HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Is there anything wrong with replacing one skate blade?

Old
01-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Devil Dancer

vCash: 500
Is there anything wrong with replacing one skate blade?

I broke a blade a week ago, and since one of my holders is missing a chunk, I ordered a replacement holder/blade combo. The problem is it only comes with one skate blade.

My skates are about 2 years old, and I don't think I've worn the blades down too much. I get them sharpened about once every 6 weeks.

Is this going to be a problem? Will I need another new blade?

Also, does a decently-stocked pro shop have blades for all skate models? I wear Easton SE 10s.

Thanks.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 01:42 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I broke a blade a week ago, and since one of my holders is missing a chunk, I ordered a replacement holder/blade combo. The problem is it only comes with one skate blade.

My skates are about 2 years old, and I don't think I've worn the blades down too much. I get them sharpened about once every 6 weeks.

Is this going to be a problem? Will I need another new blade?

Also, does a decently-stocked pro shop have blades for all skate models? I wear Easton SE 10s.

Thanks.
I would just go ahead and get both blades just to be safe, I've never been in that boat because I usually grow out of skates before I wear out the blades too much. I would think one blade would be higher than the other right? might feel kind of awkward for a while. And I think blades are pretty much universal(again not sure) but I think easton's blades will fit most easton skates if their the right size, but not positive. Might as well get 2 blades though because they're cheap enough.

EDIT* sorry I miss read and thought you said I HAVE worn them down. No you should be fine then, but if it is really going to worry you then go ahead and get 2. I play 3-6 times a week depending on the scheduling and I sharper them about 4 or 5 times on the ice, so lets say once a week. I have yet to wear my blades down to much.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 04:36 PM
AIREAYE

Depending on what steel/holder you bought (hopefully the Razor Bladz II holder) it definitely would be a good idea to buy another runner (should be the same as the one that came with the combo to ensure matching profiles/hardware) although if you had a trusted sharpener, you could ask them to match the new runner with the one you already have.

This is to ensure that the height of the steel/profile of the runner matches, whether it's 2 matching new ones or matching old ones.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

+1 to Air. I'd spring for two personally but if money's tight a new blade and profiling would work.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
+1 to Air. I'd spring for two personally but if money's tight a new blade and profiling would work.
Money's not a huge factor, except I'm fixing my old ones rather than buying new ones because of money, I was just wondering if my pro shop will have blades to match my holder/skates. If they don't, I'll order another one. If they do, I'll get one from the pro shop and be all set.

Thanks.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:07 PM
r3cc0s

maybe its here in Canada, but most places here carry blades to fit all makes and also carry all holders (i.e. rbk e-pro, tuuks, grafs etc..)

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote