HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sens sneak Devils

View Poll Results: Pick 3 stars
Cowen 4 4.71%
Condra 34 40.00%
Alfredsson 58 68.24%
Lee 1 1.18%
Michalek 2 2.35%
Greening 2 2.35%
Smith 2 2.35%
Spezza 54 63.53%
Neil 8 9.41%
Konopka 2 2.35%
Carkner 2 2.35%
Karlsson 55 64.71%
Foligno 2 2.35%
Anderson 43 50.59%
Other *NAME WHO* 4 4.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-03-2012, 02:44 AM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Great job by Neil firing the team up with a great scrap. Alfie and McLean both giving him props, no surprise (to me at least).
This...

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:06 AM
ClubSandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Great job by Neil firing the team up with a great scrap. Alfie and McLean both giving him props, no surprise (to me at least).
He also passed Bonk tonight in games played for the Sens, moving into fourth all time.

ClubSandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:44 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
You mean Anderson played like a starting goalie? That is what it takes for this team to win. Can't take nights off... none of them can.

It's weird that when the defence is looking on its game for the most part...Anderson "looks like a starting goalie."

Like I said before, waiting on the next "soft" goal that Anderson lets in for the haters to be out in full force.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:02 AM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

I picked Anderson, Spezza and Neil.

Could have easily gone with Sneaky who seemed to be a puck magnet last night for his game tying shorty. Karsslon is so dominant you'd have to pick him almost every night. Alfie is a star every game in my book so it goes without saying. With this team, many nights it's almost unfair to pick 3 stars.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Caeldan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
no score is displayed. Tough luck for the rest
Why such an arse about it really?
Not like you're trying to write Sun headlines.

Or just put it as first line in the text if you want to bring out the 'wit'.

Caeldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

I really don't understand the people crying about the score being in the PGT.

If you don't want to see the score before watching/reading about the game then don't come to a Sens board after you've missed the game. It's a very simple concept.

Old
01-03-2012, 09:35 AM
KarlSen

DeBoer was very professional after the game. Good man.

Quote:
New Jersey coach Peter DeBoer called it "a good point" for his team.

"(The Senators) don't give up, they hung in. They took advantage of their opportunities, it wasn't like we handed them 10 or 15 scoring chances, we gave them a couple and they stuck it in. Credit to them, and we've got to move forward," said DeBoer.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Yokai

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post

If you don't want to see the score before watching/reading about the game then don't come to a Sens board after you've missed the game. It's a very simple concept.
Don't worry the type of person that is bothered by the score in PGT is the same type of person that is bothered by a show/movie making a joke that ruins the ending of a 20 year old movie for them.

Yokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:11 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
Don't worry the type of person that is bothered by the score in PGT is the same type of person that is bothered by a show/movie making a joke that ruins the ending of a 20 year old movie for them.
Bruce Willis is dead the whole time during the Sixth Sense and is a ghost himself.

BOOM.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:

Because some people are adults and have things to do (and responsabilities like work, kids, sick parents, wife, dog, house, etc.) and can't watch ALL the games live, so have to record it with a PVR. And when you're used to read the GDT at the same time you watch the game, you want to read the GDT at the same time too, even if it's not "live"

And you know what? To open the GDT, you have to come to this board, so if you see a PGT named "Sens sneak the Devils" while searching for the GDT, you kinda know that the Sens won... so no more thrill for the people watching it delayed. I'm actually using my hands to hide the words in thread titles and find the "GDT thing" on the left... My wife looks at me and say "lol what are you doing, you look crazy"

Hopefully it's clear. It seems to be really hard to understand for some people, even though it's a very simple concept.

Last edited by Xspyrit: 01-03-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:21 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Because some people have things to do (and responsabilities like work and kids) and can't watch ALL the games live, so have to record it with a PVR. And when you're used to read the GDT at the same time you watch the game, you want to read the GDT at the same time too, even if it's not "live"

And you know what? To open the GDT, you have to come to this board, so if you see a PGT named "Sens sneak the Devils" while searching for the GDT, you kinda know that the Sens won... so no more thrill for the people watching it delayed.

Hopefully it's clear. It seems to be really hard to understand for some people, even though it's a very simple concept.
I get that they want to follow along but why should everyone else have to acquiesce to people who are too busy to catch the game live? There are 82 games in a season and expecting the board to not create threads that "spoil" results is as silly as asking TSN not to show highlights or telling the Team 1200 not to discuss it until til you've finished watching the game.

You realize how annoying that guy in the office is who says: "don't talk about the game, I haven't watched it yet!" is? Well, whining about the PGT is being that guy.

If you want to follow along on the GDT, bookmark it (as most often it's started at 12:01 am of game day (exaggerating but you catch my drift)) and then go back to that bookmark when you start watching.

Old
01-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
I get that they want to follow along but why should everyone else have to acquiesce to people who are too busy to catch the game live? There are 82 games in a season and expecting the board to not create threads that "spoil" results is as silly as asking TSN not to show highlights or telling the Team 1200 not to discuss it until til you've finished watching the game.

You realize how annoying that guy in the office is who says: "don't talk about the game, I haven't watched it yet!" is? Well, whining about the PGT is being that guy.

If you want to follow along on the GDT, bookmark it (as most often it's started at 12:01 am of game day (exaggerating but you catch my drift)) and then go back to that bookmark when you start watching.
That's why I have to do some accrobatics with my hands (see my last post, I've edited). I never complained about it, but I'd rather have no "spoiling titles" so I could just come here, click on the GDT and watch my game simultaneously after a long day

Personally, I'm not watching any TV sports channels or listening to any Radio (I only listen to CDs in my car) before watching the game, so I have no idea of the final score until I watch the entire game (and skip ads and intermissions! So it basicallly takes me 1h30 instead of + 2h)

I'll try to bookmark the GDTs in the future, but sometimes I don't have the time or have too many other things in mind. People have to realize not everyone is a student or live with parents, etc. "Adult life" is much more complicated and little details like that are... just little details. It's already enough that I have to think about recording the game. Sometimes, I have to call my wife to say "hey, can you please record the game? I have forgotten."

All that being said, I don't think or remember that it happened yet that I discovered the score (I watched the game live yesterday) before watching the game delayed, so not really a problem for me, but I can understand if it happened to somebody else.

Old
01-03-2012, 10:35 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

My opinion is that, if you don't want to spoil the result of the game, don't come on this board.

I'll scan through the GDTs after, but I don't expect the entire population of an internet message board to acquiesce to my tardiness.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Caeldan

Quote:

There's one major difference between your PGT and office analogy.

Discussion still can happen in the PGT. We're just asking the one person who is making it, not to spoil the game in the title.. and put all the spoilers they want one box down.

ie. We're not stopping them from saying a single thing, just asking for the information to be put in a spot that's on the exact same page they're making the thread in - just in a slightly different location.

So for minimal effort, you can make a lot of people happier... plus its better for the overall board community when you don't have people avoiding the board in general for an entire day, because they don't want to spoil the game.

I mean sure, if you go into another thread and see a reference to a game its a risk you take... but to just happen to come to the board to see if there's something to talk about on a break before you've seen the game... you remove those people from the board.

So again to reiterate - those people (such as myself) asking not to spoil with a topic made the day of (or slightly after), is a lot different than spoilers about a movie 20 years later... and a lot different from those people in the office asking not to talk about the game - because the discussion still can happen.

Old
01-03-2012, 10:55 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
That's why I have to do some accrobatics with my hands (see my last post, I've edited). I never complained about it, but I'd rather have no "spoiling titles" so I could just come here, click on the GDT and watch my game simultaneously after a long day

Personally, I'm not watching any TV sports channels or listening to any Radio (I only listen to CDs in my car) before watching the game, so I have no idea of the final score until I watch the entire game (and skip ads and intermissions! So it basicallly takes me 1h30 instead of + 2h)

I'll try to bookmark the GDTs in the future, but sometimes I don't have the time or have too many other things in mind. People have to realize not everyone is a student or live with parents, etc. "Adult life" is much more complicated and little details like that are... just little details. It's already enough that I have to think about recording the game. Sometimes, I have to call my wife to say "hey, can you please record the game? I have forgotten."

All that being said, I don't think or remember that it happened yet that I discovered the score (I watched the game live yesterday) before watching the game delayed, so not really a problem for me, but I can understand if it happened to somebody else.
Adult life is complicated. And sometimes that complication results in me *gasp* missing games entirely. Expecting other adults to not carry on their lives because I'm busy isn't their problem.

Old
01-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

Yeah I'm not making a huge response to that post that is just full of entitlement. If you're too busy to watch the game that's your problem. I'm not going to send you a personal message or call you to ruin the outcome of the game, but don't go to a place that has the sole purpose of discussing everything Senators and not expect people to be talking about the result of a game, or having the game spoiled.

If you don't want it spoiled don't go somewhere where that is a possibility, or just make time to watch the game.

Old
01-03-2012, 10:58 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Yeah I'm not making a huge response to that post that is just full of entitlement. If you're too busy to watch the game that's your problem. I'm not going to send you a personal message or call you to ruin the outcome of the game, but don't go to a place that has the sole purpose of discussing everything Senators and not expect people to be talking about the result of a game, or having the game spoiled.

If you don't want it spoiled don't go somewhere where that is a possibility, or just make time to watch the game.
This.

And for the record, I'm 33 years old, I'm director of operations for a management consulting firm and married, and I really have no sympathy for people who somehow want to come on a message board and read discussions about hockey while strategically avoiding the actual hockey that is going on that day.

Old
01-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Caeldan

Quote:
Adult life is complicated. And sometimes that complication results in me *gasp* missing games entirely. Expecting other adults to not carry on their lives because I'm busy isn't their problem.
And have you seen a single person ever ask for PGTs not to be made? No. The only request has been that the TOPIC not contain a spoiler.

So having something say simple for example... PGT: Jan 2/12 Sens vs Devils... but inside containing 'Sens Sneak Devils' and all the pretty pictures and scores and 3 stars etc for a first post - perfectly valid. And restricts no one at all.

Old
01-03-2012, 11:02 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Meh, if people want to try doing that, fine. It's a nice suggestion.

But if people are caught up by the exuberance of the win or something, sucks to be you.

The best way to avoid spoilers is to avoid the internet.

Personally, I don't think it's a big loss to lose those people who somehow want to discuss hockey in a bizarre time-warp where the last game didn't happen.

Old
01-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Caeldan

I happen to be currently living 5 hours ahead of the games, so have no choice BUT to watch them the next day.. possibly starting it at my lunch break and then finishing up in the evening.

But I have opportunities during breaks to come to the boards and would like to participate in other topics - however since I've come here I've generally done what is suggested and avoid the boards. So basically the board essentially loses community members, because people can't shift a few words into the body of a post instead of the topic of a post?

I just don't see why it's any skin off people's backs to not just use the body of the post to put the information.

That's all I've ever asked. Not to avoid making PGTs, just keep the topic simple - and go nuts in the first post.

Old
01-03-2012, 11:10 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
And have you seen a single person ever ask for PGTs not to be made? No. The only request has been that the TOPIC not contain a spoiler.

So having something say simple for example... PGT: Jan 2/12 Sens vs Devils... but inside containing 'Sens Sneak Devils' and all the pretty pictures and scores and 3 stars etc for a first post - perfectly valid. And restricts no one at all.
But where does the complaining about next day threads stop then? So people stop putting the score in the PGT to placate the 10 people who missed the game, are they also to stop creating threads like "Anderson stealing games for us, who knew?" or "Karlsson leads the league now in OT winners" because both of those threads hint at the outcome of previous night's game.

It's hockey and there are 82 games that the Senators play. Just because you miss one and learn about the score by coming to this board isn't something that needs to be constantly complained about. I think its silly that you want to contain the exuberance of those who actually watched the game and are excited about a team win by limiting their creativity in the PGT thread title.

Old
01-03-2012, 11:12 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Well, I'd say it's something the mods can easily do.

I used to correct spelling of thread titles all the time, because it annoyed me and made our fan base look illiterate.

Old
01-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Caeldan

Quote:
But where does the complaining about next day threads stop then? So people stop putting the score in the PGT to placate the 10 people who missed the game, are they also to stop creating threads like "Anderson stealing games for us, who knew?" or "Karlsson leads the league now in OT winners" because both of those threads hint at the outcome of previous night's game.

It's hockey and there are 82 games that the Senators play. Just because you miss one and learn about the score by coming to this board isn't something that needs to be constantly complained about. I think its silly that you want to contain the exuberance of those who actually watched the game and are excited about a team win by limiting their creativity in the PGT thread title.
Those types of posts are far and few between, and if you are behind a day or so on games - you never know which game directly that those sort of topics refer to. Especially since they come a day later than the game anyway as people take time to go over stats and realize what happened.
But the direct reference does make a difference, and it's honestly a very simple request to a thread maker to do it that way.

Plus isn't the point of the PGTs generally to try to pull in a lot of those various topics in one central area?

I'd even go so far as suggesting if there's enough interest between the people who like to do them - to actually start doing up PGT schedules? I know some people really like to get creative with the GDTs, why not treat PGTs the same way? Have simple topic, go nuts inside the post.

Old
01-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Smeddy
Intangibles

You don't want to come to the sens board and see the score of the game,

I don't want to come to the sens board and see rants about how adult life is too hard.

Smeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
I do agree and never asked anything, but if people would try to not "spoil results" too much in threads titles, I would gladly take it. If not, I will continue "to get by" (I mean débrouiller/cope)

Quote:

You probably didn't take time to read my 2 posts related to this or just didn't understand but simply...

I'm not "going to a place where people discuss results". I'm just looking to open the freaking GDT. Like I said earlier, I will try to bookmark the threads (which is easier said then done, I'm not always at home or in front of a computer, so I can't wait for the GDT to appear and then bookmark it). If I can't do it (which unfortunately will be the case most of the time), I will continue to do like I did before, which is try to avoid the result/PGT title the best I can and open that GDT to watch the game simultaneously. Not sure why I have to explain it so much. lol

You guys do as you want, but help in that regard (not spoiling results too much) would be appreciated by many people who watch some games delayed but still want to read the GDTs and need to open the HF Sens forum main page.