HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Craig Custance-Rangers suited for long-term success

Old
01-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Pizza

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
This is exactly what a lot of us on this board have been hoping to see for a long time, even before the trade deadline of 2004, before the drafting of Brendl and Lundmark and likely the day Neil Smith decided to trade Keane and Skrudland for Todd Harvey. It is a predominantly homegrown squad, that has grown up together, with a tangible identity and mindset. They work hard and do not back down. The braintrust has drafted players that fit this mindset. This is a reward to all of us who have believed you can construct a team like this in New York.
Totally, completely agree.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Yellot00tr

I understand the need to keep space for our own guys, but the thought of pairing Gaborik and Parise together makes me salivate. Imagine having BR center that line and having them find some chemistry? I mean, come on-that would be absurd.

Yellot00tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:52 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellot00tr View Post
I understand the need to keep space for our own guys, but the thought of pairing Gaborik and Parise together makes me salivate. Imagine having BR center that line and having them find some chemistry? I mean, come on-that would be absurd.
Parise-Richards-Gaborik

Kreider-Stepan-Callahan

Hagelin-Anisimov-Dubinsky

Rupp-Boyle-Prust

Sweet!

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:53 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellot00tr View Post
That does not interest me in the slightest. Given the success this organization is having in terms of developing their prospect, I am much more looking forward to Kreider and Miller taking their respective places along the current group, than bringing in Parise.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

We are not getting Parise.

And with the amount of success this team is having with its ELC players like Stepan, McDonagh and Hagelin, I haven't the slightest why we'd want to lock up another 7 million of the cap long term.

01-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Rangerfan4life90

You guys serious? If we have a chance at Parise we have to do it. I feel this team is one top 6 winger away from being completely dangerous and Parise fits our team identity very well.

Not to mention then will have guys like Kreider come up as well. Holy S*it!

But I doubt the Devils let Parise walk but stranger things have happened.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:03 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I think the point will end up being moot anyway, for my money Parise is heading West.

01-03-2012, 11:05 AM
OverTheCap

This is yet another reason why good drafting is so important, to have players come up together through the system, that comradery is already there and players can fit seamlessly in the lineup. It also helps that many of our prospects and young players have played together in college or on Team USA.

I know most Rangers fans are looking at ways to improve the team, but when I see members of our homegrown core in trade proposals, I can't help but think that getting rid of some of those guys would disrupt the chemistry and familiarity that these players have built throughout the years. The Rangers have a good thing going right now.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:07 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
You guys serious? If we have a chance at Parise we have to do it. I feel this team is one top 6 winger away from being completely dangerous and Parise fits our team identity very well.

Not to mention then will have guys like Kreider come up as well. Holy S*it!

But I doubt the Devils let Parise walk but stranger things have happened.
And then there's that matter of the salary cap.... What will fans be saying when we start losing key players due to salary cap constraints? Look at how many promising young players we have currently on the roster... How will we afford to retain and pay them if we have $28 mil tied up in Henke, Richards, Gaborik, & Parise???

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:10 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I think the team has been a tremendous surprise so far. I still think they need a few pieces to make a playoff run. A top 6 winger who will play phyiscal (that is unless Dubi stays hot and his scoring touch comes around). I think they could still use a vet on the blueline (a bottom pairing guy). Bickel, Woywikta, Stralman, and Eminger have performed admirably, but I still think there needs to be an upgrade over those three. Someone like Hal Gill.

01-03-2012, 11:12 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
It's impressive to see all of these kids come up through the system and contribute, and the hired gun mentality slowly start to fade away. Even more impressive is that the Rangers continue to pluck gems from trades and the unsigned player market.

Love the makeup of this team, and I love the kind of players we're developing. Very exciting time to be a Rangers fan.
It's like they are playing Moneyball. Lulz.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:20 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
This is yet another reason why good drafting is so important, to have players come up together through the system, that comradery is already there and players can fit seamlessly in the lineup. It also helps that many of our prospects and young players have played together in college or on Team USA.

I know most Rangers fans are looking at ways to improve the team, but when I see members of our homegrown core in trade proposals, I can't help but think that getting rid of some of those guys would disrupt the chemistry and familiarity that these players have built throughout the years. The Rangers have a good thing going right now.
That's pretty much how I feel. AA, Stepan and Gaborik already have the chemistry that a few people are hoping to see a line of Parise, Richards and Gaborik MIGHT have. Before this season, i believed the Rangers likely needed to add a top pairing RH D-man to pair with to give them the "elite" top pairing I thought they needed to get over the top. I wanted to see the rangers deal for Brent Burns. Instead, Dan Girardi, (of whom I will admit, I have been as big a critic of as anyone on this board), takes his game to a level I did not believe he had in him. Del Zotto and McDonagh reach a level of play I was not expecting to see for another few years. In my mind, a potential weakness becomes filled from within. Now, look at Stepan, whose development as a playmaking center, as well as his chemistry with Gaborik, allows the Rangers to develop two quality scoring lines. Who saw Hagelin putting up the numbers he has so far. And, so much of the Rangers is predicated on the team identity and mindset they have constructed internally.

Do people think that if the Rangers add Parise, they'll be winning 7-1 on a regular basis? This team is still in the upswing of their growth. They have players coming that will augment the current squad. The cap will become a factor in a few years. You cannot commit too much money to high ticket players in the cap era. I'd rather forgo a Parise, and keep the D intact, as well as holding onto a player like Anisimov.

Old
01-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
This is exactly what a lot of us on this board have been hoping to see for a long time, even before the trade deadline of 2004, before the drafting of Brendl and Lundmark and likely the day Neil Smith decided to trade Keane and Skrudland for Todd Harvey. It is a predominantly homegrown squad, that has grown up together, with a tangible identity and mindset. They work hard and do not back down. The braintrust has drafted players that fit this mindset. This is a reward to all of us who have believed you can construct a team like this in New York.
Yup. It's really a great feeling to see this team in action, and better yet, know that there is even more talent waiting in the wings. If Kreider, or any of our forward prospects, can become that additional top-six scorer we need, and McIlrath and/or Erixon reach their potential, not only will we have a fantastic team in the short term, but also one that can continue to fill holes from within.

A team built for long-term success. That's what we have here.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
But push on D .
The Rangers do tons of hitting, but it's not "hard" hitting..and more often than not it's the Ranger that ends up sitting on the ice after bouncing off the target. The Rangers play a physical game, but don't be fooled into thinking it's a Philly or Boston type of physical. I find it frustrating that as physical as we do play, we still end up on the short side of things as far a strength and toughness goes. I would like to be the bully from time to time instead of the guy getting picked on, I know that doesn't make you a good team per say, but I hate seeing the guy's skating away from confrontational situations every now and then. Even if you lose the fight you can still win the war. I don't think we're as soft as Joe Thornton thinks we are, but we're not a tough team by any means..

Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:36 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
Rangers look to be good for a while now. Funny, we pulled off a complete rebuild in only about 5 years while still being a playoff team nearly the entire time. Meanwhile, some teams (one just a few miles to the east) have been in rebuild mode for two decades and still have nothing to show for it. Makes me happy.

Summer of 2013 might get scary thought. Ani, Step, Sauer, Hagelin, McD all need new deals at the same time. RFAs, but still most likely looking at about 15 million right there. eek.

And if 2013 is the "Summer of the RFA", then 2014 is the "UFA-Fest 2014" with Lundqvist, Cally, Girardi, and Gabby (or his replacement) up for the big bucks. ouch.

That will be two big hits in a row there. I hope the cap can absorb it.

This summer though, looks like it will be pretty tame in NYC, and thats not a bad thing. Just wrap up MDZ, and find a way to keep Biron in town. Not too bad.
Lundqvist isn't getting much more than he is making now. They will commit years to him, but his annual salary is going to be pretty much where it is now.

Cally? I think similar money to what he is getting today as well. I love Callahan, but paying 50+ point player 6+ million is not something I am prepared to do.

Girardi could expect a bump if he continues his good play.

Gaborik is gone., or he stays at the same salary or less.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:42 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
New York head coach John Tortorella can be very tough, but it's clear the Rangers respond to him. Why? Several players say it's because they respect the fact he treats every player the same, no matter where they fit in the lineup. One added that if you have a couple of bad shifts in a row, he makes it clear you may not get many more.
Quote:
Another thing Tortorella does well is leave the room to the players. He's pretty careful about letting Ryan Callahan, Dan Girardi, Brad Richards and the returning Marc Staal handle those issues.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:55 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
As I said in another thread, I'm coming around on Torts. Funny how winning has that effect.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:08 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
As I said in another thread, I'm coming around on Torts. Funny how winning has that effect.
It does but I see a much different guy than the one who took over the team from Renney. He seems to have less of a chip on his shoulder.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:12 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Been waiting a long time to say that, eh?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:12 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It does but I see a much different guy than the one who took over the team from Renney. He seems to have less of a chip on his shoulder.

Kind of saw the same thing happen with another coach in this town that eventually led to winning a championship.

Old
01-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Agreed 100%

But makes me wonder if he had such a chip on his shoulder 2 years ago because he had a lot of garbage to deal with in that room? Still not a legitimate excuse for being such a huge ******* during the early stages, but maybe it contributed.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Quote:
Another thing Tortorella does well is leave the room to the players. He's pretty careful about letting Ryan Callahan, Dan Girardi, Brad Richards and the returning Marc Staal handle those issues.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html
That's something that really impresses me. I noticed it on 24/7 when they were watching video before the Blues game and Torts asked Cally what time they were going to leave. Seems like he really lets his leaders make all kinds of decisions for the team.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:17 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Been waiting a long time to say that, eh?
You know it, brother. Hard to believe it's actually occurring the way some of us have hoped all along. Hell, I expected them to be good, but not this good. I'm still not of the belief they are a championship-caliber team just yet, but, I wouldn't be shocked if they did end up winning it all right now.

Old
01-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Blueblood9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
Rangers look to be good for a while now. Funny, we pulled off a complete rebuild in only about 5 years while still being a playoff team nearly the entire time. Meanwhile, some teams (one just a few miles to the east) have been in rebuild mode for two decades and still have nothing to show for it. Makes me happy.

Summer of 2013 might get scary thought. Ani, Step, Sauer, Hagelin, McD all need new deals at the same time. RFAs, but still most likely looking at about 15 million right there. eek.

And if 2013 is the "Summer of the RFA", then 2014 is the "UFA-Fest 2014" with Lundqvist, Cally, Girardi, and Gabby (or his replacement) up for the big bucks. ouch.

That will be two big hits in a row there. I hope the cap can absorb it.

This summer though, looks like it will be pretty tame in NYC, and thats not a bad thing. Just wrap up MDZ, and find a way to keep Biron in town. Not too bad.
i think suaer could be used in a trade if healthy before then. Correct me if im wrong but isnt mcilrath the same mold? Plus with all the depth at D we can flip for more prospects or a top 6 foward etc.

This is how its done in every sport. and how we need to start to do things to be a constant contender. when a log jam is there flip, replace replenish. Hell i can see dubi traded with krieder and thomas coming and the emergence of hagelin.

Also we need to start locking up our young kids to long term deals now before the contracts end.

Blueblood9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:21 PM
True Blue

Quote:
You know it, brother. Hard to believe it's actually occurring the way some of us have hoped all along. Hell, I expected them to be good, but not this good. I'm still not of the belief they are a championship-caliber team just yet, but, I wouldn't be shocked if they did end up winning it all right now.
Can't buy into them being championship just yet, but stranger things have happened. And if a hot goalie is what you have....

I was just talking about the 11-- shellacking this team got after the Jagr trade. Long ways away. I remember wistfully looking at the Devils of the 90's (heck, weren't we all?). They would always produce players to plug holes. Now, the Rangers are doing that. A team that we can all root for.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote