HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you satisfied with Richards thus far?

Old
01-03-2012, 02:03 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

vCash: 500
Very satisfied. A clutch player, and will have around 70 points at years end. He brings a whole new dynamic to the team. Stepan wouldn't be the player he is now if it wasnt for Richards, he adds more than a one line threat, he has helped guys like Del Zotto. Just a great presence for the team, and he is a huge reason why they're first in the NHL.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:40 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Brad Richards doesn't always show up to a hockey game.

But when he does, he wins the god damn thing.

He is......

The most enigmatic player in the world.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:18 AM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

People need to stop expecting the 90 point Brad Richards. I can name the number of players one one hand that I've seen score 90 or more points playing on a 2nd line, and the last one I remember doing it did it 15 years ago. His name was Ron Francis.

If Richards is going to score 70 points on our 2nd line, sign me up for that now. I'll admit that I'm disappointed that he's not playing with Gaborik and scoring 90-100 points and setting up Marian for 50-55 goals, but this team is better with this guy on the 2nd line.

Oh, and to whoever said Callahan is doing just as much as Richards and being paid less, Callahan wouldn't be scoring like he is if it wasn't for Richards. Just remember that.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:21 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
6 GWG not even halfway into the season. Coupled with great developmental work (Stepan, Del Zotto, etc). This guy has been a revelation for our younger players. And he's backing it up on the ice.

I'll go with yes.

01-03-2012, 05:08 AM
Ola

I am satisfied with him and I think he has been exactly what I expected from him.

His point-totals are low because he is not getting many of them from when playing the PP, and that is not his fault. He clearly lacks a playmaker down low to work with when on the PP, and we just do not have that player in our system. Look, Richards, nor many other players in this league, will not score 80 pts unless playing on a great PP. And Richards alone can't make a PP work if the other players on the ice don't get how the PP should be run, and Gabby just don't do that and if you take Gabby of Richards PP unit you get about as much talent on it that our PP% indicates.

Richards is what he is. I looked back on what I posted on him in July, and this is what I thought of him then:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Somewhere around top 12-20.

Physically weak in his own end, struggles at getting the puck up ice, but has top 5 offensive instincts, maybe even top 3 (behind Sid and Malkin). Very good shot. Good PP work.

It depends and what his team needs. On a weaker team, BR can be a non factor for 60 minutes save like a couple of nifty plays. In that regard he is behind plenty of centers who is more of a force every shift; gets his team up ice, can wear a elite center on the other team down etc. That's not Brad Richards. He ranks low in that regard. But for a team like ours who need a PP and someone who can make 25-30 goal scores take another step -- he is more important.
I didn't expect him to work out with Gabby:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=930055&page=2
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by markman34 View Post
Most of you know by now that the Rangers are in the hunt for Brad Richards. He really is what our team needs at the current moment a true number one center, but do you think he will improve Marian Gaborik's production? And if he will, what range will we expect Gaborik's numbers to be next seasosn.

I'm also not sold on this because of Richards' age. He may help production early on, but he will definitely want a long term contract so I expect the production of both players to begin to slump in a few seasons.
Look, seriously, do not bet your mom on it.

If you are old enough, just think of like Gretzky and Brett Hull's short stint together. They did not work well together at all.

Both Richards and Gabby thrive by being "the man" in lack of better words on their line. Like two kids in Eriksson and Neal, who are good players, are the perfect fit for someone like BR. He needs to be able to play the game his way and his way only. And it aint anything wrong with his way, so thats not a problem.

But think of Nylander and Jagr who really worked extremely well together, while Gomez and JJ worked extremely bad. Of course Nyls was not a lot better player then Gomez, the difference was that Nyls was 250% prepaired to be Jaromir Jagrs biatch. He was prepaired to be it 60/24/7/365. He was prepaired to let the plastic surgeon put him to sleep while giving JJ carte blanche in terms of what surgerys that were to be made. You get the point.

JJ could be the man, and he had a talented player in Nyls doing everything and anything he wanted. Gomez understood that JJ was the man alright, but he wouldn't be his *****.

In order for a player like Gabby to score 40-45 goals, you need to let him try his shots all the time, you need to try to find him all the time et c.

A player like Richards needs to -- all the time -- be in control of where the puck should be distributed on the ice. BR's strength is doing a lot with little so to speak. He is the type who with his timing more then anything get like 10% extra out of a low percentage play if you get what I mean.

Natrually Richards has the abilities that would help Gabby and Gabby could finnish BR's passes. But I would not at all be suprised if we saw the two on different lines before we know it 5 on 5.
In the end I think we need to get players that can work with BR on the PP. We especially need a right handed shot and a left handed playmaker who can work with BR down low. Or find some setup that works. He'll be fine.

This summer I was very scared that BR was going to be signed to be our "Crosby". Like 8-9m per. We got him below 7m. Thats acceptable, but the years were certainly long.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:17 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Team is relatively the same as last year yet significantly better......Yes I am satisfied with Richie..

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:41 AM
YoungD4

Way I look at it is, Richards is on the best team in NHL and they weren't a year before.
End of story

YoungD4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Yellot00tr

Yes, however, I know everyone is saying how much of a better season we're having compared to last year and pointing at BR as one of the main reasons, but what about the season Gaborik's having? He's having a monster year in comparison to last year. He's gotta be a big part of the reason that we're so much better this year. Having BR score a bunch of game winners is def not hurting, nor is his leadership on and off the ice. From all accounts, BR is the consummate professional and teammate, which will def help guys like Stepan out.

Yellot00tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

As stated in some previous posts: BR's contribution has come in the form of balanced scoring. You can key on the GAS line, or you can key on the Richard's line, but you most likely can't key on both.

Plus he seems to have a knack for finding a way to score "big" goals.

Winning is what matters, so if the benefit of BR being here is that we are finding ways to win, then I don't care so muc about individual stats.

01-03-2012, 11:39 AM
allstar3970

I think what Brad has done for DZ and Stepan is being underrepresented in this thread. Del Zotto and him are neighbors and him and Steps have talked constantly about the help he's provided them.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:49 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungD4 View Post
Way I look at it is, Richards is on the best team in NHL and they weren't a year before.
End of story
Yup...the Rangers go from a team that got into the last playoff spot on the final day of the season, to a team with the best record in the league, (and the least amount of regulation losses), and Richards is the big off-season acquisition...yeah, I'd say he's had a hand in that.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:37 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
People need to stop expecting the 90 point Brad Richards. I can name the number of players one one hand that I've seen score 90 or more points playing on a 2nd line, and the last one I remember doing it did it 15 years ago. His name was Ron Francis.

If Richards is going to score 70 points on our 2nd line, sign me up for that now. I'll admit that I'm disappointed that he's not playing with Gaborik and scoring 90-100 points and setting up Marian for 50-55 goals, but this team is better with this guy on the 2nd line.

Oh, and to whoever said Callahan is doing just as much as Richards and being paid less, Callahan wouldn't be scoring like he is if it wasn't for Richards. Just remember that.
Good post. Torts has this playing hard and believing in his system. Some credit has to be given to Richards for being a professional by playing on the 2nd line and thus not having the shiny stats that he was brought here to be the first line center on a line with Gaborik.

Richards also has probably been a HUGE mentor for Stepan. This is a perfect situation for Stepan to watch and learn from a true professional in Richards.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote