HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-12 All Purpose Kings Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
We've signed some solid free agent defensive talent. High end offensive talent is another story obviously Hopefully we make the postseason and get past the first round this year. Once we start experiencing success, sooner or later you would have to think that we could sign somebody...

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Old
01-02-2012, 07:44 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
We've signed some solid free agent defensive talent. High end offensive talent is another story obviously Hopefully we make the postseason and get past the first round this year. Once we start experiencing success, sooner or later you would have to think that we could sign somebody...
That's one of the biggest disagreements I have had with Lombardi. I can appreciate wanting to build from the net out, but the Kings have had a relatively easy time landing the quiet, but solid defensive d-men in UFA. It's harder to land the high end offensive talent; which the Kings have very rarely had skill in drafting/developing.

Old
01-02-2012, 08:45 PM
itstheo54

Quote:
He's certainly a proven goal scorer and pairing him with Richards would be amazing. If only he didn't sign that long term deal, picking him up in free agency would be the easiest thing ever, but of course, if he didn't sign that deal, we wouldn't have Richards for such a steal of a price for eternity...

I would absolutely love Carter on this team, but I don't know if we are willing to shell out the price to get him. It depends on how the Jackets see themselves. They thought they were going to compete this year. Are they going to sell Carter and Nash and rebuild? Or are they going to continue looking to tweak their roster in order to compete? They have a goalie that has been shaky, but has shown he can play extremely well in the past, some good pieces on defense, and an offensively capable forward group. It all matters on what management thinks.

If they are willing to accept what they dished out for him (prospects and picks), then sure, but if they are looking for proven pieces to add to their core, then the price will be too high.
I would easily Give up Loktionov, a 1st, maybe forbort/muzzin/martinez/Voynov and another prospect for him.

Old
01-02-2012, 09:06 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Is this a good trade or a horrible NHL12 type trade?

To LA:
Tuomo Ruutu
Chad Larose

To Carolina:
Dustin Penner
Alec Martinez
4th round pick

Old
01-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenKing18 View Post

To LA:
Tuomo Ruutu
Chad Larose

To Carolina:
Dustin Penner
Alec Martinez
4th round pick

I think Carolina would want a little more quality than that. Probably something a little better than Penner and a probably a higher pick.

Old
01-03-2012, 09:29 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
I wouldn't mind Nash. He is overrated, but at the same time, he is slightly underrated I think he can do a lot more than what he has done in Columbus, but at the same time, he isn't the superpower he has been made out to be in the past.

His cap hit is high, but so was Brad Richards and that didn't stop us from going after him. It is comparable to Gaborik's and many of us thought Dean should have shelled out for him, who is now on pace for 51 goals. Nash is one of the best power forwards in the game and he guarantees goals. It is hard to imagine him not meshing well with Kopitar.
Nash is overrated and overrated. There's nothing underrated about him, especially his price on these boards. Nash continues to get kudos for production, even though it's tailed off to the point now where he is on pace for 26 goals this year. I'd gladly pay his cap space for Gaborik and his 51 goal pace. 26 goals is hardly a "guarantee" and not something I'd pay that cap hit for.

I like Nash, but at his cap hit and his average production over his career of 35 goals and 67 points per season, I wouldn't pay what some of you are suggesting. I could see a 1st, a good prospect (Voynov) and maybe something else, but some of the prices I've seen on here are absolutely insane and would see us adding a guy like Brown or Johnson to a package like that. Pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Doughty View Post
I could see interest from LA in Prospal too. Top 6 winger and their leading scorer. But that is assuming Carter, Nash, and Umberger are not going to be in LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Too old. 37 years young.

People are complaining so much about stop gaps....Prospal would be just that. We need a young wing that we can develop or a prime aged winger who already has had proven success.
I agree with Moses Doughty. I'd be all for Prospal. And we don't need to go for a long-term solution every time IMO. Prospal at the deadline could be had for a 2nd and would provide us some offensive depth and experience. Frankly I was hoping we'd get him in the summer at that cap hit. He's not ideal, as we need a shoot first type of guy and that's not Vinny, but we do far worse than to add someone like him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Both Etem and Campbell were on the Under-18 National team before they went to Juniors, so yes your point about it being political still applies just with 100% accuracy now
But yeah Canada is even more political than the US is with all of the juniors people and money that is involved.
Disagree. I'm sure there is always some favoritism to players the coaching staff is familiar with, but you go with the roster you think will win it for you. Toffoli just didn't make it, it had nothing to do with politics. The two NHLers getting sent back didn't help Toffoli, but he should have made the team. He didn't. His issue to deal with and let's see how he reacts to it.

Old
01-03-2012, 09:54 AM
funky

Right now trying to get Ruutu early makes the most sense. He plays Sutter style hockey, plays either wing which would be very valuable on this team, and has skill to score in the vicinity of 60 points and hit 300.

We have half a season to evaluate him and convince him to stay. Other then the Elite Parise next year, Ruutu will be one of the top free agents. His production will replace what Penner was suppose to bring, but bring grit as well

Old
01-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Whiskeypete

Quote:

To LA:
Tuomo Ruutu
Chad Larose

To Carolina:
Dustin Penner
Alec Martinez
4th round pick

my guess is it would take more to do this deal. i still would like to see Gleason added also into the mix, but that depends on what they do next year with Scuds and Willie long-term. also seems as though BFF has turned to Greene and is leaning on him for leadership, which leads me to believe he isn't going anyplace like some wish and have speculated. Fox was commenting last night about this and how Sutter is having Greene essentially mentor JJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
Right now trying to get Ruutu early makes the most sense. He plays Sutter style hockey, plays either wing which would be very valuable on this team, and has skill to score in the vicinity of 60 points and hit 300.

We have half a season to evaluate him and convince him to stay. Other then the Elite Parise next year, Ruutu will be one of the top free agents. His production will replace what Penner was suppose to bring, but bring grit as well
Ruutu would be a major upgrade over Penner. watching him play just kills me. i don't understand how somebody with his size, skill and ice time just CANNOT be effective. he is never strong on the puck, or off of it. he just floats, that is the best description i can make about him. floats around, looking for a pass or turnover. the guy is a day late and dollar short on every shift.

Old
01-03-2012, 11:24 AM
SFKingshomer

The Canes have plenty of young puck movers so they won't be interested in Martinez, Hickey, etc. I'm sure they would ask for Loktionov...

Old
01-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstheo54 View Post
I would easily Give up Loktionov, a 1st, maybe forbort/muzzin/martinez/Voynov and another prospect for him.
WAY, WAY too much of our future for the 27th center in the system?

We should just concentrate on getting a couple or three "elite" wing prospects from other team's prospect pools (D prospect for W prospect) for our system and go from there. IF a solid wing is available then we look at that deal. Otherwise we need a solid, vet, sandpaper 3rd or 4th line wing (Rutuu - something in that range).

Elite wingers are very rare in the NHL in its current state of play. Those players are not going to be available easily and we don't need another top ten center. We need a wing. So let's focus on that.

Old
01-03-2012, 11:48 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:

To LA:
Tuomo Ruutu
Chad Larose

To Carolina:
Dustin Penner
Alec Martinez
4th round pick

Why would canes do this?

Ruutu will be a hot commodity come trade deadline and anyone suitors will have to overpay.

Old
01-03-2012, 12:21 PM
funky

Ruutu would cost Loktionov and a 2nd - and be worth it

Its after Jan 1 - time to re-up Mitchell

Old
01-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post

I agree with Moses Doughty. I'd be all for Prospal. And we don't need to go for a long-term solution every time IMO. Prospal at the deadline could be had for a 2nd and would provide us some offensive depth and experience. Frankly I was hoping we'd get him in the summer at that cap hit. He's not ideal, as we need a shoot first type of guy and that's not Vinny, but we do far worse than to add someone like him.

a 2nd is a lot to give up imo for a 37 year old Prospal who is on pace or about 15 goals this year.

Remember how Freddy Modin worked out?

Old
01-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Ruutu would cost Loktionov and a 2nd - and be worth it

Its after Jan 1 - time to re-up Mitchell
Loktionov should stay in our system.

Old
01-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Nash is overrated and overrated. There's nothing underrated about him, especially his price on these boards. Nash continues to get kudos for production, even though it's tailed off to the point now where he is on pace for 26 goals this year. I'd gladly pay his cap space for Gaborik and his 51 goal pace. 26 goals is hardly a "guarantee" and not something I'd pay that cap hit for.

I like Nash, but at his cap hit and his average production over his career of 35 goals and 67 points per season, I wouldn't pay what some of you are suggesting. I could see a 1st, a good prospect (Voynov) and maybe something else, but some of the prices I've seen on here are absolutely insane and would see us adding a guy like Brown or Johnson to a package like that. Pass.
Put him on the Penguins, Red Wings, Canucks, Blackhawks, Flyers, etc... And then tell me how overrated he is. Putting up 26 goals on the worst team in the NHL is not a walk in the park. I say he is both because he isn't a superstar forward that can do everything. He is pretty one dimensional. But he is also easily one of the top 5 power forwards in the game, and he could put up a 30-40 goal campaign with better talent and support around him, so he isn't just some 20 goal scorer (maybe on this team he is...), on a competent team he is actually very lethal.

Old
01-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Put him on the Penguins, Red Wings, Canucks, Blackhawks, Flyers, etc... And then tell me how overrated he is. Putting up 26 goals on the worst team in the NHL is not a walk in the park. I say he is both because he isn't a superstar forward that can do everything. He is pretty one dimensional. But he is also easily one of the top 5 power forwards in the game, and he could put up a 30-40 goal campaign with better talent and support around him, so he isn't just some 20 goal scorer (maybe on this team he is...), on a competent team he is actually very lethal.
So wait a minute...

I don't get the logic on this board. (not calling you out Telos just using your post to point out something)

People say that Moulson only scores 30 goals a year (and is on pace for 40) because he is on a bad team, and it's easy to score on a bad team.

But you say Nash (who is on pace for 26 goals) is not scoring because he is on a bad team.

Soooo which is it?

Old
01-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
So wait a minute...

I don't get the logic on this board. (not calling you out Telos just using your post to point out something)

People say that Moulson only scores 30 goals a year (and is on pace for 40) because he is on a bad team, and it's easy to score on a bad team.

But you say Nash (who is on pace for 26 goals) is not scoring because he is on a bad team.

Soooo which is it?
Depends on a team, but I never said that Moulson was scoring because he was on a bad team, so I will take my crack at the argument.

It can be harder for a star to score on a terrible team as they have to do everything themselves against the toughest opponents on every opposing team (but for them to continuously produce at a good clip of 20+ goals and 50+ points can be a mark of adversity). It can be easier for an average player to score more as the team likely has less skill and depth and they are put in a more prominent scoring role, where they may not be capable of scoring at a high clip otherwise, but they sort of ride the wave and being out there long enough in critical situations the points will eventually come.

It would be like if we traded Richardson back to Colorado and they paired him up on the top line permanently with Matt Duchene and he puts up 30 goals and 50 points all of a sudden. Also, on the other side of things, let's say they are a lottery team, and Duchene still puts up 25 goals and 60+ points... Richardson greatly benefits from sitting on Duchene's wing and soaking up points and getting very opportunistic passes with a lot of space as everyone is focused on Duchene. Duchene also benefits because he is out there against top talent with someone like Richardson and he is still getting the job done despite losing immensely, he is putting up the points and making his teammates better.

It depends on the team and the situation. But if Richardson was traded to the Flyers, it would be a different story (they aren't going to put up with allowing him to bumble about and play stopgap on the first line) and he would be buried in the lineup and struggle, and if Duchene was traded to like Chicago and given wings like Kane, Hossa, and Sharp, he would be putting up gigantic numbers.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:57 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
a 2nd is a lot to give up imo for a 37 year old Prospal who is on pace or about 15 goals this year.

Remember how Freddy Modin worked out?
Prospal isn't Modin, and Modin didn't cost a 2nd, for good reason. We got Modin for basically a 2-for-1 coupon to DQ because no one wanted him. Prospal might only be on pace for 15 goals, but he's on pace for 56 points too, which would be second on the Kings.

As I said, he's not my ideal choice, I'd rather get a goalscorer, but if we gave up a pick for Prospal, I wouldn't be upset (as long as it wasn't a 1st).

Quote:
Funny. He was on the same piss poor team the last several years and has scored at a higher clip every year but his rookie year. He finally gets someone (Carter) to take the pressure off him, and he's on pace for arguably his worst season.

Maybe Nash's one dimensional play is catching up to him and he's not scoring because he's overrated?

Like I said, I like him, but at that cap hit and the way he's producing, not to mention the inflated price it would take to get him, pass. We rag on guys enough here for not scoring. He has a cap hit double what any of our wingers has and isn't scoring enough. Why gut the team for that?

Overrated.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:37 PM
funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Loktionov should stay in our system.
I like the kid, but I like Kopitar Richards as 1 -2 punch. Both signed long term. Loktionov not effective on wing. I would move him in a heartbeat if the price was right. Especially if it filled a hole like scoring winger.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:42 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
It's just not going to happen. Vancouver and San Jose have been as good as anyone, and nobody goes there. Western teams get high end offensive talent through the draft or trades. Free agency is for the overpaid role players.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:42 PM
cheap77
Go Kings!

We need a scoring winger now. I don't think it matters how he fits in our system... We just need someone that can consistently put the puck in the net.

Old
01-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Nash is very tough to gauge at this point. plays on a crap team, with little depth. he ends up playing against the other teams best defensive forwards and D every night, but still produces. put him on a team with some depth and suddenly things quickly change. it's the same as MR coming to LA. suddenly teams are faced with who to cover with their best D line-up, MR or Kopi?

think back to the VAN olympics. Nash was a beast. granted the lineup he was on wasn't even all-star, more like the all-universe team. put Nash on a team with good depth where he gets some room and the guy can single handedly destroy a team. in the olympics the guy was everywhere on the ice. playing the entire 200 feet, scoring, passing, and blowing guys up on the fore/back check.

after the olympics i had a huge hard-on everytime LA was rumored to be scouting Nash. having him on either Kopi or MR's wing would be just outright nasty. someone that can actually shoot and score. someone big and can take the body just like DB. suddenly now LA has a 1A - 1B combo of C & RW, which would take pressure off the LW on both lines. to the point they guy would likely be roaming unchecked a good chunk of time, because of the double teams the other would pull

Old
01-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopi11 View Post
We need a scoring winger now. I don't think it matters how he fits in our system... We just need someone that can consistently put the puck in the net.
Why would the next "scoring winger" be different than Williams, Penner and Gagne for LA? Brown is barely on pace for 20 goals this year. Kopitar is down too.

Kovalchuk is on pace for 28 goals. Parise is also on pace for 28 goals.

Would they be scoring more goals in LA? Probably not.

Which "scoring winger" is available that would perform in LA? No one knows the answer to this question, Dean has tried to find that winger and has 3 underforming wingers on the roster already.

I also don't see very many people asking for the $6 million man anymore. He's on pace for 18 goals.

Maybe Dean should trade for Smyth, he's on pace for 32 goals.

Old
01-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Monarchist

Quote:
I like the kid, but I like Kopitar Richards as 1 -2 punch. Both signed long term. Loktionov not effective on wing. I would move him in a heartbeat if the price was right. Especially if it filled a hole like scoring winger.
Those are two of the best two way centers in the game. We don't *need* to have a traditional setup of forwards, with top 6/bottom 6, a third line to shut down opposing first lines via Handzus type players.

It's time to think outside of the box and have the third line be the pure scoring line that gets offensive zone starts and avoids opposing top lines. I'm happy to have Kopitar or Richards match up against anyone in the league in a faceoff winning, defensive role, and then they have the skill to transition. The 'yuck line" of Richardson-Loktionov-Lewis gives opposing teams a super-fast line to try and adjust against. I like it. It's not like the problem is too many scoring lines...

Old
01-03-2012, 03:10 PM
sjmay*

I still think you guys have seen your new scoring winger the past two games....

Richards on Kopitar's wing,

The other two lines have shown they can play hard and get results, I think it stays status quo....

Closed Thread