HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

What does Bryz have to do before we believe in him again?

Old
01-03-2012, 07:50 AM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
He needs to start playing hockey. Something he hasn't done this season. A yeah, shut he **** up would be a good idea.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:28 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Luckily, it's not necessary for "us" to "believe in" him.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:36 AM
Suspended4Life

I don't really think he's even that funny...it's just that he says dumb things with a Russian accent.

Like everyone else here has said, he needs to start winning games for the team...like win a game that we had no business winning. Steal a game for crying out loud. Like Hank's done at least 3 times this season for the Rangers.

And a shut-out would be nice too. Start showing everyone he cares. I've heard from "experts" that he can be the great goalie that Holmgren and Co. believed him to be. I didn't know that much about him until he came here so I don't have an opinion on that. I hope the experts are right cause we're locked in with this guy for a looooong time.

If I was Laviolette, I'd start him the next three games in a row no matter how bad he was the games before. After that, if he hasn't proven his worth, pass the torch to Bob and let Bryz think about (and WORK on) his game for a while.

Suspended4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:01 AM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
I think at this point, you just need to play him and hope he turns it around. I don't think there's any special thing that Lavi or Reese can say or do to Bryz to get him turned around. It's on him to get going. Let him battle through it and get that confidence up. We're going to need him if we're going to compete at all in the playoffs. We don't need him looking over his shoulder come playoff time.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:24 AM
McNasty

He needs to stop being the reason why we lose games to start. Ideally he can win a few for us but let's at least get him on the level of an average QB. Manage the game and don't give up the easy goals, build off of that.

McNasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Bryz has been given more than ample time to "get going."

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Left Circle OneTimer

2 straight shutouts.

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:47 AM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspended4Life View Post
If I was Laviolette, I'd start him the next three games in a row no matter how bad he was the games before.
I agree with this. He needs to be given the ability to start numerous games in a row without having to worry if Bob will get to play if he stinks it up. Let him try to get some consistency going.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
I agree with this. He needs to be given the ability to start numerous games in a row without having to worry if Bob will get to play if he stinks it up. Let him try to get some consistency going.
I don't know. The Canucks approach with Luongo seemed to work better. He was worse than Bryz the start of the season (87% if im remembering correctly) and they sat him for about 5-8 straight games and since he has a save % over .940 in about 15 games.

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

I never really stopped believing in him. Last year proved that Bob wasn't ready, by playoff time, to be the starter yet. Yesterday's game, in which Bryz should have been playing, proved that Bob isn't quite ready yet. Which is OK. On his original developmental curve, Bob should have been in the AHL last year, then acting as Flyer backup this year. He's going great at it, but Bryz is the start.

Bryz will be fine, he just needs to keep working hard at his game and success will come.

His comment that he's 'thinking too much' is key. As a former goalie, I can tell you that you need to react, not overthink.

He's struggled at times this year, but also had a lot of bad luck, and don't forget his winning streaks - he's been unbeatable for stretches. He just needs to get a lion's share of the workload in January, start another winning streak and get back into a rhythm.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Suspended4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I never really stopped believing in him. Last year proved that Bob wasn't ready, by playoff time, to be the starter yet. Yesterday's game, in which Bryz should have been playing, proved that Bob isn't quite ready yet. Which is OK. On his original developmental curve, Bob should have been in the AHL last year, then acting as Flyer backup this year. He's going great at it, but Bryz is the start.

Bryz will be fine, he just needs to keep working hard at his game and success will come.

His comment that he's 'thinking too much' is key. As a former goalie, I can tell you that you need to react, not overthink.

He's struggled at times this year, but also had a lot of bad luck, and don't forget his winning streaks - he's been unbeatable for stretches. He just needs to get a lion's share of the workload in January, start another winning streak and get back into a rhythm.
I agree but for some reason I don't think Lavy feels quite the same way. I do hope they buckle down though and start making a decision either way. Everyone keeps saying the season is young but we're almost half way through. Pretty soon we need to start deciding who our #1 is going to be come playoff time. Avoiding the debackle in last year's playoffs should be the focus.

Suspended4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:18 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Nothing. He's a good goalie who has been playing bad and has had some bad luck to boot. I doubt a quality goalie like Bryz all of the sudden becomes worse than Michael Leighton. He may be in a slump and it may even continue, but I just can't see him playing like this for the duration of his contract. He'll rebound eventually. It still won't be good enough for some people, but I don't see him posting these numbers for the next ten years.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

People keep mentioning that the "great" defensive system that they played in phoenix. Bryz was exceptional on a really bad team, he bailed the team out night after night. I really took notice last year when it looked like he wasn't going to be resigned.

While phoenix did infact play a defensive system, bryz was the main part that made it successful. Ask honest fans and they will tell you that. For the flyers, he just has to get back to what he does best. Stopping the first shot. It's up to the defense to get the puck out of the way once he has done that. Look at the Rangers, there wasn't a flyer within 10 yards of a rebound.

He will get there. I still have the faith that towards the end of this season he is going to be amazing. When the games get tighter, and the defense starts bucking up their idea's he's going to shine.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Swiper the Fox

had we got vokun for 1 million, our expectations would not be so high
but since he is getting 10 plus million this year, we expect him to stop damn near everything.

so, is the problem with bryz or is the problem with OUR expectations being too high

either way
would be nice to see a shutout sometime soon and / or

stop the stoppable shots and at least 'try' to make a save on the so called almost unstoppable ones

to me, he does seem to care when he is in the net.
he is just there
if he stops it , he stops it
if not, oh well type of attitude

with bob, you can see he tries hard but for whatever reason
he lets in weak shots ( at least 2 per game lately)

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:19 PM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiper the Fox View Post
but since he is getting 10 plus million this year, we expect him to stop damn near everything.

so, is the problem with bryz or is the problem with OUR expectations being too high

either way

stop the stoppable shots and at least 'try' to make a save on the so called almost unstoppable ones

he is just there

I hope you mean that Bryz is overwhelmed by the situation and that we put too much pressure on him, because one can definitely expect more than 0.89% and 3.01GAA from a starting goaltender on a playoff team. Very reasonable expectations!

dats81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:26 PM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
Bryz needs to follow Bob's example. Don't talk to the media, work with Reese a lot. Bob is always the last one to leave practice and I think the older Russian should follow the younger Russian's way of doing things.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:23 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Play with the same intensity Lavi demands of everyone else. If he were truly focused, and playing with intensity, he would be fine. He has top flight talent.

"Don't worry, the universe is so big, just be happy. Take it easy."

Isn't the same message Lavi is preaching, which is more akin to:

"Every shift is beyond important. You need to play your heart out and come back to the bench exhausted, reload, and put your foot on the *(@#(*in gas very next shift. 10,000 mph."

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:48 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Play with the same intensity Lavi demands of everyone else. If he were truly focused, and playing with intensity, he would be fine. He has top flight talent.

"Don't worry, the universe is so big, just be happy. Take it easy."

Isn't the same message Lavi is preaching, which is more akin to:

"Every shift is beyond important. You need to play your heart out and come back to the bench exhausted, reload, and put your foot on the *(@#(*in gas very next shift. 10,000 mph."
As soon as the position players start doing this ill hold the goalies to the same standard.

Right now, in our own end, guys like to skate around and watch the puck. Then it ends up on a wide open opponent and in the back of the net.

IMO in our end, if you don't have the puck your mind set should be "whos life am I going to make miserable"...rather than "ohh, nice daisies".

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:54 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

change his name to tim thomas

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
Bryz needs to follow Bob's example. Don't talk to the media, work with Reese a lot. Bob is always the last one to leave practice and I think the older Russian should follow the younger Russian's way of doing things.

1000% agreed..

Bob's work ethic has and prolly will never be in question..

apparently he was really upset with himself after the WC, and waited till the entire team left before calming down enuf to chat.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 02:03 PM
onlylordsvsmorebp
grossmansmash

bobrovsky equipment

i know bob works hard but in games hes like the "incredible shrinking goalie"-when i first saw him play i could not believe he was 6ft tall because he looked so small in the net! he crouches til it looks like there is two feet of space between his head and the crossbar!if your going to go down in the butterfly at least keep your torso erect and square to the shooter! my main point is that i really believe he could help himself and his game just by changing his equipment-not his pads and gloves but his upper body gear.he looks like a forward from the waist up! he has big shoulders on his chest protector but nothing from there down-look at tim thomas,in a tshirt he has a medium build but in his equipment he looks like a sumo wrestler! he takes up so much net it looks like there is no where to shoot because there isnt any! and he very rarely gets beat 6 or 7 hole-whereas bob gets beat there all the time! for example in winnepeg where we got beat 5-2 just about every goal went right thru him- right between his arms and his body! he does a lot of things right but it means nothing if the puck dribbles thru you-just like it did again for that weak goal in the winter classic game!i wish jeff reese would go downtown and buy him a big ass tim thomas belly pad!

onlylordsvsmorebp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 02:14 PM
JonnyGaloshes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
I don't know about Reese...

For all the work he's done with Bob, the same issues keep coming up (can't hug a post, weak on bad angle shots, confusing butterfly with fetal position, etc).

What's his deal with this organization? Is he untouchable?

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 02:27 PM
onlylordsvsmorebp
grossmansmash

i agree-both goalies are having huge problems with fundamental COACHABLE technique issues-you have to wonder when there is zero improvement-how long has reese been with the flyers?with the money bryz is stealing he should pay for burke to come over and help him! maybe that would help!

onlylordsvsmorebp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiper the Fox View Post

either way

he is just there

I'm pretty sure its the complete opposite. If anything he is way too hard on himself, and has problems forgetting weak goals. The first thing I noticed about him this year was his body language after a goal. He slumped over like he was completely disappointed in himself.

You don't look as dejected and pissed off as he does after a bad game if you don't care. You don't pound your stick on the ice, or say you were horrible after a game if you don't care.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Play well..
Came in here to post this verbatim.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote