HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Hot water for BC Hydro over Canucks suite? (Canucks losing sponsors?)

Old
01-03-2012, 12:55 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Hot water for BC Hydro over Canucks suite? (Canucks losing sponsors?)

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/H...269/story.html

Quote:
BC Hydro is unloading its luxury Canucks’ suite, saying it was the right thing to do during a time of upward pressure on rates for its customers, according to documents obtained by The Vancouver Sun.
The Crown corporation spent just under $1 million on Canucks’ suites and sponsorships between April 1, 2007, and Aug. 29, 2011.
Hydro also spent more than $10 million on charities and other sponsorships during the five-year period, also aimed largely at delivering a power conservation message.
The findings were obtained under a provincial freedom of information (FOI) request that also showed the B.C. Lottery Corp. spent $9.3 million on sponsorships, tickets and other promotions during the same period, largely with the Vancouver Canucks.
Earlier this year, BC Ferries refused to disclose how much it spends on tickets, suites and advertising at Rogers Arena, saying it was discontinuing a sponsorship deal with the Vancouver Canucks, under a separate FOI request.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:27 AM
objectiveposter

good... it makes no sense whatsoever for crown corporations to be buying corporate suites with taxpayer dollars.. i still dont understand why bc ferrys even has an advertising budget.. if you want to go to the island you take the ferry... its not like they have major competition...

objectiveposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:56 AM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by objectiveposter View Post
good... it makes no sense whatsoever for crown corporations to be buying corporate suites with taxpayer dollars.. i still dont understand why bc ferrys even has an advertising budget.. if you want to go to the island you take the ferry... its not like they have major competition...
While I agree Crown Corps shouldn't be spending any money on pro sports, BC Ferries does get a large amount of tourist traffic on the main routes, so they do need an advertising budget. I'm just not quite sure why they need to advertise in the Lower Mainland.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:17 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Neither one of them has any competition at all in BC. Period. Full stop. Beyond being a perk for extremely senior executive levels I cant imagine what they'd be doing with a suite at Rogers Arena. I suppose its possible it might be used to entertain their counterparts with various US authorities to whom BC sells' & exports excess hydro electricity, but there again, its not as if customers like California or other States have much choice in the matter if they wanna keep their grids fully charged. No need to be wining, dining & entertaining kilowatt kustomers from Washington, Idaho or Alberta. Another case of largesse' & generosity heaped upon already handsomely paid & pensioned civil servants. Close to $10M spent over 5yrs?. Thats all?. We got off cheap. During the Olympics various Crown Corporations, Federal & Provincial agencies spent more than that every single day over two weeks on tickets & scampi's...

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:35 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Having a box seems a bit crooked to me.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:43 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTN View Post
While I agree Crown Corps shouldn't be spending any money on pro sports, BC Ferries does get a large amount of tourist traffic on the main routes, so they do need an advertising budget. I'm just not quite sure why they need to advertise in the Lower Mainland.
BC Ferries is a little different. It actually does make sense as taking the ferries up the Sunshine Coast, over to Victoria or wherever is an option for Lower Mainland residents, day-trips or overnight getaway options that should be promoted and advertised. BC Ferries is much more than just a public transit service. Its both a commercial necessity for the transportation of goods/commuters and a tourism/travel option, be you a local or visitor from out of province. People from say Burnaby or White Rock might decide to take the Ferry to Nanaimo or wherever for a weekend or day, ski Mount Washington instead of going to Sun Peaks or Whistler; visit the Museum in Victoria, go windsurfing on Lake Nitinat instead of Lake Okanagan or whatever if its top of mind.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:42 AM
cpcftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Neither one of them has any competition at all in BC. Period. Full stop. Beyond being a perk for extremely senior executive levels I cant imagine what they'd be doing with a suite at Rogers Arena. I suppose its possible it might be used to entertain their counterparts with various US authorities to whom BC sells' & exports excess hydro electricity, but there again, its not as if customers like California or other States have much choice in the matter if they wanna keep their grids fully charged. No need to be wining, dining & entertaining kilowatt kustomers from Washington, Idaho or Alberta. Another case of largesse' & generosity heaped upon already handsomely paid & pensioned civil servants. Close to $10M spent over 5yrs?. Thats all?. We got off cheap. During the Olympics various Crown Corporations, Federal & Provincial agencies spent more than that every single day over two weeks on tickets & scampi's...
I can't believe how bad things had gotten after a decade of Liberal rule... Still so much entitlement mentality in the public sector. Good on BC Hydro to take a step in the right direction.

cpcftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:15 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Kinda disagree with you there. Isn't that akin to saying there's no reason for crown corporations to be paying their CEO's million dollar salaries with taxpayer dollars. To get the proper talent they have to pay proper salary.

Same argument can be made that to get comparible talent to the private sector they have to provide comparible perks to the private sector. Which may include corporate suites.

and I'm not saying its necessarily the right thing to do but its a gross over simplification to say taxpayer dollars shouldn't be spent this way!! (Assuming that these crown corporations are in fact run by taxpayer dollars and not user fees. I'm not from BC)

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Having a box seems a bit crooked to me.
Doesn't MB Hydro have a luxury suite at the MTS Centre? And I know for a fact that MB Lotteries sponsors almost half of Seciton 328 with their 'MLC Flight Deck'.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote