HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Philly going after Comrie (Link)

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2003, 04:38 AM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Modano and JR are also both over 6' foot and 190 pounds. They have at least 20 pounds on Comrie.
"Comrie packed 186 pounds onto the ice for his first session with Pearn after pushing big iron under Goodman, and he'll continue his regimen here under trainer Simon Bennett. Comrie's thumb is fine, and his resolve to prove his late-season struggles were the exception rather than the rule is unequivocal." - Source

Just a note...don't mind me.

Old
11-05-2003, 05:45 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
I think Gagne would fit Edmonton, and Edmonton would fit Gagne.
He fits just fine in Philadelphia.

Also the Flyers have almost no young wingers in the system, while they have a number of young centers. If Gagne were ever to be traded it would likely be for a winger in return ala Smyth.

Old
11-05-2003, 05:55 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by kAsT
"Comrie packed 186 pounds onto the ice for his first session with Pearn after pushing big iron under Goodman, and he'll continue his regimen here under trainer Simon Bennett. Comrie's thumb is fine, and his resolve to prove his late-season struggles were the exception rather than the rule is unequivocal." - Source

Just a note...don't mind me.
Which still isn't over 190 pounds. Roenick is 211. Modano is 205. JCD's point stands.

Old
11-05-2003, 06:04 AM
JCD

What team's say a player weighs is kinda like what a women puts on their driver's license: It is what the player would like to weight, not what they actually do.

There is a great deal of liberties taken with them. Example, I saw Derek Plante not two weeks before he left to go play for Buffalo. In that two week span, he somehow gained about 15 pounds.

While Comrie may claim to be 186 pounds, just as JR claims to be 211, I am highly skeptical of both.

Comrie is a small guy. No two ways about it.

Old
11-05-2003, 06:07 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD
What team's say a player weighs is kinda like what a women puts on their driver's license: It is what the player would like to weight, not what they actually do.

There is a great deal of liberties taken with them. Example, I saw Derek Plante not two weeks before he left to go play for Buffalo. In that two week span, he somehow gained about 15 pounds.

While Comrie may claim to be 186 pounds, just as JR claims to be 211, I am highly skeptical of both.

Comrie is a small guy. No two ways about it.
Very true. The weights I got are off of ESPN, but they probably don't reflect the weight drop that Roenick did in the summer. But it doesn't matter. Roenick and Modano are relatively big guys, Comrie is not.

Old
11-05-2003, 07:08 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Very true. The weights I got are off of ESPN, but they probably don't reflect the weight drop that Roenick did in the summer. But it doesn't matter. Roenick and Modano are relatively big guys, Comrie is not.
Does it matter? Look at how many big guys are on the Flyers and where does it get them every year? I'm sure Comrie wouldn't have to worry about being pushed around too much.

Old
11-05-2003, 07:19 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Does it matter? Look at how many big guys are on the Flyers and where does it get them every year? I'm sure Comrie wouldn't have to worry about being pushed around too much.
Flyers are big and slow is a misconception of what the Flyers used to be like.

Only skaters for the Flyers that would be considered below average skaters are: Handzus, LeClair, and Therien if he plays.

The list of skaters that have better than average speed are: Williams, Gagne, Amonte, Recchi, Roenick, Kapanen, Johnsson, Pitkanen, Lapointe, even Brashear & Primeau while not having the best agaility have above average straight ahead speed.

Average skaters would include: Weinrich, Somik, Ragnarsson, Desjardins (but incredible agility) and Vandermeer.

Flyers are also not as big and phsyical as they have been in the past, another reason why Handzus & Primeau are so valuable to the team.

Old
11-05-2003, 07:19 AM
Fire Bobby Clarke

Comrie is a skilled player with a big motor...I've seen him lay nice hits, he's fast, young and has some upside...but from what I see on this board people saying he is just as good as gags and has more upside is crazy...you edmontoniains must be going to BC and smoking some of their fine herbs.

