HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Craig Custance-Rangers suited for long-term success

Old
01-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Dfence033

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
And then there's that matter of the salary cap.... What will fans be saying when we start losing key players due to salary cap constraints? Look at how many promising young players we have currently on the roster... How will we afford to retain and pay them if we have $28 mil tied up in Henke, Richards, Gaborik, & Parise???
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.500m) / Brad Richards ($6.666m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.875m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Carl Hagelin ($0.875m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / J.T. Miller ($1.275m)
Brandon Prust ($0.800m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Michael Rupp ($1.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.250m)
Michael Del Zotto ($2.500m) / Tim Erixon ($1.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

BUYOUTS: Chris Drury ($1.666m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,558,334; BONUSES: $1,987,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $741,666

It's doable. Even looking ahead to the next year (AA, DStep, Hags, McD, Sauer), Drury's cap hit is gone completely (1.67 mil), the carry-over bonus (not sure from whom) is gone (.527), moving Boyle (1.7), and Dubinsky (4.2) and a cap increase of even 3% (1.9), means 9.0 million more space. Kreider/Miller (whichever isn't here in 2012-13, although money is on Kreider over Miller) steps into Dubs role, and gives them about $15 million of space to play with to get the RFA's signed. The season after UFAs (Gaborik, Lundqvist, Girardi) only one will be getting a salary increase in all likelihood (can't see Gabs going over $7.5, or Lundy as much as I love him, isn't going to see much more than $6.875), and it's the lower one in Girardi. He already makes $3.325, and another 3% increase in cap leaves enough space to get him around $5 mil comfortably.

Next season:
Parise-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Hagelin-Stepan-Miller/Kreider
Prust-Boyle-Rupp
Staal-Girardi
McD-Sauer
MDZ-Erixon
Lundqvist/Biron

2012-2013:
Parise-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Anisimov-Callahan
Hagelin-Stepan-Miller
Prust-Rupp - XXX
Defense/Goal the same

2013-2014:
Parise-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Anisimov-Callahan
Hagelin-Stepan-Miller
Prust-Rupp- XXX
Defense/Goal the same

That's three CUP contending teams for the next 3 years with only a 4th line W and 7th D to fill on the cheap, and can be done internally, all within the cap, and doesn't assume any mythical monster jumps in salary cap, and doesn't assume any progression from any other prospects like Erixon, St. Croix, Fasth, etc. It's really not unrealistic to do, but will make things tight for 3+years, but also makes them an extremely difficult team to play against and a truly legit cup-contender while extending that window for another 2-3 years, and leaving the biggest pieces of the core intact (sans Dubinsky), while maintaining continuity for the most part throughout all the lines. Down the road, things like shipping out Richards + one of the blocked prospects can come into play to open up $6+ capspace if needed. The truth is, this team has a LOT of options, and should Parise come available this summer, the Rangers need to be taking a look.

Last edited by Dfence033: 01-03-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Dfence033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:10 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
You guys serious? If we have a chance at Parise we have to do it. I feel this team is one top 6 winger away from being completely dangerous and Parise fits our team identity very well.

Not to mention then will have guys like Kreider come up as well. Holy S*it!

But I doubt the Devils let Parise walk but stranger things have happened.
Two years ago, some people were obsessed with the idea of signing Kovalchuk. If we had, we wouldn't have Richards. Is anyone really regretting that we didn't sign him?

We don't need another 6+ mil player. We especially don't need one when we don't know what's going to happen with the salary cap. We're one of the youngest teams in the league and we're in 1st place in the entire league. We have many players who will continue to get better as they get older, players we may not be able to keep if we were to sign Parise.

Parise would be a luxury. A very expensive luxury that we really can't afford.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Dfence033

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
We don't need another 6+ mil player. We especially don't need one when we don't know what's going to happen with the salary cap. We're one of the youngest teams in the league and we're in 1st place in the entire league. We have many players who will continue to get better as they get older, players we may not be able to keep if we were to sign Parise.

Parise would be a luxury. A very expensive luxury that we really can't afford.
Every year it's the same story as to what's going to happen with the salary cap. And every year the result is the same. The NHLPA will NOT allow the salary cap to remain stagnant, much less decrease. It's not in their interests to just let that happen, not without significant rollbacks in salaries that include teams paying those salaries upfront to cover the losses at bare minimum. The small market teams that reducing the cap would benefit would end up forking over millions of dollars upfront to cover a rollback, ensuring that if it got that far, a vote would surely be turned down.

As for needing another $6 mil + player, true, the Rangers don't NEED one, but if one the caliber of Parise, who already fits this team to the letter and is the game-breaking star LW that this current roster is missing, comes available, to not even explore that as an option is silly. As for the bolded, yes they can afford a Parise (even at $7.5/year, see previous post) and the only difference it makes in 2 years is Dubinsky (being the current best LW) is upgraded to Parise, while opening up the 2nd LW spot for Kreider (who is likely by year 2 a cheaper Dubinsky anyway). If you can trade Dubinksy for Parise straight-up while keeping the rest of the current and long-term plans in tact, you do it.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:20 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfence033 View Post
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.500m) / Brad Richards ($6.666m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.875m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Carl Hagelin ($0.875m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / J.T. Miller ($1.275m)
Brandon Prust ($0.800m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Michael Rupp ($1.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.250m)
Michael Del Zotto ($2.500m) / Tim Erixon ($1.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

BUYOUTS: Chris Drury ($1.666m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,558,334; BONUSES: $1,987,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $741,666

It's doable.
We're going to have a 20 man roster next year? Doubt it. And what if the cap goes down? It's not even worth commenting on the next 2 years.

You've made a ton of assumptions and haven't proven anything.

Parise will not be a Ranger. You can quote me on that.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:26 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Every year it's the same story as to what's going to happen with the salary cap. And every year the result is the same. The NHLPA will NOT allow the salary cap to remain stagnant, much less decrease. It's not in their interests to just let that happen, not without significant rollbacks in salaries that include teams paying those salaries upfront to cover the losses at bare minimum. The small market teams that reducing the cap would benefit would end up forking over millions of dollars upfront to cover a rollback, ensuring that if it got that far, a vote would surely be turned down.
Take a look at the last CBA negotiation for what the players will and won't accept. The league is going to push for a reduction in the player percentage. The NFL did and the players caved. The NBA did and the players caved.

The point is, none of us really knows what is going to happen, but we know what the league is going to try to do. Adding a long term, 7.5 mil contract when the salary cap is so uncertain would be beyond foolish.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Dfence033

Quote:
We're going to have a 20 man roster next year? Doubt it. And what if the cap goes down? It's not even worth commenting on the next 2 years.

What assumptions are those? Everyone said Richards wouldn't be signing for short of $8 mil/year caphit. I took the HIGH end of what Parise will likely get (given that this is, by all reports, the death of the "retirement" contract, and Parise will be looking for one, I can assure you). Not much of an assumption there. I assumed Del Zotto will be making $2.5 million/year as an RFA with spending one entire season (and not even his first) in the AHL, which I don't feel is going to be far off from what reality is. That roster alone leaves enough space for a 13th forward or 7th defenseman on the cheap ($800k got us Stralman this year). And I "assume" that the salary cap will not be going down, seeing as how everyone was 100% certain it would go down for this upcoming season, and it still rose because of the NHLPA. Do you think they back down now? I think that's an even bigger assumption. Farther down the line, my assumption is Boyle and Dubinsky can net ANYTHING of value beyond just capspace if needed. If you think otherwise, then...

Parise may not be a Ranger. But to not even explore the possibility is asinine. All I did was show that it's a possibility, and as such, should be at the very least entertained as a thought.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:

Same. And for it being "doable" next year with a scrimping 20 man roster, that leaves us exactly nothing to move the year after when McDonagh, Stepan, and Anisimov are up for contracts and Gaborik still has a year left on his deal.

We have our prized FA acquisitions. We aren't getting any more.

01-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Calad
Section 422

I'll pass on parise any day, we need to be able to resign our kids.

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:36 PM
skroob**

Quote:
Take a look at the last CBA negotiation for what the players will and won't accept. The league is going to push for a reduction in the player percentage. The NFL did and the players caved. The NBA did and the players caved.

The point is, none of us really knows what is going to happen, but we know what the league is going to try to do. Adding a long term, 7.5 mil contract when the salary cap is so uncertain would be beyond foolish.
I can see the % rolling down a bit, but it would almost have to either account for (1) a roll-back across the board, which was done in the past or (2) existing deals get grandfathered in at ~90% cap rate or whatever (as in, players get their actual dollar value, but it gets marked down on the cap sheets at a reduced rate).

There are far too many long-term deals, which most teams have now, to just ignore them in a new CBA. They will have to be accounted for in an equitable way.

In other words, signing a "Parise" likely wont handcuff a team in this scenario.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

I think Torterella is a big part of this success and a part of our long term success. He has had the chance to see what alot of our young guys can do. He knows the strengths and weaknesses of this team. He is getting the most out of his players (sans Dubi for the first 1/3rd of the season).

I don't think its any accident that we are leading the conference despite having a defense that has been decimated by injuries and a few injuries up front. That is where having a great organizational system and coaching come into play.

The one thing I like most about Torts is he is willing to admit he was wrong and adjust things. Like the first season when he tried to play a run and gun game and hope that Lundqvist could ALWAYS out duel the other goalie. Not keeping the same failed line combinations together like Renney did. He has constantly made adjustments and while some may think its a common sense thing to make the easy adjustments, believe me its not and alot of times pride gets in the way.

01-03-2012, 01:39 PM
OverTheCap

I find it odd how a thread that praises our homegrown core somehow turns into a discussion about acquiring a free agent. That seems to be the antithesis of what Custance was getting at in his article.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Dfence033

Quote:

The NFL and NBA never pushed for a reduction in the status quo once the legal battles started. They pushed for a reduction in the demands on the PA's for those two organizations, and still got their wish. Both the NBA and NFL "salary caps" will remain the same next season, despite their "hardline" stance on getting it decreased. The biggest difference between the NHL and those two is that the CBA won't expire until the 2012-2013 season is nearly set to begin, meaning that the NHLPA will push to get their yearly increase following this season, allowing teams to sign players under the increased cap. The only thing that can then be done is on September 16th (or whenever the new CBA is published), is a salary rollback, ensuring that all EXISTING salaries are accounted for under the new agreement. If the Rangers sign Parise before the CBA expires, his contract will be rolled back along with everyone elses. Then you can surely kiss goodbye any significant raises to RFA's and high-priced UFAs around the league, including the Rangers, which still leaves them sitting in a relatively fine spot after signing a Parise-caliber player.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:43 PM
gluvhand

The teams aren't going to ask for something that is going to penalize the majority of them. It doesn't matter what Bettman "wants". It's what his bosses want. They will want a higher % of money made. Percentage of the cut and salary cap aren't neccesarily tied to each other. If they get the over 50% the owners in other leagues get I think they flex on the cap reduction.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Dfence033

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I find it odd how a thread that praises our homegrown core somehow turns into a discussion about acquiring a free agent. That seems to be the antithesis of what Custance was getting at in his article.
Honestly, I don't care what the media has to say about this team. The Rangers are doing very well with what they have, and while there is no pressing NEED to change it, if you can add an 80-point, Selke caliber wing, the one piece that is universally agreed upon this team missing from being a legitimate Cup contender, without affecting a major roster shakeup and doing so without drastically altering the teams future direction, you do it. It's great that this version of the Rangers is so homegrown, but until they get a jack-pot forward pick or a top-3 draft-choice, they will still need to complement that core with big-ticket FAs in the spots the organization as a whole is lacking in.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:54 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
What assumptions are those?
How much Parise, MDZ and Biron will get next year.
That Miller will even make the team.
That we will apparently have no injuries since we only have a 20 man roster and 700k cap space.
That the cap won't go down or that something else won't change in the CBA that would hurt our cap flexibility.
That we'll trade Dubinsky and Boyle and magically have enough cap space to re-sign everyone else for the next 2 years.

Quote:
Everyone said Richards wouldn't be signing for short of $8 mil/year caphit.
Who is this everyone you speak of? Go back and look at my posts or RangerBoy's posts. It was obvious that Richards would get a retirement contract that would put his cap hit between 6 and 7 mil, which is what we and a few others said repeatedly.

Quote:
I took the HIGH end of what Parise will likely get (given that this is, by all reports, the death of the "retirement" contract, and Parise will be looking for one, I can assure you). Not much of an assumption there. I assumed Del Zotto will be making $2.5 million/year as an RFA with spending one entire season (and not even his first) in the AHL, which I don't feel is going to be far off from what reality is. That roster alone leaves enough space for a 13th forward or 7th defenseman on the cheap ($800k got us Stralman this year). And I "assume" that the salary cap will not be going down, seeing as how everyone was 100% certain it would go down for this upcoming season, and it still rose because of the NHLPA. Do you think they back down now? I think that's an even bigger assumption. Farther down the line, my assumption is Boyle and Dubinsky can net ANYTHING of value beyond just capspace if needed. If you think otherwise, then...
Yeah, you took the high end on Parise, but you still don't have the cap space for injury callups. And last year they weren't negotiating a new CBA. Big difference.

Quote:
Parise may not be a Ranger. But to not even explore the possibility is asinine. All I did was show that it's a possibility, and as such, should be at the very least entertained as a thought.
Sure, it's a possibility if everything breaks right. But guess what? Parise is going to sign in July. The CBA probably won't be done until September. Are you going to give Parise 7.5 mil a year (I doubt he's signing a retirement contract at age 27) with the looming possibility of the cap dropping 2 months later?

Yeah, likely in that scenario the drop wouldn't come until 2013, but it would still cause us problems. Spending the money and then crossing our fingers and hoping it all works out doesn't sound like a very good plan.

Last edited by GAGLine: 01-03-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old
01-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
That we will apparently have no injuries since we only have a 20 man roster and 700k cap space.
That the cap won't go down or that something else won't change in the CBA that would hurt our cap flexibility.
That we'll trade Dubinsky and Boyle and magically have enough cap space to re-sign everyone else for the next 2 years.

Who is this everyone you speak of? Go back and look at my posts or RangerBoy's posts. It was obvious that Richards would get a retirement contract that would put his cap hit between 6 and 7 mil, which is what we and a few others said repeatedly.

Yeah, you took the high end on Parise, but you still don't have the cap space for injury callups. And last year they weren't negotiating a new CBA. Big difference.

Sure, it's a possibility if everything breaks right. But guess what? Parise is going to sign in July. The CBA probably won't be done until September. Are you going to give Parise 7.5 mil a year (I doubt he's signing a retirement contract at age 27) with the looming possibility of the cap dropping 2 months later?

Spending the money and then crossing our fingers and hoping it all works out doesn't sound like a very good plan.
Why was it so obvious. Other teams offered him upwards of 7.5 million a year if I am not mistaken. It was not a forgone conclusion that he was going to sign for his current cap hit and the majority here thought he would sign for well over 7 mil per.

Im glad you and RB said what you said but your opinion doesn't weigh in for the entirety of the boards. You make it seem as if your opinions and those "few others" are all that matters on a website with thousands of Rangers fans.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:08 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
It's funny how whenever posters were hopeful about this exact scenario unfolding at this exact time ( being good around 2012-2013 and having a core set up for multiple years) there were certain posters who went out of their way to be complete a**holes in their denial that it was even possible to build a good team and they are nowhere to be found on the boards now.
I agree.

I could name a few. But I won't. Im just enjoying this team.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:13 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Why was it so obvious. Other teams offered him upwards of 7.5 million a year if I am not mistaken. It was not a forgone conclusion that he was going to sign for his current cap hit and the majority here thought he would sign for well over 7 mil per.

Im glad you and RB said what you said but your opinion doesn't weigh in for the entirety of the boards. You make it seem as if your opinions and those "few others" are all that matters on a website with thousands of Rangers fans.
That wasn't my intention. I was just refuting Dfence's assertion that EVERYONE thought he would have a higher cap hit.

It's entirely possible that the cap won't go down. It's entirely possible that the cap will go down, but not until 2013. The bottom line is that we don't know, and adding a big contract before we know what is going to happen is very risky for a player we don't really need.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post

The majority here thought he would sign for well over 7m per, despite the fact that there were repeated articles and informed individuals saying that it was unlikely to happen. Not his and RB's fault that they put more weight in the opinions of those in the industry than they put in the "majority opinion" and you shouldn't be annoyed at the people who actually pay attention.

No team gave him a serious offer of over $7.5m, meaning that the only teams that did were never seriously in the running to begin with.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Dfence033

Quote:

Spending the money and then crossing our fingers and hoping it all works out doesn't sound like a very good plan.
Okay, well in your infinite wisdom then, how much do you think MDZ, Biron, and Parise will be getting this off-season? You seem to have agreed that Parise at $7.5 is high. If Parise signs at a Richards-like contract, the team has $1.8 million in capspace to play with in even of an injury (plus call-ups, etc). If you even read the rest of it, you'd see that Miller was there because he has a current contract and Kreider does not, I went on to state that ONE of the two would be there.

If the cap goes down, the contracts will be rolled-back accordingly. The NHLPA will not allow the NHL to decrease the cap and FORCE teams to trade contracts to teams still below the cap. Not only that, but if the NHL even tried that, the publicity hit would be enormous. Nothing that is done up until September the 15th, 2012 is going to change the cap flexibility of any NHL franchise going forward. And if anything changes after that date, appropriate responses will be made to ensure that those current contracts are altered to adjust for the changes.

Magically have cap space after trading $5.9 million off of it? Yeah, really magical. If I had suggested trading Wade Redden for cap space, then fine. But the two pieces suggested would likely garner a substantial bit of interest, enough to be worth making the trade for cap AND return reasons.

And why doubt Parise signs a retirement contract at 27? It's highly likely for the very reason you suggest (uncertainty going forward). He, like every fan, media member, NHL franchise, and NHL player or prospect know that September 15th will mark the death of the retirement contract. It will be the last summer UFAs can sign those types of contracts and get paid hefty sums of money for the duration of their careers.

The point I was making is that signing Parise, even to the highest-end he will be seeing (reasonably), is a realistic option with VERY minimal loss. A few tweaks here or there, and the Rangers are comfortably under the cap with a shiny new legitimate top-line LW and a true Cup contender. I'm not saying, "YES FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD GO SIGN HIM!" I'm saying it's foolish to not even look at the possibility, especially if any NHL GMs share your scared sentiments and back out of certain players due to the price, driving down the cost of guys like Parise even further.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Dfence033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
The majority here thought he would sign for well over 7m per, despite the fact that there were repeated articles and informed individuals saying that it was unlikely to happen. Not his and RB's fault that they put more weight in the opinions of those in the industry than they put in the "majority opinion" and you shouldn't be annoyed at the people who actually pay attention.

No team gave him a serious offer of over $7.5m, meaning that the only teams that did were never seriously in the running to begin with.
That's pure speculation on your part. The offers from other teams were never made public, and one very interested customer made a "Very substantial" offer to him, but refused to do the retirement contract route. If you think that that offer was short of $7.5 million cap hit, given that it wasn't a retirement contract, and the tremendous pressure upon that GM to sign a top-line center in a huge media market with cash to spare, I think that's incredibly short-sighted. What "industry professionals" were saying he was signing for under $7 mil? I'd like to see those. There were a large number that were blown away at his final cap hit.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:

Yeah... See I remember the complete opposite. I remember rumors of Calgary preparing to offer him something like 8years 64 mill and so on and plenty of articles being posted on here about how its possible Richards would get well upwards of 7 million. As a matter of fact, Dreger reported on TSN on the first day of free agent on the trade centre show on NHLN Frenzy about a Calgary offer of at least 8 million per.

How can you talk about informed posters/sources/articles and then have pure speculation with nothing to back it up?

There are very few "informed posters" who have any sort legitimate connections. The few are well connected, but many are not IMO.

Never said I was annoyed of anything and the arrogance here is getting to pathetic levels.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Calgary was never in serious running and they knew it, which is why their offer was so high. Desperation offers are not serious ones.

Speculation? All you've been discussing is speculation.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:34 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Magically have cap space after trading $5.9 million off of it? Yeah, really magical. If I had suggested trading Wade Redden for cap space, then fine. But the two pieces suggested would likely garner a substantial bit of interest, enough to be worth making the trade for cap AND return reasons.
Do you know how much salary we'd have to take back? No, you don't. Do you know how big of a raise our RFAs will get? No, you don't. Do you know what the cap will be in 2013? No, you don't. Again, just assumptions on your part that it will work out.

Quote:
The point I was making is that signing Parise, even to the highest-end he will be seeing (reasonably), is a realistic option with VERY minimal loss. A few tweaks here or there, and the Rangers are comfortably under the cap with a shiny new legitimate top-line LW and a true Cup contender. I'm not saying, "YES FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD GO SIGN HIM!" I'm saying it's foolish to not even look at the possibility, especially if any NHL GMs share your scared sentiments and back out of certain players due to the price, driving down the cost of guys like Parise even further.
I get your point and I don't disagree that the Rangers will explore the option. What I'm saying is that ultimately, I don't believe the Rangers will sign him due to the uncertainty of the CBA. Maybe I'm wrong, but posting the numbers at this point doesn't prove anything because so many of those numbers are unknown.

That's my point.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Calgary was never in serious running and they knew it, which is why their offer was so high. Desperation offers are not serious ones.

Speculation? All you've been discussing is speculation.
Tell that to the Rangers of 1998-2004. Big desperation offers won. Out bidding the competition out of desperation because of consistent failure. We won many of those and how did that work out for us? Not well, but we still won which shows if money is the main motivator then that the player will go where the money is.

Brad already won a Stanley cup, a Conn Smythe, is over 30 and could be getting the last big contract of his career so money easily could have been the main motivation which means that Calgary's offer COULD have been taken seriously. We will never know. But to say desperation offers are not taken seriously was just completely proved moot by the history of the Rangers.