HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver @ Boston: Who should start?

View Poll Results: Who should start Saturday?
Luongo 114 78.08%
Schneider 32 21.92%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2012, 02:20 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
A marquee game not broadcast nationally in either country, and is being played @ 10:00am PST.

Can someone tell me why the NHL shouldn't be considered a "bush league" again?

It is pure stupidity that this once a year game not be brought to the forefront of every hockey fan in the world.
Guess it will have to be streams for me. FACK!

Old
01-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Even though that's a slight against our fickle fans, there's a lot of truth in that actually. Look at how the Canucks were viewed and still are viewed by many outside fans because of how the last game against the Bruins went. You would think the Canucks are a lottery team the way they are discussed and disrespected. You just watch, when playoff time comes around everyone will pick the Canucks as first round fodder and all the arguments will be based on game 7 of the finals.

It still amazes me that a team decimated by injuries, that pushes a finals to 7 games, gets so easily dismissed by the hockey community and has their accomplishments tossed out the window.
A lot of the disrespect comes from our own fanbase.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:25 PM
VanEric

All those "big" games against Chicago in the regular season were ultimately rendered meaningless in the playoffs so no, this means nothing except it would be less annoying if we won.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:27 PM
flack

It would turnout meaningful in a bad way if we were blown out. It wouldn't be that meaningful if we won.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:29 PM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
All those "big" games against Chicago in the regular season were ultimately rendered meaningless in the playoffs so no, this means nothing except it would be less annoying if we won.
It's totally a catch 22.

If we walk in their, Luongo gets a shutout and we score 5 on Thomas, all we will here is they cant get it done when it matters blah blah blah!

If we lose we still suck.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:29 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Even though that's a slight against our fickle fans, there's a lot of truth in that actually. Look at how the Canucks were viewed and still are viewed by many outside fans because of how the last game against the Bruins went. You would think the Canucks are a lottery team the way they are discussed and disrespected. You just watch, when playoff time comes around everyone will pick the Canucks as first round fodder and all the arguments will be based on game 7 of the finals.

It still amazes me that a team decimated by injuries, that pushes a finals to 7 games, gets so easily dismissed by the hockey community and has their accomplishments tossed out the window.
You know it wasn't even meant as a slight.

I'm not a fickle fan (at least I don't view myself that way) but I would say that collapsing at home in game seven of the Stanley Cup Finals was worse than losing a close-fought battle in that game would have been - but both possible outcomes are miles better than any type of loss to end the season in the Conference finals, or the first or second round.

That doesn't mean that losing the right way (eg. winning the fistfights in your losses) is more important than actually winning the games but the "last game" approach leaves room for everyone IMO.

Of course, I am hoping that this year our season ends in a win and we can all agree on how this team will be defined.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:32 PM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
It's totally a catch 22.

If we walk in their, Luongo gets a shutout and we score 5 on Thomas, all we will here is they cant get it done when it matters blah blah blah!

If we lose we still suck.
I never thought of that. I guess I'll be staying out of here the next day.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Moore Money

good test for the secondary scoring. Too bad Booth and Higgins aren't ready to play.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:37 PM
ddawg1950

It'll be a marquee game. But the season defining game will be the last one we play in the playoffs and I expect we'll win it.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:39 PM
GTHP95

Can we have Schneider to start please? I don't want Roberto to get injured on a matinee game.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTHP95 View Post
Can we have Schneider to start please? I don't want Roberto to get injured on a matinee game.
I think the Canucks should take full advantage of the fact that Schneider will have tons of family and friends in for the game and start him. Avoid the media circus all together.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:53 PM
VanEric

Quote:
He's played a bunch of matinee games since the injury and generally plays well in them including one in Boston where we were terrible and he got us a point.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
These are the games Luongo is paid to play in. He's our "Big game" goalie.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
I think the Canucks should take full advantage of the fact that Schneider will have tons of family and friends in for the game and start him. Avoid the media circus all together.
IT's gonna be a circus regardless. IF they don't play Lu. The fans will be chanting "where is luongo?"

IF he's in net.. "PUMP MY TIRES"

Old
01-03-2012, 03:03 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
IT's gonna be a circus regardless. IF they don't play Lu. The fans will be chanting "where is luongo?"

IF he's in net.. "PUMP MY TIRES"
However, much like some of his return visits to Chicago, it would be great to see him silence the crowd with a great performance. He's certainly playing well enough to turn one in right now.

Old
01-03-2012, 03:14 PM
keslehr*

Just get the win - not season defining at all.

Old
01-03-2012, 03:15 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
good test for the secondary scoring. Too bad Booth and Higgins aren't ready to play.
Higgins is playing now.

I assume Schnuu gets the start since it's an early game and we all know what happened to Lu during a matinee game once. And all his family will be there.

Old
01-03-2012, 03:19 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Not playoffs...

Old
01-03-2012, 03:26 PM
serge2k

They already lost the games htat mattered against boston.

Old
01-03-2012, 04:02 PM
M A K A V E L I*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Starting Luongo when any other team would allow the 'home-town' goalie to play makes AV look like he's got too much to prove.

Lu doesn't have to prove ****, and giving the media something to feast on would be a bad idea. Schneider's been good, Lu's played a lot lately. Schuu's parents and family will be there, I'd think it was a dick move to not let him start on a regular season game.
The media is going to criticize the goalie choice no matter who starts. If it's Luongo, it'll be what you mentioned. If Schneider gets the start they'll say the Canucks are trying to protect Luongo's fragile confidence in Bahston.

Old
01-03-2012, 04:03 PM
VanIsle

Should be a great game, too bad it is at 10 in the morning.

Season defining, I don't think so, because as we all know it is all about the playoffs and if a team loses their 40th game or whatever it is, it won't be a big deal.

Both teams should win their division and contend for the Cup.

Old
01-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
This is a no win situation for the canucks. They win it means nothing. They lose and they are not good enough. There is nothing but bad about this. Only good that could come of this is if thomas hurt his groin making a save, but the Bruins are invincible to injuries it seems since the Cooker gave a concussion to Savard.

No win for the Canucks no matter what happens.

Old
01-03-2012, 04:18 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post

Season defining, I don't think so, because as we all know it is all about the playoffs and if a team loses their 40th game or whatever it is, it won't be a big deal.

Pretty much.

Both teams are very good this year, and both have weaknesses. It'll be an entertaining game, but by no means is it a measuring stick. What if the Bruins are having an off day (they're playing 3 games in 4), and the Canucks blow them out? Does that mean the Canucks are loads better? No, it does not. And vice versa.

Let the rivalry come to fruition if we meet in the SCF again,

Old
01-03-2012, 04:36 PM
YogiCanucks

Nope. If we go in, get 2 points, and get out I will be a happy man. That's all we can ask and all that it is.

Old
01-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post

I think a SCF rematch is a pretty good possibility. Would be absolutely epic. Though I really don't want to face Thomas again. Not just for the SCF, but that guy has had the Canucks number over his whole career.

Anyway, hopefully it happens and it ends up like the 2nd year of the wings vs the pens

Closed Thread