I think Comrie would fit in fine with Philly...I'd be willing to give up Kapanen/Sidenberg/Brashear/Therien/Somik or picks...but no Williams, Gagne or Wowitka(sp?)

As someone said above if we gave up Gagne we would need a winger in return..I would love to see Ryan Smyth in Flyer jersey.

Old
11-05-2003, 08:00 AM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Bobby Clarke

I think Comrie would fit in fine with Philly...I'd be willing to give up Kapanen/Sidenberg/Brashear/Therien/Somik or picks...but no Williams, Gagne or Wowitka(sp?)
Lowe won't be interested in any of those players. It probably does not make sense for Philly and Edmonton to trade. As several posters have stated, Philadelphia does not have room for another centerman. Plus without at least a Williams, Wowitka or Gagne coming back, I don't see Lowe giving up Comrie.

Old
11-05-2003, 08:18 AM
JCD

Quote:
Ah, the eternal question...

Does size matter?

Old
11-05-2003, 08:23 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD
Ah, the eternal question...

Does size matter?
Yes and no to that question. Fleury, and kariya have always played well for their small size, and I can't see why the same can't hold true for Comrie, especially if traded to the Flyers who would have big wingers supporting him.

Some small players get pushed around quite easily, but you can't go wrong if the talent and production is there.

Old
11-05-2003, 08:29 AM
Gags1288

Quote:
Yes and no to that question. Fleury, and kariya have always played well for their small size, and I can't see why the same can't hold true for Comrie, especially if traded to the Flyers who would have big wingers supporting him.

Some small players get pushed around quite easily, but you can't go wrong if the talent and production is there.
Just out of curiosity, who are those big wingers you speak of? Gagne, Williams, Kapanen, Recchi, and Amonte are 5 of the Flyers top 6 wingers, the only big one is John Leclair. I'm glad that both teams fans have realized that the deal just won't work.

Old
11-05-2003, 03:14 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288
I'm glad that both teams fans have realized that the deal just won't work.
i guess that means we'll have a deal this weekend...

11-05-2003, 03:46 PM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Quote:
Which still isn't over 190 pounds. Roenick is 211. Modano is 205. JCD's point stands.
I wasn't disputing it. I was just noting that he put on some weight over the summer and is very close to 190 (atleast according to that report) incase you were looking at NHL.com's screwed up stats or whatever.

Old
11-05-2003, 05:01 PM
strokes555

What about

comrie, J smith

for pitkanen

Old
11-05-2003, 05:02 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokes555
What about

comrie, J smith

for pitkanen
If Kevin Lowe doesn't make this deal, he deserves to be fired.

Old
11-05-2003, 05:04 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
If Kevin Lowe doesn't make this deal, he deserves to be fired.

Not being offered so no worries.

Old
11-05-2003, 05:42 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 4909
Not sure why most people feel that you need 6'4 centre's to win in this league......how big were the Devils centre's last year when they won the cup? Nieuwendyk doesn't count since he didn't play in the finals....

Old
11-05-2003, 07:15 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop89
Not sure why most people feel that you need 6'4 centre's to win in this league......how big were the Devils centre's last year when they won the cup? Nieuwendyk doesn't count since he didn't play in the finals....
Scott Gomez ~ 5' 11"
John Madden ~ 5' 11"
Pascal Rheaume ~ 6' 1"
Michael Rupp ~ 6' 5"

Old
11-05-2003, 08:49 PM
FacelessButcher

Heard on the radio today that both Anaheim and Phillidelphia made offers to the Oilers.(no names or specifics mentioned)

Old
11-05-2003, 09:24 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy
yeah, but it doesn't look to me like trading Niinimaa was worth acquiring Torres...
You might want to check the stats page before making a comment like that... not only is Torres putting up the points he's doing great as the key energy guy of the team.

Old
11-05-2003, 09:28 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
Try watching Kappy play, he is not wimpy, he finishes every check.
Wimps dont usually play on the checking line alongside Brashear and Primeau.

Yeah, Brashear already has the role of wimp on lock

Closed Thread