HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs sign Josh Gorges to a 6-year extension worth a reported 3.9mill per season

Old
01-03-2012, 10:51 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I love how you use the PK as a positive point for Hammer. I love Hammer, no need to explain to me how good he is and can be.

But Gorges is on our PK and it's a Top-3 PK in the league. Such a moot point.

Gorges is getting 5.8% of the cap. Who cares?! It's minimal money. If we get rid of Gomez, that's enough money to sign Gorges and a good 2nd pairing defenseman (would rather spend on a good 3rd line winger to maximize the offensive lines)- except we have a lot of defense coming up in our system.

Weber? Offensive.
Diaz? Two-way ala Hamrlik (though less physical).
Subban? Offensive with a budding defensive game.
Markov? Two way elite defenseman.

When Markov comes back (and Gill is gone), this defense is bordering top of the division.

Diaz and Emelin, are without a doubt, Top-6 defenseman now.

Gorges and Markov are top pairing guys and Subban (aside from rough stretches) is getting there.

Kaberle has been no worse than Wiz since coming to Montreal defensively. He doesn't have the physical aspect, but he's smarter.

Markov - Subban
Kaberle - Gorges
Emelin - Diaz
Weber

Looks ****ing awesome to me. Gorges is good enough to counter-act Kaberle's weaknesses, which may make him even more useful.

Plus, we may be able to knab someone up off of Free Agency too for more support, although, with the way the kids are playing, we don't really need it.
You very well may be right. I just want my point understood. Again it's not about having Hamrlik - it's about having another well rounded d-man. That's where I wanted to see the money spent. Why? Because this team plays a D system first and if one of Markov or Subban go down what you see this year is what you get.

There are good, younger d-men in this league than Gorges, Emelin and Diaz. Washington has about four of them. NYR team has quite a few and we all know who one of them is. And I'd say their learning curves are higher than Diaz, Gorges and Emelin. If Markov is continuously in and out of this lineup this signing will look even more foolish. Let's suppose Markov doesn't even come back? I know a lot of speculation here and we'll just have to wait and see how it pans out.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:00 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
He gets a lot of facts incorrect to try and prove his point.
Sounds like another guy on this forum I know

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:14 AM
neofury*

How dumb do you have to be to think this is a bad signing?

To me it isn't even a matter of opinion but a matter of intelligence. It's been explained in a pretty easy to understand way that his cap hit is perfectly acceptable and comparable to similar players. It's also painfully obvious how important he is to our team. I love how people try to say he isn't, yeah then you'll expect to be taken seriously in other threads I'm sure.

If you don't see what Gorges brings to this team then the only thing you likely do see is a W/L/OTL column and maybe GP-G-A-PTS-PIM. Seriously.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:16 AM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Yes because Tom Brady was never the same, Wisniewski was never the same and neither was Frank Gore after all their ACL surgeries...
Pretty sure having multiple surgeries for the same injury on the same leg in 3 years is common with all of them?

Also throwing is equivalent to skating right.

Learne something new. Thanks.

Old
01-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenRetina View Post
Pretty sure having multiple surgeries for the same injury on the same leg in 3 years is common with all of them?

Also throwing is equivalent to skating right.

Learne something new. Thanks.
I'm pretty sure that is why he used Wisniewski as an example.

Also it's been two surgeries in two years, not three in three. The other injury you are thinkin about is when Price cut his achilles tendon.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:39 AM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

To me it isn't even a matter of opinion but a matter of intelligence. It's been explained in a pretty easy to understand way that his cap hit is perfectly acceptable and comparable to similar players. It's also painfully obvious how important he is to our team. I love how people try to say he isn't, yeah then you'll expect to be taken seriously in other threads I'm sure.

If you don't see what Gorges brings to this team then the only thing you likely do see is a W/L/OTL column and maybe GP-G-A-PTS-PIM. Seriously.
Agreed.. I'm sure you've noticed that it's always the same select few who constantly complain and whine about everything here.. Last week after the Tampa game it was how terrible Price is and that he should be traded and now they're on Gorges case..

The only way to win with these people is to make them disappear since all they want to do is stir the pot here..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

There is risk in any trade or signing , some people like yourself fail to see it so they call out the "dumb" people who are capable of seeing two sides of the coin.

You don't have to be a Gorges hater or someone who doesn't appreciate what he brings to wonder if a 6 year deal was the way to go on this player.

I don't think Gauthier can realistically expect to be around in 6 years, and strictly from a what-happens-next point of view he should not be able to take decisions away from his successor with this type of term. Gorges is no Gomez but on the other hand there is nothing special enough about him to warrant a 6 year lock up.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:49 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I don't think Gauthier can realistically expect to be around in 6 years, and strictly from a what-happens-next point of view he should not be able to take decisions away from his successor with this type of term. Gorges is no Gomez but on the other hand there is nothing special enough about him to warrant a 6 year lock up.
There isn't a GM in the universe that would operate like this. Come on.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:51 AM
compile
Give me Scotch!

Quote:

Nicely said.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:53 AM
compile
Give me Scotch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I'm pretty sure that is why he used Wisniewski as an example.

Also it's been two surgeries in two years, not three in three. The other injury you are thinkin about is when Price cut his achilles tendon.
Umm Markov had to have a 2nd surgery like a month or 2 ago.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:56 AM
WhiskeySeven
H0CKEYY1NS1DERR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
You do realize you're quoting the poster formerly known as EarlTheHabsFan aka EarlThe HalakFan aka JimCareyPrice.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Gainey had term limits on his contract lengths to promote "flexibility" in the roster and to limit the inevitable "regret" that happens on long deals. It was one philosophy of his I agreed with.

I see people writing here about 6,7, 8 year and longer terms on contracts they want the players to sign because they are playing fairly well RIGHT NOW. It is impossible to know what a player, especially one with 2 knee surgeries under his belt, will be contributing to the roster in 1 or 2 years, let alone 6.5 years from now. History says we probably won't like this deal in a few years time.

Signing Gorges was a good thing to do, 6 years not so good.

Old
01-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
You do realize you're quoting the poster formerly known as EarlTheHabsFan aka EarlThe HalakFan aka JimCareyPrice.

I fully predicted the convergence of current team and management problems and the current mess over a year ago, you should probably bookmark some of my posts for reference to learn a thing or two.

given your preoccupation with names, Whiskey 7 is unrefined swill suited to children whose drinking experience is limited to what can be had from secretly raiding the cheap shelf from dad's liquor cabinet.

Old
01-03-2012, 12:40 PM
WhiskeySeven
H0CKEYY1NS1DERR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I fully predicted the convergence of current team and management problems and the current mess over a year ago, you should probably bookmark some of my posts for reference to learn a thing or two.

given your preoccupation with names, Whiskey 7 is unrefined swill suited to children whose drinking experience is limited to what can be had from secretly raiding the cheap shelf from dad's liquor cabinet.
On the topic of "correctness", your only agenda has been to bash the team and its direction at every move. Bad moves, good moves, lateral moves - no matter. So ofcourse you'll be right in some situations but to predict that the Habs will suck in some indeterminable length of time in the future? Well that just makes you Nostra ****ing damus doesn't it?

You've been wrong at every turn because you're approaching and making predictions from a position of extreme ignorance and intolerable arrogance. You don't know better than Pierre Gauthier, and never will.

Try to see their work as done by professionals who truly want to win, and then you can put a little bit of faith in their work. They haven't won a cup but they sure as hell never tanked, never been an easy team to face and have been a perennial contender for a playoff spot (until now).

This year? This year falls on the coach, who was given his due diligence and time to turn things around and failed at it, twice.

The Markov signing was fine at the time and looks bleak now. **** happens when you gamble with injuries, I'd rather keep a superstar d-man than let him walk (or hobble, as the case may be).

This current Gorges signing? At market value and term, he's a core member and a good, nay, great d-man. Hamrlik, the unhealthy ****, got 5.5m in 2007 cap dollars. Gorges' money is going to look great two or three years from now.

How's Halak doing? Wait - I don't give a ****. He was bound to be traded no matter what, he just isn't a good enough goalie to replace Carey Price for any sustainable length of time. Oh, and you were wrong about him, and about Price. So so so wrong.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
On the topic of "correctness", your only agenda has been to bash the team and its direction at every move. Bad moves, good moves, lateral moves - no matter. So ofcourse you'll be right in some situations but to predict that the Habs will suck in some indeterminable length of time in the future? Well that just makes you Nostra ****ing damus doesn't it?

You've been wrong at every turn because you're approaching and making predictions from a position of extreme ignorance and intolerable arrogance. You don't know better than Pierre Gauthier, and never will.

Try to see their work as done by professionals who truly want to win, and then you can put a little bit of faith in their work. They haven't won a cup but they sure as hell never tanked, never been an easy team to face and have been a perennial contender for a playoff spot (until now).

This year? This year falls on the coach, who was given his due diligence and time to turn things around and failed at it, twice.

The Markov signing was fine at the time and looks bleak now. **** happens when you gamble with injuries, I'd rather keep a superstar d-man than let him walk (or hobble, as the case may be).

This current Gorges signing? At market value and term, he's a core member and a good, nay, great d-man. Hamrlik, the unhealthy ****, got 5.5m in 2007 cap dollars. Gorges' money is going to look great two or three years from now.

How's Halak doing? Wait - I don't give a ****. He was bound to be traded no matter what, he just isn't a good enough goalie to replace Carey Price for any sustainable length of time. Oh, and you were wrong about him, and about Price. So so so wrong.
Well your last statement is completely false.. because he did replace Price for a sustainable amount of time. And Halak has turned it back around after a shaky start and is playing exceptionally well.

Either way, this thread isn't about that, and I support your opinion on Gorges, so keep it on topic before I have to give you an infraction for disagreeing with me lol joking.

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Elliotte Friedman suggests Gorges wouldn't have come at much of a discount for the same term this past summer:

Quote:
22. Montreal talked about a five-year extension with Josh Gorges during the summer, but couldn't get it done. One of the reasons? The offer wasn't as high as the $3.9 million the two sides finally agreed to just after Christmas. In the end, the Canadiens realized that if they needed to replace Gorges through free agency, it was probably going to cost at least that much. And you may not know the replacement as well as you know Gorges.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Elliotte Friedman suggests Gorges wouldn't have come at much of a discount for the same term this past summer:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html
That still won't quiet the anti-management crowd. It may not be the best management, but that it doesn't mean they are incapable of making a good move.

Good signing, I consider Gorges a core player and am happy he is with the team for the long term.

Old
01-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
That still won't quiet the anti-management crowd. It may not be the best management, but that it doesn't mean they are incapable of making a good move.

Good signing, I consider Gorges a core player and am happy he is with the team for the long term.
Seriously, let's say he could have signed for $3.5M in the summer, but only for 5-years. I'm glad we're paying the extra $400K per year for an extra year of Josh "Mr. Stability" Gorges.

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

In the absence of intelligence, logic, facts, or anything resembling common sense an HFboard's poster will usually turn to the word Halak. Like it erases stupidity, trumps facts, or proves that certain fans are to blame for their own misguided beliefs in incompetent management.

Seems we have our own version of Goodwin's Law around here.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Andy

Quote:
Seriously, let's say he could have signed for $3.5M in the summer, but only for 5-years. I'm glad we're paying the extra $400K per year for an extra year of Josh "Mr. Stability" Gorges.
Considering how much people were mad at the thought the Gorges might go in the off-season, I really thought this signing would have pleased everyone, especially that it was done mid-season and on the same day that a contract could have been signed.

I guess some people just can't be pleased unless we trade a 7th rounder for Crosby.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:06 PM
sheed36

Quote:
We should happy that Gorges even wanted to stay in Montreal for another 6 years considering all the crap surrounding the Habs this season..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
We should happy that Gorges even wanted to stay in Montreal for another 6 years considering all the crap surrounding the Habs this season..
are you crazy? He's not worth a 7th rounder. He's got a soft brain

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
Komisarek was our number 2 defencemen and played pretty well doesn't mean he really was a number 2 d like we have seen after he changed team.

Gorges should 't be more than a four or fifth d we clearly are a losing team when we put him above that role.

I don't want to pay a guy like Gorges with our four million I'd rather use 2 more million and sign a game changer. Let Emelin replace Gorges he is well on his way to be better than him anyway
We need both Emelin and Gorges. Jeez some of you are clueless.

LOL at adding another 2M for a game changer. So 6M gives you a game changer? Really? Wiz at 6.5M sure changed everything in Columbus

And yes, keep focusing on certain stats and not the others to prove Gorges is not worth 3.9M. All there is in hockey is offense. That's how you win championships

Let's ignore Gorges is the key man to a top PK in the league, that he is number 1 for blocked shots, as a + rating on a negative team because he plays great defense and is on pace for 20 pts without a wiff of the PP. He's currently 90th in D for pts on one of the worse offensive team in the league (that's number 3 per team by dividing 90th by 30 teams). BTW, he's 45th for Dmen with 60 hits, so lol at not being physical. He might not be big, but he uses his body like a real pro. And I did not even talk about his leadership skills and him being a key person to keep for Price.

Any how, anyone complaining about this signing is ignorant and a person that goes threw life complaining and never being happy. The cap is not 39M like in 2005. It's like signing him at 2.4M back then, a 6% cap hit, not that bad for a solid second pairing Dman.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Subban76

Quote:

Honestly, I have given up on considering the majority of people being smart. A population is just that, an average group with limited brain possibilities that follow like sheeps. That's what you get out of a fan base also. A limited % of the population is considered smart, same with a fan base. Just look at the threads and posts on HF, what more proof do you need? Do like I do, consider your self one of the lucky smart ones and ignore the sheeps.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Dekar

Gorges doesn't need to score goals to be worth his contract. He prevents goals. He has a largely positive impact on the Habs' collective goal-differential, and therefore is a piece to a winning team.

Unfortunately not many others are also playing like winning pieces this season. This was a good signing.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote