HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

David Rundblad talk

Old
01-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Kaibur

vCash: 500
He's made a pretty good chunk of change staying up for half the season and he's got a good look at where his weaknesses are at the NHL level. I wouldn't mind him getting a couple more games in the next two weeks, particularly against weaker opponents - maybe the Isles and Jackets games. That should give everyone a good idea of what he needs to work on to succeed as a daily player on our defensive corps. If he needs to go down for a 15 games like OEL did last year thereafter, I'd be pretty comfortable with that idea. It'll give him a chance to work on those little things on NA ice at a slightly slower pace. If we suffer any more injuries, I think both he and Summers are ready to serve as stop-gaps. Statistically, Mike Stone looks like he's doing pretty well in Portland too.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Magnifique

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeskog Rocks View Post
Cant blame a player like Rundblad for escaping AHL fate. I would.

Hopefully he will...
Yeah, it totally ruined OEL's career.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 02:27 PM
RafaNadal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes Persevere View Post
Yeah, it totally ruined OEL's career.

Word! AHL is a very good league to learn the NA game.

RafaNadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 02:47 PM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeskog Rocks View Post
Cant blame a player like Rundblad for escaping AHL fate. I would.

Hopefully he will...
Do you come here intentionally to make an arse of yourself?

doaner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 03:14 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 10639
It was actually rumoured here in Ottawa that Rundblad did not want to go to the AHL. But it was a rumour. It's still odd that he isn't playing and is being scratched...

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 03:16 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
It was actually rumoured here in Ottawa that Rundblad did not want to go to the AHL. But it was a rumour. It's still odd that he isn't playing and is being scratched...
I actually don't think it's odd at all. Organization wanted to give Playfair an opportunity to work with Rundblad. That was to be expected. He will get some playing time soon.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 03:24 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
It's still odd that he isn't playing and is being scratched...
His not playing doesn't come as a surprise. With Klesla, Rozsival, Aucoin, Yandle, OEL, Schlemko, Morris, we can't demote anyone and already have a rotating 7th D. So until either a trade or injury, Runsbald isn't going to see much action.

Runsbald being unwilling to go to the AHL would be a big problem since he needs to tighten up his defense on smaller rinks.

I can only imagine Maloney is working on a trade. Maybe Morris or Aucoin for a bag of pucks?

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Sounds like others are saying now that Ottawa really won the trade.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 03:30 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Sounds like others are saying now that Ottawa really won the trade.

In the short term definitely (as we all knew that any trade involving Turris for prospects and picks would be). Long-term, I'm not sold that Phoenix necessarily lost this one.

Old
01-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
In the short term definitely (as we all knew that any trade involving Turris for prospects and picks would be). Long-term, I'm not sold that Phoenix necessarily lost this one.
In the long run even if we do win this trade we could still be the losers in the long run since both Mueller and Turris have cried and whined their way out of Phoenix other prospects will think and will try to do the same. It could be better to just let Turris let his career rot or suck it up like a man and make the best while he was here.

Old
01-02-2012, 03:38 PM
_Del_

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...992/story.html

He's got four assists. Woohoo!

Turris can still become a top6 forward, but it's not like Rundblad has been given a lot of ice time to try to match that whopping four assist total. He is only three assists behind and he's only played 14 minutes, while Turris is picking up 18 minutes a night.
We'll know who actually wins this trade in a few years -- not after two weeks. For now, I still think we clearly won in the asset management sense.

_Del_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 03:41 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
In the long run even if we do win this trade we could still be the losers in the long run since both Mueller and Turris have cried and whined their way out of Phoenix other prospects will think and will try to do the same. It could be better to just let Turris let his career rot or suck it up like a man and make the best while he was here.
Maloney made his point with Turris. Turris has done enough damage to his reputation and career at this point. Maloney's job was to try to maximize value on a potential trade. Based on the comments of outrage at the time of the trade I believe Maloney accomplished just that. I saw a lot to like in Rundblad in his lone game. I've seen enough out of Turris over the last 3 years to believe that he may never reach the offensive potential that would have justified his selection as a 3rd overall pick.

Old
01-02-2012, 03:45 PM
PTmbp13

Big respect to Maloney. What a trade this can come out to be for Phoenix. Turris is a shadow, Rundblad COULD be and probably WILL be a huge differencemaker.

PTmbp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 04:49 PM
zerekstar

If Runblad has a good attitude, we won.

zerekstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerekstar View Post
this x100

Sindiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerekstar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
this x100
He can have a good attatude all he wants but he Runblad is career AHLer while Turris hangs on barley with Ottawa then Ottawa wins.

Also let us not forget the draft pick in all of this as well and how that pick pans out could derterime the winner or loser.

Old
01-03-2012, 12:23 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

With Torres suspended, I wish we'd dress seven D for a couple of games. Just let Rundblad play the PP. Better than dressing Bissonnette, right?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:44 AM
The Latvian
#rooster #classless

Came here to see what is going on with Rundblad. I've felt he needed to be in the AHL from the start of the season. I think that's the best move for him and I feel it will only happen eventually this season. I understand the yotes wanting their guys teaching him somethings first though.

Reading this thread has made me sad once again that he was traded.

The Latvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:10 AM
DesertDawg

just like Oliver last season, I don't think he needs the AHL to improve his skills, he is better off up here playing the 7th d role and watching and working with Playfair. When the decision for him to play every day then send him down to get some ice time first. Also it's a long season (compare to the SEL) and the Coyotes haven't reach the 1/2 way mark yet.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
just like Oliver last season, I don't think he needs the AHL to improve his skills, he is better off up here playing the 7th d role and watching and working with Playfair. When the decision for him to play every day then send him down to get some ice time first. Also it's a long season (compare to the SEL) and the Coyotes haven't reach the 1/2 way mark yet.
He needs to go to the AHL to get experience playing on the narrow rink since his defensive coverage is lacking. You can't improve your defense and acclimate to a rink size by watching. You have to play.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:21 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
He needs to go to the AHL to get experience playing on the narrow rink since his defensive coverage is lacking. You can't improve your defense and acclimate to a rink size by watching. You have to play.
It's not the watching right now that is important. It's the one on one time with Playfair. He's getting an education on how to play defense every day rather than having to strictly learn it from experience and through mistakes he makes during a game situation.

Last edited by hbk: 01-03-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old
01-03-2012, 11:55 AM
LaGu

Me thinks there are trolls in here.

Anyway, not that I am PHX fan but I'd take Rundblad and a second for Turris any day of the week and twice on Sunday. In the end (but this is just my opinion) it would be unfortunate if Rundblad doesn't manage to adapt to the NA game (although I think he will) but it doesn't matter. No trade is ever safe and especially when you trade prospects but if I would have to take calculated risk I would definitely do it on a player with the kind of abilities Rundblad has. Anyway, time will tell.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:03 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Blues fan here. I don't see a GDT yet, but wanted to ask: will we see Rundblad on the ice tonight? Its sounding like 'no'.

As an original Blues prospect (traded for Tarasenko) several of us have a healthy interest. I was pretty surprised he was traded, but haven't heard anything about him since then. From this thread it sounds like his defense is holding him back. If he having problems more with the speed of the NHL game, positioning? Is his strength adequate?

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:31 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Blues fan here. I don't see a GDT yet, but wanted to ask: will we see Rundblad on the ice tonight? Its sounding like 'no'.

As an original Blues prospect (traded for Tarasenko) several of us have a healthy interest. I was pretty surprised he was traded, but haven't heard anything about him since then. From this thread it sounds like his defense is holding him back. If he having problems more with the speed of the NHL game, positioning? Is his strength adequate?
Well we've only had one game to see him play so far. He needs to get used to the speed of the game and make quicker decisions with the puck. His offensive instincts look as advertised. He also needs to work on his defensive positioning and how to play effectively in a Dave Tippett system.

Old
01-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Cat Herder
Formerly BigSensFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post

He was not traded for Tarasenko ... he was traded for the pick that would become Tarasenko.

Cat Herder is offline   Reply With Quote