HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Trade Rumors/Proposals/Possible Deadline Pickups

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2012, 01:09 PM
bleedblackandgold

vCash: 500
All Trade Rumors/Proposals/Possible Deadline Pickups

Take it for what it is worth, as it is Eklund saying this...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...Hemsky/1/41021

What would we have to give for Hemsky?

Old
01-03-2012, 01:15 PM
cashisking

I hope not. My wife is an Edmonton fan so I've seen quite a bit of him this year. He's a shell of his former self. He shies away from contact, especially with that bad shoulder he's got and he sulks when he doesn't get his way. If you cant get excited about playing with Hall, Eberle and the Nuge then you might as well hang them up.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:18 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblackandgold View Post

If Ray Shero isn't willing to move Bennett or a 1st for Hemsky (and I wouldn't be given Hemsky's injury history and impending UFA status), then I'm not sure the Pens have the pieces left to win that bidding war. I mean, Tangradi and a 2nd? Don't you think Detroit or Buffalo will top that? Or, do you consider moving TK, something like TK and a 2nd? Does that really get it done?

I could see the Pens being interested in Hemsky for the PP and as a skilled RW to play with Staal until Sid comes back or full time if he doesn't. Or, maybe you shift Neal to LW and go with Neal-Geno-Hemsky on the Sidless Pens. Not sure I like it.

That said, I'd anticipate that the Pens only get him IF the Oilers can't get the price they're initially going to set.

Old
BrookswasHere44

Tangradi + a pick..the poor kid gets no love from this organization and/or coaching staff. Might not be worth trading him for an iffy probable stop gap

Old
MtlPenFan

I'll YT it when i get home (and if this thread is still relevant), but after last night, no thanks.

Edmonton was leading with 11 seconds left and they iced the puck. Hemsky easily had a step on the D and could have ended the game without another faceoff in their zone, but he actually pulled up so he doesn't get hit and allowed the 'Hawks defenseman to touch it for icing.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:22 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I'll YT it when i get home (and if this thread is still relevant), but after last night, no thanks.

Edmonton was leading with 11 seconds left and they iced the puck. Hemsky easily had a step on the D and could have ended the game without another faceoff in their zone, but he actually pulled up so he doesn't get hit and allowed the 'Hawks defenseman to touch it for icing.

Thanks, but no thanks.
Ouch . . . if that's the case, then no thanks is right.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Here's my take on Hemsky. He's not ideal because he's injury-prone and we've become ditto the last two seasons. BUT, he adds a serious amount of skill to this team. Will Bylsma use him properly? Will he go the Sykora-Sullivan route under Bylsma? Perhaps. But Hemsky's younger than both and still well in his prime. Plus, he is a puck-carrier who creates offense...something only two forwards on this team can do regularly (and 1 is concussed). Also, I think Hemsky could give the PP a real boost, as well.

What do we give up? Clearly, Edm wants defensemen. If we know Crosby's not coming back, we could afford Hemsky no matter the price in return. However, if Crosby's coming back, we need to dump salary in this deal.

I'd like a Hemsky-Martin deal, with Edmonton also giving us something else to off-set the fact our guy is signed long term and their guy's a UFA. If Martin refuses to waive his NTC, then maybe we'd have to look at moving Niskanen here. Or Orpik. Not crazy about either of those scenarios, to be honest. And financially, we'd have trouble fitting everybody in if the swap centered around Hemsky and Niskanen, I think.

Anyways, I'd be pretty upset if we gave up futures (i.e. Despres, Bennett, Tangradi, Bortuzzo) in a deal for a UFA winger. So my best guess is we'll kick the tires on Hemsky on July 1, but he'll likely wind up somewhere else before the trade deadline.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:24 PM
bleedblackandgold

Very unlikely Shero gives up a first for Hemsky, with the draft being in Pittsburgh this year. If a trade is made, then this may mean Sid is not coming back this year.

Old
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Did we seriously make a new thread for something Eklund said?

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Here's my take on Hemsky. He's not ideal because he's injury-prone and we've become ditto the last two seasons. BUT, he adds a serious amount of skill to this team. Will Bylsma use him properly? Will he go the Sykora-Sullivan route under Bylsma? Perhaps. But Hemsky's younger than both and still well in his prime. Plus, he is a puck-carrier who creates offense...something only two forwards on this team can do regularly (and 1 is concussed). Also, I think Hemsky could give the PP a real boost, as well.

What do we give up? Clearly, Edm wants defensemen. If we know Crosby's not coming back, we could afford Hemsky no matter the price in return. However, if Crosby's coming back, we need to dump salary in this deal.

I'd like a Hemsky-Martin deal, with Edmonton also giving us something else to off-set the fact our guy is signed long term and their guy's a UFA. If Martin refuses to waive his NTC, then maybe we'd have to look at moving Niskanen here. Or Orpik. Not crazy about either of those scenarios, to be honest. And financially, we'd have trouble fitting everybody in if the swap centered around Hemsky and Niskanen, I think.

Anyways, I'd be pretty upset if we gave up futures (i.e. Despres, Bennett, Tangradi, Bortuzzo) in a deal for a UFA winger. So my best guess is we'll kick the tires on Hemsky on July 1, but he'll likely wind up somewhere else before the trade deadline.
I have argued the idea of moving Martin or even Orpik, but it won't be for Hemsky. You're right about what he COULD add, but I'd only move Orpik in a Gogo style trade (where the forward isn't an impending UFA), nor would I move Martin for an impending UFA alone.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:26 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Very unlikely Shero gives up a first for Hemsky, with the draft being in Pittsburgh this year. If a trade is made, then this may mean Sid is not coming back this year.
Either that or they think the best case scenario is that Sid comes back right before the playoffs (for which the cap doesn't apply). No way you can add a 4M cap hit otherwise.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:31 PM
cashisking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Either that or they think the best case scenario is that Sid comes back right before the playoffs (for which the cap doesn't apply). No way you can add a 4M cap hit otherwise.
I'm having deja vu.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:37 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashisking View Post
I'm having deja vu.
Again?

Old
01-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

The offense could certainly use a boost with Sid and Letang likely out for a long time if not the rest of the season. I'm not sure Hemsky is the answer, but I'm sure Shero will kick the tires.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tangradi is offered. Maybe they've just soured on him that much. I also think guys like Strait, Bortuzzo etc. could be trade bait. Really don't see a 1st being moved or Morrow, Harrington, Bennett etc.

The idea of trading Martin has been discussed and is interesting. I don't think it will happen, but that would be the Ryan Whitney style trade. We'd probably get a veteran like Hemsky and a good prospect.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
If Ray Shero isn't willing to move Bennett or a 1st for Hemsky (and I wouldn't be given Hemsky's injury history and impending UFA status), then I'm not sure the Pens have the pieces left to win that bidding war. I mean, Tangradi and a 2nd? Don't you think Detroit or Buffalo will top that? Or, do you consider moving TK, something like TK and a 2nd? Does that really get it done?

I could see the Pens being interested in Hemsky for the PP and as a skilled RW to play with Staal until Sid comes back or full time if he doesn't. Or, maybe you shift Neal to LW and go with Neal-Geno-Hemsky on the Sidless Pens. Not sure I like it.

That said, I'd anticipate that the Pens only get him IF the Oilers can't get the price they're initially going to set.
That's such a big part of it...injuries moreso than UFA.

I said at the start of the year that I wouldn't trade much of consequence for Hemsky if he couldn't prove he could stay healthy for most of the year...well, not only has he been hurt for a good portion of the season, he's also seriously underperformed when he has been on the ice.

I'd still add him if the price were right (ie definitely not Bennett or a 1st), but like you say, that may not be enough.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
The offense could certainly use a boost with Sid and Letang likely out for a long time if not the rest of the season. I'm not sure Hemsky is the answer, but I'm sure Shero will kick the tires.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tangradi is offered. Maybe they've just soured on him that much. I also think guys like Strait, Bortuzzo etc. could be trade bait. Really don't see a 1st being moved or Morrow, Harrington, Bennett etc.

The idea of trading Martin has been discussed and is interesting. I don't think it will happen, but that would be the Ryan Whitney style trade. We'd probably get a veteran like Hemsky and a good prospect.
That was my thought process, as well. But I think, after further contemplation, we need more of a sure thing up front at this point. Crosby's too much of a question mark right now. And beyond the top line, we have too many offensively retarded players up front.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Flat Stanley

I read on TIOPS that the Pens are high on Tuomo Ruutu. Can play center or wing, is a nice physical, two way player, seems like he would fit on the Penguins.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:22 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I read on TIOPS that the Pens are high on Tuomo Ruutu. Can play center or wing, is a nice physical, two way player, seems like he would fit on the Penguins.
We've discussed Ruutu before here. I don't think Ruutu happens unless it's for Tangradi and a 2nd or TK and a 2nd, but I think Carolina can do better. In other words, I don't see Ray Shero dealing Bennett or a 1st for any potentially available impending UFA. The Hossa deal was a different story . . . Shero sees 1st round picks as 'gold' (his word) in the cap era, and the only reason he dealt it was because Hossa was an elite impact player who you thought you might have a chance, albeit a small one, to resign and who you saw making the team the prohibitive favorites in the East. Ruutu (and Hemsky) aren't that impact level, the chances of resigning either are none for cap reasons, and neither alone is going to make the Pens THE prohibitive favorite in the East, even with Sid.

The only exception I possibly could see is IF it were Selanne and the Pens were certain that Sid would be available for the playoffs. Otherwise, does anyone here see Shero dealing a 1st or Bennett for ANY impending UFA?

Old
01-03-2012, 02:29 PM
SkullSplitter

I'd rather get Ruutu, cheaper + maybe there's a way to re-sign him & Neal.

& Kirk, I disagree, I think Tangradi + 2nd or Kennedy + 2nd would get it done.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Slabber Chops

Quote:

I think the Pens are missing physicality as much as skill. I would prefer them to focus on the prior rather than shelling out big bikkies on another skill guy who won't be able to provide the team with what it lacks.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
So we're not happy enough with players getting injured here that we're going to sign players who are notoriously injury prone.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
i would much rather this

Old
01-03-2012, 02:43 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
I also read on TIOPS that the pigs fly and leprechauns are real.

Old
01-03-2012, 03:07 PM
GLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
I also read on TIOPS that the pigs fly and leprechauns are real.
wait wait wait! pigs cant fly and leprechauns arent real?! wtf thanks for ruining my day!

Old
01-03-2012, 03:23 PM
BrookswasHere44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabber Chops View Post
I think the Pens are missing physicality as much as skill. I would prefer them to focus on the prior rather than shelling out big bikkies on another skill guy who won't be able to provide the team with what it lacks.
For sure agree with the lack of physicality...oh Rupp

Closed Thread