HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winter Classic January 2, 2012 (and scheduled events through this week)

Old
01-02-2012, 11:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
should lavi have gone with giroux? probably. oh well. i'm giving the flyers a pass because the poor ice in the third took away the ability for the flyers to dictate with their speed. we need to win out the rest of the season series against this team, though.
That's not a good reason for a pass. The Flyers had a 2-goal lead and control of the game, and coughed it up. Piss poor ice should have worked to their advantage since they should have had the lead. A 2-goal lead.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:11 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

vCash: 500
G was a no brainer to take that penalty shot IMO.....Lavi in the third reminded me of his lousy decision making in the playoffs last year against the Bruins...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:15 AM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

vCash: 50
Simmonds was great tonight. I thought he was our best player overall all day long.
Schenn had a solid game. finally got rewarded for some hard work with his first NHL goal. good for him.
2-0 lead and having all the momentum and it got pissed away in 30 seconds. As soon as the Rangers got that goal things went the other way. You cant fault Bobrovsky for that goal. Mez was just standing there and didnt challenge Rupp. Mez should of gone up and put a body on him instead of backing off and playing him like he was Gaborik.
2nd goal was all Bobs fault. he put himself in a bad position on the post and once again it cost him. You should save that shot every single time. no questions asked.
The GWG goal by Richards, maybe you can give him some of the fault on that and even that is debatable, but you cannot not leave Richards unchecked. Especially with the cage wide open. By the time Giroux and whoever else was out there the red light was on.
Very frustrating game. I am hoping one day, we have a goalie playing for us that is close to the goalie Lundqvist is. Goaltending was the difference. again.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 01-03-2012 at 12:20 AM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:16 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
That's not a good reason for a pass. The Flyers had a 2-goal lead and control of the game, and coughed it up. Piss poor ice should have worked to their advantage since they should have had the lead. A 2-goal lead.
i'm not saying it's acceptable, i'm just choosing not to dwell on it.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Mike2000z28

rags own us and so do the bruins for now. We aren't a top elite team like them. Even though the rags are young, they are just a better team. We never get the bounces and can't finish for crap against the rags. Its reminding me of a lost season where they will be entertaining to watch at times, only to lose to the rags/boston in a playoff series.

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:52 AM
Haute Couturier

I didn't have any problem with Laviolette choosing Briere over Giroux for the penalty shot. Briere is absolutely one of the top 2 Flyers you would choose in that situation. He is also much better at shootouts than Giroux is.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:06 AM
RebelMe
The Last Unconcussed

Send a message via ICQ to RebelMe
Just watched the game, I am very curious what other fans thought about it, but I'll post my 2 cents before reading all the threads:
2012 Winter Classic was a huge disappointment for me - Jagr got injured. Mike **** Rupp saluting, what a disgrace. Very, very strange refereeing, obviously I was rooting for the Flyers, but the calls in the final few minutes were a complete BS and looked like an effort to stage an overtime for the national viewership. And on top of all that, intermission programme and Bobby Clarke laughing his ass off about intentionally breaking Kharlamov's ankle. I hope at least the people at the stadium had a good time. On TV, the atmosphere looked nothing like 2009 Detroit - Chicago, but TV feed is not the best indicator of the vibe here.

RebelMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:15 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I didn't have any problem with Laviolette choosing Briere over Giroux for the penalty shot. Briere is absolutely one of the top 2 Flyers you would choose in that situation. He is also much better at shootouts than Giroux is.
Yeah, you can't really fault Lavy on this one.
Also you can't fault Briere on it, everybody who knows something about hockey will tell you that the goalie has a heavy advantage on penalty shots. This could've slipped through, it didn't.
After this third period, we didn't deserve to win.
I'm fine with this game.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:37 AM
kimmofan44

this is what bothers me, how many times did the nbc guys reference how john tort really knows what players to put out on the ice to get his team going, he's really changing the lines upand finding combos that work, we have a real coaching duel here ect. well on the opposite side lavy is putting jvr on the top line instead of double shifting coots and seemed unable to find a way to get his team going in the 3rd despite them dominating the better half of the first two periods. lavy seems to lose these "coaching duels" a lot and it may be becoming a problem... last "coaching duel" was another nationaly televised game agaist tampa and we lost that one as soon as they stopped playing the 1 3 1...

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:48 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Yeah, but this is a new season and Giroux has broken through to undeniable superstar status. Just think of the breakaway goals he has had this season. On top of that, Briere just isnt performing well recently.

Seconds to go with the game on the line should mean your star player gets the nod.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:54 AM
Flyerfan808

The final 5 minutes of that game might have been some of the worst officiating ever. Delay of game for being pushed into the net... followed by "matching minors" one for Callahan and one for Timonen... followed by PENALTY SHOT with 19 seconds left?

It made me sick to my stomach... oh yeah and then we STILL lost.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:03 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Emperor View Post
Yeah, but this is a new season and Giroux has broken through to undeniable superstar status. Just think of the breakaway goals he has had this season. On top of that, Briere just isnt performing well recently.

Seconds to go with the game on the line should mean your star player gets the nod.
Hindsight is 20/20.
If he would've gone with Giroux and he would have missed everybody would say how he didn't choose our statistically best shoot-out player in Briere, I mean the guy is around 40% in those.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:20 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
The final 5 minutes of that game might have been some of the worst officiating ever. Delay of game for being pushed into the net... followed by "matching minors" one for Callahan and one for Timonen... followed by PENALTY SHOT with 19 seconds left?

Yea, I wasn't happy how much they were trying to push for overtime... that is just wrong.

Then the flyers NOT tying it up with all those unfair chances.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:43 AM
CptCannon

Quote:

Agree 101%.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2000z28 View Post
rags own us and so do the bruins for now.
And for some reason Tampa.

Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:

It looked staged but when you look at them, it all made sense. The player WAS holding the sick when he fell. It's just that those are rarely called. And the Rangers player iced the puck in the goalie zone and this is not allowed.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:06 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Emperor View Post

To be honest, Roo had a break away in the first and did not score, and that might have affected coache's decision.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:22 AM
MsWoof

I was surprised that Briere was chosen but he does have a good percentage so it wasn't that big a deal. Having said that, he, JvR, Voracek have to get going. If you take one of Giroux/Jagr/Hartnell out of the lineup there is a huge drop off.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Eh, he wasn't very good. Can't win battles or control the puck very well, he gets knocked off the puck very easily. Again, drives wide with the puck and does nothing. Gets a point blank chance and can't put it in the net.

There are a few things that I'll let him slide for in the game because of the ice and whatnot, but for a #2 overall he is severely depressing.

I understand the "power-forwards longer to develop" concept or whatever but I'm starting to think the playoffs last year was a bit of a fluke.

But of course, I hope I'm dead wrong.
Eaxctly this. Whoever thought he played well must not understand the definition. Counting, Giroux, Jagr, Hartnell, Simmonds, Voracek, Schenn, Talbot, Read, Harry Z, Couturier even with his limited playing time and arguable even Briere with those 2 dominant shifts in the second to control the game before we started scoring played better than him. If every other forward on the roster played better than him and we still lost only scoring 2 goals. Its hard to see how he played "well".

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
To be honest, Roo had a break away in the first and did not score, and that might have affected coache's decision.
Giroux knowing how a particular goalie plays is a bad thing now? Lundqvist doing what he bdid was very uncharacteristic ofn him and even any rangers fan would tell you that. Hes never agressive on the breakaway and always has the shooter making the first move. That was something he just never does on that Giroux breakaway.

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Kaktus*

Briere is excellent when it comes to SO. Coach gave Briere an opportunity. Briere did not execute.
Not sure why we have questions about this decision.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:17 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Briere is excellent when it comes to SO. Coach gave Briere an opportunity. Briere did not execute.
Not sure why we have questions about this decision.
Gotta love that 20/20 hindsight.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:26 AM
thelos
Bunk

Briere did fine considering the ice. Too many moves would just lead to losing control of the piuck

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:41 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelMe View Post
Just watched the game, I am very curious what other fans thought about it, but I'll post my 2 cents before reading all the threads:
2012 Winter Classic was a huge disappointment for me - Jagr got injured. Mike **** Rupp saluting, what a disgrace. Very, very strange refereeing, obviously I was rooting for the Flyers, but the calls in the final few minutes were a complete BS and looked like an effort to stage an overtime for the national viewership. And on top of all that, intermission programme and Bobby Clarke laughing his ass off about intentionally breaking Kharlamov's ankle. I hope at least the people at the stadium had a good time. On TV, the atmosphere looked nothing like 2009 Detroit - Chicago, but TV feed is not the best indicator of the vibe here.
They changed the rules of the game when we were in Boston as well. Stupid, but, whatever.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:03 AM
phlflyer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
Briere did fine considering the ice. Too many moves would just lead to losing control of the piuck
Exactly.

Briere is excellent on shootouts and normally much more creative than just going in and looking 5-hole but he was pretty limited based upon the condition of the ice. Especially at the end of a period like that.

As much as I love G, I don't think he would have been able to do more so I think the Briere vs. G debate is pointless.

phlflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:05 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
It looked staged but when you look at them, it all made sense. The player WAS holding the sick when he fell. It's just that those are rarely called. And the Rangers player iced the puck in the goalie zone and this is not allowed.
The delay if game knocking off the net was a bad call. But the others were fine. Callahan was grabbing the stick RIGHT in front of the ref...he had an easy view of it. Puck covered in the crease...easy call...

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote