HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Craig Custance-Rangers suited for long-term success

Old
01-03-2012, 08:06 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Craig Custance-Rangers suited for long-term success

ESPN Insider Craig Custance compared the Rangers and Flyers. Rangers are better built for long term success than the Flyers. The talent is even. Flyers have the edge up front. A push on D. The goaltending is no contest.

Brad Richards said he is still getting comfortable with the Rangers. The core group has been together for a while and Richards is just getting started to know them. Those guys know each other very well. Richards said he will be even better next year after having played with the group for an entire season.

The Rangers win out here

Quote:
Intangibles: The Rangers have a captain in Ryan Callahan that 29 other NHL teams would be thrilled to have leading their team. He's kind of like an American Jonathan Toews. "He's proven to come in and be a role model and the example of what a pro is all about. Day in and day out, on the ice and off the ice, he's an example to follow that the players look up to," said Mark Messier. "He's very even in his demeanor. Consistent. That's what you need to be a leader. He's come in and stepped into a tough position to lead the New York Rangers and do a good job."

The Rangers benefit from cultivating homegrown talent, the kind that tends to find an extra gear when things get tight. "If you can get a group of young players who have come through the system together and learn the game, learn how to be a pro all together and that are the focus and nucleus of the team, it's a huge advantage," Messier said. "Huge advantage." The Flyers don't necessarily have that, with many of their key young players coming from other organizations but a common goal has bonded this group fairly quickly. "That's the unique thing about hockey players. When it comes down to it, we're pretty much similar to each other," said Harry Zolnierczyk. "Whether you played in New York, played in Philly, played in L.A. or played in Columbus, once you come together and you're on one team, you're all trying to accomplish the one thing and that's to win a Stanley Cup."

Edge: Rangers. Paul Holmgren deserves a ton of credit for taking the risks necessary to fix chemistry issues on his team but the tight-knit Rangers have a bond forged over years of development together.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story...winter-classic

The Rangers room for growth up front with Chris Kreider. The Rangers young D have room for growth. The Flyers have to re-sign Carle(group III in July).

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:14 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Im glad others are taking notice.

This team is just getting started.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:17 AM
truebluegoalie

Interesting excerpt. Couldn't read the whole thing, haven't wasted my money on ESPN insider in years.

but a push on D? I would like to see the reasoning behind that.
When healthy the Rangers D is way better, younger, and deeper. Even if Pronger ever plays again, which I don't think he will, I think the Rangers are better on D.

Staal, Girardi, McDonaugh, MDZ, Sauer, Erixon, Valentenko, even Bickel has shown he can play.

Timmonen, Carle, Meszaros, Coburn, Lilja?

Sorry, I'll take the Rangers D in that matchup.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:20 AM
egelband

I really like this team. I mean, personality-wise. Just love 'em. That said, i think it's wise to not get too excited. This team doesnt have the most talent in the league. So its quite likely things will get rough at some point. As well, the rangers will have targets on their backs.
I think this team is well-equipped mentally, but it wont always be this easy. (from a fans perspective). Im sure everyone here knows that. Just sayin'. As the rangers make a bigger name for themselves, the task will get tougher. Lets all keep an even keel.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:48 AM
pld459666

the attitude this team displays is what I have been hoping for, for years.

Get another scorer for the top line and get healthy on D and we are set.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Superstar Carwash

I agree. We got a very interesting core of players. YOUNG players with lot of space to grow. The upcoming season we will free up a lot of cap money from different sources, like old buy-outs, not QO-ing some players, and to some UFA's. I think it's pretty important though that we don't go out and sign some big name next summer. Why? Because MDZ will be an RFA at the end of this season, and he can expect a pretty big pay raise. But more importantly, the season after next we have McDonaugh, Sauer, Stepan, Hagelin and Anisimov as RFA's who can expect a big pay raise if they keep developing like they do. And as RangerBoy stated, we also have Kreider in the system, ready to turn pro.

We definitely need to keep all the money we can to be able to sign these players, as they will almost certainly be a big part of this team. I know it's not really the Rangers way and that people expect, and want us, to sign some big name UFA over the summer. But personally, I sincerely hope that Sather holds his horses and play it cool. The upcoming 2-3 seasons will be VERY interesting with the core of youngsters we have, both pro's and unsigned prospects. I don't think we need to sign a big-name star for $6 million/year.

Superstar Carwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:00 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Im glad others are taking notice.

This team is just getting started.
It's funny how whenever posters were hopeful about this exact scenario unfolding at this exact time ( being good around 2012-2013 and having a core set up for multiple years) there were certain posters who went out of their way to be complete a**holes in their denial that it was even possible to build a good team and they are nowhere to be found on the boards now.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:09 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
Interesting excerpt. Couldn't read the whole thing, haven't wasted my money on ESPN insider in years.

When healthy the Rangers D is way better, younger, and deeper. Even if Pronger ever plays again, which I don't think he will, I think the Rangers are better on D.

Staal, Girardi, McDonaugh, MDZ, Sauer, Erixon, Valentenko, even Bickel has shown he can play.

McIlrath...

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:10 AM
cmdevisser

Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
Ultimately I'm not worried about them signing some big name UFA this summer, because, where are our true positions of need anyway? The only way there will be a roster shake-up is if young prospects force their way onto the line-up, making the team that much deeper and that much more complete.

Honestly, what the rest of the league should be saying right now is Holy Sh** the rangers are first in the league and they have one of the deepest systems in the league with guys like Kreider, Fasth, St. Croix, Miller, Thomas, & McIllrath all having the potential to be impact players at the next level. That's a young core, a deep team, and a great coach.

I never thought this day would actually come.

cmdevisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:42 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post

McIlrath...
Has shown he can play?

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

Send a message via AIM to Nekz
Did the really compare Callahan to Toews?

Nekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:04 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekz View Post
He meant in that both became captains at a very young age

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:07 AM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Quote:
yeah i don't know where that came from either

it's really somethin else when you've liked a team that hasn't done very well for so long and then they start winning on a consistent basis. gives you more pride than you had prior to this happening.

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:15 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post

McIlrath...
lol tks, knew i was forgetting someone. just makes the depth argument even stronger though.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:24 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
In the sense that they're young and carry themselves in a similar manner. I don't think it had anything to do with talent.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:24 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
I dont' think they mean from a skill standpoint.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

Quote:
he also compared the flyers D to staal girardi mcdonagh Del Z sauer and felt it was even ahaha

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:26 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Well the comparison seems to be less about how talented they are than about their attitude coming to the rink every day, their effort level on the ice, and the overall example the serve to their teammates. I doubt anybody in their right mind would argue that Cally is in the same ballpark as Toews in terms of scoring ability.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:44 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

They also have Torts

Steve Yzerman

Quote:
“The way I look at the Eastern Conference, there’s Boston, the deepest team in the Conference, and the Rangers are having a great year, and that team plays with real structure and Philadelphia, despite the big injuries, is hanging in there. And after that, everybody is virtually the same. That’s going to make for a really tight second half.
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/01/02...sing-territory

Old
01-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

It's impressive to see all of these kids come up through the system and contribute, and the hired gun mentality slowly start to fade away. Even more impressive is that the Rangers continue to pluck gems from trades and the unsigned player market.

Love the makeup of this team, and I love the kind of players we're developing. Very exciting time to be a Rangers fan.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:55 AM
skroob**

Rangers look to be good for a while now. Funny, we pulled off a complete rebuild in only about 5 years while still being a playoff team nearly the entire time. Meanwhile, some teams (one just a few miles to the east) have been in rebuild mode for two decades and still have nothing to show for it. Makes me happy.

Summer of 2013 might get scary thought. Ani, Step, Sauer, Hagelin, McD all need new deals at the same time. RFAs, but still most likely looking at about 15 million right there. eek.

And if 2013 is the "Summer of the RFA", then 2014 is the "UFA-Fest 2014" with Lundqvist, Cally, Girardi, and Gabby (or his replacement) up for the big bucks. ouch.

That will be two big hits in a row there. I hope the cap can absorb it.

This summer though, looks like it will be pretty tame in NYC, and thats not a bad thing. Just wrap up MDZ, and find a way to keep Biron in town. Not too bad.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:01 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post

This is what Custance wrote

Staal's absence allowed McDonagh and MDZ to grow. They are playing more minutes and have more responsibility. The Rangers have a more mature group of D than last season with McD and MDZ. He mentioned Girardi playing 27 plus minutes.

The Flyers have Coburn,Carle and Meszaros entering their prime years plus Timonen and Pronger. Even though Pronger's status is up in the air,he has helped the younger guys.

Old
01-03-2012, 11:07 AM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashiva View Post
I agree. We got a very interesting core of players. YOUNG players with lot of space to grow. The upcoming season we will free up a lot of cap money from different sources, like old buy-outs, not QO-ing some players, and to some UFA's. I think it's pretty important though that we don't go out and sign some big name next summer. Why? Because MDZ will be an RFA at the end of this season, and he can expect a pretty big pay raise. But more importantly, the season after next we have McDonaugh, Sauer, Stepan, Hagelin and Anisimov as RFA's who can expect a big pay raise if they keep developing like they do. And as RangerBoy stated, we also have Kreider in the system, ready to turn pro.

We definitely need to keep all the money we can to be able to sign these players, as they will almost certainly be a big part of this team. I know it's not really the Rangers way and that people expect, and want us, to sign some big name UFA over the summer. But personally, I sincerely hope that Sather holds his horses and play it cool. The upcoming 2-3 seasons will be VERY interesting with the core of youngsters we have, both pro's and unsigned prospects. I don't think we need to sign a big-name star for $6 million/year.
Good point. Stay the course, Glen.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:24 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
It's impressive to see all of these kids come up through the system and contribute, and the hired gun mentality slowly start to fade away. Even more impressive is that the Rangers continue to pluck gems from trades and the unsigned player market.

Love the makeup of this team, and I love the kind of players we're developing. Very exciting time to be a Rangers fan.
This is exactly what a lot of us on this board have been hoping to see for a long time, even before the trade deadline of 2004, before the drafting of Brendl and Lundmark and likely the day Neil Smith decided to trade Keane and Skrudland for Todd Harvey. It is a predominantly homegrown squad, that has grown up together, with a tangible identity and mindset. They work hard and do not back down. The braintrust has drafted players that fit this mindset. This is a reward to all of us who have believed you can construct a team like this in New York.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Pizza

Watching The Winter Classic took me back many years as a Rangers fan. Something has happened to New York Rangers hockey. It is slowly, grudgingly being acknowledged by those in and around the NHL, and even in the Rangers fans base.

I agree 10,000% with what Messier was quoted as saying in the article:

"If you can get a group of young players who have come through the system together and learn the game, learn how to be a pro all together and that are the focus and nucleus of the team, it's a huge advantage," Messier said. "Huge advantage."

This is the message the Organization has been stating since the close of the '03 - '04 season. A letter was sent out by the Rangers to fans pledging a rebuild from within. Hard nosed players would be brought up, together, from within the Org. to form a core.

That process suffered at times, but since Tort's came on he's consistently, repeatedly referenced "sticking to our plan", "building our young core", "not trading away our young core group of players."

A lot of folks that read this will say "Pizza your drinking the cool aid." I don't think so. The evidence is mounting. Winning and finding a way to win is not an accident or luck....when it just keeps happening. Many Rangers fans see themselves as realists. Cynicism is a right that many feel they have earned.

Times have changed. This ain't your fathers Rangers anymore. The young guys in that core could care less about the suffering of Rangers fans. All they want to do is win. Together.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote