HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dissing Capt Cally

Old
01-03-2012, 12:44 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

vCash: 500

Callahan did a "chicken wing"... the call was correct.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:47 AM
Captain Monglobster

I wouldn't go so far as to call him a 'diver' but he is a very savvy player and knows how to get a call. When he feels a stick he might grip it between his arm and his ribs, if there is any contact up high he might throw his head back to make it more obvious.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:48 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Monglobster View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to call him a 'diver' but he is a very savvy player and knows how to get a call. When he feels a stick he might grip it between his arm and his ribs, if there is any contact up high he might throw his head back to make it more obvious.
and that's how I would describe a diver.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:54 AM
Captain Monglobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
and that's how I would describe a diver.
I wouldn't, because those are examples of embellishing a call instead of something like a stick goes by your face and you react like you got clipped.

Old
01-03-2012, 12:56 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Many players in the NHL throw their heads back if a stick is near it, because they know they might get a call.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:02 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Monglobster View Post
I wouldn't, because those are examples of embellishing a call instead of something like a stick goes by your face and you react like you got clipped.
ok, we have different definitions of what diving is an isn't. do you think one is better than the other though?

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:05 AM
Captain Monglobster

Quote:
ok, we have different definitions of what diving is an isn't. do you think one is better than the other though?
Yea to me there is a difference between creating a call and embellishing a call. There is no black and white difference in most cases which is why I just use my judgement when I see it.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:06 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 876
Quote:
There is a difference though. Diving is when you make it seem like another player infracted a penalty. Embellishing is when you make an actual penalty more noticeable (sp?). I don't like either one, but everyone seems to embellish, but diving is much more frowned upon.

01-03-2012, 01:17 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
He runs the goalie a lot and he's an accomplished diver. That's the extent of the issue.
Not sure if serious.....

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:49 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
perfect example this afternoon?? i refereed for quite a while and from the camera angle from the corner, even though callahan was hooked and the stick was in his chest, he sure grabbed onto it. i was surprised at 1st at the call but when i saw it from the other angle, it was a clear hold and he could have gotten a call for the hold or embellishment (i forgot the initial call) it even essentially almost blew the great comeback by the rangers. just because he wears a letter means nothing and he should get no more respect from the refs than any other player

it was 100% the correct call

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:59 AM
Nyrvana

if Callahan is a diver, he is terrible at it. I would have faked that so much better - fell on my butt like the guy just lassoed my neck then stayed on the ice for about 3 - 4 minutes.

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:01 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregNYR19 View Post
perfect example this afternoon?? i refereed for quite a while and from the camera angle from the corner, even though callahan was hooked and the stick was in his chest, he sure grabbed onto it. i was surprised at 1st at the call but when i saw it from the other angle, it was a clear hold and he could have gotten a call for the hold or embellishment (i forgot the initial call) it even essentially almost blew the great comeback by the rangers. just because he wears a letter means nothing and he should get no more respect from the refs than any other player

it was 100% the correct call
He was getting hooked around the neck.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:20 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
yeah, I really didn't anticipate that comment going over well, but I felt it needed to be said. I'm a huge fan of Callahan's game, but IMO he's a big-league diver. He could be a Penguin.

I don't have a big video list, or any statistical evidence, it's just my opinion of watching him the past 6 seasons. I think he's the top diver the Rangers have had during that time. I don't expect everyone to rally around me in support, just stating my opinion.
Uh, I don't really know how to respond to this other than to tell you to actually watch the games. The guy is always keeping his feet moving (the sign of a non-diver).

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:21 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
He was getting hooked around the neck.
I don't get what is so hard about this for some to understand.

I can see the fools on the main board who just hate the Rangers overlooking it. But our own fans? Give me a break. The guy had a stick around his neck/face area. If he doesn't "hold" it to try and get it off of him, it could slit his throat or cut up his face. The guy is tough, but no player in the NHL is expected to be THAT tough.

I mean, are some people on here TRYING to be biased against the Rangers to try and paint themselves as non-biased, or something? Is that a new trend?

Old
01-03-2012, 02:44 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I don't get what is so hard about this for some to understand.

I can see the fools on the main board who just hate the Rangers overlooking it. But our own fans? Give me a break. The guy had a stick around his neck/face area. If he doesn't "hold" it to try and get it off of him, it could slit his throat or cut up his face. The guy is tough, but no player in the NHL is expected to be THAT tough.

I mean, are some people on here TRYING to be biased against the Rangers to try and paint themselves as non-biased, or something? Is that a new trend?
It doesn't matter. He held on to the stick and that's all that matters. He deserved the penalty.

If a homeless person steals food, is it not stealing because he will die if he doesn't eat?

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:57 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Actually, the stick never got up that high. The hook happened on his elbow, and Cally pulled up, presumably to make it more visible. I don't like the call, but the argument isn't as strong as we thought it would be.

To be clear, I'm a massive fan of Cally. He plays a hardnosed, north south game, and he does it real clean. He tends to crash the net, and lately he's been getting more and more into scrums. I think he takes the leadership position very seriously, which includes protecting his teammates.

He's a serious class act player, who today made a mistake that's very unlike him. On the upside, his move to get around Timonen was pretty slick.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:58 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
It doesn't matter. He held on to the stick and that's all that matters. He deserved the penalty.

If a homeless person steals food, is it not stealing because he will die if he doesn't eat?
Poor analogy man. Would you send him to jail? You don't have to answer. My issue was it being called the way it was. I admit Cally could have handled it better.

Old
01-03-2012, 03:20 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post

Uh, it 100% matters. Unless we just want to see a guy get his throat slit just because.

Old
01-03-2012, 03:33 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Poor analogy man. Would you send him to jail? You don't have to answer. My issue was it being called the way it was. I admit Cally could have handled it better.
Would I send him to jail? No, but if he is still denying the fact he stole from my store, I'd think he's a moron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Uh, it 100% matters. Unless we just want to see a guy get his throat slit just because.
I obviously don't want his throat to get cut, that's why I have no problem with the penalty. The only problem I have is people saying it's not a penalty.

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:38 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

It's also a problem that the attitude of the reffing was "let 'em play" the entire game. Calls were missed left and right, and it wasn't outrageous because it was both sides. Last 4 minutes of the game, suddenly it's being called to an obscene extend, in the losing teams favor.

I think we all agree, any other day of the year, that call doesn't get made. Though it was stupid of Cally to him him the chance.

Old
01-03-2012, 04:31 AM
egelband

i'd say the refs in this league are generally poor. they need the embellishment sometimes or they miss penalties that must be called. like high-sticks to the face. maybe the stick just gets the player in the chin, but that's still very dangerous. of course, a guy falling over from a tap on the shins is pathetic. it all depends on the situation.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:35 AM
egelband

i thought cally was guilty of grabbing that stick. still doesn't mean the guy didn't hook him. but cally should have skated through. that was unnecessarily embellished. maybe the ref should have just let the play go.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:41 AM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

If you watch the replay I don't get how you don't agree with the call. He clearly grabbed the stick in. I am usually a big homer but this is pretty obvious. I am not sure on the rules where maybe he still should have been awarded a goal. Either way they won, and they did both deserve minors in that play towards the end of the day.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:10 AM
truebluegoalie

He held the stick, its an obvious penalty. What I hate is that:
1. Players always do this and it is almost never called, don't know why it was called there. Wasn't because of the empty net, the ref could have simply said cally wasn't in the clear and only called the hook.
2. They were letting everything go up until that point so why call that?

Baffling.

Oh, and on topic, I don't think Callahan gets disrespect from the refs, as someone else mentioned look at Morrow, great captain and player in my opinion. I think it is just his game style, and he is certainly not a diver.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:18 AM
YoungD4

Question is. Why would he dive with an open net to ice the game?

YoungD4 is offline   Reply With Quote