bit less...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:35 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
That team was god awful. That video also reminded me of the existence of players like Juha Lind, Christian Laflamme, Craig Darby, Karl Dykhuis...

those guys would barely make the ahl

donghabs98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Subban76

Quote:
I don't like Martin. But I clearly mentioned that the Habs had to retain Martin for the whole year. We had to go to the end with Martin-Gauthier. And then deal accordingly with them at the end. Made no sense to go with a uniligual coach. And not only that but with a unproven NHL head coach. Gauthier did the ultimate move to save his ass. And fortunately for us, it won't happen.
I don't understand why people talk and assume that PG will be gone at the end of the season. I have a feeling he won't and most of you should prepare for this, so that you don't freak out for nothing when he stays.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote