HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winter Classic January 2, 2012 (and scheduled events through this week)

Old
01-03-2012, 12:09 PM
achdumeingute

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Simmonds was great tonight. I thought he was our best player overall all day long.
Schenn had a solid game. finally got rewarded for some hard work with his first NHL goal. good for him.
2-0 lead and having all the momentum and it got pissed away in 30 seconds. As soon as the Rangers got that goal things went the other way. You cant fault Bobrovsky for that goal. Mez was just standing there and didnt challenge Rupp. Mez should of gone up and put a body on him instead of backing off and playing him like he was Gaborik.
2nd goal was all Bobs fault. he put himself in a bad position on the post and once again it cost him. You should save that shot every single time. no questions asked.
The GWG goal by Richards, maybe you can give him some of the fault on that and even that is debatable, but you cannot not leave Richards unchecked. Especially with the cage wide open. By the time Giroux and whoever else was out there the red light was on.
Very frustrating game. I am hoping one day, we have a goalie playing for us that is close to the goalie Lundqvist is. Goaltending was the difference. again.
Goal one...ok...it was tough to see. Goal 2, all bob. Goal 3 all Giroux. WTF is he doing behind the net watching the puck. When you don't have the puck in your own zone locate the opponent please. He didn't and Richards has an easy look.

This is one of the differences between top teams and us...effort in our own end.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Icedog2735

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Goal one...ok...it was tough to see. Goal 2, all bob. Goal 3 all Giroux. WTF is he doing behind the net watching the puck. When you don't have the puck in your own zone locate the opponent please. He didn't and Richards has an easy look.

This is one of the differences between top teams and us...effort in our own end.
I put this goal on JVR also. Watch the goal again and follow his play in the zone. He had front row seats to the go-ahead goal.

Icedog2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:15 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post

Yup, nothing more to say.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:39 PM
kimmofan44

the penalty shot not withstanding, the fact that the flyers had gotten themselves into a position where they needed a miracle to win the game is the real problem here. i think lavy has an inability to adapt to other teams strategies on the fly and has some other serious flaws. i think we've all seen read and couts kill penalties and realized that they almost always get a short handed bid at the net, so why with this chemistry would they not be on a line together? instead he is left to rot on the fourth line and minimal ice time. lavy is stunting the growth of a very promising rookie, and leaving very stagnant line combos together. briere simmonds isn't working yet it hasn't been changed, harry z looks fantastic yet gets no ice time. jvr is playing bad hockey yet he gets the nod for the first line in a big game, torts switches his line combos mid game lavy has no answer.

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:56 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

JVR went to the top line when Jagr went out. i didnt have a problem with it. that line was great in the Final a couple of years ago and Lavi was hoping maybe it would get JVR going. Who do you put up in Jagr's spot? Briere? Read? Obviously it didnt work out. But that was hardly the reason the Flyers lost. The Rangers came out and wanted the 3rd period more then the Flyers did and paid the price.
if Jagr is out Thursday and longer I would suspect JVR will be on the top line.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:04 PM
kimmofan44

i think couts has played well enough to earn a spot on a higher line and more ice time, and some other lines should be shuffled around bc the flyers are quickly becoming a one line team.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:14 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
the penalty shot not withstanding, the fact that the flyers had gotten themselves into a position where they needed a miracle to win the game is the real problem here. i think lavy has an inability to adapt to other teams strategies on the fly and has some other serious flaws. i think we've all seen read and couts kill penalties and realized that they almost always get a short handed bid at the net, so why with this chemistry would they not be on a line together? instead he is left to rot on the fourth line and minimal ice time. lavy is stunting the growth of a very promising rookie, and leaving very stagnant line combos together. briere simmonds isn't working yet it hasn't been changed, harry z looks fantastic yet gets no ice time. jvr is playing bad hockey yet he gets the nod for the first line in a big game, torts switches his line combos mid game lavy has no answer.
Cause coaches know to not just mix things up on the fly. You don't change **** after 5 games. Also I don't know if you've noticed but we have like 5 centers on this team. Somebody thats a talented center will be on the 4th line. Its inevitable.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:16 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
That, unfortunately, seems to be the pattern lately- Lavy's coaching is coming small in the big games.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:21 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
That, unfortunately, seems to be the pattern lately- Lavy's coaching is coming small in the big games.

First game of the season? Down in Washington without Giroux? Against Pittsburgh. Against Vancouver? These are all big games that the Flyers have won in the past 4 months. I'm sorry we haven't been able to beat the Rangers yet but **** happens. One team just has a handle on the games right now. You just need to keep chipping away at it. Losing to the Rangers 3 times doesn't count as "coming up small in the big games" all the time.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:26 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
First game of the season? Down in Washington without Giroux? Against Pittsburgh. Against Vancouver? These are all big games that the Flyers have won in the past 4 months. I'm sorry we haven't been able to beat the Rangers yet but **** happens. One team just has a handle on the games right now. You just need to keep chipping away at it. Losing to the Rangers 3 times doesn't count as "coming up small in the big games" all the time.
That's not how it works around here. It's what have you done for me lately, unless you do well, then it it is what have you done poorly for me lately. Good things don't matter on here, bad things do.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:29 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Lundqvist can do that to many teams. they are playing well right now. Last night was not on Laviolette. it was on the players for not matching the Rangers intensity when it mattered most. the 3rd period.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:36 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Lundqvist can do that to many teams. they are playing well right now. Last night was not on Laviolette. it was on the players for not matching the Rangers intensity when it mattered most. the 3rd period.
Are you kidding me? Bob let in 2 weak goals while Lundqvist stopped 3 clear cut breakaways. Goaltending was by far the biggest difference.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:37 PM
kimmofan44

Quote:
i can agree with that, but i also think that lavy has some chinks in his armor that are starting to show. that simmonds briere line isn't really getting it done they get some sustained pressure but no real scoring chances. i just think lavy needs to change things up a little bit and reward courts for his outstanding play all season with limited ice time.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:40 PM
iamcanadian23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Are you kidding me? Bob let in 2 weak goals while Lundqvist stopped 3 clear cut breakaways. Goaltending was by far the biggest difference.
We probably would have won with Lundqvist in our net, but we don't have him - so we need to find ways to win in spite of our lack of a game-changing goaltender. That includes a sixty minute team effort, which we didn't see. No doubt, goaltending needed to be better - but with a stronger third period, maybe some of that could have been avoided.

iamcanadian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:41 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
2 goals on Lundqvist sometimes/more often than not has to be enough.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Let's Go Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3x View Post
Well, at least the atmosphere at CBP felt like Game 7 of the ECF. Great experience.
I must have been in the worst section in the ballpark, just zero enthusiasm. I stood up in the first period for Giroux and jagr's breakaways and the guy behind me asked me not to stand during the play in between periods. In the third period it seemed the entire 100 level was standing for the duration except for our section. Everybody sat on their thumbs only standing for an apparent fight/disturbance in the stands in left field and for the penalty shot.

Let's Go Flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Xegiie

well we had quite a few goal chances, it just didn't go in, and when it did, they stopped puck by gloves/bodies on the line, lol

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:49 PM
iamcanadian23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
I'm not here often enough to know what your opinion has been on Laviolette specifically, through the course of the season. The following post really has nothing to do with you, just seeing alot of hate for Laviolette - and quoted something about him on here.

But in general, it appears as though Laviolette is another polarizing figure for what is seemingly one of the most volatile fanbases in the league. Do other teams fans really flip-flop on everyone this badly? One bad game for this team, and you're being dragged through the mud as if you're about to cost us a championship - and the next game you could be saviour of the team. I'll never understand this...

For Laviolette, he's touted as heroic every Wednesday night - after some of the people hear his speeches on that documentary. And then something happens like last night, and he needs to be fired.

iamcanadian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
i think couts has played well enough to earn a spot on a higher line and more ice time, and some other lines should be shuffled around bc the flyers are quickly becoming a one line team.
They're already there, really. A lot of our offense has come from rookies and other players (Talbot, for example) performing well above their heads. Once they got worn out/came back to earth, this was pretty inevitable. It's the risk Holmgren took by trading a big chunk of the offensive depth...however, it should resolve itself in time as the younger players come into their own (more likely than not, it won't be this season). Until then, it shouldn't be surprising if those guys are inconsistent or go through painful cold streaks

JVR's rumored injury and Briere's overall disappearance as a major factor have only aggravated that situation. The entire team is hurt by the fact that Bryz hasn't come close to playing as expected/needed. I'm hoping that Schenn can help provide some relief on offense. We will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcanadian23 View Post
I'm not here often enough to know what your opinion has been on Laviolette specifically, through the course of the season. The following post really has nothing to do with you, just seeing alot of hate for Laviolette - and quoted something about him on here.

But in general, it appears as though Laviolette is another polarizing figure for what is seemingly one of the most volatile fanbases in the league. Do other teams fans really flip-flop on everyone this badly? One bad game for this team, and you're being dragged through the mud as if you're about to cost us a championship - and the next game you could be saviour of the team. I'll never understand this...

For Laviolette, he's touted as heroic every Wednesday night - after some of the people hear his speeches on that documentary. And then something happens like last night, and he needs to be fired.

You should see how Rangers fans felt about Torts prior to this season

01-03-2012, 01:54 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
I disagree:
1) First goal was not as weak as people make it to be;
2)Lundquist let in a weak goal as well (Bryz was torched at the stake on this boards last week for a similar goal);
3)the entire Flyers team stopped skating for a big chunk of the 3d period. I understand that loss of Jagr and a weak goal can deflate the team, but 2 goals against "invincible" goaltender did not stop Rangers.
And 4) our coach failed to react to the Tort's adjustments.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:08 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcanadian23 View Post

Well, I trully appreciate for not singling me out. And I do consider Lavi as a good coach, but flexibility is not his forte.

As of "flip-floping", I think a lot of people (me included)has raised these concerns even in 2010, when Lavi was a "knight in a shiny armor" in Philadelphia.

I want him to succeed here, heck I need him to succeed here- I have never wanted him fired. He has brought to Philly the exciting up tempo style of hockey that the team, the fan base have bought into.

I just would like him to win more of the "mental games" against other coaches.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:09 PM
i am dave

I stupidly erased the alumni game from my dvr before i had a chance to watch it. Anyone know if/when it will be replayed?

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:11 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
the 2nd goal was the only weak one. the other 2 were from bad positioning and a missed assignment. I wont argue the point that goaltending like many games was the difference in games for the Flyers this season.
of course many Flyer fans usually dont see the weak goals that the Flyers score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
2 goals on Lundqvist sometimes/more often than not has to be enough.
yep and the Flyers once again pissed away a winnable game. The Flyers made some mistakes in the game that cost them goals. 2 mistakes that could of been avoided and another weak goal allowed by a Flyer goalie.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:14 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Correct me if I'm wrong because I just thought of this in my head but, isn't Couturier the youngest player to play in a Winter Classic game?

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
JVR went to the top line when Jagr went out. i didnt have a problem with it. that line was great in the Final a couple of years ago and Lavi was hoping maybe it would get JVR going. Who do you put up in Jagr's spot? Briere? Read? Obviously it didnt work out. But that was hardly the reason the Flyers lost. The Rangers came out and wanted the 3rd period more then the Flyers did and paid the price.
if Jagr is out Thursday and longer I would suspect JVR will be on the top line.
Weren't you watching? He was taken off not long after in favor of Talbot and the line was much better with Talbot than JVR.

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote